• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Can someone tell me what happened? I was excavating pretty deep down, i was nearby lava but put blocks around to walk over it, i placed my crafting box on a block, made a furnace with it, when i tried to pick up the furnace to put in my inventory, i was suddently burning up, by the time i had closed the inventory i had few life left, i died, saw my items fall, maybe some in lava, but not all of them. I spawn, i go back, and now the tunnel around the lava that i had dug is completely filled up... WTF

Rapstah

How good are dogs at maneuvering around houses, fences and cliff edges? I managed to find and tame one over a kilometer away from my house (co-ords 1200/800 on the Glacier seed) but now I obviously want to bring him home to my fortress built out of one of the giant cliffs at spawn.

Rapstah said:
How good are dogs at maneuvering around houses, fences and cliff edges? I managed to find and tame one over a kilometer away from my house (co-ords 1200/800 on the Glacier seed) but now I obviously want to bring him home to my fortress built out of one of the giant cliffs at spawn.

I'd be careful around large drops, their AI is pretty basic.

By the way a handy tip for getting wolves to go into your house (since they don't seem to like doors very much): Make a 1x1 dog door! They seem to love 1x1 holes those and will easily follow you into your house.

besiktas1

Ugh played this today, so clunky and the jumping had such bad hit detection I just had couldn't enjoy it.

Won't be buying this, not for me. Bloom looked nice though.

besiktas1 said:
Ugh played this today, so clunky and the jumping had such bad hit detection I just had couldn't enjoy it.

I dont know what game you were playing, but it wasn't Minecraft.

Ranger X

Barberetti said:
I posted a pic of a brown one right above your post :p

No pink ones yet.

Yeah but sometimes it's different in multi and single player mode. I wanted to make sure people getting brown and pink sheep were in singe player mode because I really never seen any and I think it's wierd. Wolves are supposed to be rare according to notch and I got plenty...

Rapstah

Ranger X said:
Yeah but sometimes it's different in multi and single player mode. I wanted to make sure people getting brown and pink sheep were in singe player mode because I really never seen any and I think it's wierd. Wolves are supposed to be rare according to notch and I got plenty...
You're lucky then, I searched for hours to find a dog (most of that time was finding the biomes).

Here's my new cozy dog corner.

dogcornerk9gd.png

Too bad I will now have to stop using that save because I can't do ANYTHING without potentially killing this dog. :lol

Buggy Loop said:
Can someone tell me what happened? I was excavating pretty deep down, i was nearby lava but put blocks around to walk over it, i placed my crafting box on a block, made a furnace with it, when i tried to pick up the furnace to put in my inventory, i was suddently burning up, by the time i had closed the inventory i had few life left, i died, saw my items fall, maybe some in lava, but not all of them. I spawn, i go back, and now the tunnel around the lava that i had dug is completely filled up... WTF

Weird. I was going to say that you might have been set alight by one of those sparks that pop out of the lava now and again, because I've been set alight by those a couple of times. That doesn't explain the tunnel being filled up though, so ... yeah. Odd.

Ranger X said:

Ah right. Yeah I'm playing single player. I've never played multi. Still no pink sheep though, and no cocoa either. I've found brown sheep on snowy and grassy places, so not sure what the criteria are for their spawn points.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Can you guys give me some advice on creating a backdoor water exit to my base?

Basically I created a base that is underground and goes under an ocean, with an entrance on a hill on the coast. I am trying to make a secret entrance/exit that empties into the ocean floor, but I can't figure out a way to build a door that enters into the water without creating a torrent of water that enters and pushes me down.

Any tips on making an entrance on the ocean floor?

Wool

evilgreg said:

Basically I created a base that is underground and goes under an ocean, with an entrance on a hill on the coast. I am trying to make a secret entrance/exit that empties into the ocean floor, but I can't figure out a way to build a door that enters into the water without creating a torrent of water that enters and pushes me down.

I am pretty sure you could do it with sugar cane reeds, as you can pass through them but water can't. If the entrance is straight down you would have to make enough to fill the entrance completely, otherwise just replace the spot where you put a door with the plant.

Rapstah

evilgreg said:

Last time I checked, water couldn't pass through doors, neither open nor closed. Build a door area where you want to have it inside a hollowed-out dirt frame, remove the frame and it should flood outside but never be able to enter the doors.

Ranger X

evilgreg said:

You can put ladders to block water. It's easy to put on walls and remove them later.

Ferrio

Banned
So my groups new multiplayer server rocks. Or last server grew big, people would wander off in a direction for 30 minutes causing the map to get huge and having everyone spread out.

So we created a chunk that was nothing but adminium. Then we generated a new map, and surrounded the spawn with these adminium wall chunks, so everyone *has* to play in this small confined space. It's causing people to be a lot more social, and there's a better community atmosphere so far. We've made a nice spawn area and have been gradually improving on it. If we ever find out that we don't have enough resources/room or if notch adds new block types, we just remove one of the adminium walls and place it further back... and the game will generate new terrain where it was.

Rapstah

Ferrio said:
we just remove one of the adminium walls and place it further back
Out of curiousity, because I might do the same thing with a LAN server in the future, what software would you use to remove the bedrock? Take the server down and map edit it away?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ferrio said:
So my groups new multiplayer server rocks. Or last server grew big, people would wander off in a direction for 30 minutes causing the map to get huge and having everyone spread out.

So we created a chunk that was nothing but adminium. Then we generated a new map, and surrounded the spawn with these adminium wall chunks, so everyone *has* to play in this small confined space. It's causing people to be a lot more social, and there's a better community atmosphere so far. We've made a nice spawn area and have been gradually improving on it. If we ever find out that we don't have enough resources/room or if notch adds new block types, we just remove one of the adminium walls and place it further back... and the game will generate new terrain where it was.
and here's what i would do:
at the bottom of the box id leave a 1x1 hole in the adminium and put a dirt block in its place. directly below that block i would place tnt. they find the hole and think they've found a way to escape but once the first dirt is gone they hit tnt and fall into a 1x2 pit they cant jump out of!

[i would then line this 1x2 pit with more adminium]

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ferrio said:

I don't see how limiting freedom in a sandbox game can be fun, but to each their own, I guess.

Ferrio

Banned
Brazil said:
I don't see how limiting freedom in a sandbox game can be fun, but to each their own, I guess.

We have two servers running, they're free to play on the other one if they don't like this one. It's just that on the previous server the multiplayer aspect wasn't very multiplayerish since everyone was spread out and rarely interacted. Now that everyone is in the same place, stuff goes up quickly, we're safer from monsters, and also we're going for a lot more aesthetic look. Our previous one was just full of huge castle walls etc... this we're really trying to groom the world to look like a community.

And like I said this solves the new resources problem that would spring up everytime a new update would come out. Notch would introduce a new block... but you'd have to generate new terrain which was... a good 15 minute walk. This way we can slowly open up the world as new block types are introduced.

Grakl

besiktas1 said:

What does this even mean?

Brazil said:
He likes LittleBigPlanet.
I'm gonna use this chance to rant about LBP.

It is a well made game, yes, but there are some big gameplay issues. Bad platforming. Weird switching between the different planes.

Qwomo

besiktas1 said:

I think you're in the wrong thread.

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
I've found several brown sheep and one pink sheep in single player.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
evilgreg said:

does water flood up to the same level as it started from? If not, can't you just make a moon pool type entrance, and then you can make that a little room of its own. just jump in and swim down and then up.

GDJustin said:
My wife was watching at the time and asked me why this blocky game gets me so nervous and worked up. I didn't really know what to say. I don't know why it's so scary. It just is. Maybe it's so scary because there is a very real chance to lose what you're carrying, whereas other horror games don't have true death penalties?

Hmm .. I dunno. I've recently taken to carrying a chest with me when I'm exploring cave systems (which is pretty much all the time), and I'll dump it on the floor and put my valuables in it before going into a cavern that looks "serious". You know, like the ones that have a few tunnels in the ceiling that anything could jump out of while you're trying to light the place up. That fear factor is still there for me at least, even with my stuff safe.

I think it's the combination of having to walk (or run lol) into the pitch black, while lighting the way a bit at a time, coupled with the fact that at least 2 of the mobs can surprise you at any moment:

TWANG! Arrow out of the dark and straight into your face! Always makes me jump.

PSHHHH! Creeper about to detonate just as you slapped a torch down right in front of it.

... and so forth.

Grinchy

Banned
animlboogy said:
Badass! I'm going to find that and make more food!
haha nice! I would totally be down for Food Town. I can imagine McDonalds Fries (red package, fries spewing out the top, golden arches, mmmm) or even a steak on a plate lol

I wish I had a better way of explaining how to get there, I just know it's close to my house and you can get to that pyramid in the background using the skybridge.

Ranger X

Barberetti said:
TWANG! Arrow out of the dark and straight into your face! Always makes me jump.

PSHHHH! Creeper about to detonate just as you slapped a torch down right in front of it.

... and so forth.

holyshit, THAT. This is the game me jump the most, ever. More than Resident Evil 1 . lol

Grinchy

Banned
I HATE skeletons. I have a special hatred for creepers, and they make me jump all the time, but skeletons have a way of scaring me enough so that I hop and run around in weird patterns, causing me to miss them with my arrows.

This probably has happened before, but I was playing the other night and I was fighting 2 of them at the same time. One skele hit the other skele with its arrow, and they fought to the death right in front of me lol!! When one of the won their fight, I shot one arrow and took him out as a prize.

Ranger X

OMG, I finally got one brown sheep. Seriously, it's been like 4 hours I am wandering around and always skipping the night. Those are rare!

Eccocid

I hate slimes more than any other mobs now.. Thanks to them i fell in to lava several times..They don't die and keep pushing me :(

Jasoco

Banned
My wolves keep pushing me around while I'm trying to work if I don't tell them to sit first. They really need to fix Mob behavior.

Mobs should never push the player if they're not hostile. They should also never get in the way of your work. i.e. never walk into the area right in front of you. That just causes them to be hurt by your swinging tools. These seem like simple fixes. Let's hope Mojang figures this out eventually too.

bengraven

I've found plenty of brown sheep.

But no

fucking

wolves.

I even created the "wolf" world someone mentioned and no fucking wolves. Really nice geometry though.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
My wolves keep pushing me around while I'm trying to work if I don't tell them to sit first. They really need to fix Mob behavior.

Mobs should never push the player if they're not hostile. They should also never get in the way of your work. i.e. never walk into the area right in front of you. That just causes them to be hurt by your swinging tools. These seem like simple fixes. Let's hope Mojang figures this out eventually too.

I was traveling on boat with a wolf following me. Everytime the wolf was respawning, for some reason it was too near. It was pushing my boat, changing its direction for a second and it broke from hitting something as a result. Seriously, this is the worse pushing problem there. lol

Blizzard

Banned
I didn't notice anyone mentioning it, but Mojang beat Valve in that Escapist developer voting competition, and it's Mojang vs. Bioware for the final.

Yeah I've got a lava pool in my base that I use for waste disposal. My wolf (when he was alive, R.I.P Ozzy lol) almost pushed me in while I was throwing a stack of saplings into it.

I wouldn't mind the boats getting some attention as well, as far as fixing stuff goes. I've lost count of the amount of times I've leapt out of one only to see it go shooting off across the ocean instead of staying still. The time I've wasted going to fetch the damn things, I might as well have just swam to shore in the first place!

Also, there's a part of me going "just leave it, it's only 5 planks of wood", but I can't! I hate leaving crap laying about on the surface of my world. When I mine something on the surface, I feel the need to tidy up afterwards and make the landscape look as natural as possible.

Underground, I don't give a shit lol.

Mik2121

Barberetti said:
Yeah I've got a lava pool in my base that I use for waste disposal. My wolf (when he was alive, R.I.P Ozzy lol) almost pushed me in while I was throwing a stack of saplings into it.

I wouldn't mind the boats getting some attention as well, as far as fixing stuff goes. I've lost count of the amount of times I've leapt out of one only to see it go shooting off across the ocean instead of staying still. The time I've wasted going to fetch the damn things, I might as well have just swam to shore in the first place!

Also, there's a part of me going "just leave it, it's only 5 planks of wood", but I can't! I hate leaving crap laying about on the surface of my world. When I mine something on the surface, I feel the need to tidy up afterwards and make the landscape look as natural as possible.

Underground, I don't give a shit lol.
I can sorta feel your pain...

When I make a mine though, I usually work on any entrance and exit that I might have made, so it looks pretty :p

Blizzard

Banned
DangerousDave said:
So bed spawning don't work in SP, wolfs do nothing except pushing you, and there is nothing else except small bugfixing.

Nice.
...? Wolves follow you, sit, can be tamed, can spawn in packs, cookies have been added, brown sheep have been added (not sure if that was this update), cocoa beans may have been added?

Also, you might consider them bugfixes, but spiders no longer trample on crops, and you can hang on a ladder with shift apparently. And Notch added a bunch of code for statistics and achievements. It's just not in the current version.

Blizzard said:
...? Wolves follow you, sit, can be tamed, can spawn in packs, cookies have been added, brown sheep have been added (not sure if that was this update), cocoa beans may have been added?

Also, you might consider them bugfixes, but spiders no longer trample on crops, and you can hang on a ladder with shift apparently. And Notch added a bunch of code for statistics and achievements. It's just not in the current version.

Right now, wolves are sheeps with different shape that follow you or stop following you. Nothing else. They don't attack (come on, they're not even aggro at night in wild) or support you in any way, don't get items from floor, don't bark if there is any creeper around, and you cannot take them with you underground because you will be pushed to a pit or to lava. It's a 30 minutes entertaintment.

About the new colored sheeps, is a joke. They should be able to make sheeps of other colors in half an hour, because is only a palette on a texture, and adding the spawn variables in an array.

They added cookies that recover a minimum amount of life and that require an object that can only be found in chests and cannot be grown.

They fixed a few small bugs, but they let some big bugs like the slimes of multiplayer.

About "code of archievents is in there, but deactivated", is an excuse that I can't afford to do in my job.

I wonder if I'm the only one that see an incredible lack of new updates in the last 3 months. It's shameful that a single fan can do much more in a mod that program in his spare time, for free, than the official devs that got rich with the game and promised to work fulltime in this to give us a lot of content.

Ranger X

DangerousDave said:
Right now, wolves are sheeps with different shape that follow you or stop following you. Nothing else. They don't attack (come on, they're not even aggro at night in wild) or support you in any way, don't get items from floor, don't bark if there is any creeper around, and you cannot take them with you underground because you will be pushed to a pit or to lava. It's a 30 minutes entertaintment.

About the new colored sheeps, is a joke. They should be able to make sheeps of other colors in half an hour, because is only a palette on a texture, and adding the spawn variables in an array.

They added cookies that recover a minimum amount of life and that require an object that can only be found in chests and cannot be grown.

They fixed a few small bugs, but they let some big bugs like the slimes of multiplayer.

About "code of archievents is in there, but deactivated", is an excuse that I can't afford to do in my job.

I wonder if I'm the only one that see an incredible lack of new updates in the last 3 months. It's shameful that a single fan can do much more in a mod that program in his spare time, for free, than the official devs that got rich with the game and promised to work fulltime in this to give us a lot of content.

Althought wolves ARE attacking (you need to click the mob you want them to attack and they attack sheeps naturally), I agree with your general statement that those updates are barely nothing and too sparse. This last update is indeed some 2-3 days of work. Looks like Notch loves the jetset lifestyle a bit too much!

Blizzard

Banned
DangerousDave said:
They shake water off themselves too!

It's not all there, it's partly there. I'm a software engineer and I make stuff really slowly. I could see integrating the achievement and statistics stuff into the engine, especially if Notch wanted to do it without causing performance problems and keeping it robust, taking a while.

I feel like the updates in the last 8-12 months have been a good bit of content, worth $15 for me at least. I can almost guarantee you that the content updata isn't over yet, either, and no paid DLC.

Ranger X said:
Althought wolves ARE attacking (you need to click the mob you want them to attack and they attack sheeps naturally), I agree with your general statement that those updates are barely nothing and too sparse. This last update is indeed some 2-3 days of work. Looks like Notch loves the jetset lifestyle a bit too much!
Notch didn't make the wolves, Jens (I think that's his name?) did. And again, speaking as a software engineer (even if I am the worst in the world), I bet it takes longer than 2-3 days to add the animations, behavior, frameworks, and so forth.

I think that it would be nice if some small changes were added like making furnaces and chests not auto-align if that issue still exists. I would think that would involve removing existing code, not adding more.

evilgreg said:

Did you get this working? If not, have a look at this one I made earlier. It might give you some ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M13msg_OeNM

Building it gave me an excuse to try out Fraps and upload a video to Youtube for the first time, so I got to learn some stuff either way. Need to sort out how to record sound properly, but that doesn't really matter for this.

Mikor

Still on 1.3 on Exano's Gafland, folks.

Sorry for not updating, theres a couple essential plugin's we're waiting on (Namely Big Brother) before we go ahead and push the update through. I'm looking for alternatives in the meantime. Sorry for the downtime, but if your on 1.3 you can still log in and play fine =)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Had my first serious spelunk today. Found a small cave stuffed full of creepers and spiders right under our house. Cleared it out and found connecting tunnels. Ended up opening up in lots of directions, difficult to keep track of and easy to get lost in - some looping back on themselves. Definitely need to work on my navigation.

My son was really scared by it, telling me to stop all the time. Not sure if it was the dark caves, or the worry that i'd die and lose the diamond sword.

I was doing well until one misstep made me fall down a pit, and I came face to face with my first ever giant fucking slime. So I shot it with my bow. It then split into smaller ones which I also shot, ending up with a bunch of little ones. I vaguely remembered reading that they can't hurt you when they are small, so I relaxed a little. And they pushed me into a lava lake and I died, taking all my inventory down with me :p

Eventually went back and cleared it out, and came back with a few diamond and a decent amount of iron. Still barely enough to cover what i'd lost, but it was a lot of fun.

Ranger X

Blizzard said:
Notch didn't make the wolves, Jens (I think that's his name?) did. And again, speaking as a software engineer (even if I am the worst in the world), I bet it takes longer than 2-3 days to add the animations, behavior, frameworks, and so forth.

I think that it would be nice if some small changes were added like making furnaces and chests not auto-align if that issue still exists. I would think that would involve removing existing code, not adding more.

I conceide wolves might have taken more time. But then again, it depends how well his code and structure is organised. If he did a good job, his AI structure is already done and the wolfe share alot with other AIs. What could be the longest time sinker is the new animations since this mobs his having alot more than others mob. So yeah, maybe more than 2 days if it's one peep alone but if you're 2 or 3 persons, one of them an animator, it really shouldn't take more than a couple of days to make really. Basically I've been doing a rough estimation but assuming it's not ONE person to make everything and I am also thinking like a day job, not working on it a couple of hours a day like a hobby.

Even if I am personally satisfied (because I am far from being tired of the game yet), I can totally understand people wanting more, bigger updates. Those bigger updates and ones adding diversity in what we already have should be easy to do.

Blizzard

Banned
Ranger X said:
I conceide wolves might have taken more time. But then again, it depends how well his code and structure is organised. If he did a good job, his AI structure is already done and the wolfe share alot with other AIs. What could be the longest time sinker is the new animations since this mobs his having alot more than others mob. So yeah, maybe more than 2 days if it's one peep alone but if you're 2 or 3 persons, one of them an animator, it really shouldn't take more than a couple of days to make really. Basically I've been doing a rough estimation but assuming it's not ONE person to make everything and I am also thinking like a day job, not working on it a couple of hours a day like a hobby.

Even if I am personally satisfied (because I am far from being tired of the game yet), I can totally understand people wanting more, bigger updates. Those bigger updates and ones adding diversity in what we already have should be easy to do.
Well I'm not an expert, I just got the impression from the blog and twitter updates that Jens was doing it mostly by himself. I think only Notch and Jens are actual programmers for Minecraft. I think the other people are website/art/other game people maybe?

And I also would like continued updates. :) I would like more advanced redstone stuff for instance (like "IC" blocks...I think a mod already has some?). Hopefully they keep updating it and don't add anything horrible. I just don't think they're giving up yet.

Grinchy

Banned
mrklaw said:
Had my first serious spelunk today. Found a small cave stuffed full of creepers and spiders right under our house. Cleared it out and found connecting tunnels. Ended up opening up in lots of directions, difficult to keep track of and easy to get lost in - some looping back on themselves. Definitely need to work on my navigation.

My son was really scared by it, telling me to stop all the time. Not sure if it was the dark caves, or the worry that i'd die and lose the diamond sword.

I was doing well until one misstep made me fall down a pit, and I came face to face with my first ever giant fucking slime. So I shot it with my bow. It then split into smaller ones which I also shot, ending up with a bunch of little ones. I vaguely remembered reading that they can't hurt you when they are small, so I relaxed a little. And they pushed me into a lava lake and I died, taking all my inventory down with me :p

Eventually went back and cleared it out, and came back with a few diamond and a decent amount of iron. Still barely enough to cover what i'd lost, but it was a lot of fun.
hahaha

I still haven't even seen a slime yet. I guess I've been lucky so far.

So what is the actual strategy to use when you see slimes?

Top Bottom