• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ranger X said:
Man is this thread quiet lately. You guys are waiting for the release I suppose?
Personally I don't have time to play because of the classes I am taking but I shall be back in late december.
I will also join you guys late December.

Ranger X said:
Man is this thread quiet lately. You guys are waiting for the release I suppose?
Personally I don't have time to play because of the classes I am taking but I shall be back in late december.

Yeah, waiting for the release. However, I caved (lol) and started a hardcore game last night, using v 1.9(5) since I figured I'd be dead by the time it gets here. However, I've run into a problem. I am in need of chickens but the animals don't seem to be respawning, which means obtaining feathers for arrows is going to be a bit tricky.

Also, I encountered my first proper bug in the game. There's a small area to the north of my base that causes my game to crash if I go too near it or even look in that direction. I haven't tried circling it yet, gonna try that later. Luckily I was able to reload and get away from it by not looking at that area, because otherwise that save would have been fucked. The problem is, there's a 3-high stick of sugar cane there, and I'm now obsessed with mining it lol.

I'm treating the bug as an added feature to my hardcore world. Might as well RPG all the way, seeing as though it seems to be the direction the game is headed anyway.

Ark

Ranger X said:

The server is pretty much dead with a couple of people frequently using it. I'm hoping things will pick up when 1.9 is released (at which point I'll finally convert the plugins), I myself haven't had much time to play due to education and other games and commitments (Skyrim ho!) although when my classes end in June next year, I'll be taking a gap year so I'll a lot more time than I do now (provided the server is still running then! :eek:).

Xun

Ark said:
The server is pretty much dead with a couple of people frequently using it. I'm hoping things will pick up when 1.9 is released (at which point I'll finally convert the plugins), I myself haven't had much time to play due to education and other games and commitments (Skyrim ho!) although when my classes end in June next year, I'll be taking a gap year so I'll a lot more time than I do now (provided the server is still running then! :eek:).
Wish I took a gap year... :(

Wow, went to use the clouds to orient myself as I usually do, but found myself going the wrong way because the clouds now move west instead of north. Wonder why that was changed?

Grinchy

Banned
Ranger X said:
School, work and Dark Souls are my excuses. And TF2 on the side. I still check this thread a lot though.

DrForester said:
Any websites that will give you blueprints for big circles. Like, 32 radius circles....
Here's one I've used a few times now:
VKSOb.png

bengraven

Ranger X said:

Playing 1.9.5.
NaNoWriMo.
Skyrim hype.

Ranger X

Ark said:

I hope it too that it will take off again.
If there's people and that I come back, I am planning on donating again.

DrForester said:
Any websites that will give you blueprints for big circles. Like, 32 radius circles....

I use MS Paint for my circles. Shift click with the circle tool and bam. Spheres, however, are a horse of a different color.

Now for an exciting announcement, do you recognise this situation :-

Little Timmy : "mam it's raining on Neocraft again, do I have to go and work in the quarry ?"
Mother : "shut up you little ingrate or you will end up in the dungeon with Eric the enderman"

Later that night

Mother : "oh Gerald what are we to do ? My hair gets totally drenched when I go out"
Gerald : "shut up woman and make me a sandwich".

Did you know that since the great Apocalypse of our 1.7.3 world rain levels have increased by 6,000,000 % (totally made up statistic). A prominent scientist was not quoted as saying :-

Really big head said:
if rain levels keep up like this we will all be wearing Wellington boots by Christmas

Well have no fear the solution is here, I present to you :-

Hjgia.jpg

Yes Dome City is here and waiting for all willing residents that want to live in the world of tomorrow, today with yesterdays materials. These four sealed bubbles of protection offer you and your family a new level of complete dryness.

Become a resident of Dome City and enjoy the following benefits :-

TnwGD.jpg

Shop till you drop with three ... YES THREE shops. A fully stocked Grocers, a partially stocked (haven't got round to it yet) Butchers and a completely barren and empty General store.

bmM5d.jpg

Just because you are 100metres in the air doesn't mean you can't enjoy nature. Sit for hours by the artificially created water falls thinking such things as "why am I sitting here for hours watching this thing".

Cpffn.jpg

A huge community mine, 6 levels and it goes all the way to the bedrock so you might even find a diamond or two. It may just happen you never know.

N2AVL.jpg

EQWbx.jpg

SMjgW.jpg

Enjoy the safety and protection of the glass domes. These are guaranteed not to break unless you sneeze on them. Be thankful that Notch never introduced physics into the game. If he had these things would collapse in seconds under their own weight.

So become a resident today, head off to the living area dome and pick up a signpost and claim your plot. Remember there are no building restrictions whatsoever (please see restrictions).

Aerial view of the plots :-

TrNz1.jpg

Hey even Commander Jane Shepard approves :-

E0A0W.jpg

Later that month

Mother : "oh Gerald life under the domes is wonderful, too bad little Timmy got sacrificed to the creepers"
Gerald : "shut up woman and make me a sandwich"

So why not pay us a visit today. Who knows you may like what you see and stay. If you don't like what you see then even better it means I can stop building the things and get on with something more meaningful like playing the Anno 2070 demo that I really want to play but for some reason I cannot put this bloody minecraft down for a second.

Remember It isn't a home unless it's under a dome.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ranger X said:

Well I've been out of power for the past week, but I got it back this morning. I hope to be playing much this week to get some things done before Skyrim on Friday.

Because after that, I'll be a tad busy for awhile....

Treefingers said:
Hardcore mode is making me love this game.

Same here. Wish I could find some chickens though, because I have zero ammo for my bow. Exploring caverns with just my sword and a few buckets of lava for weapons is proving to me immensely enjoyable though.

Blizzard

Banned
Congrats to Notch. I know he might still change, but one of the best things about him is that despite his flaws, he really doesn't seem to have become a jerk, or too full of himself, despite becoming a multimillionaire on one little indie game. :)

I should try hardcore mode one of these days, though it sounds terrifying (even though I played Nethack a lot). My fear is that I'd get too attached to a world. I suspect I would build relatively minimally so I don't lose a lot if I die.

Hardcore will only be worth it if they add more Game-y content. Cool items you can find in chests, more in-depth equipment system. Experience that leads to actual character progression, rather than just being resources for random enchantments.

Adventure update, and stuff since, has been pretty rad, but hardcore mode is still b-buhhh. But hey that's just me. Clearly some people love it, for whatever reason.

Update on my Fantasy style castle town. (I've named it Heaven's Reach)

The main Castle is almost complete. Still needs a little work.

L6SmS.png

The Harbor is coming along.

M8ALi.png

Graveyard right next to the church.

B9Hcl.png

Windmill and Barn.

IT76x.png

Underground Tomb/Grotto area.

TDX3P.png

FBiv0.png

Rokam

And here I was impressed by my 20x20 house. Need to hire one of you to design the inside of my house because right now it's just emptiness.

Mengy

So, Skyrim comes out this Friday night, and originally Notch said that Minecraft Release version would happen before Skyrim launched because he wanted to take a break and play it like the rest of us. So...has there been any word on when the release version is going live?

Although I am rabid for Skyrim like a cookie monster in a vault full of cookies, I plan on still playing Minecraft regularly too. Just, not as regularly...

Articalys

Mengy said:
So, Skyrim comes out this Friday night, and originally Notch said that Minecraft Release version would happen before Skyrim launched because he wanted to take a break and play it like the rest of us. So...has there been any word on when the release version is going live?

Although I am rabid for Skyrim like a cookie monster in a vault full of cookies, I plan on still playing Minecraft regularly too. Just, not as regularly...
Notch backed off from the earlier release date a while ago, and according to the MineCon site:
MineCon Schedule of Events

Friday, November 18th

10 a.m. Game Room and Exhibit Hall Open
1 - 3 p.m. Keynote Address and Minecraft Launch with Notch
4 - 6:30 p.m. Breakout classes on your favorite Minecraft subjects
7 - 10 p.m. Miners' Party
11pm - 2 a.m. Diamond Party (Over 21)
So, sometime in that 1-3pm PST / 4-6pm EST timeframe, I guess.

CoolS

Guy quick question. Just build a new rig and loked at my minecraft FPS. They average between 70 and 80.
My system is:

i5 -2500k@stock
GTX560Ti
8GB DDR3 ram

Ist it just me or does that seem kinda "low". I thought I would be going into the triples. Complaining on a high level I know, but I am just curious.

Prelithe

CoolS said:
Guy quick question. Just build a new rig and loked at my minecraft FPS. They average between 70 and 80.
My system is:

i5 -2500k@stock
GTX560Ti
8GB DDR3 ram

Ist it just me or does that seem kinda "low". I thought I would be going into the triples. Complaining on a high level I know, but I am just curious.

Weird. I have the exact same setup, and I get 200fps+ :|. Granted, my map has pretty much nothing going on, but that was what I got (similarly the same fps inside in a cave). Check your video settings to see whats up.

Mine is:

Graphics: Fancy
Render Distance: Far
Smooth Lighting: On
Performance: Max FPS
Advanced OpenGL: On

CoolS

Prelithe said:
Weird. I have the exact same setup, and I get 200fps+ :|. Granted, my map has pretty much nothing going on, but that was what I got (similarly the same fps inside in a cave). Check your video settings to see whats up.

Mine is:

I think I probably used balanced for performance, will check that out in a bit and report back.
I was just worried because Minecraft was the first game I tried on my new machine while Steam downloads some other games. So 80 fps had me scared a little bit for the other stuff ^^

Mengy

CoolS said:
My system is:

i5 -2500k@stock
GTX560Ti
8GB DDR3 ram

Do you have Java 64 bit installed? That makes a difference too.

CoolS

Mengy said:
Do you have Java 64 bit installed? That makes a difference too.
Prelithe said:

Mine is:

Both of these things helped me a lot. For some reason I thought Max FPS would make the game look worse :D

Getting 200+fps now most of the time now as well. Now if only Crysis would finish loading ^^

N-Bomb

What do you guys need 200fps for? Can your monitor even refresh that fast? :\

The human eye can't even perceive much above 12 individual images per second. 4 times that is probably safe from jerky motion.

I'd rather go with quality if I'm hitting that on max fps. Max fps to me is if your hardware is deficient.

Blizzard

Banned
N-Bomb said:

The human eye can't even perceive much above 12 individual images per second. 4 times that is probably safe from jerky motion.

I'd rather go with quality if I'm hitting that on max fps. Max fps to me is if your hardware is deficient.
I would be happy if Minecraft stayed 40-60 fps. Last time I tried playing with fancy lighting was a while back though. Maybe it's better now?

And I think some people might dispute the 12 images per second thing. 12 frames per second vs 40+ fps is a huge difference in latency and smoothness, I claim. Moreover, though I may be blind to 60 fps vs 30 fps, if the framerate changes or is at all jerky, it can be pretty obnoxious. (going over your monitor refresh rate probably isn't needed outside of twitch shooters though)

CoolS

N-Bomb said:

I actually don't need it, it was more of an ego thing for me. Plus I was worried that there might be something wrong with my newly put together system.

Concerning the fps thing in general: everything starting with 30 is fine in general. 60 is nice, but I take a good looking 30 over 60fps with less detail.

spuit*11

Banned
I use balanced performance because it gives me 60+ frames per second as well as not taking too much out of my videocard which keep the fan-noise way down.

Vlad

Blizzard said:
I would be happy if Minecraft stayed 40-60 fps. Last time I tried playing with fancy lighting was a while back though. Maybe it's better now?

If by "fancy lighting" you mean the colored lighting and new engine they brought out after PAX, then yeah, the performance has gotten WAY better.

The problem is that it only improved in the most recent prerelease (1.9 Prerelease 5). Before that it was actually getting (for me, at least) worse and worse with each version. Still, 1.9p5 is back to how good it used to be.

Top Bottom