• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

I agree to an extent, but there's just certain elements of the game I think he was too reluctant to change that would've made it better.

Sure but at the same time, since we are not creating the game, there's always stuff that we see as "could have been handled better". Well, at least for me, I am so analytic with the games I play that it happens with every single game without exception. This then become "dead data" if you want.

From reddit:
v0OZP.png

:lol

Hopefully Jeb can make this a game.

Honestly, he'll probably get stuff done in a far more timely and efficient manner than notch ever did. Just stick Notch in for QC so we don't end up with style breaking things like those horrid "industrial" mods. More wacky Swedish fantasy plox

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
From reddit:
v0OZP.png

That's funny. And yet I feel it is well deserved too. Notch went after a dream and it payed off for him in spades. I say kudos to him. Now he can sit back and play around with other gaming ideas, because every game developer has lots of ideas, while he pays someone else (who is competent I might add) to take care of his baby. He is high on the hog right now and can afford to do stuff like this. I personally don't think he will ever hit gold like Minecraft again, but at least he has the money and ability to try.

Blizzard

Banned
:lol

Hopefully Jeb can make this a game.
It seems like a sandbox game that offers more building, destroying, and exploration capabilities than most games. I think it would be a pity if everyone were forced to do a RPG quest structure and different playstyles weren't available. Seems like it would lower the appeal, to me.

Ranger X

It's very funny to still read people acting like Minecraft isn't a game of lacks content.
What it "lacks" is linearity and to feed goals to the player... but guess what, it's the point of the game to not be linear and to not tell the goals. It's about you creating your owns.
And when you wish a game was like another one that exist... why not playing the one that exists??

Terraria does have a lot more content than Minecraft, for sure. There's no denying that. It also has a lot of different KINDS of content. Interior decorating is actually a thing in Terraria! Chandeliers! Tables! Chairs! Statues!

Terraria exploration is still more rewarding, in that you get more Cool Shit. Grappling Hooks! C'moooon. It absolutely would not hurt Minecraft to have more stuff like that. I want to go underground, find a mushroom jungle, kill a giant demon eyeball, get a wand that shoots fireballs, and then go back to the surface and build a skyscraper which reaches a floating island, atop which sits a chest holding rocket boots, and then jump down from way up high and not take damage because I'm wearing an amulet that prevents falling damage, and then kill a bunch of zombies, and use their rotten flesh to build a pet zombie* which I can summon and desummon at any time for kicks, and then build an army of them, and go storm my friend's castle with said zombies, and and and

I mean, why not?

That all said, I still think Minecraft is a better game, simply because it's 3D. Exploring in Minecraft is more about finding those cool-looking areas than finding cool toys. That extra dimension adds so much. I really can't trade it away. I like Terraria a lot, but I can't stand on a mountain and look out on all my creations from a distance. Still, I wish Minecraft would have more stuff like that.

*at this point i just started making shit up

Glasswork

It's very funny to still read people acting like Minecraft isn't a game of lacks content.
What it "lacks" is linearity and to feed goals to the player... but guess what, it's the point of the game to not be linear and to not tell the goals. It's about you creating your owns.
And when you wish a game was like another one that exist... why not playing the one that exists??

I'm pretty when people say it lacks content, they mean game mechanics, diverse huntables and killables and different biomes and terrain generation.

The modding community has been very active in expanding on all these things, and people want Notch to officially add them to the game.

Jasoco

Banned
Even though I want the sheep to "remember" their color, I'm guessing they will regrow as white always. From a gameplay perspective, Notch and Jeb are going to want players to have reasons to actively hunt and collect dying materials. If wool regrows as colored, then technically you only need a few dyes of any color to harvest unlimited wool of that color (even though it might take quite a bit of time).

If they retain colors, then I will definitely be making little separate sheep pens for each color, lol!

Good point. Yeah, I wouldn't want to stop hunting dyes. So regrow white.

Jasoco

Banned
Yes. Keep it out. This is Minecraft. Let them implement all the features from it they want, but keep the arguments about which is better somewhere else. I don't want to come home and read a page full of Minecraft vs. Terraria arguing.

Again.

No.

This is a video game discussion forum. Discussion. Key word. Discussion. There's no reason not to talk about something just because some people don't want to see it, especially when it's a valid topic.

Don't read it if you don't want to. Easy enough.

Better yet, supply a new topic, and if it's more interesting, the discussion will naturally shift in that direction.

Jasoco

Banned
So, how about that weird double door bug? For some reason the right door keeps opening when I try to open the left one. Is this happening for anyone else?

Atomski

Whats wrong with discussing a game that was heavily influenced by mincraft.. hell even Notch loved it and has a little random message about it when you start the game.

Im a fan of both games, I just wish MC had more mobs, bosses and a few more items. Im sure most of which can be added by modding.

Hell one of the biggest things is I wish you could walk around with a torch and have it light the world. Im guess that is a problem with using Java though..

Hell one of the biggest things is I wish you could walk around with a torch and have it light the world. Im guess that is a problem with using Java though..

I remember Notch said it was impossible one time. Then a few days later someone modded it and had it working (for SP only). I'll try and find the video...

Edit: [video]

Not sure it still works..

Jasoco

Banned
Because there's already a Terraria thread. I don't talk about Binding of Isaac in Zelda threads. Or Super Meat Boy in Mario threads.

And so on.

Atomski

I remember that to, the mod has been stopped though and no one else seems to be giving it a go. I imagine its just not stable at all. Its one of the many reasons I just wish Minecraft was not a Java game :/.

Well after a little bit of browsing, I found this: Dynamic Lights

But

The mod works in Multiplayer [ *1.0.0 I HAVE NO IDEA* ], yet is clientside, it cannot lag servers. Note however 'dropped' light sources will not necessarily prevent Mobs from Spawning, and neither will your handheld light.

Let me put it this way: Installing Dynamic Lights on a vanilla Minecraft leaves it at whopping 28 FPS (and my PC is very powerful, mind you). Installing Optifine (the smooth version in my case) and then Dynamic Lights Optifine version gives me 60 FPS, at which point my display limits.

So, it's most definitely recommended.

Still neat!

Blizzard

Banned
A moving light source is really that hard, even in Java?

Huh. I never would've guessed.
Dynamic lights and shadows have been one of the roughest things on performance for ages, or so I thought. CryEngine 3 is the only engine I know of that does dynamic lighting very well.

But sure, some simpler form of dynamic lighting should be feasible. I don't know the Minecraft engine details though.

Dynamic lights and shadows have been one of the roughest things on performance for ages, or so I thought. CryEngine 3 is the only engine I know of that does dynamic lighting very well.

But sure, some simpler form of dynamic lighting should be feasible. I don't know the Minecraft engine details though.

Well, I do know it's one of the hardest things, but Minecraft doesn't exactly have the best lighting in the world, is what I was getting at. I would think that at the fidelity the Minecraft engine strives for, a single dynamic light wouldn't be so hard. Guess I was wrong.

We don't want an amazing Crysis 3 dynamic light. Simply a single light source in the camera, like hundreds of 3d games are doing from years ago. Silent Hill 1 for PS1 had it.

silenthill_790screen003.jpg

We don't want an amazing Crysis 3 dynamic light. Simply a single light source in the camera, like hundreds of 3d games are doing from years ago. Silent Hill 1 for PS1 had it.

silenthill_790screen003.jpg

Exactly that, yeah. To say it's "impossible" makes me question Notch's competence as a programmer. Unless Java really IS that bad for game development. I already know it's bad, but that bad? HMMPHH.

Exactly that, yeah. To say it's "impossible" makes me question Notch's competence as a programmer. Unless Java really IS that bad for game development. I already know it's bad, but that bad? HMMPHH.

Well, Notch decided to use java to program a 3D game, and he didn't decided to spend a month to port the game to C++, when the project started to be something serious. If you make an application that require a lot of dynamic data creation, you don't bet in a language that instead of giving full access to create-destroy the data, rely in a garbage collector. He didn't even hire someone to do it in parallel when he started to get money, thinking that maybe sooner or later he would need to port the game to non-java machines (like iPhone or 360), and then also have an optimal PC version that don't require more resources than a lot of 2 years old games.

So no, not the best programmer or even technical advisor in the world.

But, still, is as simple as, when he process the lighting of the canvas, add a light source (like it was a fake torch that create and destroy in the same frame) in the 0,0.

Blizzard

Banned
I tend to suspect that it's something built into the map/chunk format, and/or how textures are rendered on blocks, that makes lighting them dynamically not work well. I guess it's not like we'll ever know though.

I tend to suspect that it's something built into the map/chunk format, and/or how textures are rendered on blocks, that makes lighting them dynamically not work well. I guess it's not like we'll ever know though.

Is not dynamic light. The torches don't cast shadows!

6514612647f86c3f.jpg

THIS is dynamic light.

What we're talking about is to create a torch in the tile where the player is, paint, delete the torch.

BTW, "dynamic lights" (well, moving light sources) in Minecraft. Not only centered in the character, also when you launch torches or pumpkins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq4BU9SUjGU&feature=endscreen&NR=1

rezuth

Oh really? So what is the point of the whole adventure update and that direction?

Jasoco

Banned
Well, even after you "beat" the game, you can still come back in and continue playing which is nice. Anyone beaten it yet? When you kill the dragon and enter the final portal and watch the text ending, does it start you back in the regular world then next time then let you travel between all three dimensions at will?

So is Terraria, and that is pretty much where this all started. Some dude said he wanted more stuff in Minecraft like Terraria, and you went off about Minecraft not needing an endgame goal.

Ranger X

So is Terraria, and that is pretty much where this all started. Some dude said he wanted more stuff in Minecraft like Terraria, and you went off about Minecraft not needing an endgame goal.

Terraria guys went into some direction pretty fast and that actually distinguished their game further. Good for them. This doesn't change my opinion on Minecraft and one game doesnt need to do what another game does. Also, im not aware that I didnt want Minecraft to have explicit goals. Not sure where you want to go with this all. We might just have different opinions you know

I don't know why you're saying this shit at me. I stated no opinions whatsoever regarding the current argument. All I did was clarify something that you apparently misunderstood.

Blizzard

Banned
That's his point.
Whose point? My point is that the game is a game without players being FORCED into such things. Having the option is good, but I think it can be a game in its current state even without forcing people into RPG roles.

This is to counter the person to said hopefully they will make it a game, implying it is not currently a game.

Blizzard

Banned
Uh, the person you quoted.

You guys are ridiculous. I've never seen people get so lost in such a simple conversation. I don't even know what's happening anymore.
Rezuth only posted once in the last several pages, as far as I can tell.

He never expressed a point, only asked a question, correct? My comments were in response to the person who suggested that Minecraft was not a game. Rezuth would have to clarify further as to whether he is talking about that or not. That was the main thing I was commenting on.

I think Jeb is a good choice to carry on the game support.

Top Bottom