• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Jasoco

Banned
As I just Tweeted on Twitter I just killed my first official Enderman. So awesome. I was on Easy though, so I changed up to Normal to see how much harder it might be. He never actually hit me though and held a block of grass the whole time but kept teleporting behind me like a certain first boss enemy from a recently released video game. My first Eye of Ender.

Hope to keep going in this world until I get into the hardcore Enchantment stuff and shit like The End.

Also, you can't see the rest of them, but there's about a dozen wolves all in this area here, and most of them fell down into an exposed cavern. A couple of them apparently chased a sheep up a tree..
iQomzBGM2i2O.PNG

(Actually it spawned inside the tree but still, the wolves know it's there and apparently they actually do want him. I think I'll cut the tree down...)

Ranger X

Got danget, Bobby!

Well I have no idea how I'm going to setup my harvester now.

I can't figure out any good automatic way to harvest mushroom right now. Farming them the old way would take ALOT of place and it's not possible to auto bonemeal mushrooms and then destroy them. So it's either you forget about automatically harvest mushroom or you'll have to make a damn big mushroom room for it to be worth it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Now the mushroom will spread only if there's less than 5 mushrooms in a 9x9x3 area around it.

So, it can still be done, you just need a freaking huge harvester with lots of floor space to get any decent amount of them?

Jasoco

Banned
So it was just an Ender Pearl and not an Eye of Ender, still. I now have 2 of them and have defeated 3. Really nice. I use Painterly and they have a purple magic glitter around them so it's awesome looking.

So it was just an Ender Pearl and not an Eye of Ender, still. I now have 2 of them and have defeated 3. Really nice. I use Painterly and they have a purple magic glitter around them so it's awesome looking.

Don't you craft an Eye of Ender? Or is there a chance of one dropping? I've never played past 1.8 myself.

Vlad

Don't you craft an Eye of Ender? Or is there a chance of one dropping? I've never played past 1.8 myself.

Yeah, the Eye of Enders are craft-only. It's one Ender Pearl and one Blaze Rod, IIRC.

I'd test it myself, but I still have yet to kill any $#@%ing endermen.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, the Eye of Enders are craft-only. It's one Ender Pearl and one Blaze Rod, IIRC.

I'd test it myself, but I still have yet to kill any $#@%ing endermen.
Ah, gotcha. See, I am so new, I don't know what ANY of this new shit does. I haven't even gone to the Nether in this seed ("Matt Smith" in case you're wondering) yet.

Grinchy

Banned
Man this game just pulls me back in every time. The last 2 nights, I've probably played this game for up to 4 hours straight each time I open it. Getting blaze rods in the nether, farming, breeding, and building a house that has an alchemy station on one side and and enchanting room on the other side, ect. I can't stop. Damn this game. I keep letting Skyrim collect digital dust, sadly.

Mengy

Man this game just pulls me back in every time. The last 2 nights, I've probably played this game for up to 4 hours straight each time I open it. Getting blaze rods in the nether, farming, breeding, and building a house that has an alchemy station on one side and and enchanting room on the other side, ect. I can't stop. Damn this game. I keep letting Skyrim collect digital dust, sadly.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. This past Saturday night I decided to start my new single player 1.0 world, and my intention was to just play for a few hours and get a starter base going. But I fully intended to end up playing more Skyrim by the end of the night,. It's now Thursday, and the only game I've played since Saturday night is Minecraft. I haven't played a single minute of any other game since. And my starter base is now a sprawling farm on the coast of a huge island with wheat fields, pumpkin patches, pig and cow pens, and a cellar that has a staircase down into this huge underground ravine that has a dozen cave openings that lead into huge open waterfall caverns and miles of cave networks, from the island topside all the way down to lava. I've been spelunking for over 10 hours now and I still have cave left to explore. I haven't even touched enchanting yet, nor alchemy, nor the nether. I'm still working on my base and exploring my island. Did find my first diamonds last night though. Made an effort to explore down around the lava lake level and found 8 of them.

Skyrim is awesome, I already have over 70 hours into it since it launched, but Minecraft has this interactive creative aspect to it that so totally sucks me into it's world every time I play it. It still astounds me just how addictive I find this game, it's even "worse" than the just-one-more-turn sickness I get with Civilization.

I really wish Notch and Co would get rid of this moronic signing into their servers crap. I thought I would play a bit of minecraft but alas I can't because their crappy $5 authentication servers aren't working.

I know I wouldn't put up with this rubbish from a "big name" developer but I am even less than inclined to put up with it from Notch and Co.

Blizzard

Banned
I really wish Notch and Co would get rid of this moronic signing into their servers crap. I thought I would play a bit of minecraft but alas I can't because their crappy $5 authentication servers aren't working.

I know I wouldn't put up with this rubbish from a "big name" developer but I am even less than inclined to put up with it from Notch and Co.
It should give you the option to play in offline mode if authentication fails -- does it not do that?

It should give you the option to play in offline mode if authentication fails -- does it not do that?
Yes of course it gives me the option of doing that, the problem is I don't want to play single player I want to continue working on my building in Neocraft.

Now I know there is nothing wrong with my net connection and there is nothing wrong with the Neocraft server but because Notch still insists on us "authenticating" our purchase every single damn time I cannot play multiplayer which is what I want to do.

Blizzard

Banned
Yes of course it gives me the option of doing that, the problem is I don't want to play single player I want to continue working on my building in Neocraft.

Now I know there is nothing wrong with my net connection and there is nothing wrong with the Neocraft server but because Notch still insists on us "authenticating" our purchase every single damn time I cannot play multiplayer which is what I want to do.
Ah, I see.

I think authenticating for online multiplayer is pretty standard with Starcraft 2, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 3, or whatever you play these days. I understand your frustration however, and I thought that they had improved their authentication servers. It used to be worse. Considering they have 4+ million game owners now maybe they need to upgrade again or something. :/

Oh so you want pirates to just be able to do whatever they want in a paying customer's server. Because that's the sort of thing that happens when you don't have authentication in online games, whether it's a simple CD key, or an actual login with account name and password.

I mean, sure, the servers are a bit crummy, but to call the decision moronic is a bit... moronic.

Ranger X

This way of doing is pretty standard. You buy the client and you must log in with the client. It makes sense.

Mengy

I just tried and it logged on just fine for me. If you are still having problems then it's something on your end, the servers are working.

Oh so you want pirates to just be able to do whatever they want in a paying customer's server. Because that's the sort of thing that happens when you don't have authentication in online games, whether it's a simple CD key, or an actual login with account name and password.

I am a paying customer and I can't play the game. I imagine the pirates aren't having this issue. I would say having me "authenticate" my purchase EVERY single damn time I start minecraft is being pretty moronic.

This way of doing is pretty standard. You buy the client and you must log in with the client. It makes sense.

I will give way to your knowledge I have never bothered with multiplayer games before. This is the first game I have ever played in an online environment and if this kind of bull is standard for MP games then I can see me staying clear of MP games then.

I would've said it makes sense for me to have to "login" to the server I actually want to play on but to have a continuous "oh let me check if you bought the game" check every single damn time I start the game is a bit ridiculous.

I just tried and it logged on just fine for me. If you are still having problems then it's something on your end, the servers are working.

Yeah it finally started working again, although the login is incredibly slow.

Ranger X

I will give way to your knowledge I have never bothered with multiplayer games before. This is the first game I have ever played in an online environment and if this kind of bull is standard for MP games then I can see me staying clear of MP games then.

Don't see it negatively like that. When you're connecting on multiple platforms you need to "log in". Minecraft is no exception. It's not like everything that you pay for and login are like dog on you watching "did you pay motherfucker?". If it was THAT important to them they wouldn't even let you play without authentification. Clearly with Minecraft they don't give a damn, you can play offline after a login fail. That's pretty fair game. I think you taint the whole thing negatively by yourself.

If it was THAT important to them they wouldn't even let you play without authentification. Clearly with Minecraft they don't give a damn, you can play offline after a login fail. That's pretty fair game. I think you taint the whole thing negatively by yourself.
That is where we will have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't say a company requiring you to authenticate your game EVERY TIME you start it is a sign that the company doesn't "give a damn". I was unable to authenticate my copy and was locked out of the portion of the game I wanted to play. As a customer that paid for the product I think I should be annoyed at that.

Stop raging and act like a reasonable human being, good lord.

Oh thanks for that valuable advice I think I will stick to acting like a customer that paid for a product and was denied access to that product because of the crappy drm authentication servers.

Ranger X

That is where we will have to agree to disagree. I wouldn't say a company requiring you to authenticate your game EVERY TIME you start it is a sign that the company doesn't "give a damn". I was unable to authenticate my copy and was locked out of the portion of the game I wanted to play. As a customer that paid for the product I think I should be annoyed at that.

And what solutions have you tried? Wrote to Mojang? Tried uninstall and reinstall everything?

Oh thanks for that valuable advice I think I will stick to acting like a customer that paid for a product and was denied access to that product because of the crappy drm authentication servers.

I'm not saying I don't understand your frustration, because I totally do, but there are reasons these things exist, and you getting angry and insulting Mojang isn't going to fix anything. Calm down, man.

I mean I don't actually care if you insult Mojang. Don't get me wrong. But seriously, calm down. Life goes on. YOU'RE NOT BEING VERY CHARMING, CHARLIE.

And what solutions have you tried? Wrote to Mojang? Tried uninstall and reinstall everything?

When I first had the problem of connecting to Minecraft.net to authenticate my copy of the game I did a reboot of my PC. Then when I still had no success I rebooted my router, still no success I checked my ISP's status page to see if there were any technical issues. Then I checked the minecraft forums to see if anyone else was having problems and yes there was a thread indicating there were problems with the authentication servers.

So it isn't like I went "oh minecraft.net is screwing around I will go and rage". Yes I appreciate Mojang has to protect their work but having to authenticate the game every single damn time we start the game seems extremely excessive to me. It is certainly something I would never accept from the big name publishers (hence I don't buy Ubisoft stuff).

Ah well the "did you nick the game" servers appear to be working again for now.

Krovan

Neo Member
A server has the option of requiring you to be logged in or not, it's not a requirement by mojang (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Server.properties -> see "online-mode"). Requiring login in allows for a) skins b) better security. If joe shmoe can get on your server and the only mechanism to allow you to lock down his permissions is some IP checking system, you're asking for a multitude of problems. This has nothing to do with authenticating that you own a copy of minecraft, and everything to do with security of a multiplayer environment.

Myth Busted you don't have to authenticate every time, it's a server's prerogative, you can skip login if you want. Press button; receive minecraft.

Myth Busted these are not drm authentication servers, these are identity confirmation servers that allow for security in consuming application servers without requiring them to maintain their own database of user profiles etc.
Myth Confirmed the login system is crappy, either get a good load balancer setup, scale your database better, or buy some new servers; something's not working here 'jang.

Huh! I did not know all of that. Learn something new every day. Guess I was dead wrong about the reasons for authentication. Time for a heaping plate of crow.

Ranger X

When I first had the problem... *story*, etc.

I didn't need more justifications, I was simply and honestly asking you what type of troubleshooting you went through. I'm not trying to debate anything, you can have your reasons for liking or not how Minecraft system works and that's fine.
It's just that if all fails, I would have uninstalled and reinstalled the client just to see if that helps. You can also backup your world before doing so I think.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't even touched enchanting yet, nor alchemy, nor the nether. I'm still working on my base and exploring my island.

The Nether either pisses me off or is incredibly rewarding, depending on my mood. One thing that's frustrating to me is that ghasts see you and shoot at you from further away than you can hit them with arrows sometimes. That's complete horseshit. My warp put me really high up in the air so I had to build a staircase really far downwards, which is hard as hell on its on, but nearly impossible when you add ghasts to the equation.

But, I now have a tiny safe house in the Nether with an enclosed staircase that leads all the way to the ground floor near a stronghold bridge. From there I mined my way into the stronghold so I have safe passage throughout it. I still haven't found any netherwart mushrooms, but at least now I can get around the Nether without too much hassle. I also killed one of the blaze spawners, so I don't have to worry about those things too much. I left one of them active so I could farm the blaze rods though.

Because of the potion brewing, I have spent more time in the Nether in 1.0 than all of my time in the Nether combined before 1.0. At first it's a Hellish bullshit area that just pissed me off but now I feel like I know my way around. It makes me excited to check out the Endermen area. But damn, I should really be playing Skyrim. A $60 DL game on Steam is getting no love because of this cartoony lego simulator I got for $14 forever ago lol. I have to say, 1.0 is definitely the best Minecraft has ever felt to me.

Wichu

So Notch is handing over Minecraft to Jeb, so he can work on a new project. Let's hope it's as good as Minecraft is :)

Mengy

So Notch is handing over Minecraft to Jeb, so he can work on a new project. Let's hope it's as good as Minecraft is :)

I'm actually okay with this. Jeb, at least to me, seems like a more capable programmer than Notch anyway. And Jeb was responsible for some of the best updates in the past half year. I don't think Jeb is as creative as Notch, but the game is pretty much themed out now, all that Jeb needs to do is embellish upon it. And he seems more than up to the task for that. And obviously Notch will still be very involved in Minecraft design, it's not that big of an office, lol.

Some of the things I hope to see Jeb add in the future:

- birds during the day
- underwater features, or at least underwater plant life and more water mobs
- stained glass
- diving helmet
- mining helmet
- rare underground biomes
- alternate versions of the standard mobs, different colors and strengths, even "boss" versions
- farmable cocoa, or at least more ways to get it or make it
- wheat blocks to make thatch roofs
- carpets, similar to how paintings work now but on the floor
- vehicles (nothing outlandish, just larger boats with storage space and hang gliders)
- ridable pigs and cows, player controlled, we don't need horses added!
- storage saddles for said pigs and cows, allow us to transport materials over distance
- make powered minecart trains worthwhile please
- mod support built in
- colored lighting
- rare volcanos

That's just off the top of my head...

Juravsky

Some of the things I hope to see Jeb add in the future:

- birds during the day
- underwater features, or at least underwater plant life and more water mobs
- stained glass
- diving helmet
- mining helmet
- rare underground biomes
- alternate versions of the standard mobs, different colors and strengths, even "boss" versions
- farmable cocoa, or at least more ways to get it or make it
- wheat blocks to make thatch roofs
- carpets, similar to how paintings work now but on the floor
- vehicles (nothing outlandish, just larger boats with storage space and hang gliders)
- ridable pigs and cows, player controlled, we don't need horses added!
- storage saddles for said pigs and cows, allow us to transport materials over distance
- make powered minecart trains worthwhile please
- mod support built in
- colored lighting
- rare volcanos

That's just off the top of my head...

All that and some purpose for NPC villages (including a better NPC AI).

Ranger X

Let's also hope he's not a stubborn arse.

Generally speaking, the more creative and deciding people you have at once will lead to more diluted and generic ideas. You know when you play that generic game that seems created by focus group? Well that's exactly what you have the chance to do.

I truly hope Notch continues to actually be stubborn and lead his designs, just like most the grand creative directors of this world. Diluted ideas are horseshit.

Xun

Generally speaking, the more creative and deciding people you have at once will lead to more diluted and generic ideas. You know when you play that generic game that seems created by focus group? Well that's exactly what you have the chance to do.

I truly hope Notch continues to actually be stubborn and lead his designs, just like most the grand creative directors of this world. Diluted ideas are horseshit.
I agree to an extent, but there's just certain elements of the game I think he was too reluctant to change that would've made it better.

Also I approve of your list Mengy! All would be superb additions.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't get why wool regrowth is so hard to implement. It's as easy as adding a timer to the sheep that counts down from a randomized arbitrary number when the wool is sheared, then when it hits 0, change the mob's "has wool" state back from "false" to "true" to change its appearance back. But at least it's coming soon.

The real question is if it will regrow it in the color the sheep was, or back to what it originally started as. Hopefully it remembers its color. Rainbow sheep farms for everyone!

Mengy

The real question is if it will regrow it in the color the sheep was, or back to what it originally started as. Hopefully it remembers its color. Rainbow sheep farms for everyone!

Even though I want the sheep to "remember" their color, I'm guessing they will regrow as white always. From a gameplay perspective, Notch and Jeb are going to want players to have reasons to actively hunt and collect dying materials. If wool regrows as colored, then technically you only need a few dyes of any color to harvest unlimited wool of that color (even though it might take quite a bit of time).

If they retain colors, then I will definitely be making little separate sheep pens for each color, lol!

Top Bottom