• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I did a couple days ago...

skelliespawnertrap.png

Look carefully in the waterfall.

Is there a way to improve the 3d and overlay (HUD) resolutions in this, instead of having it just stretch when I maximize my window?

Been playing this on my laptop, but I just plugged it into my monitor and wow, that's a bit much.

Awakened

Sciz said:
Terranigma music?

You are even more a man of fine tastes than you let on.
Why thank you. I still get slightly annoyed when people mention IoG in "Best Games" threads without also including Terranigma and/or Soul Blazer.

[edit]

GAFLand New World Tour

That's the last video I recorded yesterday. I walk along the road I built that goes out into an untouched region of GAFLand.

Inkwell

Banned
Awakened said:
Why thank you. I still get slightly annoyed when people mention IoG in "Best Games" threads without also including Terranigma and/or Soul Blazer.

[edit]

GAFLand New World Tour

That's the last video I recorded yesterday. I walk along the road I built that goes out into an untouched region of GAFLand.
Thanks for making these videos. I haven't gotten through all of them yet, but you do a great job of showing everything off. I've been avoiding the server because the game crashes when I play online. I'm not sure if it's been fixed with the latest update or not. Anyway, it's nice to finally see all the neat stuff people have built.

SmokestormX

Neo Member
HappyBivouac said:
Is there a way to improve the 3d and overlay (HUD) resolutions in this, instead of having it just stretch when I maximize my window?

Been playing this on my laptop, but I just plugged it into my monitor and wow, that's a bit much.

I remember a quote from Notch in his twitter last week or so saying that he's improve resolutions later down the road. I think someone asked him about reducing the size of the text overlay chat window on big resolutions.

Blizzard

Banned
OgTheClever said:
Well Notch has said that he was originally inspired for Minecraft by playing Infiniminer and wanted to do a similar concept on a much grander scale. I think the difference with Manic Digger is that they're actually stealing Minecraft's source code and just making changes to it.
I rather wish that were the case, considering that the clone is an open source project (though I couldn't find the source code easily on the site), and it would presumably give Notch the actual possibility of shutting it down.

It's apparently in C# though, so unless they actually did some automated translation of decompiled Java code to C#, then I dunno. It is a pity that it seems to be super identical, down to connecting to Minecraft servers so people don't have to buy the game. I haven't looked up anything on Infiniminer yet, but I am guessing that Minecraft has become much different than it?

Razorskin

----- ------
funkmastergeneral said:
This game feels like it could have the potential to be the best MMO ever. Worlds where you can destroy/build anything you want. Real PVP

GOD DAMN

I'm just waiting for creatures to SMP so this can be the best online survival horror game ever.

I just looked up some posts in the Manic Digger forums and it has one possible feature I'd like to have in Minecraft as well. Stress to blocks. So you cannot du floating islands and such to any degree. If it is too much they'll break off and fall down. It's not implemented in MD so far but the guy is working on it. Sounds great.

Would be cool to have something like this as an option to choose from when starting a new world.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Me (Kaitun) and my brother (Shiggy) created the huge tunnel and the upside-down pyramids in New Gafland.

The building after it ends is still under construction.

Awesome video tours, by the way. It's funny to see the world on YouTube.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Having played around with Minecraft now, I hope the direction goes more towards additions, creation, and content, and not simulation. Hearing that the developer wants to add stuff like limited burn time to torches worries me.

Also, the game needs a fucking parachute.

Been using a cartograph trick to hunt down dungeons for a few hours now. I'm hoping to find a creeper dungeon so I can rig up a water trap to it. I'm starting to think that creeper dungeons don't exist, though. :/

Inkwell

Banned
MNC said:
I just want more features and creatures. I want more! I want to be able to KEEP cows and chickens.
I would like to be able to REPEL cows, pigs, sheep, and chickens. They've overrun my mountain-top home/base. They even spawn in my greenhouse and trample my wheat.

Blizzard

Banned
Inkwell said:
I would like to be able to REPEL cows, pigs, sheep, and chickens. They've overrun my mountain-top home/base. They even spawn in my greenhouse and trample my wheat.
If you get rid of all grass I don't think they will spawn in that area, but you might like the look of the grass.

Inkwell

Banned
Yeah, I definitely don't want to get rid of my grass just outside my base. I might be able to do that in my greenhouse to an extent, but there would still be a little bit of grass. I'll have to try it out sometime.

Twig

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Been using a cartograph trick to hunt down dungeons for a few hours now. I'm hoping to find a creeper dungeon so I can rig up a water trap to it. I'm starting to think that creeper dungeons don't exist, though. :/
They don't.

Quixzlizx

Inkwell said:
Yeah, I definitely don't want to get rid of my grass just outside my base. I might be able to do that in my greenhouse to an extent, but there would still be a little bit of grass. I'll have to try it out sometime.

If you need to make walkways in your greenhouse without the use of dirt, yet still want a natural surface, gravel would be a good choice.

Vlad

CoolS said:
Wouldn't have helped, the lava was too deep :(

Yeah, I'm going to do that from now on. Fuck, tninking about it still makes me sad about how stupid I was.

Of course, a little over a day after offering my sage advice about setting up a storage room in caves, I decide to go wandering around in a newly-discovered cave without a chest or the stuff to make one. Unfortunately, this cave is not only huge and mazelike, but absolutely swarming with monsters. I think I clear the area behind me, and I get an arrow in the back as I'm mining all the good stuff down there. After running out of pickaxes, I start heading back up, and it seems that one branch of this horrible cave system had a colony of creepers or something that have decided to hang out along the path back out of the cave.

Now, if this was like a normal cave, all nice and mostly horizontal, I could carefully worm my way back, taking out creepers as I saw them, but this cave has many vertical shafts which I haven't explored yet, yet I have to go through part of them in order to get back out. At least once on this trek I had a creeper land right next to me and explode before I could get away (couldn't just back up, due to the risk of plummeting to my death down the shaft).

So, now my armor's almost gone, I'm down to one heart, I'm lost and carrying a fair amount of stuff from my mining that I have no way of storing.

New moral: listen to my own advice.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Awakened said:

[edit]

GAFLand New World Tour

I was exploring what I thought was entirely untouched territory and saw that huge cave in your video, then I saw the roads everywhere and the little lake :D

Sciz

Vlad said:
*tale of woe*
My latest tactic for this sort of situation has been to build/tunnel a stairway straight up to the surface whenever my inventory fills up. A little tiresome, but on the whole much quicker and more or less safer than backtracking through the caverns.

If you really, desperately need storage space and have no wood for chests (always, always carry a stack of logs), furnaces will work in a pinch.

Vlad

Sciz said:
My latest tactic for this sort of situation has been to build/tunnel a stairway straight up to the surface whenever my inventory fills up. A little tiresome, but on the whole much quicker and more or less safer than backtracking through the caverns.

I thought of that, but not only am I VERY far underground (and if I'm correct, I've got a mountain on top of me as well), but I don't have enough torches to light the way back up or the pickaxes that would make such a dig not take forever.

If you really, desperately need storage space and have no wood for chests (always, always carry a stack of logs), furnaces will work in a pinch.

Hmmmm... never thought of that about the furnaces....

Of course, I just realized that I can't, because I don't have the wood to make the workbench to craft the furnaces :(

I know better than to go into a cave without wood, but I just got too overconfident. That, and I've entirely deforested the area around my base, and haven't gotten around to planting more trees yet.

So yeah, I've only myself to blame.

Sciz

I've stumbled across what is easily the most extensive cavern system I've seen to date. The first entrance I found is actually a dungeon which happened to have spawned right at the surface. I've since found half a dozen other major and minor entrances, and have come up with four or five full inventories of loot so far.

2cx9nwp.jpg

There seems to be no end to the branching paths, and if I hadn't come up so far from my initial entrance last time (under the ocean!) I'd swear it wraps around on itself in non-Euclidean space.

Xzior

Was a bit bored last night so I built this, took me long enough.. cutting down trees and waiting for the damn saplings to grow. That part was not fun, but the end result was worth it :D

UVEzU.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Awakened said:

[edit]

GAFLand New World Tour

Great, now I wish I built my road going to my little wood shirne.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
HenryGale said:
wiki has been down for days. How the hell do I make a pressure plate or lever for my iron door!? :(

Google site:http://www.minecraftwiki.net crafting and click the small Cached link

But a pressure plate is just three wood or smooth stone blocks going across the bottom. Lever is a stick above a cobblestone block.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Verdre said:
Google site:http://www.minecraftwiki.net crafting and click the small Cached link

But a pressure plate is just three wood or smooth stone blocks going across the bottom. Lever is a stick above a cobblestone block.
I am still annoyed that when I tried to make a wood floor, I instead produced a ton of preasure plates :lol

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/977394407/lots-of-stuff-going-on-behind-the-scenes

The last couple of weeks have been pretty crazy. Lots of different people have wanted to talk to me, and I’m spending a lot of time trying to decide where to take Minecraft and Mojang (the company making Minecraft).

I’m going away on a personal trip to Finland next week, and the day after I get back, I’m flying to northwestern USA to speak to some of my idols.

I like being totally transparent, but since this involves third party people, I don’t know how much I can say; but I can tell you what I want.

I would love to hire some people and set up a small development studio in Stockholm. This would include additional programmers, and someone in charge of the website and community features. And an artist that can make a nicer glass texture.
I am not interested in changing the openness of how minecraft is developed, nor do I have any intention of selling the product to anyone else; I want to be the one developing it.

My development speed has gone down lately because of all this crazy cool but scary stuff happening, but I promise you it will go up again soon, regardless of what happens.

As to my trip to the US; I will be in Bellevue, Washington from August 30 to September 2. I don’t know exactly what my schedule is yet, but I’d be more than willing to meet players from that area as long as you promise not to be creepy. ;) We can try to work out the details over twitter.

Oh shit :D

Inkwell

Banned
I made a video of my base in minecraft. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVm0F4bL43g

I was going to narrate and explain a few things, but it appears I have to be practically chewing on my microphone before it decides to pick up any audio, even with the volume and mic boost up all the way. Also, this is my first time ever making/uploading a video so let me know if there are any issues. This was really more of a test video, so it's nothing that special.

Anyway, It's pretty small. I originally wanted to make something similar to Frank Lloyd Wright's falling water (in gigantic castle sized fashion). I may do that at another time, but I would like to wait until we at least get some more colors for the different types of blocks.

Inkwell said:
I made a video of my base in minecraft. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVm0F4bL43g

I was going to narrate and explain a few things, but it appears I have to be practically chewing on my microphone before it decides to pick up any audio, even with the volume and mic boost up all the way. Also, this is my first time ever making/uploading a video so let me know if there are any issues. This was really more of a test video, so it's nothing that special.

Anyway, It's pretty small. I originally wanted to make something similar to Frank Lloyd Wright's falling water (in gigantic castle sized fashion). I may do that at another time, but I would like to wait until we at least get some more colors for the different types of blocks.

Dude that green house is sweet!

Inkwell

Banned
HenryGale said:
Dude that green house is sweet!
Thanks. It took quite a few glass blocks. It was annoying when I would accidentally place one somewhere it shouldn't be, considering you can't get it back once you destroy it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So is there an upper limit on how tall trees will grow left on their own? And how should I maximize tree growth? I want to just plant some and let it sit and come back hours later to a giant multi-tree just waiting for my treehouse of awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom