• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgnhh

Neo Member
hey if anyone wants to build a room/area on my floating city, just let me know how big you want the floorplan (ie 10x15) and I can make a space for you. so far I have a diving game area and a separate viewing room for it, and a fountain plaza.

Hey everyone I have a question. With all the updates ect, I am getting worried about losing my save data. Just in case, you know something goes wrong. SO how the hell can I back this up.

Also I'm running OSX. Ive become rather attached to my world and put a lot of work into it, and would love to not lose it.

Blizzard

Banned
HenryGale said:
Hey everyone I have a question. With all the updates ect, I am getting worried about losing my save data. Just in case, you know something goes wrong. SO how the hell can I back this up.

Also I'm running OSX. Ive become rather attached to my world and put a lot of work into it, and would love to not lose it.
I've backed up the entire world directory. There should be a directory for each world you have saved, though I don't know the exact OSX location.

Since those directories are not very big but have a TON of files, it may be faster to make a zip that contains the world directory, and back that up. The second thing you would theoretically have to do is make sure you have run the client once, and then back all the client files up. Unless there is some magic check that's not contained in the client/config files, you should be able to play in offline mode with those as long as you are completely disconnected from a router/the internet. That is presumably the only way that you can protect yourself from updates.

Also, I think Notch warns not to get too attached to your world as he may decide to totally break backwards compatibility when the game comes out of beta or something. :p

commissar

Blizzard said:
Also, I think Notch warns not to get too attached to your world as he may decide to totally break backwards compatibility when the game comes out of beta or something. :p
I have an "old" folder containing the previous 1.0.1.5 .exe and the last directory for it just in case.
Still need to make some screenshots of my houses sometime.

Kuran

Banned
HenryGale said:

Library/Application Support/Minecraft <- just create an archive of this whole directory by right clicking on it

Kuran said:
Library/Application Support/Minecraft <- just create an archive of this whole directory by right clicking on it

Blizzard said:
I've backed up the entire world directory. There should be a directory for each world you have saved, though I don't know the exact OSX location.

Since those directories are not very big but have a TON of files, it may be faster to make a zip that contains the world directory, and back that up. The second thing you would theoretically have to do is make sure you have run the client once, and then back all the client files up. Unless there is some magic check that's not contained in the client/config files, you should be able to play in offline mode with those as long as you are completely disconnected from a router/the internet. That is presumably the only way that you can protect yourself from updates.

Thank you both, okay no more crafting for today. Time to let my game run over night so my grass may grow. Lots of new land that needs some green :D

OatmealMu

Anyone who PMed me should now have member access to Gafland.

Razorskin said:
Hey Oatmeal, have you considered putting the server up at http://minecraft.abyssal-legion.com/serverstatus/ ? It would allow us gaffers to see whether the server is online or not, also hides the ip and website. I could do it myself but since it's your sever it would be kind of rude.
I'll look into it.

GDJustin said:
Oatmeal, what's the plan for the server when SMP gets farther along? Once it's in a more near-final state it seems like it might be a good idea to start a server from scratch, since there are spawned diamond blocks in projects, etc.

But it would also be a shame to lose all that work.
The server isn't long term. It's just for testing and for people to get to grips with SMP. Once (if?) someone else sets up a dedicated host, I'll put the map on dropbox and shut things down on my end. Whether they continue to use the map or not is up to them.

just started with this. half an hour with classic and i bought the alpha.. sooooo awesome can't believe i put off trying it out for so long. just inspected gafland, some great work there (and peins peins peins oh god!)

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I put in some serious Minecraft hours tonight for the first time in a couple weeks. Feels good, man.

Without fail, whenever I'm burnt out, if I stay away for a while when I come back I'll have plenty of ideas for new things to build. I built a glass tube/descending stairway from my house down to my mining complex today. The plan is to build a second outer layer of glass, and then fill the space in between with lava :D :D That was I'll have to (get to?) descend down a lava tube whenever I want to mine. God help me if a Creeper ever gets near.

I also have a little "fuck yeah" Minecraft moment. Feel free to share yours:

When you're mining out the final square of a coal vein in a corner, and destroying it reveals three more coal blocks:

Fuck_Yea.PNG

Mik2121

Did they change something on minecraft.net or something? I've been playing Classic for a few days already, but now it takes forever to load, even though before it would only take a few seconds..

What's up with that?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
OatmealMu said:
Love it, you can see my road to the south, parts of the tunnel road I built to New Gaf Land in the east, and my tiny shine to the West. I guess now I need to go NORTH!

Edit: Odd, there seems to be a road going to a lake nearish to where I have my Shrine to the West. With the lake lining up with my shrine, I think I may build a road going to that lake :D

OatmealMu said:
The server isn't long term. It's just for testing and for people to get to grips with SMP. Once (if?) someone else sets up a dedicated host, I'll put the map on dropbox and shut things down on my end. Whether they continue to use the map or not is up to them.

This simultaneously makes me sad and happy.
Sad to see ye olde GAFland go into the sunset.
Happy to see that a pure, untainted GAFland will arise, hopefully with server side inventories and day-night cycles :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
BakugekiNZ said:
This simultaneously makes me sad and happy.
Sad to see ye olde GAFland go into the sunset.
Happy to see that a pure, untainted GAFland will arise, hopefully with server side inventories and day-night cycles :)
On the one hand, day/night and server side inventories will most likely be up in 2 weeks, which seems sort of short to give up on land, on the other the sooner we get a new map, the less painful it will be.

Though I don't see the need to change maps. Someone even stole all the spawned in diamonds people keep brining up :lol

Kritz

Banned
BakugekiNZ said:
Where were you before?

I was hosting our own little AusGAF server, but because I don't have a dedicated PC for minecraft servering, and I work full time, I couldn't hold AusGAF's demand. We'll probably still play on it if we can't get into Oatmeal's server for whatever reason.

Tempy said:
You mean the giraffe WITH A PEEING PENIS.

>_> surprisingly or not, that wasn't anyone greifing. Well... unless you ask Untoldhero or Aon. I like to think of it as an empowering improvement.

Brazil said:
The AusGiraffe is right by the entrance to my tunnel - which, by the way, I finished earlier today.

Yeah sorry, I kinda realised after I told everyone to set up there, that people had put some stuff under and around us. We'll try not to ruin it.

Shawsie64

Banned
Hey guys sorry prob been asked million times but whats the gaf server?

Edit: got in but server timed out :( amazing work though guys at first i didnt get the point of this game but now it is very clear, amazing

Shawsie64

Banned
gifife said:
Guess i tried to join the oatmeal server at the wrong time, 5 minutes before the back up. Now cant get back in :(

haha same i saw you on chat :) so what does that mean? its down for a while during backup?

ijed

only just started playing this ... zomg this is pure crack - if it ever gets onto a handheld i'll be playing this till the government takes mah babiez.

Engine is awesome and can see nothing but potential - random terrain for you to mould at your will? So cool - has any sim ever come close to giving the player this much freedom?

Kritz said:
I was hosting our own little AusGAF server, but because I don't have a dedicated PC for minecraft servering, and I work full time, I couldn't hold AusGAF's demand. We'll probably still play on it if we can't get into Oatmeal's server for whatever reason.

A little ausgaf server would be sweet - Gafland sounds like a nice place to visit but don't think I'd want to live there ... reckon if I was afk for a couple minutes I'd come back to find myself entombed in a peins :lol

Kritz

Banned
ijed said:
only just started playing this ... zomg this is pure crack - if it ever gets onto a handheld i'll be playing this till the government takes mah babiez.

Engine is awesome and can see nothing but potential - random terrain for you to mould at your will? So cool - has any sim ever come close to giving the player this much freedom?

A little ausgaf server would be sweet - Gafland sounds like a nice place to visit but don't think I'd want to live there ... reckon if I was afk for a couple minutes I'd come back to find myself entombed in a peins :lol

Well I'm planning to build a PC to run server software from at some point, so if I do that I can get a 24/7 minecraft server going nicely.

If you want, join the AusGAF steam group with everyone else and we can arrange tiems to play. Currently Rahk, Aon, Orbi, Untoldhero and myself are the main AusGAFers into Minecraft.

No promises about the penis thing, though.

ijed

Kritz said:
If you want, join the AusGAF steam group with everyone else and we can arrange tiems to play.

ta - I can make a big pineapple to go with the big banana ... speaking of which

Tempy said:
God, someone gave Megaman a gold penis. I'm going to remove that.

EDIT: And while I was typing that Brandtsk removed it.

Please someone make a dungeon with that in the bottom ... It could be the quest for the golden phallus :p

Love GAFland, just wish it was online more often

I hope when mobs, day/night, and treasure are in the game we have a greater emphasis on teamwork rather than gallivanting around the country side though.

commissar

blew a MASSIVE hole in a mountain with untold today. maybe 4-500 boxes of tnt all told?

also vistited the gaf server and had an explore. the treehouse is awesome, and all those little pagodas and winding sand paths coupled with wheat etc. were really well done.

Inspiring stuff :)

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Forgive the stupid questions, I attempted to read through the thread to find the answers but I couldn't find them (although I am sure they have been answered somewhere).

1. Is there a way in single player to view an overhead map? I read somewhere that you can find dungeons by checking the map for cobblestone you didn't make.

2. Why do I have so much trouble finding iron ore? I have been playing for a week now, two different worlds, digging like a mad man, and have found more redstone than I have iron ore. Are there any characteristics that I should know about that indicate where iron ore might be? Or is it just blind luck?

3. So I was a dumb ass and in a drunken haze, I dug myself deep into a mountain before realizing I had no torches. So my first world's character is trapped in the pitch dark inside a mountain with no way to escape. Is there a way to suicide myself in the darkness with little tools at my disposal? I am already quite fond of my second world but it would help to know in case I do something stupid again.

Razorskin

----- ------
missbreedsiddx said:
Forgive the stupid questions, I attempted to read through the thread to find the answers but I couldn't find them (although I am sure they have been answered somewhere).

1. Is there a way in single player to view an overhead map? I read somewhere that you can find dungeons by checking the map for cobblestone you didn't make.

2. Why do I have so much trouble finding iron ore? I have been playing for a week now, two different worlds, digging like a mad man, and have found more redstone than I have iron ore. Are there any characteristics that I should know about that indicate where iron ore might be? Or is it just blind luck?

3. So I was a dumb ass and in a drunken haze, I dug myself deep into a mountain before realizing I had no torches. So my first world's character is trapped in the pitch dark inside a mountain with no way to escape. Is there a way to suicide myself in the darkness with little tools at my disposal? I am already quite fond of my second world but it would help to know in case I do something stupid again.

1.There are two options for overhead map viewing, you can use the Infinite Map Visualizer found on the minecraft website. Just log in to your account there and you can see an isometric view of your maps. What you would want to use to find dungeons is a program called Cartographer. Better than the map viewer on the official website as there are more options and you can view your maps in different ways. You can use Cartogrpaher to find dungeons by using this guide.

2. I don't really have any tips to find iron, but you don't need to dig down deep to find any. I find much of it above sea level in mountains.

3. You could use INVedit to put some torches in your character's inventory.

siddx

Razorskin said:
1.There are two options for overhead map viewing, you can use the Infinite Map Visualizer found on the minecraft website. Just log in to your account there and you can see an isometric view of your maps. What you would want to use to find dungeons is a program called Cartographer. Better than the map viewer on the official website as there are more options and you can view your maps in different ways. You can use Cartogrpaher to find dungeons by using this guide.

2. I don't really have any tips to find iron, but you don't need to dig down deep to find any. I find much of it above sea level in mountains.

3. You could use INVedit to put some torches in your character's inventory.

Thanks! Although i'm realizing I really should have downloaded the game onto my PC rather than my Mac, although its more convenient on the mac. I can't seem to find the cartographer program for mac.

Oh and also, is there an easier way that I'm just not seeing to build a skybridge besides risking falling death by inching out onto the edge of the last block in order to place the next one along the side of it? (if that makes sense lol)

Razorskin

----- ------
missbreedsiddx said:
Thanks! Although i'm realizing I really should have downloaded the game onto my PC rather than my Mac, although its more convenient on the mac. I can't seem to find the cartographer program for mac.

Oh and also, is there an easier way that I'm just not seeing to build a skybridge besides risking falling death by inching out onto the edge of the last block in order to place the next one along the side of it? (if that makes sense lol)

Cartographer and INVedit aren't available for macs. For bridge making it's either you get really good at edge building or make scaffolding.

siddx

Razorskin said:
Cartographer and INVedit aren't available for macs. For bridge making it's either you get really good at edge building or make scaffolding.

Ah figured as much. Yeah I tried scaffolding but didn't like the extra mess. I may try it again though. I have a loooooooong way to go with my skybridge and I was getting tired of hoofing it back up whenever I fell to my death

Picked up the game yesterday and I think I've already put more time into this than I have any other game in a long time. Turned on the peaceful mode as I just wanted to build without hearing the zombies and all outside. Probably turn them back on when I need some string and whatever else the other enemies drop.

Gonna have to read up on scaffolding as I want to start making some bridges.

Also, any easy way to create a private server for some friends and I to play on? We're all on Mac's and couldn't figure out how to run the software and then get on. I have an extra computer so we were going to try to use that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
missbreedsiddx said:

For 2, its all about luck. Its there, you just can't find it. I tend to find a lot of it about 15 blocks below sea.

For 3, try to find some gravel underground and get under it, to suffocate your self. Also, do you have no wood on hand, you could fashion tools and torches on site if you do.

roman2k

God, I hate this game. I was about to leave my cave when I found a new hidden route and an even larger cave system as I have imagined. Two hours later I've collected about 100 iron and 60 gold ores, 4 diamonds when two zombies jumped me out of nowhere. I died instantly even with full hearts and armor. I don't know how I managed to get back there in just under 5 minutes but all my items were already gone :(

Zomba13

Whenever I visit this topic I want to buy it more and more. Should I take the leap and get it? I quite enjoy the free classic version and I really want to play on gafland.

MNC

Zomba13 said:
Whenever I visit this topic I want to buy it more and more. Should I take the leap and get it? I quite enjoy the free classic version and I really want to play on gafland.
You should've bought it waaaaaay back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom