• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

celebi23

Quick question: If you light a fire on sandstone, it should stay on fire, right? I tried lighting a fire on sandstone (for my fireplace) and the fires went out after a few seconds.

JVIDICAN said:
I made one of those, minus the cage fence, for my house in 1.73. It almost burned down my second floor. D:

This is what I spent my Friday night and most of this morning on. Hallgrímskirkja Church.
UsAZx.png

dUxIx.png

That looks great!

Togglesworlh said:
I like those stone textures. What's the name of the pack so I can decide if I like the everything else? :D

I'm at work so I can't check the filename. It was released in this thread, right around the day the official 1.8 came out. I can't remember the poster's name, I'll go back through the pages to find it. It is a blend of a bunch of Doku packs.

nismogrendel said:
I'm at work so I can't check the filename. It was released in this thread, right around the day the official 1.8 came out. I can't remember the poster's name, I'll go back through the pages to find it. It is a blend of a bunch of Doku packs.
Hmm. I never liked what I saw of Doku before - it always seemed like... Too Much, if that makes any sense - but I do like that stone texture quite a bit. Maybe I will have to give Doku a real chance finally. Thanks. Sorry for the trouble, heh.

Togglesworlh said:
Hmm. I never liked what I saw of Doku before - it always seemed like... Too Much, if that makes any sense - but I do like that stone texture quite a bit. Maybe I will have to give Doku a real chance finally. Thanks. Sorry for the trouble, heh.

I found the post, here is a copy paste. I really like Doku packs, I've been running one flavor or another for the last few months.

Mirk said:
Okay Server is up and has been stable all night :D

Also I updated my hacked up texture pack if any of you would like to give it a try!

Texture Pack Get!

It is a mix of GeroDoko and Johnsmith with alot of tweaks and my own textures.

Also to use the texture pack you need to patch your Minecraft jar file with
THIS!

Pics!

2011-09-14_02.03.47.png

2011-09-14_02.03.58.png

2011-09-14_02.06.23.png

2011-09-14_02.07.07.png

Qwomo said:
Netherstone is the only perma-fire block AFAIK. Maybe logs, too, sometimes.

Definitely not logs anymore unless you get some kind of wonderful glitch. Also fire properties were changed a couple patches back so if you have a fireplace beware.. I had a wonderful tree house setup going that I almost lost several timea due to fire spreqding to places it never could before

nismogrendel said:
I found the post, here is a copy paste. I really like Doku packs, I've been running one flavor or another for the last few months.
Cool, thanks! I don't like the way that dirt block looks and those chests definitely. It's Too Much. But I'm gonna try it out anyway. X:

1zdp3qc.jpg

Sweet random lava pit out doors with 3 curious tree stumps on the other side. There's actually hill tops and a mountain with a ton of paths that lead to out door ledges overlooking the lava, I have to decorate it like it's an exhibit.

I'm using the seed "gimmeabreak" because I wanted to see a village and that spawns you in the middle of one, but the rest of the world has proved to be really cool.

celebi23

Qwomo said:
Netherstone is the only perma-fire block AFAIK. Maybe logs, too, sometimes.
Ah, right. Netherrack did the trick. Gave me an excuse to mine some Obsidian & warp to the Nether. Thanks!

Onion_Relish said:
Definitely not logs anymore unless you get some kind of wonderful glitch. Also fire properties were changed a couple patches back so if you have a fireplace beware.. I had a wonderful tree house setup going that I almost lost several timea due to fire spreqding to places it never could before
Yeah, i started to notice that. I surrounded the fireplace with the stone brick so, hopefully that'll stop the fire from spreading.

rezuth

wwm0nkey said:
Ok with 1.8 this is the first time I actually found a dungeon. Do they usually have wooden gates and cart tracks all over the place?
I believe those are just mineshafts, you'll want to find a seed with a stronghold in it.

Drazgul

wwm0nkey said:
Ok with 1.8 this is the first time I actually found a dungeon. Do they usually have wooden gates and cart tracks all over the place?

No, that'd be a mineshaft. Dungeons are small cubicle rooms made of (mostly) mossy cobblestone, with a monster spawner in the middle and a chest or two on the sides of the room.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ranger X said:
I agree that Notch doesn't give me the impression of a someone knowing how to cash on Minecraft but he's making millions of bucks and that must be enough for him, he doesn't feel any need to further enhance, improve or make his business bigger/better, wich I have to respect as a personal choice. One thing I really like about him is that he's not the type of person that gives a shit. And part of his personality there is that he will not "add for adding". He will add something to the game when he really feels it --- and THAT is a part of "being a great designer" imo.

I think that, when it comes to the MC updates, a lot of people don't really look at it from Notch's point of view. He envisioned Minecraft, developed it on his own, and did all of the hard work to get it where the game is today. Sure Jeb has done some of the better updates lately, but without all of Notch's hard work for the year and a half before that, the game wouldn't be where it is today. He even quit his job to devote all of his time to the game, because he couldn't work on it fast enough part time to keep his customers happy.

Minecraft has been a success for him, as a developer, but it has been his life for the past two years. And he is nowhere near done with the game. He still has plenty of ideas and things to add to it. But give the man a break, maybe he just needs to slow it down for a bit to recharge. Let's let him enjoy his success for a little while, the man has earned it.

And don't forget, Notch is a game developer. Minecraft isn't the only game he has rattling around in his head. This success will give him the freedom to explore other ideas and games. And that is the dream of every game developer, to have the freedom to be creative at will.

In the meantime we can enjoy the game he has made for us and if we want things added to it there is a hell of a strong mod community to keep us appeased. But Notch needs to enjoy what he has earned too.

spirity

So what texture packs is everyone fond of? I was using Ovo's but it hasn't been updated for 1.8 yet. Currently using Misa's but Johnsmith's and Soartex is worth a mention.

Venfayth

spirity said:
So what texture packs is everyone fond of? I was using Ovo's but it hasn't been updated for 1.8 yet. Currently using Misa's but Johnsmith's and Soartex is worth a mention.

I really like the Painterly Pack and Gerudoku :)

Zafir

Finally got round to making a copy of the Delphinus from SoA. It's far from perfect but I'm kind of happy with the result.

u4rtsl.jpg

A98srl.jpg

EVIL

Onion_Relish said:
Also fire properties were changed a couple patches back so if you have a fireplace beware.. I had a wonderful tree house setup going that I almost lost several timea due to fire spreqding to places it never could before
never had issues with fire before, but I found half my mountain top house gone because lightning stuck my wooden house at a place where there was no direct rain (under the roof that sticks out) I assume after that the rain stopped because half the thing stood ablaze

Question about creative mode. I've have a server that some friends and I have been using for a month or so. I updated to 1.8 and decided to turn on creative mode, so I changed the gamemode property in server.properties to 1. This didn't really turn on global creative mode like I thought it would, so for myself, I typed "/gamemode myusername 1", which worked for me. I was going to turn it on for my other friends, but it will not let me unless they are logged in.

We don't cross paths too often and I want them to have it the next time they log in. How can I turn on creative mode for them without having to be on the server with them at the same time?

Zafir

I take it you don't trust them enough to give them OP powers?

Edit: I just double checked with a server hosted by myself. "gamemode=1" does definitely default everyone to creative mode. Did you make sure to restart the server (program) after editing the properties?

Zafir said:
I take it you don't trust them enough to give them OP powers?

Edit: I just double checked with a server hosted by myself. "gamemode=1" does definitely default everyone to creative mode. Did you make sure to restart the server (program) after editing the properties?

Yeah, I actually restarted it twice but it never defaulted me, so I had to set it manually. I definitely trust them enough to give them op powers, but then I'd have to explain how to use them and I just assume not got through that trouble. :p

HOLY MOTHER FUCKING SHITTTT

Given my skin, you can see why that would make me spaz out.

rezuth

spirity said:
Frenden is my weapon of choice, I think he also said 1.8 update will be out tonight.

Jasoco

Banned
spirity said:
I like Painterly. It's highly customizable. But I also got into Jolicraft before 1.8 and might go back to it. It's also customizable, but not as nearly.

Drazgul

As much as I like using higher-res texture packs, the resulting difference between vanilla stuff and mod-added blocks/items (which almost always are 16x only) is just too jarring for me to usually bother. Misa's and the various versions of Doku are both great packs tho.

vv Chinner vv : just use a lighter?

Zafir

vas_a_morir said:
u4rtsl.jpg

Like, is the interior legit?
The command room and lounge/dining room look as close I can get it to the real thing wooden walkways and all, you do have to go up two sets of stairs to get to the command room mind. The lookout point at the top is gotten to via a ladder like in the game as well. I will admit it is like a 2.0 Delphinus since there was quite a lot of interior space unused after doing what is visitable in the game, so I decided to add a bit extra than what you see in the game, for example shops, bedrooms(I can't be the only one who wondered where they slept...), a pool even.

Lounge -
rYQ00l.jpg

JhaY4l.jpg

Command Room -
KCQ1ll.jpg

Dd71Dl.jpg

Lookout point -
6nKhal.jpg

snz3jl.jpg

Deck -
HqENol.jpg

Delphinus 2.0 additions -
16Qjul.jpg

RYW1Ql.jpg

tM8fol.jpg

Due to the limits of minecraft, you're just going to have to imagine that the paintings are the flag, stone blocks are steel, bookshelfs are shelves with bottles on, wood blocks are tables, and stairs are chairs, lol.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Jasoco said:
I like Painterly. It's highly customizable. But I also got into Jolicraft before 1.8 and might go back to it. It's also customizable, but not as nearly.

+1 for painterly.

Top Bottom