• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Vlad

I'm using the new fixed image and it seems they changed water lighting/opacity.

I wonder if this is a bug or if it will be like that from now on? (I sorta like it anyways)

I'm guessing it's a bug. The lighting system is all kinds of screwed up now. Even areas underground are completely lit.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I don't actually completely mind the water being more transparent like that.

I agree, it's actually kind of nice. I'd like to see ocean biomes, where the water color / transparency changes. Kind of like how the water changes for swamps now. Have like a normal ocean biome with the water the way it is in 1.1, a tropical ocean biome with this clear water, the swamp biome water, etc. It would make certain biomes better for scuba diving and clay hunting and such.

Ranger X

I agree, it's actually kind of nice. I'd like to see ocean biomes, where the water color / transparency changes. Kind of like how the water changes for swamps now. Have like a normal ocean biome with the water the way it is in 1.1, a tropical ocean biome with this clear water, the swamp biome water, etc. It would make certain biomes better for scuba diving and clay hunting and such.

It would be awesome to have an opacity that depends how deep the water is. Along the coasts it would be clear as in the latest game image. If you'd go further into the ocean, it would get deeper and more opaque.

Xun

Now that the height is increasing, we should work on the Eiffel Tower at some point.

And as I mentioned on the other page, the Neuschwanstein Castle.

Vlad

Oh hey, hows those redstone lights treating everyone? Need pics!

The problem is that since the lighting engine got screwed up in the snapshot, it's hard to tell how much light the redstone lamps put out, since it's hard to find an area that's actually dark.

EDIT: Duh, or I could just wait until nightfall and check it that way... Pics on the way..

Vlad

Okie dokie, as requested, the new Redstone Lamps:

oGOI7.png

An inactive and active redstone lamp during the day.

0SjLe.png

Nighttime. Active redstone lamp on the left, and a torch on the right for comparison.

I really like them. They work as advertised, and they're pretty plain looking, so they should hopefully fit into a lot of builds.

My only complaint is that it really highlights the need for more ways to activate redstone. Having toggleable lamps really cries out for some sort of light sensor or even a time-of-day sensor.

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Has anybody been able to successfully get minecraft to run from internet storage sites like dropbox?

Ideally id like to enable my own "cloud saving" so that I can access my minecraft world saves from any computer that I can log into dropbox with. I copied my ".minecraft" folder and the exe over to dropbox but that doesnt seem to be enough. Minecraft tries to access the C: by default. Has anyone been able to figure out how to reroute this, or is the data path hardcoded into the program?

I can't wait until 1.2 actually hits. I never really use the snapshots. I pay attention to them, but I don't really download them, so I'm so excited for all the new stuff. Particularly, the Villager AI changes make it look like I can now occupy my towns by throwing a few villagers until they breed to carrying capacity. How exciting!

And what will happen there?
Also, are your autistic? :p

No, lol. Not autistic. Just have some classes in school that are reallllyyyyy boring. Either that or I'm watching or listening to something that occupies my eyes, ears, or brain and just need some busy work to keep my hands busy. The plan is to build a giant castle city inside those walls. It's gonna be a whole ordeal. Working on a bit of moat right now whenever I get bored of working on the walls. Once I finish that, I'll start working on the interior.

Ranger X

No, lol. Not autistic. Just have some classes in school that are reallllyyyyy boring. Either that or I'm watching or listening to something that occupies my eyes, ears, or brain and just need some busy work to keep my hands busy. The plan is to build a giant castle city inside those walls. It's gonna be a whole ordeal. Working on a bit of moat right now whenever I get bored of working on the walls. Once I finish that, I'll start working on the interior.

I hope you'll be able to pull off this awesomeness. I would certainly visit that.

Vlad

But how does it work? I still don't understand!

I've been trying to decontstruct that damn thing for the past couple hours, scouring Youtube videos and such, and here's where I've gotten so far.

There's basically three components to the light sensor:

1. The BUD switch. A BUD switch is a redstone and piston construct that will send out a redstone pulse (a quick on/off signal) when a particular block is updated. Block updates are things like furnaces starting and stopping smelting, pumpkins and melons appearing in a given spot, wheat growing, or grass growing and dying. The sensor that spuit posted uses grass growing and dying as the trigger for the sensor.

2. A T Flip-Flop. I haven't made one myself yet, but from what I've read, a T Flip-Flop will toggle its output for every pulse received on its input.

3. The water over the grass block. Apparently, grass will die when there's water over AND the light level falls too low.

So, here's what looks like what happens:

1. Night fallls.
2. The grass block two below the water source turns back to dirt, due to it not having enough light to survive under the water.
3. This change from grass to dirt triggers the BUD, sending a pulse to the Flip-Flop.
4. The flip flop toggles its output to ON.
5. The ON output is routed to anything that someone wants controlled by the light sensor, and also to a piston located one block below and to the side of the water source block.
6. That piston activates, blocking off the water source, and leaving the grass block below it no longer in contact with the water.
7. Once the sun rises, the grass block that is now no longer underwater is able to be re-grassed from adjacent grass blocks.
8. When the grass regrows, it triggers the BUD again, sending another pulse to the Flip-Flop.
9. The Flip-Flop toggles its output to OFF, turning off the main sensor and retracting the piston below the water source and resetting the sensor back to its original state.

Apparently that version of the sensor suffered from long reset times at sunrise, due to the grass not growing back that quickly, so the guy made another version of it (viewable here)

And as far as the BUD goes, this is a great video explaining how that particular design works.

The one thing that I really don't like about it is that it does rely on what I personally consider to be glitchy behavior with pistons. Basically it's possible to get a piston stuck in an extended position and then be unable to retract unless a block next to it is updated. It seems to work great for now, but it could be like the old minecart boosters and a future bugfix makes this method useless.

MackVee

Neo Member
Aye, it has but be careful. My portal led me straight into a fortress with Blazers everywhere.
Numerous attempts on my life were successful.

defel

If you come across a blaze spawner try not to destroy it if you can. Stick a load of torches around it and encase it in a 9x9x2 box and they should stop spawning. Blaze spawners may be useful for xp grinding later on.

MackVee

Neo Member
Yep. Got one spawner sealed with an iron door in the fortress, but the one behind the Nether portal is a bit tricky to do. It's in slighty exposed and you got Blazes and Ghast double teaming you.

Jasoco

Banned
I just popped onto the server for the first time in forever and man, I don't even know where to start! I need to go do some mining and then find a nice place to build. I just don't want to step on anyones toes or property. Any suggestions? Is there a current map somewhere?

Scirrocco

Hey mineGaf, finally broke down and decided to buy the game, so i hope to see you soon on the server. But i have a question before i do. Is there anyway to change your user/display name after register? Most of the ones i normally use are taken, and the one i finally got i'm not totally happy with. Would i need to register again to get a better name?

Rapstah

Hey mineGaf, finally broke down and decided to buy the game, so i hope to see you soon on the server. But i have a question before i do. Is there anyway to change your user/display name after register? Most of the ones i normally use are taken, and the one i finally got i'm not totally happy with. Would i need to register again to get a better name?

You could try e-mailing the developers, but outside of that I don't think there's any way.

legacyzero

Banned
I just popped onto the server for the first time in forever and man, I don't even know where to start! I need to go do some mining and then find a nice place to build. I just don't want to step on anyones toes or property. Any suggestions? Is there a current map somewhere?
Skycity is free to build on, and there are probably some open plots in Domecity as well.

Morokh

I kind-of have the same problem :p

I found a place to start a little mining operation somewhere that seems to be mostly unexplored not too far from Skycity, and was able to grab some essentials to start with, but yesterday I just walked randomly around existing constructions and in more wild areas to find a spot to settle down my first main shelter, and damn it's hard to find a place, it always seems like you are stepping on someone's toes xD

I'll definitely build something in Skycity at one point, but my first idea is really to start building some sort of 'main base' with a little bit of everything in it.

Well I kind of have an idea of a tower that I started working-on in creative mode but it doesn't fit the style of actual cities, could fit with Skycity in a sense that, if build nearby, it could be linked to it when reaching the same height, or 'plugged' in a floating island but first, I don't know it that would be alright with everyone, and second that may need some crazy amount of terraforming, or island building to be able to start, so i'm kind of torn, will need to think about that a little more ...

Speaking of Skycity I guess that there will be a 'South' island built at some point, but as I was looking at the free plot, right of the spawn, i was asking myself if the square-medieval looking tower that was built there wouldn't be in the way.

Jasoco

Banned
Lol Lucille is my role model. I have a folder full of gifs of her.
You're like a weirder version of fistful. May he rest in peace.

Also, you guys should have waited for the height bump to create sky city. Would be soooo much cooler way up in the air.

Rapstah

You're like a weirder version of fistful. May he rest in peace.

Also, you guys should have waited for the height bump to create sky city. Would be soooo much cooler way up in the air.

Nothing preventing us from keeping building when the limit is raised.

Ranger X

The new terrain generation version with added height and jungles is really fucking cool. I can try to put pictures here tonight if you guys want, anyways, it's the best Minecraft ever been.

There are cliffs in jumgles that are really tall. In fact it's in all the biomes, even the plains have some little hills. What's best is that the biomes sometimes are mixed a little. You can have plains with a very small region of forest for example. The biomes also blend pretty well and this gives mutiple different colors than biomes don't normally have.

Right now there's a bug that prevent ravines and caves to generate but it will be fixed for release and it will become the best terrain generation Minecraft ever fucking seen!

jumped back into the server, saved myself what I think's a reasonable plot on East Skyland. If there's any problems please let me know and I'll do what I can. Can't wait to get to building on it! Much respect to those who built the base too, must've taken ages.

Rapstah

The new terrain generation version with added height and jungles is really fucking cool. I can try to put pictures here tonight if you guys want, anyways, it's the best Minecraft ever been.

There are cliffs in jumgles that are really tall. In fact it's in all the biomes, even the plains have some little hills. What's best is that the biomes sometimes are mixed a little. You can have plains with a very small region of forest for example. The biomes also blend pretty well and this gives mutiple different colors than biomes don't normally have.

Right now there's a bug that prevent ravines and caves to generate but it will be fixed for release and it will become the best terrain generation Minecraft ever fucking seen!

Oh boy. I hope we're getting ready for a good shave of unused areas in the server map now if that's possible. That sounds better than what we reset for at launch, and I don't want another reset.

legacyzero

Banned
jumped back into the server, saved myself what I think's a reasonable plot on East Skyland. If there's any problems please let me know and I'll do what I can. Can't wait to get to building on it! Much respect to those who built the base too, must've taken ages.
The first and the third one weren't too bad because they were built from the bottom up.

However, with the North Island, a few members had suggested that we build it from top to bottom.

WORST IDEA EVER. Especially since I wanted the island to be so thick. (like 5-6 layers)

The East island was the quickest though, mainly thanks to Charlie.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Oh boy. I hope we're getting ready for a good shave of unused areas in the server map now if that's possible. That sounds better than what we reset for at launch, and I don't want another reset.

We aren't resetting again. Charlie would have a dome sized seizure if we did! Besides, now with our nether reset and with the new biome data changes coming in 1.2 we really shouldn't have to reset again for a very, very long time.

No, Neocraft is only going to grow in it's current world until one of two things happen:

1. we get bored of it and all WANT a reset
2. the map file size grows so incredibly large that we have to reset and start over (currently Neocraft is around 830 MB)

We are going to have to explore outward though after 1.2 in order to find some jungle biomes though.

Rapstah

We aren't resetting again. Charlie would have a dome sized seizure if we did! Besides, now with our nether reset and with the new biome data changes coming in 1.2 we really shouldn't have to reset again for a very, very long time.

No, Neocraft is only going to grow in it's current world until one of two things happen:

1. we get bored of it and all WANT a reset
2. the map file size grows so incredibly large that we have to reset and start over (currently Neocraft is around 830 MB)

We are going to have to explore outward though after 1.2 in order to find some jungle biomes though.

I was suggesting that we removed some unused but explored areas of the current map file to leave room for closer jungles and new biomes, not that we were to have another reset.

Toki1776

I was suggesting that we removed some unused but explored areas of the current map file to leave room for closer jungles and new biomes, not that we were to have another reset.

This could be done, though we would have to cut the file size down by half to be able to easily upload it to Multiplay again... If I get time, I might try to look into it, see if it's possible.

Im coming down with a heavy dose of procrastinationlitis. I seem to want to do a lot of Minecraft project but have not the time or the patience to see the through.

So I start some but dont come even complete to complete them. :(

PS - Could someone tell which site you guys use here on GAF to upload images? Thanks.

Morokh

The little plot in Skycity that was just right of the spawn point has been claimed, and Skycity now has a boat rental shop :p

Still have to polish some things and make the dock bigger, but it's mostly done.

Top Bottom