• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Rapstah

Not a bug, some of the water is in the desert biome, some is in the swamp biome. The swamp biome has that greenish water, it's intentional.

The grass being completely gray, like all non-plain biomes were for half a patch before it was quickly fixed, is most definitely a bug though.

Xun

The grass being completely gray, like all non-plain biomes were for half a patch before it was quickly fixed, is most definitely a bug though.
Yeah seriously.

This is not normal:

8leGT.png

That's what the ends of two biomes now look like.

Krovan

Neo Member
The grass is always greener on the other side of the patch.

But forget how green the grass is; on the 1.0 side of the patch there's a lot of other great stuff. Are we really going to let some minor biome grass color stuff keep us from the promised land?

Atomski

Yeah does seem like such a minor thing to hold out on an update. This is the first Ive heard someone complain about it. I doubt its on their priority list of fixes.

Vlad

That island actually sounds kind of cool. Do you know what seed your world uses?

Yeah, it was a random seed... Looks like it's 1783523704397616373

And I slightly misremembered it. It's actually two tiny islands right next to each other, but then nothing but water as far as the eye can see.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Has anyone found patch/release notes?

Been venturing around and found my first village.

Although, I'm not too crazy about the AI. This villager picked probably the worst spot ever to build his house.

is that a ravine? interesting that the structure would stretch all the way down to it like that.

The hole itself is smaller than any ravine I've seen. I'm wondering if there was a ravine there at one point, then the village got placed on top.

I haven't been brave enough to go down there and explore it as of yet. Still getting situated in my world.

Tobor

I'm trying to update to 1.0.0 and getting a "Can't connect to Minecraft.net" error. What do I need to do?

EDIT: NM, I figured it out. Downloaded the launcher again.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Been venturing around and found my first village.

Although, I'm not too crazy about the AI. This villager picked probably the worst spot ever to build his house.

I've stumbled across two villages so far. Both are in terrible, terrible positions. Case in point:

UFzGdl.jpg

(I kinda cheated later, loaded up the map in Cartographer... apparently I was almost at a village a long ways back, but I turned around and went back to spawn....)

sophora

Liking 1.0 so far. Haven't been able to play of the pre-releases so all this new content is quite a shock. Found a couple houses, working on my stronghold and mines at the moment; nothing too impressive. Once I get enough cobblestone I'll get started on my farm. I should probably go look for a better texture pack too.

Ranger X

Liking 1.0 so far. Haven't been able to play of the pre-releases so all this new content is quite a shock. Found a couple houses, working on my stronghold and mines at the moment; nothing too impressive. Once I get enough cobblestone I'll get started on my farm. I should probably go look for a better texture pack too.

It's been incredibly interesting for me too to pass from 1.8 to the release version.
It's like I am all excited for Minecraft again! :)

Ranger X

Making a defensive moat with a sign floor so monsters fall into lava pit around my harvester. It will be the safest place in Neocraft! :p

Make it even more useful. Make them fall into water and bring them to a drowning tube. Not only you will protect your fields but you will also collect something.

Ranger X

That's how it was at the beginning, but it was too much work/planning (harvester is curved). I'll make a true spawner at my harvester sometime.

I also wonder if there's an effective way to make a mob grinder now with Endermen. They actually broke my old one, they really fuck shit up. I'm thinking of a piston system that would let water "wash away" ennemies from the spawning floors periodically. It's the "periodically" part I'm not figuring out right now...

Segnit

Banned
Hardcore mode has completely brought me back into Minecraft. I feel like I am playing for the first time again!

Hardcore mode is awesome. Everything matters now including proper planning for agriculture, animal farming, attention to adequate lighting, double layer defense walls, gear, allies (wolves).

I will find it so hard to get back to SMP on Neocraft and re-adjust to a very low risk environment.

Still, this game is only half as good as it can be in a year or two, but it's almost a proper game now. I am loving it.

Ranger X

if someone thought about this...

I also wonder if there's an effective way to make a mob grinder now with Endermen. They actually broke my old one, they really fuck shit up. I'm thinking of a piston system that would let water "wash away" ennemies from the spawning floors periodically. It's the "periodically" part I'm not figuring out right now...

if someone thought about this...

I can think of one way to do that, but you'd need theCraftBook plugin. With that you can set up a light sensor to trigger the pistons at day time and a night sensor to trigger at night... Could probably do that with a NOR Latch and maybe an AND gate... I'd have to tinker :D

Or you could make the grinder out of a block Endermen can't pickup

rezuth

Yeah I was wondering if he means Yogscast, shame if so.

Edit: Yup apparently it's Yogscast. Poor form imo to discuss this stuff out in the open instead of keeping it private.

What for? They said "fuck" on stage? Won't somebody please think of the children!

If that really is the issue I don't get why he gets a pass for doing his stupid masturbation jokes all the time.

What for? They said "fuck" on stage? Won't somebody please think of the children!

If that really is the issue I don't get why he gets a pass for doing his stupid masturbation jokes all the time.
Yeah I dunno, plus I'm sure I remember hearing jeb swearing during the Cobalt panel. Of course it might be because of something other than their panel, but either way to confront them on Twitter is pretty low.

rezuth

Yeah I dunno, plus I'm sure I remember hearing jeb swearing during the Cobalt panel. Of course it might be because of something other than their panel, but either way to confront them on Twitter is pretty low.

Just further cements my opinion about him. Have the Yogscast responded yet?

Blizzard

Banned

Wait, when did he do a joke like that aside from that one blog post? Apparently I've been missing out. D:

My guess is someone complained about their use of fuck etc at the Yogscast pannel afterwood? I wouldn't be suprised if this was Mojang covering their ass because Simon dropped the f-bomb a few times in front of a bunch of twelve year olds.

To be honest, we don't know the full context but if it's as people are thinking (the language at the pannel) then the blame falls squarely with Mojang/Notch imo. The Yogscast crew swear casually in almost all their videos so I don't know why they'd expect any different at the con.

mr_chun

I'm sure tons of kids watch Yogscast, and they're always profanity-riddled. Surely he knew what he was getting into by having them there.

Just further cements my opinion about him. Have the Yogscast responded yet?
Reddit says this post originally said:
I find the words 'work with' to be very interesting in this - you will see why when Lewis gets home and makes his v-log of Minecon.
He used masturbation jokes in our videos, but then criticises us for using old footage with swearing in, when we have limited resources to edit the footage in Vegas, and also neither Mojang nor IGN gave us any guidelines as to what we were and weren't allowed to do - the people in the panel and on the livestream chose to come and see us - so you'd think they'd know swearing is likely.
We did about six hours of signings and photos in general - no kid or parent complained to us about swearing.
I won't say more as Lewis' v-log will expose everything in wonderfully high definitioned rage, so give us a few days to get our thoughts in order.

Anyways on the topic of Minecraft, I found a really nice-looking texture pack, SummerFields.

Wait, when did he do a joke like that aside from that one blog post? Apparently I've been missing out. D:
Watch the "Notch interviews Yogscast" thing on their channel. Casual banter from Notch includes fapping habbits and newly found desire to fuck Simon's mum. Yeah, so all this latent prudishness from Notch is a tad left field in the grand scheme of things.

bengraven

He sounds very un-assholish on Twitter. I'm sure the SA community is going nuts with this now, though, since the Yoggers are their people.

rezuth

I wonder how many account sales Yogs is responsible for. One of my friends at work bought the game after watching their series.
I have used so many of their videos to sell this game to people around me. Not to mention their constant coverage of mods have kept my interest in this game.

I hope that the vlog explains stuff better.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man, I haven't played Minecraft for a few weeks now, not since that huge snow storm in the NE of the USA left me without power for over a week. Since then I've done some house repairs, chainsawed up a lot of downed branches and trees, built a new modern PC, and the only game I've spent any time with is Skyrim.

But I miss the creative outlet that Minecraft gives me. I've been thinking about my ziggurat on Neocraft and how I still have a lot to do to it. I've been dreaming about this underground Ironforge-like base I want to build. I've been thinking a lot about starting over in a brand new SSP world for 1.0 and starting from scratch and building huge projects in far away lands and linking them all with roads and railways and underground tunnels.

I've got a four day holiday for Thanksgiving, and although Skyrim has me hooked and addicted, I'm going to put my Dragonborn on hold while I spend some time with Minecraft 1.0. This is the longest time since I bought Minecraft over a year ago that I've gone without playing it in some fashion, and I think I'm going through withdrawals.

A few questions for those of you who have played 1.0 some:

- how are the new sounds?
- do baby sheep inherit the color of the parent?
- it sounds like endermen are sufficiently less griefy, correct?
- is enchanting and alchemy fun?
- anyone been to the ender zone yet?
- are the sun and moon round or still square?

I'm gonna have to schedule Skyrim days and Minecraft days, LOL!

Shit is going down on Twitter!

notch said:
Wow. Hate, insults and threats are flooding in from Yogscast fans. I'll stop biting my tongue now.

notch said:
Yogscast repeatedly insulted people, talked behind their backs, refused to cooperate, and acted like total spoiled divas nonstop.

notch said:
They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", demanded that we pay them to come here (nobody else got paid).

notch said:
A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead.

notch said:
Everyone else in the Minecraft community is all about respecting and caring. They're not. They're an isolated island of egos.

- how are the new sounds?
I haven't heard the new sounds myself (play the game muted). However a few others have commented that they don't like the new sounds. So I don't think anyone can say whether they are good or bad. It depends on your tastes I guess.

- do baby sheep inherit the color of the parent?
Not 100% sure about 1.0 but the previous release did have sheep inheriting the parents colour.

- it sounds like endermen are sufficiently less griefy, correct?
Yes the endermen are limited to picking up only a few block types now such as dirt, gravel and sand. However they are much harder to kill now (at least 4 hits with a diamond sword).

- is enchanting and alchemy fun?
not really done any and it isn't really my cup of tea. It is just crafting really via another set of rules so if you enjoy crafting tools you will enjoy potions.

- anyone been to the ender zone yet?
Nope and probably never will considering I haven't even been to the Netherworld ever.

- are the sun and moon round or still square?
Yes the sun and moon are back to being square again.

As for these Yog guys, never heard of them, never seen a single one of their podcasts. However if what Notch is tweeting is true then I am pretty happy to remain ignorant of these Yog guys.

Omikaru

notch said:
A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead.
Oh dear. There are two sides to every story, and I'll wait for Yogscast's version of events, but blimey. Demanding payment alone is a douche move, in my view. Considering I and many other people only know of Yogscast because of Minecraft, I think it's pretty shitty for them to demand money for showing up. And then to act like notch claims they did?

:/

Top Bottom