• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Vlad

Ranger X said:
So it was like 2 days of bug fixing for pre-release 6?

Does this means that most bugs aren't fixed and only some major ones? This smell likes an awfully short fixing time.

According to the Development Version History, 1.9p5 was released on October 27th, and 1.9p6 came out on November 11th. Way more than two days.

According to Notch and Jeb's twitters, they went into feature freeze a month ago, and have spent the last month leading up to Minecon in pure bugfix mode.

Sye d'Burns

Vlad said:
According to the Development Version History, 1.9p5 was released on October 27th, and 1.9p6 came out on November 11th. Way more than two days.

According to Notch and Jeb's twitters, they went into feature freeze a month ago, and have spent the last month leading up to Minecon in pure bugfix mode.

I'm sure Ranger X is referring to the two days or so between 1.9.6 and the RC1/RC2.

Vlad

Ranger X said:
I wonder if the game is planned to be released today or after the Minecon...

Supposedly it's going to be during Minecon, as in "Notch is going to upload/activate/whatever Minecraft 1.0 on stage".

Moh9U.jpg

This is what I have been building over the last few weeks.

Walls are done, got a hole made for one of the gates, another gate will be on the lower left somewhere. Have a big pile of stone to remove still, slowly working through that. Also need to figure out how to light the outside of it, it looks crappy at night. Straight walls are 172 long if I remember correctly, not sure how long the diagonals are.

An in-progress shot. I didn't want to fill in this water/pave all these mountains so I built the fake floor above.
XLAHP.jpg

bengraven

Wow, been so busy writing my NaNo novel and playing Skyrim that I forgot about Minecraft. So the official finally release is tonight? So we should see the server updated within a few days?

Dang, had no idea they release pre-6 either.

Edit:

Oh shit, these are the things I've been wanting for over a year!

Changes to the mining time of many minerals, including red stone ore, stone brick, nether brick, iron bars, iron door, mob spawners, and obsidian, making their mining times much faster.

Mined stairs of any materials will drop a stair block now instead of a block form of its material.

Tools not suited to digging a certain block can be faster than digging by hand, e.g. a pickaxe can dig dirt faster than by hand, but not faster than by shovel.

Im_Special

I haven't ply this since 1.7.something, I've had no problems playing minecraft on my desktop (well it could run better for what it is) but for my little brother who plays on a laptop it runs terribly, and the laptop is a beast. My question is I remember there being some talk about fixing performance issues with the game, like rendering the blocks that you only see, has this been done? Will MC 1.0 be a better optimized game compared to the earlier versions?

bengraven said:
Changes to the mining time of many minerals, including red stone ore, stone brick, nether brick, iron bars, iron door, mob spawners, and obsidian, making their mining times much faster.

And there was rejoicing in the streets!

Vlad

Im_Special said:
I haven't ply this since 1.7.something, I've had no problems playing minecraft on my desktop (well it could run better for what it is) but for my little brother who plays on a laptop it runs terribly, and the laptop is a beast. My question is I remember there being some talk about fixing performance issues with the game, like rendering the blocks that you only see, has this been done? Will MC 1.0 be a better optimized game compared to the earlier versions?

From my own experience, the last officially released version of Minecraft (1.8, I believe) ran HORRIBLY. Then, the various prereleases of 1.9 seemed to get worse and worse, which made me think I was done with the game for good. However, the last 1.9 prerelease and the most recent RC really got a lot of the old performance back. the constant stuttering was gone, my framerate was back up to what it used to be, and so on.

The only thing that still doesn't seem to be fixed is the "crashing on 32-bit systems on FAR render distance" thing, which annoys me to no end, but otherwise everything runs a LOT better now.

So, if your brother is having issues on Beta 1.8, the yeah, he should hopefully see a performance boost once 1.0 hits.

Totally forgot about the release! I've been telling myself to wait for months. I know I've said it before but I stopped playing right before the big Halloween update last year so I can't wait to see what's been added.

Articalys

Poor girl doesn't realize that right now no one cares about anything except Notch getting on stage and launching Minecraft.

Or she does and is just suffering through it.

Jasoco

Banned
So who is Minecraft Chick? I've never seen her before. And that is some bright pink hair. She's like Link.

Who is this guy? Stuart Platt? I do not know you. But hey, does that switch on the brick wall behind you work? Does it launch the game? Pull it!

Top Bottom