• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know about Notch, but in that comic Kingdom of Loathing is mentioned. I fucking loved that game, and actually made a new character a few weeks ago for nostalgia's sake. Is Notch associated with KoL or vice-versa? Either way we need a Sneaky Pete mask/helmet.

Zomba13 said:
Whenever I visit this topic I want to buy it more and more. Should I take the leap and get it? I quite enjoy the free classic version and I really want to play on gafland.

I just bought it yesterday after fiddling around with the free version when this topic was first posted and I love it even more. There's something about gathering all your materials that makes it infinitely more enjoyable than just having an unlimited supply.

By the way, anyway to turn off night or at least lower how dark it gets? I'm building in peaceful mode at the moment and I'm tired from switching between my outside house and cave. Would be nice if I could just work outside for a long time without resorting to torches.

Zomba13

Been playing since my last post in single player. Made a little wooden shack and it's back is a mine. Found some lava and fell in it and died and struggled to get back to my house. Managed to find it thanks to the front torches. It's so much better and more rewarding than in classic.

Blizzard

Banned
I think classic is cool for people who like pure construction and interesting visual effects, or at least whatever effects are possible with the limited tileset. Classic is cool if you like working and surviving.

Also, is the server ever NOT full? I have this horrible feeling that whenever it's running, it's constantly full of 24 people doing nothing but building penises, just so I can't join. ;_;

TylerD

Blizzard said:
I think classic is cool for people who like pure construction and interesting visual effects, or at least whatever effects are possible with the limited tileset. Classic is cool if you like working and surviving.

Also, is the server ever NOT full? I have this horrible feeling that whenever it's running, it's constantly full of 24 people doing nothing but building penises, just so I can't join. ;_;

There is limited penis building and the server max is only 12.

Blizzard

Banned
TylerD said:
There is limited penis building and the server max is only 12.
Ahhh, I guess I missed hearing about the 12-player limit. Also, I just saw the main menu text that says it's fine at 1080p but hard to read otherwise. :lol

I made my skin :)

wAawt.png

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So, yeah! Griefers in Gafland! Woo!

I was just walking down the glass path, heading to the Old Gafland, and, suddenly, BAM! I die.

0079619001282009722.png

After I respawned, I looked above, and, yeah. A giant hole with no purpose other than fuck people up.

0081239001282009722.png

And then some kids start putting penises everywhere, including in the Mega Man.

If this is how it's gonna be, I just have to say that my will to play is fading away...

Just stumbled upon my first treasure room!! There were 2 chests in the room and they had 2 bread, 4 hay/straw, 1 string, 3 buckets, 3 iron pick axes, 1 diamond, 7 gunpowder(?), and I collected 47 mossy cobblestone. I was on peaceful mode, but I'm glad because I was not prepared to be fighting any hoards of enemies.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Yeah, that is kinda funny. It's not like it really caused any harm, you didn't lose your items. Sucks if you can't tele out, though.

Twig

Banned
It's too bad some things people in this thread have totally eclipsed what I did with my floating island, but I did finish it about a week ago.

Here is a video tour complete with utterly boring narration by the me. I would advise you avoid it like the plague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7PUxoAvzks

Here are some screenshots of the final product.

And here's a few from an expedition I made on the main island when I was trying to test out my mob skins and had to hunt down a spider... D:

Twig

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
how do you get the pictures on the wall like that Twig? My huge castle could use some decoration.
I think it's one wool surrounded by planks of wood. Something like that.

Then you just right-click 'em on a wall. It'll be a random painting every time you put it up. Both in size and image. Obviously if you don't have the space for a larger painting those won't show up.

Blizzard

Banned
Brazil said:

I was just walking down the glass path, heading to the Old Gafland, and, suddenly, BAM! I die.

And then some kids start putting penises everywhere, including in the Mega Man.

If this is how it's gonna be, I just have to say that my will to play is fading away...
Well, considering some people (at least Visualante) are both GAF members and self-admitted griefers, it's not surprising. You just have to find a good server admin who bans people who do that sort of thing.

Inkwell

Banned
I've been thinking about making a video for a while now to show off my little house, but I just realized how embarrassed I would be after seeing other people's stuff.

SpacLock

filipe said:
Can some guys try connecting and see if that works?

You should probably post that in the multiplayer forum to keep unwanted people out.

Edit:

Brazil said:

Yep. Me and someone else fell down that at the same time. Lost a shitload of stuff.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
NinjaTehFish said:
Hi guys...Tried logging into gafland but its says it full....Is that the case or do i need permission now?
It's the case.

I really think we'll have to go with the TF2GAF route when the Beta launches and get a dedicated server.

OatmealMu

Listen up, server regulars.

I've decided on a timeframe for when I want to shut down Gafland -- one week after Notch's next update. After it's shut down, I'll ZIP or RAR the map and put it on my public Dropbox for anyone to download. I'll also be willing to provide my entire Minecraft folder for those interested in using my setup.

OatmealMu

Someone sent me a PM in regards to processor, memory, and bandwidth usage when running a server. For anyone else who's curious, here's the response I sent.

"Java consumes 1GB+ of memory. My processor is a 2.9GHz Athlon X4. Three of the four cores are generally below 15% usage, while one fluctuates between 30-50%. Running the server 12 hours a day with a 12-player limit transfers roughly 2-3GB on the upstream.

As of today, the Gafland folder contains 30,000+ files and is 93.5MB in size."

Keep in mind, these stats are to the best of my memory.

Minecraft Server 0.1.3 (not the inventory yet!)

* Fixed save-off
* Ops can now build in the spawn area
* Added /tell command for players to whisper something to another player
* The server logs what admin does what, and broadcasts any admin events to all connected ops
* /list will show a list of connected players to the op who issued it
Thank god, hopefully the recent influx of griefers can now be dealt with.

Blizzard said:
Well, considering some people (at least Visualante) are both GAF members and self-admitted griefers, it's not surprising. You just have to find a good server admin who bans people who do that sort of thing.
Hey don't point the finger at me. I extended the waterfall near spawn yesterday because it was boring and it was quickly corrected because you're largely so anal about everything being perfect. I would take no pleasure in putting a penis on your stupid mega man or taking the diamonds from it.

I am purposefully building my stuff a good few minutes out of town because I know how much you babies make a fuss when someone changes something in a way you don't like. That's just from spending a few evenings on the server. "Oh some jerk built something on MY beach" as if you ever owned it in the first place.

As a griefer, every time you bitch and moan about something- you're just encouraging the griefers more. They get the kicks out of screenshots and stories about how victims lost their stuff. Deal with it quietly and you'll attract less people. I'd also suggest moving the entire thread to online. Don't build anything you're not afraid to lose- the game is only going to get worse when mobs get in and people start making TNT.

epmode

Twig said:
What is the world coming to where people complain about griefers? Fight back, babbies!
For serious. Save the Sistine Chapel for the single player mode or wait for Notch to implement some kind of boundary system for the MP mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom