• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Razorskin said:
LV3B3.jpg

Holy Shit.

Reno7728

Vinci said:
Just carefully start digging at an upward angle, creating stairs as you do so in order to facilitate your escape. You'll hit the surface / lava / mobs eventually. Best of luck to you.

Well this sounded like a good plan, and i managed to hit a Lava pool so i could see for a while, but then i came a across some red stone so i knew i was far to deep to get out. So after about 20 minutes of random digging in and around the bedrock i fell through the bottom of the world and re-spawned. Pissed off i lost a lot of iron/coal/red stone but it was my fault for falling without any torches :lol

He said dig at an upward angle, making stairs.

There's no such thing as "far too deep to get out"

When I find myself lost in a cave and low on torches or food, i dig into a random wall and make a spiral staircase up until I hit light. Pretty simple. The only thing you need to watch out for is lava, which thankfully flows slowly enough that if you break open a hole and hit lava you should be able to close it back up before it gets you.

Reno7728

HappyBivouac said:
He said dig at an upward angle, making stairs.

There's no such thing as "far too deep to get out"

When I find myself lost in a cave and low on torches or food, i dig into a random wall and make a spiral staircase up until I hit light. Pretty simple. The only thing you need to watch out for is lava, which thankfully flows slowly enough that if you break open a hole and hit lava you should be able to close it back up before it gets you.

Well i ahd 2 problems. Firstly it was pitch black and i had no torches/ tools for torches so i couldn't really plan anything. Secondly i was very low on pick axes so i would have run out before i reached the surface

notsol337

marked forever
Reno7728 said:
Well i ahd 2 problems. Firstly it was pitch black and i had no torches/ tools for torches so i couldn't really plan anything. Secondly i was very low on pick axes so i would have run out before i reached the surface

You can break everything with your hands, it just takes ages D:

Reno7728

HappyBivouac said:
Ah, yeah you still could've gotten out but it would've been awful/taken forever.

Yeah, i was lucky i fell out the bottom of the map as well. 10 minutes of blindly hearing bedrock being hit but not braking was VERY frustrating :lol

You should adjust your brightness/contrast/gamma somehow, through your graphics card or on your monitor. There shouldn't be any actual pitch blackness in the game.

Brilliant avatar by the way.

Reno7728

HappyBivouac said:
You should adjust your brightness/contrast/gamma somehow, through your graphics card or on your monitor. There shouldn't be any actual pitch blackness in the game.

Brilliant avatar by the way.

The only way i could see was by spamming the fog adjust which made the wireframes of every block appear :lol

But hey, its over now, and i just made some awesome stairs to my cliff face entrance base.

What should I do with 36 tnt? Don't say a cannon. That takes too much tnt for too little actual result.

I'm not really sure of how the tnt mechanics work. Maybe I'll just experiment. I wnt to figure out the best way to make a massive hole in the ground so that I can then cover it with glass to keep the snow out and make a big underground glass covered city.

Bought this earlier this afternoon. This is so addicting. Love me some Minecraft, even if I have died a bunch because I was being stupid.

I realize most baddies will die when the sun comes up, but I've found there to be some latent ones most of the time, will more time get rid of these guys or do I have to fight them/run away/pray?

Edit: Question 2 - is there any way to loop the music? It is so awesome, but only getting to hear it every so often makes me a little sad.

Razorskin

----- ------
ShallNoiseUpon said:
Bought this earlier this afternoon. This is so addicting. Love me some Minecraft, even if I have died a bunch because I was being stupid.

I realize most baddies will die when the sun comes up, but I've found there to be some latent ones most of the time, will more time get rid of these guys or do I have to fight them/run away/pray?

Spiders and creepers don't burn in sunlight.

Generally mobs won't spawn really far away from you, and will despawn if you go far enough away from them. If you're hanging around in your house at night then go outside in the morning, the spiders and creepers won't have burned up. I usually just kill them off (I actively seek out creepers to kill these days) but they'll despawn if you go off on an expedition somewhere.

PatzCU

I just found out I built a massive tower 1 block off from TheSpot and I's blueprint. I have to tear the entire tower down and rebuild one block to the north. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

F6huhqUvOSgu.jpg

New project: sightseeing train
the pirate ship will be the first stop

in the hut are some furnaces and a workbench in the ship (captains quarters) is a tressure chest

still need some white cloth for the sail

Zaphod

Who knew that just having night time in multiplayer would be so awesome. Walking down the torch lit path from my castle to the mine is great. Having the stairs mostly fixed is nice too. Now I have to rearrange some of my stairs to be steeper.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Made a pyramid that looks like an arrow at the right angle that points the the Sun/moon at the right time of day :D

daysend.png

Nice I plan on doing a huge sand pyramid after I finish building my floating castle, such a pain building something in the air up high when you have nothing to build off of.

seems like most people use the standard texture pack. I love the one I'm using, its a mashup of two 3D dot game heroes packs taking the best pieces, and a bunch of edits I made.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
top.png

side.png

bottom.png

Been working on this over out on gafland. I wanted to create an artificial land area away from all the buildings. The water acts as a sky I guess, and you could build random emblems up at sea level to create custom skylines or something. I might mine out of the sides of the place and create little side things, but it's fine as it stands. No real way out besides to ride the water out from the sides, it's not deep enough to drown your way up.

Someone made a cool little chain bridge to the location. If someone want to expand on it, go right ahead because I'm done with it. I like to create landscapes more than buildings anyways. It's off the coast of the old spawn. It's between a bridge, a random tree in the water, and a Space Invader.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
How big, in Megabytes, is Gafland now?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Finally got time to sit down and play today, so addictive. Started building my house and just couldn't stop building, kinda went overboard. I like how grass isn't affected by gravity so you can just make shit float, I don't like though how my island can't grow any grass on the dirt :(. I didn't even think about going in search for a dungeon, just build smelt build. I'll post screens in a bit.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
wk4qbp.png

My current house. I built a moat, but it's kind of unnecessary cause nothing ever comes close.

I've got 4 floors, bottom has my work bench and stove along with 2 chests, I have yet to fill the 2nd 3rd or 4th floors with anything (except for a tree at the top.

My moat sometimes traps chickens and pigs, so far nothing dangerous though. Oh well.

epmode

HenryGale said:
seems like most people use the standard texture pack.
The custom textures are nice but the lack of animated water/lava always gets me to switch back.
sprsk said:
I like how grass isn't affected by gravity so you can just make shit float, I don't like though how my island can't grow any grass on the dirt :(..
It can, you just need to connect the island to existing grass first. It'll take a long time but the grass will eventually creep its way over to your side. You don't even need sunlight, just torches.

To clarify, grass will jump to adjacent tiles given enough sunlight/torchlight and enough time. It will even move up or down a single tile but no more than that.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
sprsk said:
Finally got time to sit down and play today, so addictive. Started building my house and just couldn't stop building, kinda went overboard. I like how grass isn't affected by gravity so you can just make shit float, I don't like though how my island can't grow any grass on the dirt :(. I didn't even think about going in search for a dungeon, just build smelt build. I'll post screens in a bit.
Grassguidesniper2.png

Blizzard

Banned
sprsk said:
As others have said, you can grow it wherever. Twig made a big, crazy grass-covered mostly-floating island, but it took him FOREVER to get the grass all the way up there. I think he left the game running overnight at one point. :lol

ZZMitch

Technosteve said:
think the developer will add custom monsters? i would like to design my own monsters

I am pretty sure you can add custom skins to the current monsters using texture packs

edit- fuckin ninja'd

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
funkmastergeneral said:
When Gafland goes down where is everyone going? Most of the servers on minecraft forums suck
I am hoping someone picks up the ball and rehosts the map when Oat zips it up and puts it online.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I'm going to take a break from multiplayer for a while. I'll check in every once in a while but theres not too much I want to do until some major updates happen. Also I have to start school again so I need to focus on that.

I started another singleplayer map which reminded me of the fun of surviving in minecraft. I explored my spawn area for a few minutes and came full circle. "What, this is it?!" I thought. It's pretty small so my objective is to explore the island and cave systems underneath and maybe build a big roller coaster on it. I had a tough time in the beginning because there weren't many visible caves or coal. Theres tons of monsters at night but I used the new fence blocks to keep them at bay.

There is another big island close to it which is kind of a let down. I was hoping it dropped me in the middle of nowhere. Would be great if the game could spawn me on a tiny island with limited wood and just completely screw me over. :lol

Some screenshots of my attempt at remaking the "Sacred Forest Meadow" from Zelda:eek:oT.

Forest Temple Entrance

n5k109.png

Overhead view of the maze area
2akb9m0.jpg

Great Fairy's Cavern
1iledv.png

Diamond anyone?
2cr13mg.png

On another note,
2zodzlk.png

Also fullscreen for l4d2 but minimized. And windowed for MC but minimized.

Vinci

Danish
Has anyone else started drawing out designs on grid paper when they can't play Minecraft? I've been doing that a lot lately. Never had a game other than my own do that to me.

Zomba13

I downloaded a 3D dot Game Heroes texture and have been doing little mods to them (like holes in the tree leaves so sunlight can get through) and everything does look like a first person view of Dotnia. Also made a small chicken farm with fences. Took a while to get the chickens in, they bounce around everywhere >.<

Vinci said:
Has anyone else started drawing out designs on grid paper when they can't play Minecraft? I've been doing that a lot lately. Never had a game other than my own do that to me.

Nope, sounds like something I'd do during school. :lol

It's good to plan b4 building though to get proportions right and what not. I'd do it more often if I wasn't so fond of diving in head first into a project.

Inkwell

Banned
Vinci said:
I've wanted to do this, but when I can't play the game I generally don't have access to graph/grid paper. I might just do this normally since I'm sure it would make building go much smoother.

Recently I've been playing the game on peaceful. If I do any mining I'll put the difficulty back on normal. I just find having to deal with enemies while I'm building random things to be more annoying than fun at this point. I'm sure if I start a new world I'll probably play with it on, but right now I'm more into the creation aspect than the combat centered one.

Wrekt

Do the seasons change or is the weather pattern decided when you generate a world? I've only generated a couple worlds but it always has been snowing when I start. For whatever reason, my PC runs Minecraft at like 5 fps even though I can run Starcraft 2, WoW and L4D2 at 60 fps. I'm hoping that I can squeeze a few extra fps if it isn't snowing all the time as it is simply unplayable on my current machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom