• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Toki1776 said:
Found out how to get the bed to change my spawn point. If you get in the bed, then click "Leave Bed", it will change your spawn point.

I don't have a "Leave bed" option. Is that a multiplayer thing?

Toki1776

Barberetti said:
I don't have a "Leave bed" option. Is that a multiplayer thing?

Hmm... I guess it is. :( And here I thought I had some helpful information.
Well, that's how you can do it in multiplayer, anyway... :p

Edit: yeah, that seems to be the problem... The only way to change your spawn point is by leaving the bed before you sleep, which is impossible to do on singleplayer. Well, I'm sure this one will be taken care of soon.

Toki1776 said:
Hmm... I guess it is. :( And here I thought I had some helpful information.
Well, that's how you can do it in multiplayer, anyway... :p

lol oh well, I guess I'll be playing v1.4_01 pretty soon then.

Wool

WolfofMebu said:
If you want to update but still be able to play on the servers while the are still on the previous version you will need to make a copy of "bin" folder that is in the ".minecraft" folder before you update.

Once you update and want to downgrade you can replace all the files in the "bin" folder with the files from the copied "bin" folder except the "version" file and you should be good to go.

Then once you want to update again you just delete the "version" file in the "bin" folder and it should update.

If you have already upgraded you will have to find a way to get the previous version "bin" files to downgrade with.

Thanks a lot, it worked! I am the only one on the server though....

Ranger X

Barberetti said:
lol oh well, I guess I'll be playing v1.4_01 pretty soon then.

Makes me wonder though... can't they test their patch like... once before releasing? It's pretty hilarious this bed story.

Mikor

lemon__fresh said:
Exano needs to update

:(

Not happening until the necessary plugins have updated to support 1.4. As Atomski said earlier in the thread, it wont be happening for at least a couple of days, if not longer.

If you want to play on Exano's GAFLand, please rollback your client to 1.3.

Please note that the server administration cannot guarantee compatibility or stability if you attempt to connect to the server with a spoofed client.

Wow. Start a new world and put this word in as your seed:

Chegotena

Amazing. I imagine some poor bastard started his first game in this spawn point.

Ranger X said:
Makes me wonder though... can't they test their patch like... once before releasing? It's pretty hilarious this bed story.

Yeah lol. No idea how that even manages to happen.

Edit:

Mama Robotnik said:

Chegotena

Amazing. I imagine some poor bastard started his first game in this spawn point.
That scared the living fuck out of me.

Pretty awesome seed.

BooJoh

2011-03-31_221153.png

Took me quite a while to find him. I wandered far from my spawn, started building a second home, and then about a week later in-game time I was out chopping wood and found him wandering alone near my stairs.

FWIW my spawn is in a snow biome, but the area I'm at now seems like a rainforest type area with deserts nearby. I think wolves are just really rare, and not biome-dependant.

Also, I saw brown and pink sheep.

Jasoco

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:

Chegotena

Wow. Spawning inside a skeleton dungeon. Thankfully I fumbled my way out.

Ranger X

Already got my dog pound and I tamed a wolf. Took me like 5 mins because he actually spawned near my settlement. I didn't had to search for him. I will try and see how many wolves I can tame and keep there...

Oh and I couldn't find a brown, pink sheep or cocoa so far. :/

Dogpound.png

:p

Jasoco

Banned
Found a pack of wolves in that other world we just tried. But now I need to find one in my current world. So just to be sure, once you tame them, they will stay. Right? Also, do they follow you? And if you go into a portal, will they come with you or will they stay outside the exit, or will they respawn at home as if to say they just go home and wait for you?

BooJoh

From what I understand, wolves won't go into the Nether, but will wait for you to return. They won't move if you tell them to sit. If they're not sitting and you wander too far, they'll warp to you (I think, haven't tested) so I'm not sure if they'll warp from the Nether gate you entered to another you came out of.

And they're supposed to stay with you. I'm guessing they can and will die from fall damage though, so feed them regularly.

And just to reassure anyone else who's trying, I've now found three on peaceful. You will need at least two bones to tame each one though, pork won't tame them. I was fortunate enough to have a skeleton spawner near my spawn so I build a small grinder there.

EDIT: One last tip: If you're having trouble getting your new puppy to come inside because of the goofy pathing, make him sit and push him through the door.

Ranger X

BooJoh said:
If they're not sitting and you wander too far, they'll warp to you

I can confirm this. This is how I learn that I needed them to sit in order for me to collect them into my dog pound.

Jasoco

Banned
BooJoh said:
From what I understand, wolves won't go into the Nether, but will wait for you to return. They won't move if you tell them to sit. If they're not sitting and you wander too far, they'll warp to you (I think, haven't tested) so I'm not sure if they'll warp from the Nether gate you entered to another you came out of.

And they're supposed to stay with you. I'm guessing they can and will die from fall damage though, so feed them regularly.

And just to reassure anyone else who's trying, I've now found three on peaceful. You will need at least two bones to tame each one though, pork won't tame them. I was fortunate enough to have a skeleton spawner near my spawn so I build a small grinder there.

EDIT: One last tip: If you're having trouble getting your new puppy to come inside because of the goofy pathing, make him sit and push him through the door.
Good to know. Funny. I had only gotten one bone from killing a skeleton in that dungeon spawn then wandered a long way to find them. So I didn't get to tame one. Hopefully I won't have any problems finding some in my regular world.

It will be neat if they're like Epona where if you are far away, they reappear off in the distance and run to you instead of just appearing near you. Even neater if you could craft a dog whistle that would A) make your pack run to you even if they're doing something else and B) attract any nearby wolves in the area if they exist. (It wouldn't make them spawn, as that would make it too easy, just make ones that happened to spawn make themselves known.)

It'd either require two or three iron or gold bars in a vertical row. Or something. I dunno. Let Mojang figure that one out.

Jasoco

Banned
Atomski said:
I havent seen a single wolf yet :(.
They're rare, but apparently show up in packs. I wandered a good distance before finding a half dozen of them bounding around the wooded area.

Heysoos

Atomski said:
I havent seen a single wolf yet :(.

It took me a loooong time to find my first pack. After that though, I've seen like 6 more wolves spawn near my home. Currently have ~20. :D Once I got the first 4 they just kept popping up.

Jasoco

Banned
QAIho.png

Painterly Pack was updated faster than I expected. There's only a couple wolf textures though. I like the Corgies so far. The others are Wolfdog, Ninjadog and Corgie with sunglasses. DEAL. WITH. IT. The glasses were funny, but I opted for the ones without them.

Would like to see collies.

Found three of them not far from home. But only two wanted to domesticate. One after 2 bones. One after 3. The third refused to domesticate and ate so many bones. So I left him behind. These two are mine now. The problem is it seems when you get only a few meters from them they respawn right next to you. And as I was walking south back home, one of them kept appearing right in front of me as I was walking. The other was lagging behind but keeping up. I dunno.

Problem is I wish I could tell how much health they had. Also, I never know what button to click with what item. I accidentally hit one twice. I feel bad. :(

parasight

Jasoco said:
Problem is I wish I could tell how much health they had. Also, I never know what button to click with what item. I accidentally hit one twice. I feel bad. :(

The height of the tail indicates health. The higher the better.

strata8

Am I the only one that gets really slow chunk loading since the 1.3 saving system update? It's almost impossible to explore since I can't see interesting land marks in the distance.

Jasoco

Banned
parasight said:
The height of the tail indicates health. The higher the better.
Really? Neat!

Now I wish they would make mobs smart enough to walk into a fire. I have to put glass covers over all my open decorative fires now because I had both of them walk into a fire.

Also, make it so they don't blindly walk off cliffs if the owner is still up on their level. I'm going to have to put railings in my pyramid too.

God, it's like taking care of a baby. I have to dog-proof my Minecraft world!

Grinchy

Banned
NotTarts said:
Am I the only one that gets really slow chunk loading since the 1.3 saving system update? It's almost impossible to explore since I can't see interesting land marks in the distance.
Does that mean when big chunks of the world never appear and you can see through the land? I have been having that happen lately too if so.

Also, how high does the tail get when the wolf's health is full? Is it at full when the tail is just a little bit higher than the body? I can't get it to go past that.

Ranger X said:

Yeah it's a pretty silly thing to let slip through. Hopefully they'll have it patched quickly. Oh well, I've got a minecart track linking my spawn point to my base, and it's about 1000 blocks long. I was going to dismantle it earlier because the new spawn point would have made it redundant. Glad I left it alone now lol.

Jasoco said:
God, it's like taking care of a baby. I have to dog-proof my Minecraft world!

Yeah I'm sticking to 1 for now, less hassle. Good luck keeping your 100 under control if you actually go for that many :p

Right, I went exploring for a bit and left my wolf at my base, which is built in the middle of the ocean. When I got to land, he hadn't warped to me so I shrugged and figured it was because I didn't command him to sit first. After a couple of in game days, and some fun with a semi-submerged dungeon in the desert containing a skeleton spawner, I got back to base and my wolf is nowhere to be found.

So, maybe he jumped into the ocean and drowned while trying to follow me? Going to command my next wolf to sit when I go exploring later, and see what happens.

Grinchy

Banned
For some reason I felt like building a huge hot dog. I'm still looking into adding condiments.

I've literally built this thing over night on Asscraft haha...

uvsXZ.png

bengraven

I wish wolves were aggro. Even just during night like spiders.

Grinchy said:
For some reason I felt like building a huge hot dog. I'm still looking into adding condiments.

I've literally built this thing over night on Asscraft haha...

uvsXZ.png

Lava would make great chili.

Wichu

By the way, is anyone else having problems with Minecraft on Mac OS X? Occasionally, when I close Minecraft using the close button on the window, my Mac locks up and stops responding completely... I can't quit with Cmd + Q, so the only safe way to close it is to Force Quit it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
1.4 made me pick up Minecraft again for the first time in months. I don't really have a special or unique story. I was just surprised (again) at how the game manages to work its way into my psychology.

Was mining a diagonal staircase down. Broke my way into a cavern I was going to have to drop down into. Used shift to peak my way around, didn't see any bad guys. JUST as I was about to drop down into the cavern, suddenly a creeper out of nowhere.

I literally yelled "OH SHIT OH SHIT" and managed to save myself. Resident Evil didn't do that. Silent Hill didn't make me do that. Only Minecraft.

My wife was watching at the time and asked me why this blocky game gets me so nervous and worked up. I didn't really know what to say. I don't know why it's so scary. It just is. Maybe it's so scary because there is a very real chance to lose what you're carrying, whereas other horror games don't have true death penalties?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ranger X said:
Anyone having the brown and pink sheep appearing in single player??

Lots of brown, but no pink.

Ranger X

kinoki said:
Lots of brown, but no pink.

I am really not lucky because I've wandered around and got alot of wolves but I never ever saw a brown sheep. Did you notice them appearing only in certain biome or something?

animlboogy said:
Badass! I'm going to find that and make more food!

"Food town" would be an awesome theme.

Xun said:
Do you have to make a new world to get the wolves? I'm unable to find any yet... :(

Nope they'll spawn in your old worlds as well. They're fairly rare though. Apparently they spawn in forest and taiga biomes.

Edit: I'm not sure how accurate the biome stuff is tbh, I have two tamed wolves that showed up around my house which isn't in a taiga or forest biome.

Dante23

Xun said:
Do you have to make a new world to get the wolves? I'm unable to find any yet... :(

No, but at first it may be difficult to find them if you keep around your spawn/main base, but try going in a direction for a good while, I think the odds of wolves appearing are high when the game loads a new chunk. Yesterday I did that and I tamed 3 wolves of a pack of 4. They are now outside of my floating house.

RDC9F.png

Wool

This game has one of the best soundtracks I have heard in a long time. Some games will just constantly play the same song over and over, but the way the music in this game just starts playing every half hour or so really adds to the charm of it I think.

This is my favorite: C418 - Piano 3

Top Bottom