• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

BooJoh

"Complete"? Sure. Perfect? Far from it. And I don't mean that as an insult to the game's quality, just that there's literally no end to the things that could be added to Minecraft to improve the experience even more. One thing I'd love to see is more versatile building options, particularly for furniture.

I think the modular furniture suggested in pictures here would be ideal: http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/furniture_decorations_dye_and_aesthetic_blocks

Once we got basic furniture (bed, chair, table), the game is basically done in my opinion...well outside of the modding support.

hope not!

Im hoping for a few more game modes....like a "get to point B" scenario, where you might not even know where point B is until you have a compass.

Would also love to see a mulitplayer mode based off the TV show Mantracker.... player 1 spawns in random world, half hour later player2 spawns and has to find player 1.

Anyone think that threats against our castles will ever be realistically (natural disasters or megabeasts)?

Qwomo

OldmanAndroid said:
Anyone think that threats against our castles will ever be realistically (natural disasters or megabeasts)?
Sentence fragment notwithstanding, yes, this is the ultimate goal of Minecraft IMO.

The day I repel a goblin horde from my castle is the day that Minecraft will be forever complete.

parasight

I'm legitimately afraid of when they introduce Achievements. I'm so glued to the game without objectives, and I'm an achievement whore on 360. Thank goodness my term is over after next week.

When Notch decide that Minecraft is "finished" (i hope that still some years ago), what he has to do is (instad of simply making it open source) to create a mod-addon system to allow to add the mods easier, with a set of libraries to allow installing easily the mods drawing it in a folder, and spend a few hours each week to look and approve some addons as official, checking that they don't create incompatibilities and including them in the main build, with a special menu to trigger on and off each "approved" addon.

Also, approving a list of enhanced receipts from mods, in order to be "official", even if it's done by other people.

Jhriad

Grinchy said:
This is such an awesome mining strategy. I have found a couple dozen diamonds in very short mining sessions thanks to this.

Glad you found it useful. :)

mrklaw said:
My first session trying this method, I was bounded on most sides by open caverns full of lava, and underground waterfalls).

You sure you're at 13.6 high and staying at that height? (y=13.6) I ask because most lava will start at 11 high so you want the 12 block between you an the lava. Maybe you just got unlucky with the starting position. *shrug*

Ranger X

Campster said:
This is what interests me about Minecraft, but not for the reasons you'd think.

Minecraft's entire success, as wonderful as it's been, has been predicated on the idea that its customers aren't buying a finished game but an ongoing experiment. The free updates have come for months, providing new materials, biomes, items, crafting recipes, and even an occasional new mechanic like The Nether or fishing. It's what keeps the game fresh, it's what keeps the communities coming back week after week. Everyone wants to know what the next mobs will be, what the new additions to the level generation systems are, what the new treasures they'll be able to find in the deep crevices of the earth.

But Notch has made it clear he doesn't want Minecraft to be his life's work. He's stated openly he has plans to "finish" the game, and likely soon. Mojang has already started deveopment on a second game, and one way or another development on Minecraft will eventually stop. Which makes me worry about what the eventual backlash will be like. It's going to happen, one way or another, and I can't see the updates stopping without half of the Minecraft community screaming bloody murder that the $15 game they've sunk 200 hours into is ripping them off and that Notch is turning his back on the people who made him successful.

Which is particularly concerning because so many other indies are looking to thise business model for inspiration. The ability to release a playable but not quite polished game for cheap in order to build a critical mass of popularity and support has obvious benefits, but I think that we haven't seen a successful example of it yet. Most games just release a buggy, half-finished mess and don't reach that Minecraft-style critical mass, resulting in a project that falls apart shortly after release... or you have Minecraft, which has been wildly successful but is in the unenviable position of having an audience that expects content regularly, for free, and for the foreseeable future.

I didn't know about the bolded. I hope it's like the other poster said that he would continue until it's unprofitable anymore. One thing is for sure in my humble opinion: His goldmine is Minecraft. It's sad if he doesn't realise the potential this game is having. In fact, I sincerely doubt he realise or care...

Anyhow, I agree generally with what you said up there but I would say that this model cannot work is the game isn't interesting and good from the get go. A game following this model need an instant novelty/appeal and a great promise of potential devellopment for this way of doing things to work. This is why I think that Minecraft is a success more because of the nature and concept of the game itself a little more than it's business model. I think the fact it's an open and one of the first true "sandbox" games to exist is the appeal, gamers being conscious of that or not. Just the reaction from people and the amount of modding out there prove this point.

I think the sandbox game is the last "new game genre" that will appear and it will be a fucking gold mine. It is inevitably the game genre that will someday be in the forefromt as it can incorporate any other genre in itself. It's the type of game that could become the next big MMO style, a genre stuck in the Everquest model even today. This genre is probably the only game that could and would eventually take over World of Warcraft. Anyhow, I see the sandbox genre as determinent in gaming's future and it's a freaking goldmine. I am 200% sure of that. Notch is C_R_A_Z_Y if he mess up or doesn't care too much for Minecraft.

I am one to pray that the uber fail Scrolls will endure might bring back some sense into Notch...

DangerousDave said:
When Notch decide that Minecraft is "finished" (i hope that still some years ago), what he has to do is (instad of simply making it open source) to create a mod-addon system to allow to add the mods easier, with a set of libraries to allow installing easily the mods drawing it in a folder, and spend a few hours each week to look and approve some addons as official, checking that they don't create incompatibilities and including them in the main build, with a special menu to trigger on and off each "approved" addon.

Also, approving a list of enhanced receipts from mods, in order to be "official", even if it's done by other people.

This is a freaking wonderful idea. I hope Notch would do that. This could almost effortlessly bring him an income.

Grinchy

Banned
mrklaw said:
you still need a bed.

And I like the idea the more I think about it. It encourages you to wander away from the spawn point and explore more, without worrying too much about finding your way back if you die. Thats not reducing the difficulty so much - more reducing the frustration and trudging
That's definitely true. I didn't actually understand the process of setting your own spawn, but that made it much more clear. It sounds like a very minecrafty way to do things. I definitely feel discouraged to build far away from my spawn as it is, so maybe now I won't mind it.

Arozay

acksman said:
Same thing with me as well. I loaded up the HQ mod then the Minecraft 4 kids mod.

When I go to the inventory at times other times it is random, the screen will go black.

The error on the console that I use to load the mod is saying out of memory, but looking at my stats on my computer says otherwise.
Leaving the nether triggers it for me, so it's something to do with reloading the world.

parasight

How come everyone keeps pointing to the Scrolls game like Notch has much of anything to do with it? He stated on his blog that it's not his project. The team working on it is led by the guy he co-founded Mojang with.

Notch said:
I figure most people reading this blog cares mostly about Minecraft development, so let me just say that I won’t be involved in the day to day development of Scrolls. Jakob, one of the guys I started Mojang with, is developing it, and has been since we started the company.

http://notch.tumblr.com

Giard

Giard said:
Small question, my friend is hosting a SMP server and I would like to give him a mod that removes terrain damage from Creeper explosions. What is it called and how can he install it?
Our spawn point looks like Normandy and we can't fix it, game doesn't want us to build around the spawn point it seems.

Bumping this for the new page. Didn't find much on Google, any help would be appreciated.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Whenever Notch has talked about "finishing" Minecraft he means actually releasing the game. It's still in beta, remember. I think Notch will probably move on to a new project eventually while still keeping development going on Minecraft as long as it keeps selling.

Pretty sure the intention has always been to "finish" development of vanilla Minecraft at some point, but continue adding content via patches and expansion packs.

The goal of "finishing" something has kept him motivated this long.

DarkKyo

KAruX.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I'm going to take a break from my house to start a new project. I never did find any clay to make my chimney out of brick.

D7xzh.png

5JH0r.png

I'm thinking about making an entire Target store. I just feel like it'll be easier to get a bunch of red wool than any color other than yellow.

I've only started the opening so far. It'll have glass and doors and all. Then the actual rectangular store would be behind it.

zDdDn.png

It would take a TON of sand, and a manageable amount of stone, not to mention red wool, and white wool. But I'm pretty sure I can at least make the shell of the building.

Grinchy

Banned
Qwomo said:
What program is that, Grinchy?

Oh it's just photoshop. I just make a blank/transparent canvas and zoom in far enough to draw things in pixel by pixel. You can keep the first layer blue if you want to be able to see white squres better.

Actually this is the first time I've ever tried planning something out. It seems like it would make building really easy.

Qwomo

Grinchy said:
Oh it's just photoshop. I just make a blank/transparent canvas and zoom in far enough to draw things in pixel by pixel. You can keep the first layer blue if you want to be able to see white squres better.

Actually this is the first time I've ever tried planning something out. It seems like it would make building really easy.
Not a bad idea, actually! I'll try my hand at this next time I have a big project that needs planning.

Ranger X

My little settlement is almost complete!
That's a good thing the update is coming because I am starting to see me slowing down on the game if nothing was happening. Anyways, here's my little house...

maison01.png

The main room with some nice carpet and a glowstone lamp.

maison02.png

Living room with couch, TV, ...

maison03.png

... and a Nether gate.

maison04.png

Outside you can also see my "facilities". Mob grinder, Cobblestone generator and Lava pit.

facilities.png

I will continue to add spawning floors to my mob grinder I guess...

r1chard

Ranger X said:
My little settlement is almost complete!
Outside you can also see my "facilities". Mob grinder, Cobblestone generator and Lava pit.
Wow, that's a pretty nice setup you've made yourself there :)

What's the layout of your mob grinder?

Ranger X

r1chard said:

I will be doing a new spawning floor probably tomorrow and I'll show you my layout then.

r1chard

Damn, I thought they'd fixed the buggy monster-spawning beds :-(

I think the terrain generation might've been tweaked too. I just started a new map and the contents down around layer 14 (y=13.6) has lots of lava pools (consistently spread over quite a large area). It used to be that that layer and above was pretty lava-free except for the occasional rare laval flow.

Ranger X said:
I will be doing a new spawning floor probably tomorrow and I'll show you my layout then.
Cool, thanks!

civilstrife said:
Pretty sure the intention has always been to "finish" development of vanilla Minecraft at some point, but continue adding content via patches and expansion packs.

The goal of "finishing" something has kept him motivated this long.

Yeah, I read somewhere that they are planning to "finish" Minecraft this year, but then development will continue with expansions and such but it may no longer be their top priority.

http://notch.tumblr.com/

The weirdest night of my life!

I feel like James Bond.
Or, rather, I feel like a geeky kid who just finished playing James Bond for a few hours and wants to tell all his friends about what happened.

Yesterday, a rather spontaneous rich guy dropped by the office to meet and greet, which was fairly awesome. We had a short meeting where everyone said what they did and what we thought about the future and so, and as he left, he invited three of us along to fly to London with his private jet to go to a party where a famous musician was playing. That was even more awesome.

I immediately said yes. Then I called my fiancee to make sure it was ok. ;)

We arrived at the party at about midnight, where there was a table reserved for us. There were rich people and various hang-arounds everywhere, but the mood was very relaxed and energetic. The music was brilliant, and the entertainment even more so. People got drunk, people smoked on balconies, and we ended up in a hotel suite eating white bread and some kind of peanut butter/gingerbread paste.

After catching some very brief sleep in our own hotel rooms (paid for by Mr Rich (thank you, sir! (I wonder if he’s reading my blog..))), we flew back to Stockholm just in time for a meeting with a potential new employee.

It’s amazing to realize that there are people who actually do this all the time, flying around in private jets, and having assistants who in turn have their own assistants.
As alluring as this lifestyle is, strangely I’m more excited about the fact that the oscilloscope I ordered last week finally arrived and is waiting for me back home.

Jasoco

Banned
BobJustBob said:
Yeah, I read somewhere that they are planning to "finish" Minecraft this year, but then development will continue with expansions and such but it may no longer be their top priority.
I think as long as they get proper modding support in there, it won't matter if they slow development because the modding community would be so far ahead.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jasoco said:
I think as long as they get proper modding support in there, it won't matter if they slow development because the modding community would be so far ahead.

True, I'm starting to think also that Notch should focus on the infrastructure instead of content, with modding support being the number one priority at this point.

Although, I don't think that was his initial plan months ago, but it's kind of morphed into it.

Ranger X

I for one would hope Notch get inspired by the strong modding scene and actually continue to update the game, making similar features, inspired by features or again making some mods official and bug free.

Notch most probably does not realise this but Minecraft is the boat of his life. It's up to him to miss the cruise or not.

Mikor

Jhriad said:
So now GAFLand has lost the old /home commands? Those were really handy for big cooperative projects. :(

As an FYI, /home was only in place because the rail system was not working properly due to a conflict with Craftbook. The database corruption was NOT intentional, and we obviously did NOT intend for everyone to lose their homes, but please try not to rely too heavily on /home. Exano and I plan on implementing a solution in the near future.

My Steam ID is in my profile - feel free to message me in the future if you continue to have problems that you need a more immediate answer to.

Grinchy

Banned
BobJustBob said:
lol i bet it'll become the top priority again when none of the other games sell even 10% of the copies that Minecraft has/will sell.

@RangerX- Not really a serious question, but how can you stand the original glass?? I really like the original textures but the glass never looked right to me.

Ranger X

Grinchy said:
lol i bet it'll become the top priority again when none of the other games sell even 10% of the copies that Minecraft has/will sell.

@RangerX- Not really a serious question, but how can you stand the original glass?? I really like the original textures but the glass never looked right to me.

hahaha, I like the game to be vanilla so far. Some texture packs are definetely tempting but I still feel like they'd violate the charm somehow. I wasn't in love with glass blocks at first but now I'm ok with them.

Branduil

JohnSmith's feels more like Minecraft to me now than the original textures. Though I did mod the glass so it's transparent for all but a slim outer frame.

Ranger X

r1chard said:

So here's the layout for one spawning floor. You have 6 platforms of 8x8x2 with water currents between each.

SpawningFloor.jpg

The mob are falling into a pool room, where they are all forced to fall into one single stream of water in the middle.

DeathPool.png

That single stream leads them into a drowning tube. You need the upper part of this tube to be made of glass so mobs are sinking down and you need the last 1-2 rows to NOT be glass so spiders aren't going through and drown like everything else. Leave some 1 block space stream of water getting out of the tube at the bottom so you can collect the loot and voila!

DrowningTube.jpg

:)

Jasoco

Banned
Well, looks like they're still working on the game. Notch just tweeted about cookies in 1.4 (That will require cocoa.) and Jeb talked about wolves, but sounded cryptic like they were never implemented. Even though we saw them. And Mollstam said something about weekends and not wanting to release before it.

Also Notch is addicted to that oscilloscope song thing. He even bought one just to see it in person.

Qwomo

That one screenshot looks amazing (probably photoshop), but the rest of it looks fuzzy, busy, and weird. Photorealistic textures seem out of place in Minecraft, IMO.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
I for one would hope Notch get inspired by the strong modding scene and actually continue to update the game, making similar features, inspired by features or again making some mods official and bug free.

Notch most probably does not realise this but Minecraft is the boat of his life. It's up to him to miss the cruise or not.

one of his more recent blog posts talked about a future release having a modding API, so he seems definitely interested in supporting that more strongly.

BooJoh

notch: We're focusing on doing an update today, but stats and achievements are getting pushed back to the next update because they don't work
Better to get part of the update soon and the rest later than for the whole thing to be delayed.

AFAIK the update will include wolves, bed spawn points, and cookies. Hopefully there'll be a few surprises in there too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do updates work? Are you forced to update when you login, or do you have to download it? And will it break any server stuff?

parasight

MK Town construction is under way in Asscraftia. The first arena is basically complete. The Pit!

5576407067_bdf1a4614b_b.jpg

5576993326_c5789e4903_b.jpg

5576408361_54c7ec1666_b.jpg

Work continues now to The Living Forest and Goro's Lair. We've got a whole bunch of ideas of arenas to make for MK Town. We're located southwest of Ocean Town if you'd like to visit. It's me (foolosophy), doogie48 and BertoSunchips. You'll notice our MK Ninja skins. Drop by and say hello!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
parasight said:

reminds me of something I'd like in a future update - the removal of the need to have thousands of torches scattered all over the floor to keep mobs away.

Maybe an advanced option to allow you to bury torches (or redstone torches) and that counts

parasight

mrklaw said:
reminds me of something I'd like in a future update - the removal of the need to have thousands of torches scattered all over the floor to keep mobs away.

Maybe an advanced option to allow you to bury torches (or redstone torches) and that counts
I definitely agree. But I try to make the lighting seem more natural through stuff like street lamps and such. It's another element to designing. A more powerful light would be greatly appreciated for indoor though.

Looks like 1.4 JUST came out.

Minecraft Beta 1.4

* Added tameable wolves
* Added cookies
* Sleeping in a bed now resets your spawn position
* New Minecraft logo
* Holding shift while climbing will hang on to the ladder
* Spiders will no longer trample crops
* Lots and lots of infrastructure for Statistics lists and Achievements

While most of the code is written, statistics and achievements won’t show up until the next update. We didn’t quite have time to finish them this week, and didn’t want to delay the update longer.

I was playing on Exano's, started lagging again, went to reconnect and got the update.

Now I can't play :-(

Top Bottom