• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

guest1321

I haven't been on NeoCraft in about two months (School and such); however, I am looking forward to inhabiting the new world as soon as 1.8 roles out. I recall some talk about having the spawn obviously fit in with the Arks and have it be a harbor like area. Is everyone planning on creating a fishing village-esque town or was it going to be a loading dock and then have a town close by? Since I am lacking a lot of the creative mindset that building in minecraft requires I was wondering if anyone had some large scale projects that they wanted help on?

Grinchy

Banned
jambo said:
Bloody Minecraft, I've spent $1800 upgrading my PC this year, and all I played on the weekend was Minecraft :lol
lol! I'm so not a PC gamer that I had a computer with a quad core CPU and 8 gigs of ram for over 2 years before buying a videocard - and one of the major reasons I bought it was so Minecraft would run better. I have to admit I've really enjoyed a lot of other PC games in the meantime, though. Especially the multiplats that I can max at 1200p now. It really helps make the consoles look like shit.

Zafir said:
The command room and lounge/dining room look as close I can get it to the real thing wooden walkways and all, you do have to go up two sets of stairs to get to the command room mind. The lookout point at the top is gotten to via a ladder like in the game as well. I will admit it is like a 2.0 Delphinus since there was quite a lot of interior space unused after doing what is visitable in the game, so I decided to add a bit extra than what you see in the game, for example shops, bedrooms(I can't be the only one who wondered where they slept...), a pool even.

pics

Due to the limits of minecraft, you're just going to have to imagine that the paintings are the flag, stone blocks are steel, bookshelfs are shelves with bottles on, wood blocks are tables, and stairs are chairs, lol.

Your airship looks great!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
gutabo said:

Interesting. So not only will there be generated structures out of a new block in the nether now, but generated bridges too? I wonder if ghasts can blow this new block apart or not? It would be nice to be able to make nether buildings out of more than just cobblestone...

TheNiX said:
I absolutely love this pack. Just wish he had a skin for creepers. They look so bland in comparison to the rest of the mobs.
There absolutely is a skin for creepers. They have a yellow belly, little claws on their... hoofs (?), cleaned up face, everything.

Blizzard said:
That looks awesome. I'm tempted to try it, but how bad is the performance hit?
I use the 256x version (the more HD version) and it's absolutely negligible. I assume, like with texture resolution in most games it's governed by your video card's VRAM and fillrate. I notice when I used the 512x version blocks take a little longer to pop-in in the distance (I use Far view distance). It's my favorite texture pack by far, love it.

gutabo said:
I definitely wouldn't mind a new block mixed in with the Nether. I mean, Netherack brick is cool but some variation in color would be nice, Obsidian would make sense, or more soul-sand maybe.

Zafir

nismogrendel said:
Your airship looks great!
vas_a_morir said:
That is spectacular. You should build it in NeoCraft.
Thanks, I might consider it. Not sure how much free time I'll have now though since my holiday has ended. I guess we'll see hehe.
Bootaaay said:
Haven't found any pack better than the 128x version of Sphax PureBDCraft as of yet, and it's 1.8 compatible;

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...-sphax-purebdcraft-aetherzipline-v081-120911/
Installed that pack and now it's raining through my walls in my ship! How positively odd.

QvjJul.jpg

Zafir said:
Installed that pack and now it's raining through my walls in my ship! How positively odd.

Huh, weird. I've never experienced that before with the Sphax texture pack.

Zafir said:
They don't translate well into big tables though. :(

Eh, they look OK imo if you put multiple tables together;

2011-09-16_152948.png

That's my little 1.8 place incidentally, here's some exterior shots;

2011-09-16_152758.png

2011-09-16_122603.png

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mrklaw said:
how do you do multiple worlds on a multiplayer server? I want to create a new world with 1.8 for all the new features, but also keep my old one for the stuff I've built with my kids. Can I do that and switch between them easily?

anyone?

Zafir

Bootaaay said:
Huh, weird. I've never experienced that before with the Sphax texture pack.

Eh, they look OK imo if you put multiple tables together;

2011-09-16_152948.png
I think it's the gaps that kind of bug me. I'll just stick with the tried and true wood blocks for larger tables for the time being.

As for the rain, it could easily just be a one off bug maybe, I'll see if it happens again.

Just started this 1.8 world the other night, I finally found a seed that I liked the spawn location (or at least near the spawn). Most of the times I would spawn in Swamp or Savannah so spawning in a forest with lakes and mountains was a nice change of pace. I ran around a bit and found a cool little above-ground lava pool. Right next to it was a lake with a little island in the middle and a relatively large mountain across the other side - surrounded by forests with a full assortment of tree types.

I carved out a small cave in the mountain across the lake and went to work terraforming the island for a house as well as collecting enough stone to make it out of the new Stone Brick material. Here are my results so far:

I have to clean up the landscaping (still waiting for the trees to grow to). It's just two floors, ground and basement and I am having a hell of a time finding sheep to make wool for the carpets plus no paintings yet (may just have to farm string). Basement's mostly a furnace workshop at the moment.

Also the caverns and dungeons underneath are absolutely awesome. Besides the typical minecart corridors a HUGE portion of the caverns have been flooded by the lake above it. Looks really cool.

upandaway

Houston3000 said:
I definitely wouldn't mind a new block mixed in with the Nether. I mean, Netherack brick is cool but some variation in color would be nice, Obsidian would make sense, or more soul-sand maybe.
Some harsh ghostly blue would be extremely badass in the Nether. I can always dig a really good blue/red clash.

Drazgul

onken said:
So Ark, given any serious thought to upping the height limit for our new map? Is it even possible easily?

I haven't found anything tangible regarding this despite searching at minecraftforum etc. (of course it doesn't help that the place is full of tweens who can't type properly, but...). The way Notch made it sound earlier, the edit should've been trivial to make in 1.8 and we should've seen a mod to increase the height limit by now. Unless every modder is taking a break until MCP comes out, it might be that it's just one more thing Mojang 'forgot' to implement.

Zafir

The inside rain thing seems to happen when I,or a friend, joins the map during rain. Another odd thing is, it doesn't rain inside everywhere, just the occasional place.

sophora

Went adventuring with two friends, most fun I've had on Minecraft in a while. We explored a canyon and traversed a desert at night, spent a night in an overhang and took on a group of endermen together. We were thinking of trying to find the abandoned mines sometime.

Ark

onken said:
So Ark, given any serious thought to upping the height limit for our new map? Is it even possible easily?

Height limit increase is only possible via mods, so we'll have to see :)

guest1321

Ark said:
Height limit increase is only possible via mods, so we'll have to see :)
Didn't notch come out a while ago and say that the mod for this should be relativity easy and now is only a single variable?

Orlandu84

Blizzard said:
That looks awesome. I'm tempted to try it, but how bad is the performance hit?
One of the good things about Sphax PureBDCraft is that it comes in different sizes: 16x, 32x, 64x, 128x, 256x, and 512x! One of those should run pretty well for you. I run 32x on my MacBook Pro whereas I run 128x on my gaming rig. They both look great:)

Edit: Corrected 518x to 512x to note correct size options.

Kuran

Banned
Seeing that Nether pic, I kinda wish Minecraft had special items like rocket boots or winged boots that grant double jump.. just like Terraria.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I need slimes, badly!

There's only one freakin' slime spawning every hour or so in my bedrock cave, and I desperately need sticky pistons. Any hints on how to easily get slimeballs?

Soon as NeoCraft is up, I'm going to start work on this bad boy:

5A3kX.jpg

Creative mode is providing to be very awesome for planning out stuff and building mockups

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
ArtistDude88 said:

http://i.imgur.com/5A3kX.jpg[/MG]

Creative mode is providing to be very awesome for planning out stuff and building mockups[/QUOTE]

where will you get the clay to make all that brick.

Complex Shadow said:
where will you get the clay to make all that brick.

I pillaged a ton of it from 1.7 NeoCraft. Flying around and looting every spot I saw (thanks for the idea, AnCh!). I was also shearing every sheep I saw while flying around too.

Ranger X

Seriously, the new terrain generation isn't just changing the shapes of things.
I already noticed that:

- There's clay in like every single chore.
- There's more Iron near the surface.
- A bit less coal near the surface (or maybe this was an impression I had because I found much more Iron)

Also, I have some lava that apparently can flow underwater. Might be caused by the reunion of 2 chunks being created in 2 different versions though because so far it always happen where my 1.7(or older) chunks meet with 1.8 chunks.

Ranger X

Complex Shadow said:
i am guessing there still isn't an easy way to get flint. >_> fuck flint so much.

Flint? you mean.... gravel?

EDIT: beaten by an artist. ;) And yes the best way is still to destroy and re-destroy stacks of gravel.

Xun

ArtistDude88 said:

5A3kX.jpg

Creative mode is providing to be very awesome for planning out stuff and building mockups
Reminds me of the one on Timan's server a while back.

Top Bottom