• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Takuya

Banned
Herding animals is the worst shit ever, is there a better way than pushing and hoping for the best?

Hold out some wheat, run around an animal until it start hopping and following you, it will do so as long as you have the wheat held out. You can have multiple animals following you too.

Hold out some wheat, run around an animal until it start hopping and following you, it will do so as long as you have the wheat held out. You can have multiple animals following you too.

I was under the impression you could guide animals now by holding some wheat, I dunno I haven't tried it myself (still on 1.8 awaiting patiently for the Neocraft server to update).

Awesome, thanks a ton :)

Jasoco

Banned
Okay. So I have not seriously played this game since 1.7. So much has changed, but I don't know where to start using the new shit.

Teach me how to play MineCraft NOW. All the new stuff. I started a new survival world and have built myself a mountain home to start, but where can I find a good guide besides the Wiki.

Ranger X

Okay. So I have not seriously played this game since 1.7. So much has changed, but I don't know where to start using the new shit.

Teach me how to play MineCraft NOW. All the new stuff. I started a new survival world and have built myself a mountain home to start, but where can I find a good guide besides the Wiki.

I think that wiki truly is the best guide. Besides, wouldn't be fun to experiment with the wiki beside you. I mean, isn't sorta the point of Minecraft to discover stuff and mess with it?

I think that wiki truly is the best guide. Besides, wouldn't be fun to experiment with the wiki beside you. I mean, isn't sorta the point of Minecraft to discover stuff and mess with it?

While this is how I did it, the other option is to try to follow the achievements. They are more of a guideline to playing the game than any real achievement system, as there is an entire sequence of the steps necessary to reach the end laid out in the achievements.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Started work on the Temple of Time on our local Survival Server, using only what we mine.

msqia.png

Jasoco

Banned
The only bug I really hate is that it won't let me sleep if "there are monsters nearby" even though the room is sealed. Fucking hell. That's bullshit. There are multiple doors and plenty of light around.

Edit: Turns out there was a cave right under my feet and a skeleton and zombie trying to get me from down there. Lit the area up and killed them. Hopefully that keeps it free.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Maybe it's just me, but I hate the new sounds.

I like them so far, for the most part I think they are improvements. Somehow they actually made skeletons sound more terrifying, that amazes me. And the new explosion sounds are cool. The sound for eating could be better though.

Ranger X

The only bug I really hate is that it won't let me sleep if "there are monsters nearby" even though the room is sealed. Fucking hell. That's bullshit. There are multiple doors and plenty of light around.

Edit: Turns out there was a cave right under my feet and a skeleton and zombie trying to get me from down there. Lit the area up and killed them. Hopefully that keeps it free.

I don't even think this is a bug, just a bad feature...

Tawpgun

So, what happens if you beat the Ender Dragon in multiplayer? Do you still get credits? Is he forever gone from that Strongholds portal?

Jasoco

Banned
Where the hell do I get wheat seeds? The Wiki says that tall grass will drop it if I use shears, but it won't drop any fucking seeds! I am trying to build a farm and I can't even find a single goddamn one to start with.

What am I doing wrong? Left clicking with the shears just gives me grass. Right clicking does nothing. Using a hoe on grass no longer works to give seeds. Please help! Sheesh! Did they lower the rate to like 1 in 1000 or something?

Ranger X

Where the hell do I get wheat seeds? The Wiki says that tall grass will drop it if I use shears, but it won't drop any fucking seeds! I am trying to build a farm and I can't even find a single goddamn one to start with.

What am I doing wrong? Left clicking with the shears just gives me grass. Right clicking does nothing. Using a hoe on grass no longer works to give seeds. Please help! Sheesh! Did they lower the rate to like 1 in 1000 or something?

You can get wheat seeds by getting rid of tall grass and cutting wheat. Kill it with anything but shears (since the later will collect them). If you want to get grass instantly, bonemeal normal grass blocks.

Jasoco

Banned
I must have misread it. Plus it had been so long since I tried 1.8 I had forgotten you could get them from hitting grass. Phew. I thought I had a bugged copy. Yay farming!

celebi23

So, I finally ventured into the 1.0.0 version of the Nether and where did my portal end up? Half off a cliff :p
A3g71.png
eS2r3.png

So, I found the Nether fortress, collected a bunch of materials and built my own Nether house. Here's some pics

q7zYi.png
Z1d97.png

KWeEy.png
PUh5P.png

My house with the lovely Nether Wart farm

HaBuQ.png
2vh3n.png

vWW6Y.png
q6gvr.png

Growing some mushrooms and showing off how my house hangs off the cliff. Oh and the last one is my Nether rewards. Still trying for a Ghast tear or two. Can't wait to build a Nether house on NeoCraft.

So, I finally ventured into the 1.0.0 version of the Nether and where did my portal end up? Half off a cliff :p
A3g71.png
eS2r3.png

So, I found the Nether fortress, collected a bunch of materials and built my own Nether house. Here's some pics

q7zYi.png
Z1d97.png

KWeEy.png
PUh5P.png

HaBuQ.png
2vh3n.png

vWW6Y.png
q6gvr.png

Growing some mushrooms and showing off how my house hangs off the cliff. Oh and the last one is my Nether rewards. Still trying for a Ghast tear or two. Can't wait to build a Nether house on NeoCraft.

Nice, is it made out of ghast-proof materials? I can't remember what blocks they can't destroy.

Jasoco

Banned
Are villages more rare now? I used to have half a dozen in a mile radius, now I don't have any in the world I've explored yet.

Also, anyone know how to get 64-bit Java on OS X? I want to use Far without it yelling at me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are villages more rare now? I used to have half a dozen in a mile radius, now I don't have any in the world I've explored yet.

Also, anyone know how to get 64-bit Java on OS X? I want to use Far without it yelling at me.

This happened on our local server as well. We've explored a lot of land, but we've only found one village and one mine so far, where they were more common previously.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Nice Celeb. I haven't even ventured into the new nether in the 1.0 world I started this weekend. I haven't even found a single diamond yet. Built a nice little house, started digging down, dug right into a huge underground ravine and discovered an immense cave network with huge hollowed out areas and underground waterfalls, and I've been sidetracked exploring that ever since. Currently I'm slowly starving to death waiting for my new wheat garden to grow so I can harvest it and make some bread. Killed all of the pigs and cows on the spawn island and none have respawned yet, lol. My next project will be starting an animal farm so I can get some meat. Food really is important now, I like it. It's an actual priority when starting a new game.

Not sure. There aren't any on the island I spawned on in my new 1.0 world, but I can see one off in the distance from the southern shoreline, in a desert by the looks of it. Haven't been over to it yet.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, they're rare. I found one in a Creative version of the same seed I use and there was a stronghold right south of it. But fuck. The Library is completely destroyed because the game generated a lava pool under it and it burned most of the bookcases and the chandelier! DAAAAAAAAAAMMMIT! Which means I might as well not even hunt this one down. It's a shame. I guess I should look for the other two.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Yeah, they're rare. I found one in a Creative version of the same seed I use and there was a stronghold right south of it. But fuck. The Library is completely destroyed because the game generated a lava pool under it and it burned most of the bookcases and the chandelier! DAAAAAAAAAAMMMIT! Which means I might as well not even hunt this one down. It's a shame. I guess I should look for the other two.

I'm pretty sure Strongholds are now infinite, not just three of them. They're really damn rare still though.

I've kinda been wussing out since 1.0, became much more of a surface dweller. I don't really go underground, aside from my branch mines. (At least not until I get enough ore for some good gear.) So I'm still yet to even see one.

I am finding villages pretty often though, found three in my last world (that I stopped playing 'cause I did Cartographer on it and felt like I cheated...) and I have two in my current world less than a kilometer apart. Actually joined them by a rail track, that's my "big build".

fresquito

Is it me or diamond is now less common? Not that I have mined too much, but I've gone through six or seven iron pickaxes by now and have found no diamond at all.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
Is it me or diamond is now less common? Not that I have mined too much, but I've gone through six or seven iron pickaxes by now and have found no diamond at all.

I think it's at a lower level than it used to be. Like it used to peak around 17, now it peaks around 12 or something.

celebi23

Nice, is it made out of ghast-proof materials? I can't remember what blocks they can't destroy.
It's made out of Nether Blocks. So far, the Ghast haven't destroyed it lol

Nice Celeb. I haven't even ventured into the new nether in the 1.0 world I started this weekend. I haven't even found a single diamond yet. Built a nice little house, started digging down, dug right into a huge underground ravine and discovered an immense cave network with huge hollowed out areas and underground waterfalls, and I've been sidetracked exploring that ever since. Currently I'm slowly starving to death waiting for my new wheat garden to grow so I can harvest it and make some bread. Killed all of the pigs and cows on the spawn island and none have respawned yet, lol. My next project will be starting an animal farm so I can get some meat. Food really is important now, I like it. It's an actual priority when starting a new game.

Not sure. There aren't any on the island I spawned on in my new 1.0 world, but I can see one off in the distance from the southern shoreline, in a desert by the looks of it. Haven't been over to it yet.
Yeah, the Nether is quite creepy if you don't have a plan for attack and a nice base to run back to lol

Yeah the highest layer you can find diamonds at has been moved down two layers. So there's overall less of it now. Also gold, lapis and redstone have been moved down as well.

Speaking of the Nether... Can we delete our Nether world once NeoCraft gets to 1.0? So it'll be all new and shiny and full of fortresses (hopefully) :D

Atomski

So I just grinded a bunch of stuff. enchanted all my armor and sword. Finally got all the ender eyes I needed to open the ender portal then I...

Spawned on a platform floating in the middle of nowhere.. then the dragon rushed me and knocked me off the side. Lost everything...

Grinchy

Banned
Is there a reason why minecraft isn't on steam?

I assume that since over 4 million copies have been sold through minecraft.net, there's no reason to suddenly hand over 30% of that income. I bet it'll go on Steam whenever the sales start to slow down. They still sell 10,000 copies per day.

Is there a reason why minecraft isn't on steam?

Well the game has just come out of beta and as far as I am aware Steam isn't a big fan of allowing beta versions of games on their service. However Notch has stated the reasons why Minecraft is never likely to appear on steam :-

Notch said:
Being on Steam limits a lot of what we're allowed to do with the game, and how we're allowed to talk to our users, We (probably?) wouldn't be able to, say, sell capes or have a map marketplace on minecraft.net that works with Steam customers in a way that keeps Valve happy.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-30-notch-why-minecraft-isnt-on-steam

I would love to have Minecraft on steam (hell I would probably rebuy it again just to have it on steam) but I just cannot see it happening.

Takuya

Banned

They used to spawn between layers 10 and 17.

They now spawn from Bedrock all the way up to (as far as I've seen) layer 18.

Top Bottom