• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Grinchy

Banned
I made some iron armor and went into my nether portal with stacks of mats to make a little safe zone. I want to find a stonghold and create a safe passage to it. Within 40 seconds, a ghast blew me off my footing and I fell to my death lol. Now I remember why I liked this game so much.

Ranger, what's the black/white wool thing you have going on to the left of your harvester?

Ranger X

I made some iron armor and went into my nether portal with stacks of mats to make a little safe zone. I want to find a stonghold and create a safe passage to it. Within 40 seconds, a ghast blew me off my footing and I fell to my death lol. Now I remember why I liked this game so much.

U mad? :p

EDIT: oh, it's my life Mushroom.

LifeShroom.png

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

Ranger, what's the black/white wool thing you have going on to the left of your harvester?

this story would be better if you were playing hardcore mode.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
ark, if i make something medium size in single player. will you import to the multi map when it reaches 1.0?

Um, seriously? Ark has a life with other things to do too, other than maintain the Neocraft server. You don't think thats a little much to ask? And irregardless of Ark's time, the whole point of the server is that we build things online and play together, why would you want to simply import something pre-built?

I often build things in single player, like it, and then build it on the server too. Using single player as a trial run of sorts, esecially now that we have creative mode. Maybe you could do that?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Um, seriously? Ark has a life with other things to do too, other than maintain the Neocraft server. You don't think thats a little much to ask? And irregardless of Ark's time, the whole point of the server is that we build things online and play together, why would you want to simply import something pre-built?

I often build things in single player, like it, and then build it on the server too. Using single player as a trial run of sorts, esecially now that we have creative mode. Maybe you could do that?

i get that i was just wondering. i wasn't gonna do it. i was just asking and i am using creative mode as a trial run. i am sorry i asked.

Mengy

i get that i was just wondering. i wasn't gonna do it. i was just asking and i am using creative mode as a trial run. i am sorry i asked.

Nah, don't be sorry you asked. It's not the first time that question's been brought up!

What I found real convenient to do is to build what I want in creative mode and play with designs and materials and such since its free, fast, and easy. Then when I have it where I want it, I'll save that creative world with myself right there at the thing I'm building, load up Neocraft, and start building it there. That way, if I get to a point where I need to look at how I made something or how a part goes together, all I have to do is quit out of Neocraft and quick hop into the creative world, take a look, then quit and go back online into Neocraft. Once you get the hang of it it's both fast and real convenient.

Another good thing about building something in creative mode first is that you get a very good idea of what materials you are going to need. One of my favorite parts of playing on Neocraft is having an idea of what I want to build and then going out material farming and collecting. It gives me goals to play towards. I might be a sicko, but I actually enjoy gathering materials in Minecraft.

I like them so far, for the most part I think they are improvements. Somehow they actually made skeletons sound more terrifying, that amazes me. And the new explosion sounds are cool. The sound for eating could be better though.

Hmm, my sounds must be broken then. Some are super quiet like the creeper sound, I can barely tell what just exploded. The skeletons sounded like a glitched sound effect to me.

Ranger X

Another good thing about building something in creative mode first is that you get a very good idea of what materials you are going to need. One of my favorite parts of playing on Neocraft is having an idea of what I want to build and then going out material farming and collecting. It gives me goals to play towards. I might be a sicko, but I actually enjoy gathering materials in Minecraft.

Creative Mode = practice, tests, planning
Survival Mode = the real thing

That's basically how I see this game too. And of course you're not a wacko by gathering the materials, it's half of what the game is! lol

Shadybiz

OK...curiosity is finally getting the better of me with this game. I've watched a couple of the Yogscasts, and I think I'm ready to give it a try.

Two questions: If I purchase this, can I download it to both my desktop and my laptop (for only one payment)? I would imagine so, but I wanted to make sure. Also, is it saved in a cloud or something, so I can continue what I was doing from either computer? Thanks in advance.

OK...curiosity is finally getting the better of me with this game. I've watched a couple of the Yogscasts, and I think I'm ready to give it a try.

Two questions: If I purchase this, can I download it to both my desktop and my laptop (for only one payment)? I would imagine so, but I wanted to make sure. Also, is it saved in a cloud or something, so I can continue what I was doing from either computer? Thanks in advance.

yes you can download it on your desktop and laptop, no the saves are not cloud.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

even wood O_O?

Jasoco

Banned
Anyway, I got a new i5 MacBook Air today to replace my 2010 MacBook Pro with a Core2Duo and let me tell ya, the difference is amazing. I am actually playing on Far with hardly any lag at all. Rarely any frame skips. Plus I am able to use my computer for other things while the game is running in the background. My C2D was so slow. Frame skips, slowdown, made using anything while it was running unbearable so I was constantly quitting and relaunching the game just to check a Wiki or post in a thread.

Goddamn I love my new machine.

Super Meat Boy still runs like shit though.

So, I've decided to share a bit of what I've been working on in Minecraft. This all starts a little more than a month ago. There were lots of Pre-Releases coming out and I kept up with them, but eventually got sick of having to make new worlds every week to play the new features so I said to myself. "I'm gonna do one major project that'll take me exactly one month. That way, when the 1.0.0 comes out, I'll be done and will play that."

Well I underestimated how long it would take to finish Mega-Project 1: A Giant Walled Castle City, but I decided to show my progress anyway. This is it so far. This is all done on creative.

http://i.minus.com/iHVYYNv5XBPXd.png

I didn't embed because it's a big, Cartograph G picture and I thought that might be obnoxious.

I know it might seem like I built that in a nice, open field, but in reality, that used to just be an extension of the nearby forests. I chopped down every tree manually then had to painstakingly flatten the land inside, which mostly involved holding the left mouse button and the forward key while watch tv. The walls are 16 thick at the base, and are solid cobblestone all the way through. I made it using careful application of lave and water, so it didn't take as long as you'd think. The second layer is smooth stone walls with long tunnels inside running the length. And the top is a nice little roof part supported by fences.

As you can see if you look at the bottom left wall, I'm starting work on the giant gate now. I plan on putting a huge castle by the top right wall, near the water, and building the city in the remaining space. If I get particularly bored, I might even do some landscaping on the shallow water by the top right wall, making it a deeper ocean and removing the island. I might also try to dig a river running through the city. Haven't decided yet.

Grinchy

Banned
this story would be better if you were playing hardcore mode.

lol for sure. I'm too scared to play hardcore mode. I don't necessarily die a lot but I don't like being that cautious.

I kinda like that iron seems to be everywhere now. Losing a full set of iron armor and iron tools is no longer a very big deal, it seems.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
update:
i built a mini piston powered mob farm.
npwj1.png

i tested it, and it does work, even though its small. (of course it will be much bigger on the server)

i am hoping to make it look like something like this but a more worse. alot more.

So sometimes I see someone post a cartograph image for something that is a nice, big, square, generated map. How do people get this?

All I've found is Minecraft Land Generator (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/187737-minecraft-land-generator/) which works for very basic purposes, even with its cumbersome way of working. But what I'm trying to do is pre-generate a decent-sized world using the DynamicHeight mod, so that I can run a world at 512 height without the massive slowdown upon generating new chunks.

Are there any tools/methods out there aside from just manually running/flying around a bunch?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
finally got a stable permament residence up on my hardcore world and i wanna show it off:

xAlZ8.png

between the farm and stable i have all the food i need, the water setting makes me safe vs any and all mob spawns and best of all its built over a pacified stronghold.

the center area has a large room under the floor that connects to the airlock in the picture and its where i do my enchanting and alchemy, in the middle of the room is a ladder that goes down to my strongholds library and deeper down into my mine. the stronghold end portal room is even built into the side of an underground/water ravine that i'm still in the process of passifying.

not sure what to do now as i dont feel im quiet ready for the end yet, I think ill get my netherregions under control first.

defel

I started playing in hardcore mode about a week ago and now ive got a solid base, all the materials and resources that I need and now im stuck at what to do next.

Ranger X

update:
i built a mini piston powered mob farm.
npwj1.png

i tested it, and it does work, even though its small. (of course it will be much bigger on the server)

i am hoping to make it look like something like this but a more worse. alot more.

So mobs are glitching through moving floors? Interesting.
However, I still wonder why people are beating themselves up to think about other kinds of mob grinders when the most effective way have been found since a freaking long while + is still relevant in 1.0

The guy in the video is having tremendously cool mob grinder but it's complicated and long to make for no good reason, it's not entirely automatic and he also loses alot of loot.
The most effective way to make a mob grinder is to have spawning floors with the minimum size for full group of NMEs to spawn (wich is 8x8) and then having currents all around that floor that will bring all those mobs into a drowning tube. The mob moves and fall into that current, it is automatically sent into the drowning tube and the only thing you need to do is to go collect the loot. It's entirely automatic and there's no systems or whatever red stone layer of complication there. Also, drowning is the only method where you get 100% of the loot. With lava killing you lose at least 50% and with Cactus you probably lose at least 30%. Why? because when a mob dies, the loot is "thrown" into a random direction and therefore MANY will touch the lava and disappear. Its alot of effectiveness lost.

Blizzard

Banned
I started playing in hardcore mode about a week ago and now ive got a solid base, all the materials and resources that I need and now im stuck at what to do next.
Mr. Bond, I expect you to die.

(seriously I'm not sure -- I understand that losing your world instantly can make the game more intense, but I kinda hope people aren't putting much effort into fancy buildings that could be deleted at any time, that would feel tragic to me)

Mengy

However, I still wonder why people are beating themselves up to think about other kinds of mob grinders when the most effective way have been found since a freaking long while + is still relevant in 1.0

The guy in the video is having tremendously cool mob grinder but it's complicated and long to make for no good reason, it's not entirely automatic and he also loses alot of loot.
The most effective way to make a mob grinder is to have spawning floors with the minimum size for full group of NMEs to spawn (wich is 8x8) and then having currents all around that floor that will bring all those mobs into a drowning tube. The mob moves and fall into that current, it is automatically sent into the drowning tube and the only thing you need to do is to go collect the loot. It's entirely automatic and there's no systems or whatever red stone layer of complication there. Also, drowning is the only method where you get 100% of the loot. With lava killing you lose at least 50% and with Cactus you probably lose at least 30%. Why? because when a mob dies, the loot is "thrown" into a random direction and therefore MANY will touch the lava and disappear. Its alot of effectiveness lost.

I actually prefer fall damage grinders, for one big reason: drastically reduced kill time. The faster the mobs die, the quicker more will spawn. A good one with many spawning floors takes quite a bit of work to make, but they work fantastic. Haven't made one yet since endermen were introduced though, I wonder if they start falling do they teleport away?

I understand that losing your world instantly can make the game more intense, but I kinda hope people aren't putting much effort into fancy buildings that could be deleted at any time, that would feel tragic to me)

I have two single player games going right now: one is my "main" world on a named seed that I've started anew for 1.0, and the other is my random seed hardcore world. I'm playing them both very differently. In my main world I am building huge bases and mines and roads and such. But in my hardcore world, I'm playing a wanderer. I started by building a makeshift basic base, just enough to gather up some supplies, not even pretty or artistic, and once I've got some gear I leave and head out into the world exploring. And I just wander about, sightseeing, exploring, seeing how far I can get and how much I can see. And every now and then I build a temporary base to grow some wheat or hunt pigs from for a few days. Once I'm ready I set out again. I spelunk caves but I only mine what I need. It's been refreshing and fun, and when (not IF) I die then I keep the cartographer map of that world as a souvenier or trophy and start anew again. I find it a fun way to play, and I still have my persistant main world for those huge projects and such.

Ranger X

I actually prefer fall damage grinders, for one big reason: drastically reduced kill time. The faster the mobs die, the quicker more will spawn. A good one with many spawning floors takes quite a bit of work to make, but they work fantastic. Haven't made one yet since endermen were introduced though, I wonder if they start falling do they teleport away?

Yes those are the most effective... when done.
I was actually factoring effectiveness + ease to make. :/

I really need to experiment with Endermen though. They do spawn in my mob grinder and therefore they do fall in my currents but with their long legs I suppose they aren't transported by it. To collect Ender Pearls we might absolutely need a "fall damage" grinder. I was actually thinking of doing one in my single player world to test that anyways. It's just that getting the height at wich NMEs are dying is a bit boring. What is your preferred method of making the mobs fall actually? Because mobs aren't throwing themselves down at certain height. I can't use water because it won't affect Endermen. I don't feel like using the moving floor glitch...

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

I did test the grinder. Twice. Once with what you see there, another with a bigger grinderwhich also worked with 0 iteam loss. The only reason I am doing this is for my player vs mob arena. I don't want any spiders in my arena. Why? Idunno why I just don't like spiders. Also it's easy to make. Once you have pistons and redstone. The rest is a easy.

The only problem is since the spiders don't passthrough the floor. They have to be delt with every now and then.

Mengy

Yes those are the most effective... when done.
I was actually factoring effectiveness + ease to make. :/

I really need to experiment with Endermen though. They do spawn in my mob grinder and therefore they do fall in my currents but with their long legs I suppose they aren't transported by it. To collect Ender Pearls we might absolutely need a "fall damage" grinder. I was actually thinking of doing one in my single player world to test that anyways. It's just that getting the height at wich NMEs are dying is a bit boring. What is your preferred method of making the mobs fall actually? Because mobs aren't throwing themselves down at certain height. I can't use water because it won't affect Endermen. I don't feel like using the moving floor glitch...

I built one under Booty Bay, right at the bottom of the staircase to the mines. I've also built a few other ones offline. The trick I use to make the mobs fall off the platforms is to line the edges of the platforms with signs. If you just have bare edges the mobs sense the edge and most times won't walk off of it, but if you slap signs along the edges then they seem to think there is a solid block under their feet and they happily walk right off the edge to their doom. A good size grinder can take hundreds of signs, believe you me that is a whole lot of tree cutting.

What I'm going to eventually build in my new main world is an XP mob grinder. Since mobs only give XP orbs if the player kills them, I'm going to make a huge spawning floor network that can funnel mobs to a "kill window" of sorts but not actually kill them. Then, I can just sit safely at the window and sword the mobs to death, gaining their drops and XP. Of course I haven't even made my first enchanting table yet, so this is still a ways off...

Ranger X

I built one under Booty Bay, right at the bottom of the staircase to the mines. I've also built a few other ones offline. The trick I use to make the mobs fall off the platforms is to line the edges of the platforms with signs. If you just have bare edges the mobs sense the edge and most times won't walk off of it, but if you slap signs along the edges then they seem to think there is a solid block under their feet and they happily walk right off the edge to their doom. A good size grinder can take hundreds of signs, believe you me that is a whole lot of tree cutting.

What I'm going to eventually build in my new main world is an XP mob grinder. Since mobs only give XP orbs if the player kills them, I'm going to make a huge spawning floor network that can funnel mobs to a "kill window" of sorts but not actually kill them. Then, I can just sit safely at the window and sword the mobs to death, gaining their drops and XP. Of course I haven't even made my first enchanting table yet, so this is still a ways off...

I didn't experiment with enchanting yet. Are the levels only useful for that?
As for my mob grinder, I get XP easily because instead of collecting stuff "under" the drowning tube, it is collected through little vents on each side. Spiders are able to get into those vents and be in range with me but they can't get out. It's the perfect trap to get XP easily. But you just inspired me to make something. I will actually "improve" my mob grinder by making a fork in the current leading to my drowing tube. Pistons will decide where the water goes. There will be the usual drowning tube and the other way the NMEs will be sent to a killing window like you're talking about. :)

-------------------

Also, can someone repost the last Neocraft backup before we restarted the server? For some reason I seem to have lost it. :( Ark maybe?
tks,

Jasoco

Banned
Bah. I'm trying to prototype my own mob grinder based on the drowning version I was shown in NeoCraft so long ago, but hardly any Mobs are spawning inside at all and when they do it's once in a while and none of them ever leave anything when they die.

Maybe I'll prototype a wheat farm instead.

Vlad

I didn't experiment with enchanting yet. Are the levels only useful for that?

Yeah, that's all XP is used for at the moment. I'm kind of torn on if I actually like that or not, honestly, as that means that no matter what you spend the enchantments on, it's all temporary anyway. I've probably dumped 30 levels worth of enchantment into a diamond sword and a full set of diamond armor in my 1.0 SP game, but once the items are destroyed, that's it. On the one hand, it means that you never get to this point of being forever overpowered, but it does make it feel like a little bit of a waste, even if some of the enchantments are rather useful.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Bah. I'm trying to prototype my own mob grinder based on the drowning version I was shown in NeoCraft so long ago, but hardly any Mobs are spawning inside at all and when they do it's once in a while and none of them ever leave anything when they die.

try getting a flat map that has all the caves filled. then turn on mobs during the day to test.

i don't know how a mob grinder works but making a drowing trap with lava or water is pretty easy.
Code:
|    trap        |
|___      ___|
      | /// |  
      | /// |  <--- water/ laval  
      |\   /|  <--- signs
i am guessing how it would work

edit:
yep worked for me
by50I.png

Ranger X

So I made a little research on the intarwebs and it seems Endermen can fall for at least 45 blocks to die from fall damage. That's fucking high actually but I might try it.

We can troubleshoot your mob grinder if you want. Oh and take a look at my wheat farm on the previous page if you want.

Woorloog

Banned
Any idea when the game is going to get a patch? The game crashes the whole system on starting/loading a world. Every major beta update (1.5, 1.6 etc) seemed to cause this issue and now 1.00.
Sigh.

Ranger X

Anyone know if the water pipe mushroom harvester method still works in 1.0?

I had one before and now it doesn't work anymore.
Mushroom spreading has been nerfed quite alot. Now the mushroom will spread only if there's less than 5 mushroom in 9x9x3 area around it.

The new effective way to get mushroom in no time is to bone meal mushroom into giant shrooms and then break them up. Each giant mushroom gives around 10 small shrooms when you break it up.

I had one before and now it doesn't work anymore.
Mushroom spreading has been nerfed quite alot. Now the mushroom will spread only if there's less than 5 mushroom in 9x9x3 area around it.

The new effective way to get mushroom in no time is to bone meal mushroom into giant shrooms and then break them up. Each giant mushroom gives around 10 small shrooms when you break it up.

Well damn. This complicates things for my auto harvester. Thanks for speedy reply.

Top Bottom