• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpbaa

Railer said:
Dude, was in the same position as you about 8 hours ago. Played 6h of the game since that. Also, my paypal went through in like 5s, so got to start right away.

This game is awesome, but dear god times fly so damn fast while playing.

I accidentally payed with e-check through paypal, apparently can take a week and a half to clear.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Railer said:
At the moment I'm melting sand into glass, it takes darn long though, so after several hours i finally got time to do some other stuff, like eat.

Make a bunch of furnaces. All it costs is 8 stone. If I'm undertaking a big project that requires lots of glass or smooth stone I usually have no less than five furnaces running nonstop.

Railer

GDJustin said:
Make a bunch of furnaces. All it costs is 8 stone. If I'm undertaking a big project that requires lots of glass or smooth stone I usually have no less than five furnaces running nonstop.

Gah, i didn't even think about that. Thanks dude. Also, whats the redstone (?) for? I got about 180 of it while mining some gold and a few diamonds.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Railer said:
Gah, i didn't even think about that. Thanks dude. Also, whats the redstone (?) for? I got about 180 of it while mining some gold and a few diamonds.
Redstone is basically wire. You use it for making circuits and stuff, although at current really all that it does is open and close doors.

Twig

Banned
Brazil said:
Hell, alright, it's his life. But it is a little fucked up how now that he's got thousands of people waiting for him to fix critical bugs so the fun can go on he decides to go on a world tour.
Thank god people like you don't run things. Jesus fucking hell.

Plaguefox

marumari01.png

marumari02.png

marumari03.png

marumari04.png

marumari05.png

marumari06.png

I've been hosting a small SMP server almost 24/7 since the server was released, and I thought it would be fun to take a few shots of the work that has been put in by a few local friends. So here are a few "postcards". I'm seriously contemplating making up a batch of real postcards based on these just for the fun of it. :)

Welcome to Maru Mari!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
kennah said:
Dude. It's an alpha. Normally this stage of a game development isn't done publically. Of course it isn't finished. The whole point of it is that it's evolving.
To be honest, his "Beta" sounds like it should still be an Alpha, I think he just wants to increase the price of the game :lol

Razorskin said:

I hope Notch adds the ability to make a circuit board instead of needing these huge structures. Maybe mix sand and red stone and then put it into a furnace to get the bread board, and you can mix red stone and gold to make wiring for the circuits.

ToxicAdam

Horsebite said:
I guess none of you guys had played the mod version of Day of Defeat and then Valve's retail release of Day of Defeat: Source. It was watered down and they ripped away all kinds of features that made the game unique so players "didn't have to think too hard". They ruined that game.

I love Valve, I'm not hating, just usually when they acquire a mod or something, their version of it is usually bland and not as good as the original. There are exceptions, naturally.

The mod version of Day of Defeat you so love was mostly made under Valve. The same guys who made the mod also went on to make the Source version. It wasn't like Valve brought in a bunch of their own guys to influence it's design.

The truth is that the guys that made the original DoD were great at making a game with the HL1 engine (and it took them about 12 version and a few years to get it right), but lacked the skills to carry that over to Source. It was really their limitations as programmers and playtesters that made the game suffer.

I played the game religously from 2002-2006. Probably logged in well over 3000 hours.

Philthy

I absolutely love the SMP servers. I love logging in and helping people dig out huge areas. Something about cranking music, grabbing a beer, and just digging huge blocks out of the earth is so freaking relaxing. The chat aspect could be a little better, maybe make the text not blocky looking, and it would be perfect. Or at the very least make it configurable.

Drkirby said:
To be honest, his "Beta" sounds like it should still be an Alpha, I think he just wants to increase the price of the game :lol

I don't think he has to worry about money for a while yet. Maybe when he has a team working under him and he needs to pay for a building to house them in.

That, and, Minecraft 2 could be priced higher and people would buy it from the getgo regardless. He has a franchise on his hands at this point.

owlbeak

ToxicAdam said:
The mod version of Day of Defeat you so love was mostly made under Valve. The same guys who made the mod also went on to make the Source version. It wasn't like Valve brought in a bunch of their own guys to influence it's design.

The truth is that the guys that made the original DoD were great at making a game with the HL1 engine (and it took them about 12 version and a few years to get it right), but lacked the skills to carry that over to Source. It was really their limitations as programmers and playtesters that made the game suffer.

I played the game religously from 2002-2006. Probably logged in well over 3000 hours.
I'm talkin' about DoD v2-3.1, which was not influenced by Valve. After version 3.1 they were bought by Valve.

Zomba13

I'm trying to set up a server like the one oatmeal has GAFland on. What server software did you use for it and how do you do it? I've checked the minecraft wiki and all I end up doing is making a generic build server with the minecraft classic stuff (like all the blocks, no crafting etc)
Just want to make a server for me and my friend to play on and craft etc.

OatmealMu

Zomba13 said:
I'm trying to set up a server like the one oatmeal has GAFland on. What server software did you use for it and how do you do it? I've checked the minecraft wiki and all I end up doing is making a generic build server with the minecraft classic stuff (like all the blocks, no crafting etc)
Just want to make a server for me and my friend to play on and craft etc.

I use Zicore's Admintool and Llamacraft.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
HappyBivouac said:
No Friday update? :(

I guess that's fair.
Yeah, he is in Finland. Unless he has a stealth update of something like "Wood floors!" already made.

I wish he would add paint.

And don't blow up to much of Gafland before I get home from work, I want to help!

Though I somewhat expect you guys miss some of my far out of the way stuff, but with the path ways to get to them being destroyed.

ToxicAdam

Horsebite said:
I'm talkin' about DoD v2-3.1, which was not influenced by Valve. After version 3.1 they were bought by Valve.

You did specifically say from Mod to Source in your post. But whatever. I understand your complaints in that regard. DoD lost a bit in the transition to a retail product, but made huge gains in other regards (more players, more maps, more stable content delivery system, better netcode, better implementation of certain weapons).

GDJustin

What's the consensus on diamond? I have four of them and I just don't know what to spend them on.

In previous games I've made diamond pickaxes, which are def. very baller, but they don't actually last *that* long. A combo of stone + iron picks probably makes more sense. Plus three diamond is pricy.

I have a shitload of sand I need to clear out for a project... maybe I'll just make four diamond shovels. Would certainly speed things along!

Maybe the diamond pickaxe recipe should be changed to only require one diamond. Three is a lot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
There are tons and tons of diamonds at the bottom of the world, what you need to do is find a very deep cave system. I say a Diamond shovel is best since they tend to go far to fast.

Sciz

GDJustin said:
What's the consensus on diamond? I have four of them and I just don't know what to spend them on.

In previous games I've made diamond pickaxes, which are def. very baller, but they don't actually last *that* long. A combo of stone + iron picks probably makes more sense. Plus three diamond is pricy.

I have a shitload of sand I need to clear out for a project... maybe I'll just make four diamond shovels. Would certainly speed things along!

Maybe the diamond pickaxe recipe should be changed to only require one diamond. Three is a lot.
A diamond sword is an absolute necessity as far as I'm concerned. The ability to two-shot monsters is invaluable.

Vlad

GDJustin said:

Personally, I like using them for swords+armor. I made a diamond sword a while back and it's durability is still almost entirely full, even though I've been killing a ton of monsters and livestock with it. As far as armor goes, I've only made a diamond helmet so far, but it seems to be lasting a LOT longer than the iron and leather ones I've been using.

Of course, I only use my diamond and iron armor items when I'm exploring a new cave system, as it seems otherwise I tend to just get injured by falling off stuff I'm building, and I really don't want to waste precious iron or diamond on that.

Heck, even when I'm digging for stone I only use stone pickaxes unless I come across some gold, diamond, or redstone that needs mining. I had over 128 iron bars at one point, so I figured I'd be fine speeding up my mining operations by switching over to iron pickaxes to gather stone. It did speed it up, but I blew through my iron supply before I knew it.

Make like 5-8 stone pickaxes and 1-2 iron for each mining expedition. Bring a diamond pick only if you wanna make/get some obsidian.

Use diamond for sword first and foremost, and if you really have a ton of diamond make some armor (but it'll wear out faster than you want it to. I find it's not worth it.)

GDJustin

I really think diamond tools and armor need to be able to be repaired. I posted this a ~month ago in this topic and I stand by it.

Either in the furnace or a new "repair station" block. Place a diamond pickaxe in the top, a diamond in the bottom, and it brings it back up to full health.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
OatmealMu said:
Check http://oatmealmu.freeiz.com/ for server status. It'll be up in a little under 5 hours and go until the usual time... if it's stable enough. I'm upping the player limit to 20, fire is enabled, and tnt is enabled so don't expect a smooth experience.
Can you give us some wood blocks too? I have the feeling the area right next to spawn is going to turn into a bottomless pit, plus it would be easier to chain fire.

GDJustin said:
I really think diamond tools and armor need to be able to be repaired. I posted this a ~month ago in this topic and I stand by it.

Either in the furnace or a new "repair station" block. Place a diamond pickaxe in the top, a diamond in the bottom, and it brings it back up to full health.

Stick to the same world and don't be so afraid to explore caves. You'll find more diamond than you really need. :D

Vinci

Danish
In one relatively short dig, I found over 25 diamonds. Be meticulous and you'll find them.

EDIT: My only request for the game is that you're able to use gravel in some fashion. I thought of maybe having it work like concrete. Mix it with a bucket of water in your crafting grid - maybe 8 gravel and 1 bucket of water in the middle - and you're able to pour it into a space similar to water, only it moves like lava (slow like) and hardens after a short while. I don't know, just a thought. I hate damn gravel - I'm having to invent ideas for worlds in order to find something useful to do with it.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
All those blocks generated after tnt detonation probably won't help either though :p

Good thing we're all invulnerable.

Erm... I kind of just personally killed the server right now. I decided to take the pyramid out in style by digging into it from the top of the central column and I went all the way down to bedrock. This was promptly filled with tnt all the way to the top of the map again and I think you can work out what happened from here...

Blizzard

Banned
I just wanted to point out that as of now, Minecraft has sold over $1,000,000 USD. Not bad for an alpha game. Of course, 50-60% of that is probably paypal fees and taxes and housing and food and video games and gas and travel expenses, but it's still not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom