• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Then i guess it's a combination of the two, as i just found 5 stacks of it in the forest after getting lost. Stupid laptop keeping me playing on short view distance.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, this is really annoying me. Minecraft does not run. I get to the login screen, hit enter, see the brief loading bar, and then it just hangs.

I have one problem left to fix with my map to make it 1.0 perfect. The old water level is 1 higher than the new level.

I was playing in mcedit, I couldn't find a way to select all chunks and then lower them all by one block height. Is this possible? There are five bedrock layers so if I could just chop the bottom one off an squish the map down that would be perfect.

*edit* Got it. Had to select the chunks I wanted to lower, prune the ones around it. Then I used the nudge feature of mcedit.

Ark

Nothing from Multiplay yet about Bukkit recommended build I'm afraid :(

I'm just as eager as you are to get the server upgraded, and I still don't have the time to play.

macewank

im watching this review.. i feel like this guy should be offering me a quest in Skyrim to steal something.. or trying to sell me skooma.

edit: wait a minute. are they trolling the 360 version here? seriously?

edit2: at the end he says "they build towns and stuff together, I don't see the appeal" ... that pretty much sums it up.

In related news, I can't stand Carcassonne, so I'm going to go record a review for it.

Hylian7

You guys do realize TheBestGamers is a troll review site, right?

That said, there are a few things I agree on in that review, but most I disagree with.

I completely forgot about the fact that the villagers do nothing, which is extremely WTF.

Ranger X

Here's a review of Minecraft I fully agree with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap87xnjOh8E

eww, I couldn't last more than 3 mins. I know we will continue to disagree until the very end. He start by saying its a complete game -- it's not. And then it's programmer art --- whatever the source, it's a legit art style and the game looks great. I wonder if he realised that no other games are doing what Minecraft is doing and especially not in Uncharted level's of complexity simply because it's the very nature of the gameplay that prevents that. Notch was very clever to give those inevitably boxy graphics a full retro look --- wich again, it's a total legit look. (retro 2D is accepted nowadays, 3D retro will too. It's just art styles). An intelligent comment in a great review would have been simply to state he personally don't like the style and telling people why it can work.
Anyways, that other poster said those reviews aren't serious so I guess that's what it is --- I am talking for nothing :p

You guys do realize TheBestGamers is a troll review site, right?

Phew you just saved me 20 minutes of re-watching it with the sound on. I watched it earlier and got the general gist of it but wanted to be clear what the complaints were. I was seriously interested in why they would give it 2 out of 10.

I have spent countless hours playing minecraft, it is probably my most played game since Elite in the 80's. However I accept there are problems with the game and it isn't as fully developed as it should be or could be. I certainly disagree with all these perfect scores the game has been getting. However I don't think it is as bad as that "joke" review made it out to be.

I will admit though there are times I think "damn just imagine how good minecraft could be if a decent developer did it".

rezuth

eww, I couldn't last more than 3 mins. I know we will continue to disagree until the very end. He start by saying its a complete game -- it's not. And then it's programmer art --- whatever the source, it's a legit art style and the game looks great. I wonder if he realised that no other games are doing what Minecraft is doing and especially not in Uncharted level's of complexity simply because it's the very nature of the gameplay that prevents that. Notch was very clever to give those inevitably boxy graphics a full retro look --- wich again, it's a total legit look. (retro 2D is accepted nowadays, 3D retro will too. It's just art styles). An intelligent comment in a great review would have been simply to state he personally don't like the style and telling people why it can work.
Anyways, that other poster said those reviews aren't serious so I guess that's what it is --- I am talking for nothing :p
I doubt they will improve those aspects of the game, this is how they are shipping the game.

Ranger X

I doubt they will improve those aspects of the game, this is how they are shipping the game.

No, it still is an "ongoing devellopment game". Notch confirmed multiple times the game will continue to be updated, just like before. They also already talked about what the NPCs would eventually do. I dunno if the levels are doing something on the game right now but they also said they will have a purpose later.

The release of Minecraft is just the game passing from "beta" naming to "release" naming. That's all. It's the same thing as when it passed from "alpha" to "beta". Scemantics. At some point they inevitably have to decide to not name beta anymore, updates finished or not.

rezuth

No, it still is an "ongoing devellopment game". Notch confirmed multiple times the game will continue to be updated, just like before. They also already talked about what the NPCs would eventually do. I dunno if the levels are doing something on the game right now but they also said they will have a purpose later.

The release of Minecraft is just the game passing from "beta" naming to "release" naming. That's all. It's the same thing as when it passed from "alpha" to "beta". Scemantics. At some point they inevitably have to decide to not name beta anymore, updates finished or not.
He can say whatever he wants but the past months he has shown nothing but ignorance towards the community and development of the game. I'll believe it when I see it.

r1chard

He didn't just change the name, he also doubled the price.

I'm happy to accept the game will continue to be developed, and I'm glad I paid the "alpha" price for it. I'm not so sure that people paying the "full" price now are getting a fair deal.

Edit: er, doubled relative to the "alpha" price I paid - I forgot he upped the price during "beta" :)

Hylian7

That was actually the only review they did that wasn't trolling, outside of the things that pop up. Those are always hilarious.

So you're going to tell me that suddenly one review is automatically not trolling? Do you even have a source on this?

Ranger X

He didn't just change the name, he also doubled the price.

I'm happy to accept the game will continue to be developed, and I'm glad I paid the "alpha" price for it. I'm not so sure that people paying the "full" price now are getting a fair deal.

Edit: er, doubled relative to the "alpha" price I paid - I forgot he upped the price during "beta" :)

I am sure happy to have paid the Alpha price too, but it's evident this wouldn't be the final price. And with all the countless hours I did put in this game and that I am still putting in, I wouldn't regret a single penny if I was buying it now and realising this later. Minecraft is like my "game of the generation" so far. I've had alot less fun with a ton of 60$ titles...

Minecraft is like my "game of the generation" so far. I've had alot less fun with a ton of 60$ titles...

Same here, after I thought the update ruined my world I was real bummed. After I fixed it, the game sucked me back in. Skyrim, Arkham City, Skyward Sword and Saints Row are all being neglected again.

My favorite thing to do is put VLC/netflix off to one side of the screen and have Minecraft up on the other. I'll burn through a few seasons of a show while I farm/build my base/etc. It's real relaxing for me.

celebi23

Got this easy hack to work :D
YtkGA.png

(I'm wearing the Minecon cape yet I didn't go to Minecon:p) It was pretty easy to pull off. It was literally as simple as changing 1 url in one of the .class files :p Maybe Ark could do something similar for NeoCraft :p

Xun

Phew you just saved me 20 minutes of re-watching it with the sound on. I watched it earlier and got the general gist of it but wanted to be clear what the complaints were. I was seriously interested in why they would give it 2 out of 10.

I have spent countless hours playing minecraft, it is probably my most played game since Elite in the 80's. However I accept there are problems with the game and it isn't as fully developed as it should be or could be. I certainly disagree with all these perfect scores the game has been getting. However I don't think it is as bad as that "joke" review made it out to be.

I will admit though there are times I think "damn just imagine how good minecraft could be if a decent developer did it".
Pretty much yeah.

This type of game has a lot more potential than we're actually seeing.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
He can say whatever he wants but the past months he has shown nothing but ignorance towards the community and development of the game. I'll believe it when I see it.
there were 8 pre and RC updates in the last two months between 1.8.6 and 1.0 :\

rezuth

there were 8 pre and RC updates in the last two months between 1.8.6 and 1.0 :\

They focused on the wrong things IMO. Instead of focusing on the important features like mod support, community system with friendlists etc, AI, performance and so on. Instead of doing these features he added trivial stuff and half-assed attempts to make the game into some RPG. The game is having a identity crisis because he choose to cram some seemingly random stuff which he didn't even finish into the game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Eh, I'm happy with Minecraft just the way it is. Could it be better? Could it be improved? Hell yes, there is literally hundreds of things that could be added into the game that would improve it and make it tons better. Did I get my money's worth for what I have now? A resounding YES. I bought it last August for the alpha price, and I've literally played this game hundreds of hours since then. No game since the original Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast has so totally taken hold of me and monopolized all of my gaming time.

Minecraft is a wonderful game in concept and execution, and even though it could be leaps and bounds better in many ways, what it is not does not diminish what it is. Which is a great game, the kind that rarely comes along nowadays. And the future, whether it be from mods or from Notch, will only get better for Minecraft.

I'm totally happy with the game.

bengraven

I don't have a problem with the state they released Minecraft in. It's the type of game that can be constantly tweaked and improved. Hell, look at games like World of Warcraft that have been around for 6 years and still get small fixes that people asked for years...sometimes don't even ask for (like when you open your map your avatar also opens his map) - and that game has hundreds of people developing it.

It's a huge, ambitious game. There's always going to be something missing.

gutabo

I'm addicted to minecraft again.

I'm messing around with enchantments and potions. Any tips on what's the best way to set up my enchantment table? I've read that I have to suround it with bookshelves...

Ranger X

Eh, I'm happy with Minecraft just the way it is. Could it be better? Could it be improved? Hell yes, there is literally hundreds of things that could be added into the game that would improve it and make it tons better. Did I get my money's worth for what I have now? A resounding YES. I bought it last August for the alpha price, and I've literally played this game hundreds of hours since then. No game since the original Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast has so totally taken hold of me and monopolized all of my gaming time.

Minecraft is a wonderful game in concept and execution, and even though it could be leaps and bounds better in many ways, what it is not does not diminish what it is. Which is a great game, the kind that rarely comes along nowadays. And the future, whether it be from mods or from Notch, will only get better for Minecraft.

I'm totally happy with the game.

Exactly.
Minecraft is a pure sandbox game (well, not so pure since they added those linear RPG elements) so theorically this game can be improved until it's "real life 2". Minecraft really is a game you have to look at for what it is and not what it is not. It's the game with the biggest potential.... ever.

Eccocid

Eh..my login information doesn't work anymore. I tried to redownload the game. Even reset password i still can't login and download it. Are servers congested or something? Is it a common problem?

Riposte

Minecraft really is a game you have to look at for what it is and not what it is not. It's the game with the biggest potential.... ever.

Wow. You are really up in that koolaid. Minecraft has very little potential beyond what has already been observed and you are fantasizing about a game which is not Minecraft. Likely a game not made by Notch.

Anyway, thebestgamers really stepped it up with this review. I got tired of them awhile back(aside from their awesome pop-ups), but this is a legitimate counter to the rather absurd acclaim(which is to say the highest kind of acclaim) the release is getting. I like the little jabs at YouTubers, indies using "retro graphics" poorly, and people excusing the game because of friends. It alludes to a rather big problem in my eyes: Minecraft(Notch) is critically acclaimed because it is viral(vogue). Those are the kind influences a serious collection of critics need to be able to shake up if they want to get anywhere. They need to if they want to stop making a mockery of the artform and the meaning behind words like "innovation".

Ranger X

Wow. You are really up in that koolaid. Minecraft has very little potential beyond what has already been observed and you are fantasizing about a game which is not Minecraft. Likely a game not made by Notch.

I'm speaking theorically. It does not mean Minecraft will evolve more or not or reach it's full potential wich is THEORICALLY "real life 2". Doesn't mean either than Notch or anybody can pull it off anytime soon.

rezuth

Exactly.
Minecraft is a pure sandbox game (well, not so pure since they added those linear RPG elements) so theorically this game can be improved until it's "real life 2". Minecraft really is a game you have to look at for what it is and not what it is not. It's the game with the biggest potential.... ever.
This is not about what can be improved but what a full release should contain, not only that but the stuff that has been promised since forever. Why should Notch get a free pass?

Ranger X

This is not about what can be improved but what a full release should contain, not only that but the stuff that has been promised since forever. Why should Notch get a free pass?

It does not get a free pass. How do we mesure up "does this have have enough content for a release"? It's different for each game, it also depends on the price and how it entertains you. It's complete grey zone here.
This game is having more content than many other releases, it's all about if you like it or not --- wich I can't decide. Personally, this game is worth way freaking more than the price of admission, I have probably near 500 hours in there. Most 60$ gives us like 10-15 hours of entertainment. It's a really bad value compared to Minecraft for me. And that stuff that isn't updated yet will probably be there. Notch said multiple times they will continue to add to the game and so far what Notch said has been truth. Why would he suddendly start lying at release?

I started playing a bit of Minecraft tonight. Haven't played much, and it's been months.

Does this game kind of unnerve anybody else? It's something about the huge, endless world, being pretty much completely alone, and the subtle but effective sound effects.

Top Bottom