• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

celebi23

I think I've got enough food
25gxvu9.png

Oh & those who suggested having a chicken farm really had the right idea

PatzCU

SixStringPsycho said:
*Pretty Image*
If only this was possible.
Sorry if old

I would probably never see the light of day again if Minecraft looked like that. Not to sound superficial about the graphics, but that would go a long way toward personal satisfaction in constructing something amazing.

Grinchy

Banned
Complex Shadow said:
god i hate flint/gravel.
One of my favorite things about the changes to the bow is that you now go through way less arrows. Making arrows used to be my most hated part of the game. I do not like gathering flint either. But now, I don't mind it at all. A stack of arrows can last you a long time in 1.8. Two fully charged shots kills any mob IIRC.

I hate when Notch talks about new features and updates without posting pictures. :(
Today he made the swamp biome "swampier" and I want to seeeee! Hopefully some sort of mud block.

Drazgul

celebi23 said:
Oh & those who suggested having a chicken farm really had the right idea

It's a bitch to get going tho, chickens are never around when you need them and the one time I managed to hatch one from an egg, it mysteriously disappears soon after (animals are persistent in SMP too, right?).

Bandicoot

So if I already updated to 1.8, I am boned on the GAF servers right? I am getting an out of date error when I try to connect. Is there anyway to go back to 1.7?

Emitan

Bandicoot said:
So if I already updated to 1.8, I am boned on the GAF servers right? I am getting an out of date error when I try to connect. Is there anyway to go back to 1.7?
I want to know this, too. I've never actually played Minecraft online before (only single player and a few LANs), so I'm clueless.

I think that flint has become more common in 1.8 when destroying gravel. I use gravel a lot as a improvised tower when I am trying to reach something high. It seems that I am getting more flint than I used to when I go to tear it down.

guest1321

Bandicoot said:
Assuming the two of you are on mac (might be the same for windows too), all you need to do is find a copy of the minecraft.jar file for 1.7.3

Emitan

guest1321 said:
Assuming the two of you are on mac (might be the same for windows too), all you need to do is find a copy of the minecraft.jar file for 1.7.3
My Mac runs Minecraft terribly, so I play on my desktop.

EDIT: Wait, no. That'll work for the Windows verison. Time to scour the web for 1.7.3

Kritz

Banned
jambo said:
Bloody Minecraft, I've spent $1800 upgrading my PC this year, and all I played on the weekend was Minecraft :lol
Lol, I've bought RO2 as well as a few other games I intended to shit some time into, but yeah, we've both been building on Xenos' AusGAF Survival server.

I do enjoy popping into ark's every so often, but the latency makes fighting mobs such an annoyance. I wonder if we can get xenos to increase the uptime...

I was making myself a new custom skin, and while I'm no pixel artist, I'm happy with its progress. Is there a good way to use the accessories area to enhance hair? It always ends up looking so disjointed.

charKritz.png

I seldom change skins, but I do find the process of drawing just as fun as the game itself.

LATE EDIT: Making posts from mobile devices is hard.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Kritz said:
I was making myself a new custom skin, and while I'm mo pixel artist, I'm happy with its progress. Is there a good way to use the accessories area to enhance hair? It always ends up looking so disjointed.

I seldom change skins, but I do find the process of drawing just as fun as the game itself.

That's not a bad skin at all, nice job! I've been using the same downloaded skin since I first started playing SMP, but I want to make my own custom skin. I've made a few but I haven't finished one yet that I like enough to use. Maybe tonight I need to just sit down and draw a skin up that I like enough to make my own.

Some more of my 1.8 place after a couple hours last night. I explored the entire map of my spawn mostly but made some progress on my small house as well.

(click for larger versions)

Front and back entrances:

Views from the lake:

I should probably spruce up the sides of the place a bit - lots of bare stone brick walls.

Some more cool biome generation around the spawn:

Bootaaay said:
Wow, I really like that style. Super cool!

bengraven

Mineshafts are SO so awesome. The twists and turns, the deceptive claustrophic mazes, the treasure chests...

In my opinion, shafts themselves have changed the game. I have yet to find a stronghold, but the shafts are so damn fun that even without strongholds, this is definitely an "adventure".

Kritz

Banned
Mengy said:
That's not a bad skin at all, nice job! I've been using the same downloaded skin since I first started playing SMP, but I want to make my own custom skin. I've made a few but I haven't finished one yet that I like enough to use. Maybe tonight I need to just sit down and draw a skin up that I like enough to make my own.

I think it's so oddly close to the actions of Minecraft, making a skin. You're essentially just placing coloured blocks trying to make some kind of aesthetic.

I kind of can't really ever use any skins I see online. I really just have to make my own, even if I don't have the talent or ability of some of the people submitting their artwork. Much like how I can't just "live" in someone else's minecraft structure. Just gives it a bit more personality.

Mengy

bengraven said:
Mineshafts are SO so awesome. The twists and turns, the deceptive claustrophic mazes, the treasure chests...

In my opinion, shafts themselves have changed the game. I have yet to find a stronghold, but the shafts are so damn fun that even without strongholds, this is definitely an "adventure".

Agreed. Mineshafts plus ravines plus cave spiders plus the dark fog at bedrock have added a whole new dimension to the underground that I like alot. I love picking mineshafts for all the rails and planks, afterwards you are left with a maze of square tunnels that are freaking cool to run around in. I've also found many ores behind planks along the walls. Cave spider spawners though, my new Minecraft terror is cave spider spawners...

Before you know it we will be seeing red zombies with swords and blue creepers who run twice as fast...

bengraven said:

Agreed, they're a real game-changer. Very claustrophobic and generally fun to traverse - I love when I come to a little junction and I'm super worried that I'm going to peek around the wooden pillars and get an arrow shot in my eye. Then, after spending an hour or more crawling through the shafts, when you come on a huge cavern with lava, waterfalls, and open space it's so much more exciting than it was before. I also like how sometimes the terrain generates in such a way that the wood and "fence" posts from the caverns gets broken up by ravines and chasms - makes some interesting scenery with the wood pieces hanging there.

bengraven

What's really awesome is to see minetracks going into a wall...then breaking a few blocks of stone or gravel and finding the tunnel had just "collapsed".

I'm sitting on so much wood down there. My only fear is getting lost but so far I haven't had that happen.

Wanace

Endermen are just screwing with me. They place a few blocks around torches I use to mark my path, and then when I return I can't recognize the area or which way to go. The entrance to a cave system was almost completely unrecognizable when I returned to the surface after an extended session.

Can you starve now? I was in my mine the other day and was pretty low on food. I got attacked by a spider deep in a mine shaft and went down to about 1 health with only 2 food with nothing to eat. I was super worried that that last bit of health would wither away if I started to starve but I wasn't sure if that mechanic was in the game. I ended up escaping and making it back to the surface alive but it was a terrifying dash out the tunnels.

bengraven said:
What's really awesome is to see minetracks going into a wall...then breaking a few blocks of stone or gravel and finding the tunnel had just "collapsed".

I'm sitting on so much wood down there. My only fear is getting lost but so far I haven't had that happen.
I follow the tried and true system of only placing torches on my right as I go deeper and then following them back out (by keeping them to my left) while exiting. For the most part that still works but I've ran into a few instance where I'll intersect a previous path a couple times and it gets a little mixed up. At that point I usually put up temporary walls or place a sign post.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Houston3000 said:
Can you starve now? I was in my mine the other day and was pretty low on food. I got attacked by a spider deep in a mine shaft and went down to about 1 health with only 2 food with nothing to eat. I was super worried that that last bit of health would wither away if I started to starve but I wasn't sure if that mechanic was in the game. I ended up escaping and making it back to the surface alive but it was terrifying.

Only on Hard. Easy/Medium, you keep losing health to a certain point, but you can't die just from hunger, you have to take damage too.

Ranger X

Cryptozoologist said:
Endermen are just screwing with me. They place a few blocks around torches I use to mark my path, and then when I return I can't recognize the area or which way to go. The entrance to a cave system was almost completely unrecognizable when I returned to the surface after an extended session.

Seriously, the Endermen is the first real flaw in Minecraft. They shouldn't pick up blocks that are placed by the player. Seriously, the Endermen messing your stuff doesn't bring jack shit to any aspects of the game. It only potentially bring frustration.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
Seriously, the Endermen is the first real flaw in Minecraft. They shouldn't pick up blocks that are placed by the player. Seriously, the Endermen messing your stuff doesn't bring jack shit to any aspects of the game. It only potentially bring frustration.

damn, didn't realise they did that, just thought they wandered around shuffling a few blocks from the landscape here and there.

Do they vary what they move based on difficulty?

And do they move things while you're 'away'? eg in single player if you away for 24hrs, does the game move things around to simulate the down time? If not it wouldn't be so bad, but possibly a nightmare for multiplayer.

Mengy

Ranger X said:

I haven't seen any spawn in well lit areas yet, or do they? Caves I've explored and lit up don't seem to ever have endermen in them again, and the area around my new base that I have lit up hasn't had any endermen messing with it. Maybe I've just been lucky?

rezuth

Cryptozoologist said:
This is why they are awesome ;)

Wanace

Mengy said:
I haven't seen any spawn in well lit areas yet, or do they? Caves I've explored and lit up don't seem to ever have endermen in them again, and the area around my new base that I have lit up hasn't had any endermen messing with it. Maybe I've just been lucky?

It's possible that they don't really screw with you that much. This cave system was large and had lots of lava around, but still had plenty of dark, unlit passages off of each one so I was moving back and forth between them as I came to dead ends or whatnot.

Still, it's amazing what a couple of moved blocks can do to screw with your head and recognition of an area. I don't know for sure that they move torches around but I'm guessing they can pick up blocks that torches are attached to and then those torches will eventually disappear from the ground.

Maybe I'm just going crazy and they really aren't doing that much, but it's just the feeling that they do and the uncertainty that makes it all creepy and stressful when you can't remember exactly which way to go at a crossroads.

JoeBoy101

bengraven said:

Good lord, you aren't kidding about the getting lost.

On mine, I got a mine that is not far from a desert village I made my home. Its more and ex-mine because an underground ravine has cut right through the major part of the mine. Wood blocks, tracks, lava, water, everything everywhere. Simply incredible.

Ranger X said:
Seriously, the Endermen is the first real flaw in Minecraft.[/B] They shouldn't pick up blocks that are placed by the player. Seriously, the Endermen messing your stuff doesn't bring jack shit to any aspects of the game. It only potentially bring frustration.
They're not bad at all, just light up the area around your structure. Endermen can't pick up fences, fence gates, iron bars, glass panes, stairs, and they can't break through vines. Both lava and water kill them so motes are super effective as well if you don't want to put up fences, bars, etc...

Ranger X

My experience with them so far, the only negative one so far is that they "griefed" my pyramid in single player. I didn't went near my pyramid but probably close enough so they could spawn. I had 2 blocks removed in my walls. My environnement however is indeed partially lit because it's ugly with torches everywhere. ;)

samoset

I think the bigger problem with them personally is that they'll pick up tree blocks. Leaving me to find trees that are just floating there. It ends up just kinda looking dumb.

WHAT A BUNCHA BABIES YOU ALL ARE, TIME TO MAN UP AND QUIT YER BELLY-ACHIN'

:D

No but really I love the Endermen they're like griefers BUILT INTO THE GAME. Almost (but not really) akes up for the lack of real griefers making life interesting. ):

Blizzard

Banned
Mengy said:
Well thats dissapointing. What is the point of endermen then? :(
The point was to be creepy and/or terrifying, which sound effects should help. Who wants monsters griefing their buildings? At least with creepers it typically only happens when you're involved. (another option could be for the endermen to only grief on hard difficulty)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mengy said:
Well thats dissapointing. What is the point of endermen then? :(

Just make him only carrying dirt blocks and everyone is happy.

Drazgul

Blizzard said:
At least with creepers it typically only happens when you're involved. (another option could be for the endermen to only grief on hard difficulty)

Creepers that explode on their own could be pretty funny tho.

Blizzard

Banned
Togglesworlh said:
Me. It makes the game more interesting.
You're in the minority (maybe)!
ludwigruw0.gif

At any rate, it sounds like they only carry certain blocks. It could be made optional, or maybe even added as a mod option if Notch removes it permanently. I'd like to think it will settle down eventually.

I remember in the early days a lot of people saying they wanted the enemies to actually attack their buildings. I think the Endermen destroying stuff is awesome, but then I don't mind if my place gets trashed on occasion.

Top Bottom