• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
kennah said:
Dude. It's an alpha. Normally this stage of a game development isn't done publically. Of course it isn't finished. The whole point of it is that it's evolving.

Maybe I should've said this instead: You can't dumb down something that has little depth (because it's an unfinished mess).

owlbeak

I guess none of you guys had played the mod version of Day of Defeat and then Valve's retail release of Day of Defeat: Source. It was watered down and they ripped away all kinds of features that made the game unique so players "didn't have to think too hard". They ruined that game.

I love Valve, I'm not hating, just usually when they acquire a mod or something, their version of it is usually bland and not as good as the original. There are exceptions, naturally.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Horsebite said:
I guess none of you guys had played the mod version of Day of Defeat and then Valve's retail release of Day of Defeat: Source. It was watered down and they ripped away all kinds of features that made the game unique so players "didn't have to think too hard". They ruined that game.

I love Valve, I'm not hating, just usually when they acquire a mod or something, their version of it is usually bland and not as good as the original. There are exceptions, naturally.
Or maybe Day of Defeat, your only example, is the exception and all the other games that only got better with Valve's influence is the rule?

owlbeak

Brazil said:
Or maybe Day of Defeat, your only example, is the exception and all the other games that only got better with Valve's influence is the rule?
Well, I personally didn't like what they did with TF2 either, however the opposite happened with that and they just made it convoluted as fuck. But christ, you guys white knight for everything. God forbid a discouraging comment about Valve comes along. I practically own their entire library of games, I just think they dropped the ball in some regards on certain titles.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Horsebite said:

I actually did play both versions of DoD, though not much as I wasn't a hardcore DoD player, so didn't really notice any glaring changes (besides improved graphics).

MNC

Not to mention that some of these things are done on purpose. A boat doesn't give you back your boat for a reason. I'm already glad fences come back as fences :p

Brazil

Horsebite said:
Well, I personally didn't like what they did with TF2 either, however the opposite happened with that and they just made it convoluted as fuck. But christ, you guys white knight for everything. God forbid a discouraging comment about Valve comes along. I practically own their entire library of games, I just think they dropped the ball in some regards on certain titles.
Don't get all defensive. I'm not even a huge Valve fan like most of GAF. I was just pointing out that you gave a single example and tried to turn the table around like Day of Defeat was the "majority" and all the positive examples others mentioned in this thread were "exceptions." That's simply wrong.

And maybe you can say the original Team Fortress and Counter-Strike games are better than their most recent Valve versions, but no one would take that into consideration.

Also, the Valve defense force can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but the ones who come here and without thinking beforehand claim things like "VALVE WILL RUIN MY GAME" are the ones who are pissing people off in this thread.

Blizzard

Banned
I think the only thing we can be sure of is that it must involve hats. Lots of hats. Perhaps for a price, perhaps for a select few, perhaps for everyone. BUT HATS!

owlbeak

Will Minecraft not launch for anyone else? It says it can't connect when I try to play the downloadable Alpha. Just kinda hangs at the login screen for a long time.

Edit: www.minecraft.net also seems to be down

Kade

Isn't Notch going to other developers as well? I'm pretty sure he said he was visiting multiple developers. Bungie and Valve are the most likely since both have shown interest in Minecraft (even though I've only seen Valve mention it).

commissar

Horsebite said:
Will Minecraft not launch for anyone else? It says it can't connect when I try to play the downloadable Alpha. Just kinda hangs at the login screen for a long time.

just leave it and you'll get a "server not found, play offline" option

VVV or do what blizzard said and you'll be playing faster

Blizzard

Banned
Horsebite said:

When Notch is away, his site will die!

Legend has it that you can use offline mode if you totally unplug your network cable, then launch the game. You can probably then plug the network cable back in and keep playing.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
DoD: S is awesome, hushem up.

Also Valve hired the DoD team to make DoD: S, it's not like they ripped the game away from the creators and put out DoD: Babiez First World War. And a lot of the "complexity" was just stuff that wasn't there at launch, more modes, maps, and stuff from the original DoD was slowly added in later.

owlbeak

commissar said:
just leave it and you'll get a "server not found, play offline" option

VVV or do what blizzard said and you'll be playing faster
Ahh thanks. :D I just alt+F4'f it thinking it had frozen.

Twig

Banned
Also Notch said he doesn't want to work at a big company, and with the money he's been raking in, he absolutely doesn't need to.

I've been having a problem lately where my mouse often acts as though a single click is two clicks in very quick succession. As far as I can tell it only happens in minecraft. This gets really, really annoying when trying to build stuff. Anyone else have this issue and/or know a fix?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Blizzard said:
When Notch is away, his site will die!

Legend has it that you can use offline mode if you totally unplug your network cable, then launch the game. You can probably then plug the network cable back in and keep playing.

What if I only played the in-browser version? :(

Philthy

Giard said:
Wasn't Notch supposed to fix SMP inventory last week? :/
I'm hoping to play some multi soon...

He was supposed to fix a whole ton of things. Fixing things seem to disappear from the todo list, as he adds in more stuff on Fridays that just break even more things that will never get fixed.

I love the guy and the game, but he seriously needs a team behind him working on this if he wants to make any progress with the game, let alone keeping it afloat. The servers obviously need some 24/7 supervision at this point, he needs dedicated testers across all platforms for every release, and it would probably help if he had someone who knows how to manage a game to get it all this done.

sgnhh

Neo Member
Could be why he's meeting with these studios. He's already expressed interest in not letting the game get away from him creatively, I think he's just fielding offers for funding.

sgnhh said:
Could be why he's meeting with these studios. He's already expressed interest in not letting the game get away from him creatively, I think he's just fielding offers for funding.

He's already made hundreds of thousands just on pre-orders. I don't think funding is necessarily an issue. He could hire people if he wanted. My guess is that the experience of a big company would help in both polishing the game and marketing it.

I honestly do not understand any of the complaints with this game. Especially the dude going "it's totally unfinished and lame." I've sunk more hours into this game since late July than I have into any Pokemon game ever, and I still can't get enough. :lol

And I haven't even touched multiplayer yet.

ZZMitch

HappyBivouac said:
I honestly do not understand any of the complaints with this game. Especially the dude going "it's totally unfinished and lame." I've sunk more hours into this game since late July than I have into any Pokemon game ever, and I still can't get enough. :lol

And I haven't even touched multiplayer yet.

To be fair it is very unfinished, but it is an alpha, so no worries.

Vinci

Danish
AbortedWalrusFetus said:
He's already made hundreds of thousands just on pre-orders. I don't think funding is necessarily an issue. He could hire people if he wanted. My guess is that the experience of a big company would help in both polishing the game and marketing it.

Pretty much. And these are two areas that Valve is very good at. Hell, the TF2 blog mentioning the game alone likely got it more exposure than it got in all the months prior.

ZZMitch said:
To be fair it is very unfinished, but it is an alpha, so no worries.

Right, but I'm saying that even in its unfinished state it is a hell of a game. It's also really cool to get regular updates with new features.

greenhadoken said:
Hey can someone tell me if there is a way to create a map of my world? I am totally lost haha. I have a mac

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13134

EDIT: nevermind, didn't realize there's no mac version :(

yeah thanks, it sucks because either they all work on PC, and the ones that are supposed to work on mac, such as the indev/preview thing, are all glitchy, or I have no idea how to make them work

greenhadoken said:
yeah thanks, it sucks because either they all work on PC, and the ones that are supposed to work on mac, such as the indev/preview thing, are all glitchy, or I have no idea how to make them work
Install boot camp, no need to worry then.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Philthy said:
He was supposed to fix a whole ton of things. Fixing things seem to disappear from the todo list, as he adds in more stuff on Fridays that just break even more things that will never get fixed.

I love the guy and the game, but he seriously needs a team behind him working on this if he wants to make any progress with the game, let alone keeping it afloat. The servers obviously need some 24/7 supervision at this point, he needs dedicated testers across all platforms for every release, and it would probably help if he had someone who knows how to manage a game to get it all this done.

The bolded is where I have a problem.

What are you basing that on? What evidence do you have that anything currently broken will never be fixed?

Several people in this topic keep saying "it is an alpha" but it is glossed over. I don't think people are really stopping to consider what that means. It means we're probably at least a year away from the game being in a state that most people would consider "finished." And we've been months away from a game state that most devs would allow outside testing.

So, just to repeat, we've been playing Minecraft months before most devs would ever allow anyone outside the studio to see it.

The game is remarkably fun and stable for its early state. Development has been an even mixture of 1) introducing new features, 2) bug fixing, & 3) working on multiplayer.

If I have one complaint, it is that development has really slowed lately. The more popular minecraft becomes, the slower it gets, in fact. But even this isn't really surprising.

If he hires more people, I wouldn't be surprised if development got even slower than it currently is. One guy, or a VERY small, in-synch group of people, can accomplish more than huge teams often times. Because there are no barriers. If he hires others, there will be checked in code to merge and check, there will be lots of time spent managing payroll, holding meetings, and other such issues, etc.

What notch should do is hire at most:
- One person to manage the website / server, and maybe roll in community management, to maintain a bug tracker etc.
- One person to manage business-type affairs. He's stated over and over that he hates that type of work, and consequently Mojang is not a "real" company, which is insane given the $ now coming in.
- (maybe) someone to take over art / asset creation.

Those employees would ELIMINATE Minecraft distractions for Notch. Adding employees that actually work on the product itself would just add distractions and slow things down.

Giard

GDJustin said:
The bolded is where I have a problem.

What are you basing that on? What evidence do you have that anything currently broken will never be fixed?

Several people in this topic keep saying "it is an alpha" but it is glossed over. I don't think people are really stopping to consider what that means. It means we're probably at least a year away from the game being in a state that most people would consider "finished." And we've been months away from a game state that most devs would allow outside testing.

So, just to repeat, we've been playing Minecraft months before most devs would ever allow anyone outside the studio to see it.

The game is remarkably fun and stable for its early state. Development has been an even mixture of 1) introducing new features, 2) bug fixing, & 3) working on multiplayer.

If I have one complaint, it is that development has really slowed lately. The more popular minecraft becomes, the slower it gets, in fact. But even this isn't really surprising.

If he hires more people, I wouldn't be surprised if development got even slower than it currently is. One guy, or a VERY small, in-synch group of people, can accomplish more than huge teams often times. Because there are no barriers. If he hires others, there will be checked in code to merge and check, there will be lots of time spent managing payroll, holding meetings, and other such issues, etc.

What notch should do is hire at most:
- One person to manage the website / server, and maybe roll in community management, to maintain a bug tracker etc.
- One person to manage business-type affairs. He's stated over and over that he hates that type of work, and consequently Mojang is not a "real" company, which is insane given the $ now coming in.
- (maybe) someone to take over art / asset creation.

Those employees would ELIMINATE Minecraft distractions for Notch. Adding employees that actually work on the product itself would just add distractions and slow things down.

Nice post.
The bolded is what I was referring to with SMP fixes...when I bought the game so much was added and fixed, now since SMP has arrived, he has added a few trivial things and hasn't fixed the most important bugs.

Giard said:
Nice post.
The bolded is what I was referring to with SMP fixes...when I bought the game so much was added and fixed, now since SMP has arrived, he has added a few trivial things and hasn't fixed the most important bugs.

I dunno, I almost take that as a sign that you should be content already with what's in there and let the man have a break to do some other important things in his life. You can't sit there and expect him to focus 100% of his productive time on doing nothing but coding a game. That's not how the world works. I probably spend less than 60% of my time actually coding at work, rather than doing all of the other stuff you need to do on the side.

Brazil

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I dunno, I almost take that as a sign that you should be content already with what's in there and let the man have a break to do some other important things in his life. You can't sit there and expect him to focus 100% of his productive time on doing nothing but coding a game. That's not how the world works. I probably spend less than 60% of my time actually coding at work, rather than doing all of the other stuff you need to do on the side.
Well, it's his job, and he's paid to do it, after all. It's just strange that in the exact moment the game starts to sell like water, he stops progressing in development. He promised the game would probably be in Beta by the end of August - and we don't even have working Storage Chests in the game yet. He wasn't able to complete this month's single Friday update, claiming that he started working by 5 PM on it. I mean, 5 PM? Really?

Hell, alright, it's his life. But it is a little fucked up how now that he's got thousands of people waiting for him to fix critical bugs so the fun can go on he decides to go on a world tour.

Vorador

Banned
My main gripe is that even if he codes new features he shouldn't forget about older things. For example the slime drops can't be used for anything, and water/lava physics don't work properly (if i wanted to make a river, i would had to use tons of water blocks to fill it up, instead of letting the water flow) . I wish he would fix that before adding new stuff.

Vinci

Danish
Guy's been working on this since last May. Now that he's achieved a bit of success, money, and status, I think it's perfectly reasonable for him to have a little fun.

The comments about how much he's progressing with development are EXACTLY why developers don't show their games off until they are near completion. Did you guys think they hid them for no reason? It's because it takes time, there are roadblocks, extraneous work to do, etc.

Hell, if you read his updates about the SMP inventory you'd realize that he found implementing the system to be much more difficult than he initially expected because he has to handle co-modification.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Vorador said:
My main gripe is that even if he codes new features he shouldn't forget about older things. For example the slime drops can't be used for anything, and water/lava physics don't work properly (if i wanted to make a river, i would had to use tons of water blocks to fill it up, instead of letting the water flow) . I wish he would fix that before adding new stuff.

None of that has been forgotten, though.

Slime drops and milk buckets both follow the same pattern, in fact. When creating a new mob, Notch seems to have a checklist of things to go over:

- How its AI behaves
- How it spawns
- It's artwork
- What item(s) it drops

Once all these are checked... voila. We have a new creature. The thing is, everything in Minecraft is interconnected. So sometimes a creature (and it's drops) will end up in-game before the items have a use. When Notch was making slimes, all he was wanting to do is make the slimes.

Maybe the goo balls are used to make poison tips, a new game system. And that requires damage over time, another game system. Etc etc etc.

Of all the things to complain about, there being a few items with no purpose seems like it should be the LOWEST on people's list. They're all signs of game systems in progress.

I mean, we all know that Milk is eventually going to be used in a food recipe. He put it in now because he made cows now.

Edit: As for liquid physics, it is a notoriously difficult element. It is on "the list" but will not be touched for some time.

Railer

Bought this game today randomly after hearing some interesting stuff about it. It's pretty darn awesome so far, playing survival mode.
Been mining in the deeps for quite some time, managed to get 2 diamonds so far. Need one more to make a nice pick though. At the moment I'm melting sand into glass, it takes darn long though, so after several hours i finally got time to do some other stuff, like eat.

My very bright homeplace for the moment. Got tons of torches out because the monsters scare me at night :p
mc_001.png

Trying to build some kind of pool, don't really know what I'm doing.
mc_002.png

Home sweet home.
mc_003.png

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
The comments about how much he's progressing with development are EXACTLY why developers don't show their games off until they are near completion. Did you guys think they hid them for no reason? It's because it takes time, there are roadblocks, extraneous work to do, etc.

Hell, if you read his updates about the SMP inventory you'd realize that he found implementing the system to be much more difficult than he initially expected because he has to handle co-modification.

Gamers are often whiny, lame, and want to be entertained NOW. I guess that's understandable for an entertainment medium that people turn on when they get home after a long day of work or whatever.

I appreciate being able to play along with all the ups and downs of the game's development. It's very enjoyable.

Pimpbaa

I started watching some guy playing this on youtube and I got hooked, I had to get the game after that. Can't wait till my paypal payment clears so I can start playing.

Railer

Pimpbaa said:
I started watching some guy playing this on youtube and I got hooked, I had to get the game after that. Can't wait till my paypal payment clears so I can start playing.

Dude, was in the same position as you about 8 hours ago. Played 6h of the game since that. Also, my paypal went through in like 5s, so got to start right away.

This game is awesome, but dear god times fly so damn fast while playing.

Dragmire

Brazil said:
Hell, alright, it's his life. But it is a little fucked up how now that he's got thousands of people waiting for him to fix critical bugs so the fun can go on he decides to go on a world tour.
Well, sometimes that's how things work. He hit it big. Do you want him to turn off his cell phone and just keep working in his basement, or perhaps take the opportunity to move his life (and eventually the game) forward? The truth is that the fans will never, ever be pleased, so it doesn't matter either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom