• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorskin

----- ------
Wrekt said:
Do the seasons change or is the weather pattern decided when you generate a world? I've only generated a couple worlds but it always has been snowing when I start. For whatever reason, my PC runs Minecraft at like 5 fps even though I can run Starcraft 2, WoW and L4D2 at 60 fps. I'm hoping that I can squeeze a few extra fps if it isn't snowing all the time as it is simply unplayable on my current machine.

It's the decided when you enter the world. You either get sunny all day or snowing and sunny all day.

Fitz

Speaking of snow, does anyone know if the snow screen effect stops if you get above cloud height? I'm guessing not, but it would be a really nice feature if it did.

Razorskin

----- ------
funkmastergeneral said:
How do I create Flint and Steel to light my furnace, if I need a furnace to smelt the iron ingot I need to make the flint and steel?

Just spawn iron in multiplayer. /iron

In singleplayer you don't need flint and steel to light a furnace.

Wrekt said:
Do the seasons change or is the weather pattern decided when you generate a world? I've only generated a couple worlds but it always has been snowing when I start. For whatever reason, my PC runs Minecraft at like 5 fps even though I can run Starcraft 2, WoW and L4D2 at 60 fps. I'm hoping that I can squeeze a few extra fps if it isn't snowing all the time as it is simply unplayable on my current machine.
If you can run those other games that well then you shouldn't be getting performance anywhere near this poor with Minecraft, first of all make sure that Java is fully updated. If that doesn't solve the problem then adjust the fog and graphics level within the game, although I can't imagine any other cause for this problem except for a weird hardware incompatibility glitch.

Inkwell

Banned
I don't get it, how did the house catch fire? The fireplace was blocked in. Is it just something where if wood is so many blocks away from fire it catches?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
It's tough to say exactly. You can see when he was mining it out he didn't do a very careful job. There was still a few stray wood blocks nearby. Maybe someone else can watch the video closely to pinpoint exactly what happened.

Either way, putting a fireplace in a wood house? Not smart.

diagonal works as well and this was his failure! I died several times because this works for lava as well. I take care all the time but the diagonal lava hits me sometimes. And you cannot see it that way as well :(

GDJustin

I'm in the most epic cave I've ever seen in Minecraft... and I've played a LOT of Minecraft.

When I first discovered it I broke through a wall with a large cave a few blocks below me, and it was FILLED with enemies. With just the light of 1 torch near me I could see:

- 3 creepers
- 2 skeletons
- 1 zombie
- 1 spider

It took FOREVER to clear the area. I died 5+ times, because every time I would kill some enemies and push out a little, placing some torches, a creeper would round a corner blowing everything up, and eliminating what little light I had created.

Finally I secured that main cavern, and now have a small "safe zone" to operate from thanks to building a few stone walls.

The area is as full of riches as it is enemies. I cleared one coal vein that had 23 coal. In ONE vein.

I have to fight for every inch. Around every corner I'm encountering 3 skeletons, or two spiders and a zombie, or 3 creepers. There are creepers everywhere.

Anyway, so many moments have happened in this cave that I'm not even sure I can remember them all. A couple stand out:

- The area immediately outside my safe zone is also fairly safe. I was mining some coal when I happened to look up - way up. There, about ~8 blocks above me, there were glowing red eyes (spider eyes) watching me. I had NO IDEA there was even another cavern above my position. I'm used to danger coming from below.

- EVERYWHERE in the cave system you can hear enemies. All types of them. There are some areas that I've made (relatively) safe, and I don't encounter enemies anymore, but I always hear them. Always. It makes for unsettling mining.

- Remember that safe zone I mentioned? I didn't build a roof. Just 3-high walls. Just before I logged off to come make this post, I was walking around the outside of the safe zone when I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. There was a zombie ON MY SAFE ZONE WALL, and a creeper on the staircase that leads back up into my main housing complex, inside the safe zone.

I have no idea how either of them got in :(

This cave is crazy.

Razorskin

----- ------
6jfOs.png

Every morning there are at least two of them around cave, and I'm only one string shy of making a bow.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Well, yeah, I'll be back to this game once it reaches Beta. Waiting for Notch to update stuff is a torture.

IceMarker

LovingSteam said:
Back when Valve made a TF2 blog post about Minecraft, Brandon Reinhart who is a member of the TF2 team, contacted Notch through email asking him to come visit Valve in the US. The day after he gets back from Finland he's going to Bellevue, Washington to meet with the team at Valve and who knows what will happen there!

I've been to Bellevue before... nice place.

IceMarker

KuroNeeko said:
The hospital? :D
Naw, went there when I was in High School for some summer courses for 2 weeks at Digipen, got to go to the Nintendo Employee store and shop there and everything. Good times.

/offtopic

Orgun

Finally found a game that is able to pull me away from Minecraft, The Witcher (which i've had since it came out heh).

Sephon

I got so impressed by this game that it inspired me to take up game programming again, just to realise that I have the mathemathical skills of a 5 year old... gotta learn my vectors.

OatmealMu

For those that don't know, my Gafland server is shutting down this week. To commemorate this event, Friday, August 27 will be dedicated to TNT, fire, floods, and riding pigs. Everyone will be given kits designed for maximum carnage. If Gafland isn't a pockmarked wasteland by the end of the day, we will have failed.

And while it's a bit early, here's Gafland as of August 24. Drop the "Gafland" folder into the same directory as your server files. Then, open server.properties in a text editor and change "level-name=world1" so it reads "level-name=gafland". That should be all there is to it.

I'll upload the un-griefed August 26 version of Gafland after the server closes down for good.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
OatmealMu said:
For those that don't know, my Gafland server is shutting down this week. To commemorate this event, Friday, August 27 will be dedicated to TNT, fire, floods, and riding pigs. Everyone will be given kits designed for maximum carnage. If Gafland isn't a pockmarked wasteland by the end of the day, we will have failed.

And while it's a bit early, here's Gafland as of August 24. Drop the "Gafland" folder into the same directory as your server files. Then, open server.properties in a text editor and change "level-name=world1" so it reads "level-name=gafland". That should be all there is to it.

I'll upload the un-griefed August 26 version of Gafland after the server closes down for good.

What time will it go up exactly?

And while we're at it, what's a good (free) program to use to record stuff happening in game?

OatmealMu

Tempy said:
What time will it go up exactly?

And while we're at it, what's a good (free) program to use to record stuff happening in game?

It'll probably go up the same time as usual, although I'm thinking about putting it up 6 hours later and keep it running into the early morning... or until the server completely shits itself -- whatever comes first.

No idea about recording software.

GDJustin

GDJustin said:
I'm in the most epic cave I've ever seen in Minecraft... and I've played a LOT of Minecraft.

When I first discovered it I broke through a wall with a large cave a few blocks below me, and it was FILLED with enemies. With just the light of 1 torch near me I could see:

- 3 creepers
- 2 skeletons
- 1 zombie
- 1 spider

It took FOREVER to clear the area. I died 5+ times, because every time I would kill some enemies and push out a little, placing some torches, a creeper would round a corner blowing everything up, and eliminating what little light I had created.

Finally I secured that main cavern, and now have a small "safe zone" to operate from thanks to building a few stone walls.

The area is as full of riches as it is enemies. I cleared one coal vein that had 23 coal. In ONE vein.

I have to fight for every inch. Around every corner I'm encountering 3 skeletons, or two spiders and a zombie, or 3 creepers. There are creepers everywhere.

Anyway, so many moments have happened in this cave that I'm not even sure I can remember them all. A couple stand out:

- The area immediately outside my safe zone is also fairly safe. I was mining some coal when I happened to look up - way up. There, about ~8 blocks above me, there were glowing red eyes (spider eyes) watching me. I had NO IDEA there was even another cavern above my position. I'm used to danger coming from below.

- EVERYWHERE in the cave system you can hear enemies. All types of them. There are some areas that I've made (relatively) safe, and I don't encounter enemies anymore, but I always hear them. Always. It makes for unsettling mining.

- Remember that safe zone I mentioned? I didn't build a roof. Just 3-high walls. Just before I logged off to come make this post, I was walking around the outside of the safe zone when I caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. There was a zombie ON MY SAFE ZONE WALL, and a creeper on the staircase that leads back up into my main housing complex, inside the safe zone.

I have no idea how either of them got in :(

This cave is crazy.

Still exploring this cave... it is officially the most epic cave ever.

- I had another creeper drop directly onto my head in my safe zone, even after I'd walled it all up. Confused, I looked around incredibly thoroughly. Turns out waaaaay above me, in a spot no torches was reaching, there was an open block. It looks like ceiling from below. It is actually the opening to another quite large twisting cavern.

- The cave does descend all the way to the adminium with several lava lakes. There are waterfalls and lava falls EVERYWHERE. At one point there is two spawned waterfalls, side by side, that snake off in different directions.

- At another point there is a waterfall and a lavafall side by side.

- There is also a lake of lava that has two waterfalls falling into it, one from each side.

I've mostly tamed the cave system, at great personal cost and many many deaths. I still hear enemies everywhere I go (but mostly just zombies now), but I rarely bump into an enemy anymore.

Now it's time to begin real mining down here. I haven't taken much equipment with me since I always died, so I couldn't mine out the diamond, gold, and redstone I had been finding.

Inkwell

Banned
I think I'm done with this game for now. I'm just going to wait a while until there are more updates and content before I get back into it.

By the way, if you have an Android phone there's this free game called Gem Miner. It's kind of the same idea as the mining in Minecraft, but in 2D. Instead of finding minerals to build stuff, you earn money for upgrades and supplies.

notsol337

marked forever
Horsebite said:
And a dumbing down of every good feature the game has. :(

Valve took the group that made Narbacular Drop, and we got Portal. They've never shown me that they want to dumb down anyone's ideas. Plus, they've published loads of indie games without touching them.

Vinci

Danish
Horsebite said:
And a dumbing down of every good feature the game has. :(

My only remote concern is that the complete game's release would be delayed, and I think that very well could happen if Valve got involved... Your concern, on the other hand? I cannot imagine a scenario in which Valve could become involved with a project and turn it to shit.

notsol337

marked forever
Inkwell said:
I think I'm done with this game for now. I'm just going to wait a while until there are more updates and content before I get back into it.

By the way, if you have an Android phone there's this free game called Gem Miner. It's kind of the same idea as the mining in Minecraft, but in 2D. Instead of finding minerals to build stuff, you earn money for upgrades and supplies.

Also, if you have a 360, there's always Miner Dig Deep! It's an indie game, and it's kind of like a 2d minecraft. You sell the ores you find you get better tools, lamps, and stuff like ladders and elevators.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Minecraft as far as I'm concerned is a collection of half-implemented ideas slapped together. For example:
* Milk can be gathered from cows but serve no function. It's only very recently that you could even empty a bucket of milk. What will milk be useful for? One would expect it to be a food itself and crafted into other foods. Complexity or "depth" can only be guessed at.
* Saddles can be placed on pigs, and pigs can be ridden. Yet it is really the pig riding the player as the player has no control of where to go. Saddles can also not be removed.
* Inconsistencies in mechanics, such as the removal/destruction/collecting one. Hitting a book case destroys it, hitting a tile gets you back the tile, hitting a double tile gets you only 1 tile, etc.

Minecraft is fun because of the exploration and creating aspects. There are also survival aspects as collecting resources requires the player to avoid, attack, or defend against threats.

Yet it is clearly an unfinished game. But to what level of completeness can we expect this game to achieve? Notch has expressed the desire to hire some people (http://notch.tumblr.com/post/977394407/lots-of-stuff-going-on-behind-the-scenes). This is really needed as I don't see him able to complete it in a reasonable timeframe. There are obviously no strict deadlines in this kind of project, but I can definitely see it linger in incompleteness for years if he continues to work on it on his own.

Valve's possible involvement could be very beneficial, as can be seen in all the various community mods which in some shape or form were aided/turned into something bigger by Valve (Garry's Mod, Portal, Team Fortress, Counter Strike, etc). I'm guessing that Notch wants to know how much creative control and ownership he can retain; how much Valve wants a piece of the pie. I can't really say what the relationship between the original creators of the aforementioned projects and Valve is at the moment; but isn't at least Garry's Mod still independently made (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facepunch_Studios)?

Of course, maybe this discussion is all moot and Valve just wants to eat burgers with Notch at a diner.

kennah

Dude. It's an alpha. Normally this stage of a game development isn't done publically. Of course it isn't finished. The whole point of it is that it's evolving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom