• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm glad Notch is coming out with all that stuff. The Yogscast guys always sounded like a bunch of pricks.

And, honestly, Notch is the best person in the world. He wouldn't lie publically about something like this. I really don't think their side of the story will improve their situation.

Notch should never really have gone public with it IMO. In fact he shouldn't have tweeted anything about "who not to work with", that was always gonna raise eyebrows.

Will watch the Vlog for sure.

Yea, no good will come of this on either end.

I think it's quite bizarre really. I'm a huge minecraft fan, in fact I think this is my first time to post in this thread and I'm also a huge Yogscast fan.

From watching their vids I simply cannot believe that they've done some of the things that is being claimed and it would appear IMO that Notch was eager to get out of the blocks first. As I said above there was no need for any of this to be mentioned and agree that I think both sides are going to come out badly regardless :(

Vlad

A few questions for those of you who have played 1.0 some:

- how are the new sounds?

I'm finding them mostly good, so far. It's nice to have an eating sound, there's a different sound for taking poison damage than there is for regular damage, which is EXTREMELY useful when fighting cave spiders, and the endermen have their own distinct sound. There's a few I haven't heard yet, like the minecart sounds and anything related to the Nether.

The only one I'm not liking so far is the new creeper explosion sound. I don't know if the TNT sound has been similarly changed, but when creepers explode now, they just kind of go "paf". There's no sense of power to the sound of the explosion, which is misleading, as all the monsters do more damage now.

- it sounds like endermen are sufficiently less griefy, correct?

They supposedly only take certain blocks now, although I hardly ever see them anyway, so I can't say for sure. Once thing that I can tell is going to be tricky is harvesting enough Ender Pearls to find the stronghold and activate its portal. Not only are Endermen rare as hell, but they have the annoying habit of disappearing as soon as you get near them.

- is enchanting and alchemy fun?
Haven't found any blazes yet to be able to check out alchemy, but I did finally get to enchant something finally. Gave my diamond sword a knockback characteristic, which tosses enemies away when you hit them (similar to when you hit them while sprinting... hmm.. I wonder if those effects stack for a super-knockback..). I can see both systems being pretty fun, though.

- are the sun and moon round or still square?

They're back to square, although the moon does have phases (full, half, etc).

Xun

I'm not completely buying Notch's side of the story.

I really can't imagine them being like that, but maybe they are. :/

fresquito

I believe Notch 100% Why should he lie? All he's ever done is coming as a very open and trusty fellow. I don't give a fuck about those Yogcast (or whatever) I've never heard of them and I don't care about them.

And I don't see why Notch should have remained silent about it either. Why he's not allowed to vent it? Just because he's famous and millionary?

I believe Notch 100% Why should he lie? All he's ever done is coming as a very open and trusty fellow. I don't give a fuck about those Yogcast (or whatever) I've never heard of them and I don't care about them.

And I don't see why Notch should have remained silent about it either. Why he's not allowed to vent it? Just because he's famous and millionary?
Because it's completely unprofessional and only invites the community to splinter and argue with each other and throw around hate. In the end chances are a large part of this was just misunderstandings. Attacking them like this, especially when they haven't even had a chance to respond, just makes him kind of look like a dick. Like nismogrendel said in the end it can only end up making both sides look bad.

It strikes me as odd that the Yogscast guys would act like that. The "nerd" comment, sure, but only in jest (assuming they made the statement unprovoked). Pretty sure they know they're nerds, too. U:

I've only ever really listened to their podcasts and watched a few Minecraft videos, but they don't seem like those kind of people.

But Notch also comes off as a really nice guy so yyyyep.

railGUN

Banned
I have a premium account, but haven't logged on since the 1.0.0 release - I figured I'd log in and update to it, but I can't connect to minecraft.net through the game. I can log into the website fine - and if I play offline, it says I'm using beta 1.7.3. I've never had issues playing / updating before today, any ideas?

nevermind - working now.

I don't get Notch's original anger at Yogscast, swearing in front of kids...I'm going to assume Notch and his people and IGN knew what yogscast was before hand. Then airing it out over twitter? Then more comments once he gets comments back from yogscast fans? What was the expectation exactly?

Ark

I don't get Notch's original anger at Yogscast, swearing in front of kids...I'm going to assume Notch and his people and IGN knew what yogscast was before hand. Then airing it out over twitter? Then more comments once he gets comments back from yogscast fans? What was the expectation exactly?

That they would act far more professional at a Minecraft convention. I think people are focusing too much on this f-bomb nonsense, I think the real issue Notch has with the Yogscast is that they were acting like self-entitled tools. Presumably, anyway.

That they would act far more professional at a Minecraft convention. I think people are focusing too much on this f-bomb nonsense, I think the real issue Notch has with the Yogscast is that they were acting like self-entitled tools. Presumably, anyway.

Why would you expect them to change their 'act', it's the reason they are there in the first place. Speaking of acting professionally, how about not talking about it over twitter?

Jasoco

Banned
Why would you expect them to change their 'act', it's the reason they are there in the first place. Speaking of acting professionally, how about not talking about it over twitter?

Reddit forced his hand. He simply mentioned there was a certain people they weren't going to work with anymore. Reddit figured out who it was and demanded he take it back. So he had to explain exactly why he would never work with them anymore. The secret had to come out.

But really, he shouldn't have alluded to it in the first place, but people make mistakes. Once Reddit started sending death threats, he had no other choice than to put it all on the table.

I look forward to hearing Lewis and Simon's side of this.

I'm still trying to figure out if I can change this biome. I did some googling and didn't find anything helpful.

Turned a lot of water in one of my harbors to ice, constant snow on 1/4 this part of town.

I've put in a ton of hours on this map, I'd rather not start over.

g64dY.jpg

Any ideas or am I screwed?

I'm still trying to figure out if I can change this biome. I did some googling and didn't find anything helpful.

Turned a lot of water in one of my harbors to ice, constant snow on 1/4 this part of town.

I've put in a ton of hours on this map, I'd rather not start over.

g64dY.jpg

Any ideas or am I screwed?

Whenever I work on a massive project, I always find someone else who has done it 5 times as big and 10 times as awesome. That is amazing. I've been working on a huge walled city recently, and I've only gotten the wall almost done and the flattening of the land almost done, but yours looks far bigger.

Ithil

For some reason, on the server map I play, the areas where it used to snow (and it's a tundra biome) is now only getting hit by rain.

Is this normal? I miss everything getting covered by snow.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hm, reinstalled Windows this weekend. Re-download Minecraft.exe, got the latest version of Java, and Minecraft consistently hangs on the update screen, consuming memory until I'm forced to quit it.

gutabo

Hi guys, I'm addicted to minecraft again!

I have a question tho, maybe someone can help me... I've done a piston powered mix of jeb's hidden door(but on the floor, kinda LIKE THIS ONE but bigger) and somethig similar to this piston stairs HERE. Thing is, they work but I have two different levers(one for each mechanism). So right now if the door's closed stairs can't come out but if the door is opened they leave the room needed to have the stairs there. Yes, they share the same space so in order to be toggled with only one lever they must work with a sequence: if the lever is activated the door must open AND THEN the stairs must come out, and if the lever is toggled again the stairs have to hide first and ONLY THEN after they have left room for the "door" it should close. I have no idea how to do this. I've been trying this thing HERE but I'm not getting it done. Help please?

Vlad

Hi guys, I'm addicted to minecraft again!

I have a question tho, maybe someone can help me... I've done a piston powered mix of jeb's hidden door(but on the floor, kinda LIKE THIS ONE but bigger) and somethig similar to this piston stairs HERE. Thing is, they work but I have two different levers(one for each mechanism). So right now if the door's closed stairs can't come out but if the door is opened they leave the room needed to have the stairs there. Yes, they share the same space so in order to be toggled with only one lever they must work with a sequence: if the lever is activated the door must open AND THEN the stairs must come out, and if the lever is toggled again the stairs have to hide first and ONLY THEN after they have left room for the "door" it should close. I have no idea how to do this. I've been trying this thing HERE but I'm not getting it done. Help please?

If I'm reading that right, it's a pretty straightforward solution. Basically, you've got two things you want to happen in a certain order when the door opens, but when you close the door, the two things need to happen in reverse order, correct?

If so, take a look at this:
WwOaa.png

The key to it all is the little cluster of three repeaters on the right. What those do is make it so that there's a 1 tick delay before the ON signal is sent on, but a 5 tick delay before it's turned back off.

Here's what happens when I flip the lever on the right:

1) The lever activates the redstone leading to all the repeaters.
2) The lone 1-tick repeater activates, turning off the torch and retracting the piston connected to the wood block.
3) The 3-tick repeater activates, extending the piston connected to the stone block.
4) The 5-tick repeater line activates, but no change happens because the output is already on because of the 1-tick repeater from step 2.

Now, when I flip the lever again:

1) The redstone leading to the repeaters turns off.
2) The 1-tick repeater turns off, but the redstone output stays on, because the 5-tick repeater line is still on.
3) The 3-tick repeater turns off, retracting the piston connected to the stone block.
4) The 5-tick repeater line turns off, turning the torch back on and extending the piston, pushing the wood block back into the initial position.

Is that what you were trying to do?

Atomski

Anyone know a good like mini map mode? where you can place markers. I keep getting lost as hell lately.

Edit: nm think i found one.

Anyone know a good like mini map mode? where you can place markers. I keep getting lost as hell lately.

Thought I would post this info it might be a better mini map for you. The mod is called Rei's minimap :-

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/482147-100b181b19pre5nov21-reis-minimap-v28/

Pretty decent too, it allows you to do waypoints and even leaves an X on the map where you die so you can quickly go back and get your stuff. The latest version allows you to see the locations of mobs, other players and caves (in SP the options are available, in MP the admin has to alter the MOTD to allow these things).

Ranger X

You should transform this situation into fun. I personally leave trace everywhere I got. I am NEVER lost and it's fun (well, to me). Multiple way to do that, towers, just a torch on top of 2-3 blocks of something, etc

gutabo

If I'm reading that right, it's a pretty straightforward solution. Basically, you've got two things you want to happen in a certain order when the door opens, but when you close the door, the two things need to happen in reverse order, correct?

WwOaa.png

The key to it all is the little cluster of three repeaters on the right. What those do is make it so that there's a 1 tick delay before the ON signal is sent on, but a 5 tick delay before it's turned back off.

2) The lone 1-tick repeater activates, turning off the torch and retracting the piston connected to the wood block.
3) The 3-tick repeater activates, extending the piston connected to the stone block.
4) The 5-tick repeater line activates, but no change happens because the output is already on because of the 1-tick repeater from step 2.

2) The 1-tick repeater turns off, but the redstone output stays on, because the 5-tick repeater line is still on.
3) The 3-tick repeater turns off, retracting the piston connected to the stone block.
4) The 5-tick repeater line turns off, turning the torch back on and extending the piston, pushing the wood block back into the initial position.

HOLY CRAP!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I had to add more repeaters but that did it! :D

without reading.
heres what i found on youtube.
part 1
part 2
part 3
The stuff I made to get the first step of the stairs up is surprinsingly similar to the one on those videos! :D Feels good bro! (of course my redstone skills are nowhere near as clean or economic as those vids)

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
HOLY CRAP!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I had to add more repeaters but that did it! :D

The stuff I made to get the first step of the stairs up is surprinsingly similar to the one on those videos! :D Feels good bro! (of course my redstone skills are nowhere near as clean or economic as those vids)

same for me. some people are scary organized with their redstone.

Vlad

same for me. some people are scary organized with their redstone.

Thing is, if you're making anything of any reasonable complexity, you have to be pretty organized with it. I tend to be pretty sloppy myself, and debugging gets to be a HUGE pain when you get to that point where you're looking at part of your setup and wondering "wait, what does that do again?".

For some reason my redstone doesn't act properly. I'm hosting the server myself, but when playing online I notice glitches like redstone torches not shutting off when giving them power and stuff. Maybe I'm just a redstone noob. :(

Vlad

For some reason my redstone doesn't act properly. I'm hosting the server myself, but when playing online I notice glitches like redstone torches not shutting off when giving them power and stuff. Maybe I'm just a redstone noob. :(

Can you post a picture of one of the torches receiving power?

We had this on the previous Neocraft map. If I recall correctly it is caused by a corruption of the seed number.

If you have an old save you can take the seed from that save and copy paste it in your current one.

Relevant link: http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/22890/minecraft-biome-modification-smp/25980#25980

Thank you so much for this post, I didn't see it until this morning. I got my fort all fixed now, rain covers the entire thing!

Whenever I work on a massive project, I always find someone else who has done it 5 times as big and 10 times as awesome. That is amazing. I've been working on a huge walled city recently, and I've only gotten the wall almost done and the flattening of the land almost done, but yours looks far bigger.

Hey thanks for the compliments :) I didn't want to flatten all the moutains that were in the area so I just built the wall and then added a false floor. Only have about 30 or so blocks of height to build the town but I think it will work.

bengraven

This happened to me.

I was on server (not a GAF one) where they were building Rome at spawn. Most of the buildings were vaguely Romanesque and we felt some things were missing, so I decided to make a massive Parthenon. So I made a decent sized one, probably 50x75 blocks.

On the last day of building, I looked up at the ridge above me. Our resident Uber Artist had apparently also decided to make one, but seeing that I was in the middle of making one, he decided he was still going to finish his. In fact, in good-natured competitiveness he built it on the hill above mine.

His was to scale. Mine was the size of four of his pillars put together. And he had every pillar.

I played bitter with him a long time.

http://i.imgur.com/WwOaa.png

This is genius, I've also been looking for a way to do this. Thank you!

I've been building my stuff on peaceful, have never really bothered with monsters. Today I made some weapons and armor and turned on enemies. Exploring this cave system I found is so much better this way.

Ranger X

There's something I am worrying about in Minecraft.

It seems the cave generation really changed a freaking lot. Right now, it's almost impossible to not fall into a Mineshaft. Problem is that they are very samey. I love spelunking (90% of my Minecraft time really) and I fear it will become boring pretty fast. There's 2 things that always seems to happen: You fall into a Mineshaft and then a canyon.

Before, they was only caves and the only thing that was samey was the dungeons -- and they were rare anyways. This was really nice because I was always feeling like I am in a completely new cave everytime. Now? not so much. Always the same alleys, all square (Mineshaft) and then a canyon, rinse, repeat. If I become tired of spelunking, it might make me stop playing Minecraft --- but it was so much fun, I don't want the feeling to end, ever. :(

Tweet notch a comment about wishing mineshafts were slightly less common? I dunno, maybe there's a mod for that. I guess i could dust off my rusting coder skills and see if I can mod that myself, shouldn't be too hard to just tweak the frequency. Maybe it'd even teach me enough to add content to the game.

I just started playing survival single player again after months without touching the game and in my eagerness to exhume the clay from a pond in the forest which I have name "The Freaking Forest" I spent a night inside a tiny dirtcube in the woods, ahaha. Shit's scary, just waiting for the sounds of zombies to turn into the sounds of deadly burning, but i heard it happen so now it's back to my base in what I have dubbed Slaughter Swamp.

Edit:

Oh my god clay everywhere! Is it more common now or am I just lucky? Gosh, biomes make exploration so much cooler.

Top Bottom