• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

kodt

Banned
dejay said:
Low carb GAF approves.

Anyone got a remedy for random crashes? (edit) Fatal java runtime error

Yeah if you are running 64 bit Windows then make sure you have 64 bit Java installed. The easiest way would be to run the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer (search bar in Windows 7 will find it) and then go to the Java website and install Java, it will auto-detect 64 bit for you.

edit: oh you have 32bit? Well then it is probably a different issue.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I dug a tunnel over 1000 blocks through the nether in anticipation of 1.8. Built a portal and didn't light it. With the official release i lit it and went through. Came out about 12 blocks above the ocean with nothing in sight. There is a small island a bit away just out of initial sight. This is going to get interesting!

bengraven

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I can't remember if i bought Alpha or Beta. When did it go into Beta? I've had the game for... must be over a year now.

I bought it exactly a year ago today and I got the Alpha version.

Game went beta in December 2010.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Toppot said:
Since I need around 80,000 blocks of sand for my next big project I am very much for having a huge dessert next to spawn =D
I rather not have a spawn that has been completely dug out. One of the servers had that happen, and it made the spawn area look horrible. Do you still always spawn on sand, or has that been changed?

Jasoco

Banned
I think the mushroom biome could be awesome if it wasn't too common and had animals and mobs unique to it with the ability to make those mobs your own (Without having to push them all the way home) so you can put them on a farm or in a zoo too.

Also, the pig church is awesusome.

I would have made one to worship the Creeper though. Maybe in my own town when I build it.

Glasswork

Drkirby said:
I rather not have a spawn that has been completely dug out. One of the servers had that happen, and it made the spawn area look horrible. Do you still always spawn on sand, or has that been changed?
It's been changed, in fact, not once have I spawned on sand, which is just my luck because I'm looking for deserts ( ´_ゝ`)

Grinchy

Banned
I really can't wait until we can put maps up on our walls (unless we can and I missed it). I have been filling out a map in my SP world, but now I get all scared when I'm carrying it with me. I value it above my diamond tools.

Mengy said:
I don't. Coal is plentiful and easy to get and only used for fuel and torches, while iron is more rare and much more useful as tools or tracks or weapons or armor or pistons, and other things. If the bucket was reusable and not burned up in the furnace then yeah, this would be awesome, but as is I never do it. Maybe if I ever get a chest full of buckets I'd do it, but even then, probably not. I'd much rather burn coal all day and night.

Iron is precious to me, my own, my precious....
Yeah that's totally true actually. My thing is just that ever since I found out about charcoal, I "burned myself out" on farming trees. At least now we have a better reach, so cutting a bunch of trees down is much faster/easier, but there are times when I just don't feel like messing with trees (and my tower is in the middle of an enormous forest lol)

dejay

Banned
kodt said:
Yeah if you are running 64 bit Windows then make sure you have 64 bit Java installed. The easiest way would be to run the 64 bit version of Internet Explorer (search bar in Windows 7 will find it) and then go to the Java website and install Java, it will auto-detect 64 bit for you.

edit: oh you have 32bit? Well then it is probably a different issue.

I just turned graphics from fancy to fast. Seems to work, although I miss fancy :(

Jhriad

Toppot said:
Since I need around 80,000 blocks of sand for my next big project I am very much for having a huge dessert next to spawn =D

Sounds like you should start digging now and just store some of the stuff on the arks.

Jhriad said:
Sounds like you should start digging now and just store some of the stuff on the arks.

Yea, Last couple weeks I've just been gathering stuff and filling up chests on the ark. Ark should spawn a tower of sandstone again so people dont rape the landscape of sand.

Drunk Minecraft ... mmmmm.

Fucking boats! Look, when a boat and a chicken collide ... the chicken should NOT be the winner. That's just wrong.

I built another one and packed my crafting bench away. Cast the boat into the water .... and it drifted into some sand about 10 blocks away and fell apart. I just sat there and laughed.

Boats are a bigger enemy than all the monsters combined.

Glasswork

Rabbit Lord said:
Yea, Last couple weeks I've just been gathering stuff and filling up chests on the ark. Ark should spawn a tower of sandstone again so people dont rape the landscape of sand.

I always thought Notch should add sandstone caves, mining it from the surface has always been a massive pain and it leaves an ugly scar on the map.

Edit: They'd also make PERFECT Ali Baba-esque hideouts.

Toppot

Drkirby said:
I plan to dig sand with aesthetics in mind, either digging down to the sandstone or digging up a part next to another biome and terraform what I dig to match or find my own island of sand to clear out and cover up. I have no intention to make spawn or any part of the map look horrible =]

Glasswork said:
First, what the hell are you building with (edit:)80k blocks of sand? ( ´_ゝ`)
Second, MY BABY WILL NOT BE DUG UP AND MINED ;A;
A very large dome/pyramid thing. Somewhere out the way of cities etc where i shall live and have many farms and things inside. It's a very ambitious project and getting the materials will take weeks if not months. Plus I will need around 53,000 torches, so 13,000 coal or charcoal and 1000 logs. plus maybe 500 blocks of dirt to help construction. I'll do some more proper maths to figure it out, may be out by a few thousand.

Jhriad said:
I had already collected a lot of sand before the arks came about but I don't want to take up precious space on the ark for my own selfish needs.

limlark

Requesting permission to give my brother the address for NeoCraft? He has too much griefer trouble on his regular server. He's good people. :)

Glasswork

Toppot said:
A very large dome/pyramid thing. Somewhere out the way of cities etc where i shall live and have many farms and things inside. It's a very ambitious project and getting the materials will take weeks if not months. Plus I will need around 53,000 torches, so 13,000 coal or charcoal and 1000 logs. plus maybe 500 blocks of dirt to help construction. I'll do some more proper maths to figure it out, may be out by a few thousand.

How exactly would that work with the height limit? even if it were extended to 240 I can't see you fitting 80k blocks....at all.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Borgnine said:
I wonder if I could set up an evil factory farm type operation where I put one egg in a one block empty space so that when the chicken is born they can't move around.

It worked!

HPsDf.jpg

Toppot

Glasswork said:
How exactly would that work with the height limit? even if it were extended to 240 I can't see you fitting 80k blocks....at all.
Just because something is big doesn't mean it is tall ;). I'm working on the level atm that 64 is the max build height from ground level. The base would be around 256x256 based on my new calculations, just with curved corners, I'm working on coming up with a final number of blocks =P

If height was increased (Which I am against for performance reasons, already having to go down to normal for 1.8) then I would probably just build a normal taller dme or sorten the base of my idea. I may well do a scale model in SSP creative mode to show what I plan too do, as people seem alarmed =P

commissar

Borgnine said:
It worked!

HPsDf.jpg
So what's the trick to eggs?

I threw like five of them down in my house and left my pc for a bit with MC running.
Came back and all that had happened was my eggs had disappeared :/

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
commissar said:
So what's the trick to eggs?

I threw like five of them down in my house and left my pc for a bit with MC running.
Came back and all that had happened was my eggs had disappeared :/

I also learned this the hard way: "throw" means right click, Q means drop. You need to throw. It'll break and you have a 1/8 chance of a chicken coming out.

Jhriad

Toppot said:
I had already collected a lot of sand before the arks came about but I don't want to take up precious space on the ark for my own selfish needs.

There's still plenty of room in the second ark and even a number of unclaimed spots in the original. Could easily fit a few chests of sand. It would be a start for your project at least. :)

Toppot

Worked out the mass of my building needing 84,692 glass/sand blocks, minus 168/672/1512 of wool blocks depending on the size of my motif on the roof. To light it all I don't know the math to work it out, I'll need 8064 just for the sides though maybe 24,000 if I do the roof to, plus a few thousand for the corners so say 36,000 torches. Which would be 9000 coal/charcoal and 563 logs. then again i could do just a 256x256 dome and stop half way and roof it in, then light up the sides and it would look like a ring from 'space' at night, still requiring about 84,000 blocks.

Lighting a roof is a part i don't know how I will do and may require several thousand more glass blocks.

I'll work on some 1:8 or 1:16 models tomorrow probably.

Jhriad said:
There's still plenty of room in the second ark and even a number of unclaimed spots in the original. Could easily fit a few chests of sand. It would be a start for your project at least. :)
I shall look into it =] Think I have 4-5 large chests full of sand and 2-3 of glass.

JVIDICAN

Has anyone come across a world height mod for 1.8 yet? I know it's supposed to be easier to create a mod for it now, but I haven't found anything yet, even wip. :3

Kuran

Banned
I would love the ability to 'paint' wood and stone. Rather than to use 'wool' for construction, which is just silly for most cases.

Xun

Kuran said:
I would love the ability to 'paint' wood and stone. Rather than to use 'wool' for construction, which is just silly for most cases.
Same.

Just not sure how it would work.

Xun said:
Same.

Just not sure how it would work.

I think it could work relatively easily actually... well in the sense of the games overall design at least... coding wise I am not sure...

Add in additional colored blocks (a new block for each type of color/dye available) then add in some new craftable items like a spray paint can or maybe something a bit less complex like a paint brush and a can of paint made with a specific colored dye. (the brush could be made similarly to a Pick axe with 2 sticks and maybe 3 feathers? and the paint can can be made similar to a bucket only with a dye color throw into the middle of the 3 iron?)

The paint brush and paint can can function similarly to how the Bow and Arrow works only it would have to be relegated to a single can of a paint in the inventory as selecting colors in that fashion would obviously be trickier...

See? Simple! Would be a pretty large content update... maybe they would consider something like that for like the DLC once the game is finished...

Kuran said:

I saw a mod for last night i'll see if i can find it.

EDIT:

Here , It's for 1.7.3 but it should hopefully come to 1.8. haven't tried it btw.

EDIT2:
I'm in love with fence gates, You can stack them for awesome barn doors or security gates.

edit3:lololo i quoted the wrong person at first.

It's ridiculous that we have to use wool for colouring buildings, and that it's wools only real use. You should be able to make a paint brush out of a stick and wool and then apply a dye to that brush and then simply click on the surface you want to paint. Each portion of dye would be enough to cover only a certain area, and you'd have to reapply dye to the brush to finish the job or change the colour.

Also, there should be more sensible uses for wool - curtains maybe, or craftable rugs that would offer more detail than simply putting a pattern of wool blocks on the floor. I just want a ton more decorative options. I always build stuff with no idea of what I'm going to fill it with.

Grinchy

Banned
^Damn that's a good idea.

Wool would still have a purpose and you could still do colored blocks. In fact, you could even use like red wool blocks to make red curtains, ect. Black wool blocks could create a black couch, and then I could make a dudebro apartment.

Vlad

Bootaaay said:
It's ridiculous that we have to use wool for colouring buildings, and that it's wools only real use. You should be able to make a paint brush out of a stick and wool and then apply a dye to that brush and then simply click on the surface you want to paint. Each portion of dye would be enough to cover only a certain area, and you'd have to reapply dye to the brush to finish the job or change the colour.

Well, there's always this awesome looking mod

Drewsky

I was just mining for the first time in 1.8 and ran into a randomly generated mine or subway looking thing. Has this happened for like everyone at this point because I feel like I just struck gold. Metaphorically.

Edit: It's a mine. It's awesome. I'm high. Ignore my post.

Does this look odd?

I'm trying to connect a north/south running road with an east/west running road. I'm building a diagonal road to connect both. The n/s and e/w roads are two slabs, two cobble, two slabs. I put the red dots to show how the diagonal road blocks are intended to match up with the straight roads.

The diagonal part looks wrong (too wide) but I can't find a decent way to do it.

Cg1O6.jpg

Any ideas?

Enco

So what happened to more in game sounds? The world is as empty and silent as ever.

The environment is much more interesting with this update but there's still a LOT to add.

The most annoying thing about this is that the game has such a huge amount of potential to appeal to people who don't just want to build and explore. Imagine having a borderlands type random weapon generation system.

Blizzard

Banned
Enco said:
So what happened to more in game sounds? The world is as empty and silent as ever.

The environment is much more interesting with this update but there's still a LOT to add.

The most annoying thing about this is that the game has such a huge amount of potential to appeal to people who don't just want to build and explore. Imagine having a borderlands type random weapon generation system.
There might be mods that do this sort of thing. There's even the huge Pokemon world/capturing mod.

And as I keep whining, if they add too much stuff without optimizing as well, performance may continue to go down. (sounds presumably shouldn't fall under this category but still)

Mik2121

Enco said:

There are just so many things they could add, it's not even funny.

- More Sounds (birds, wind, etc..)
- More friendly and enemy mobs (birds, rabbits, ducks, horses, or stuff like dragons)
- Things to collect ala Animal Crossing (add lots of animals like fishes so we can fish different stuff, or plants, or bones hidden in caves, or what have you)
- More materials to build stuff and more stuff to build with the current materials (sandstone stairs? ugh.., also more kinds of woods, more kinds of rock/stone, etc..).

But really, probably stuff like birds and environment sound would already do quite a bit to improve the mood. Also things like small butterflies and the like to have them fly around you (they don't even need to be detailed), etc.. Also more fantasy related stuff ala Skyrim would be nice too, but hey...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Enco said:

I was wondering about that too. C148 has supposedly made all manner of new and revised sounds, but they didn't seem to make it into 1.8. Maybe 1.9...

I think the most frustrating thing is seeing the stuff the mod community creates in their spare time compared to the trickle of new features Mojang hand out every update, which grow increasingly few and far between. I miss the early days of the near-weekly updates, with a new block or item or crafting recipe to try out each time. Just give us more stuff to build with! What good is an XP system in 1.8 when there's no use for it yet? What good are NPC villages when NPC's don't spawn in 1.8 and we'll probably have to re-roll to get those villages populated come the next update?

Orlandu84

Enco said:

I'm glad that I'm not the only one wondering that. Sometimes I have to check to make sure that my sound is on because the game is so quiet. As others have already said, a few new sounds would go a long way.

Top Bottom