• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Mikor

bengraven said:
Has Exano's server been upgraded yet?

When BigBrother officially supports the version of Bukkit the server will need to run in order to support it, we will upgrade to 1.4. The plugin developer claims it will be ready today, however bukkit.org is currently under maintenance and so we wont be able to check on that until later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bastard!

in the middle of making a mob grinder, and fell in. Killed by the lava (bloody faster water) and ran back from my spawn but my items weren't flushed out!

Ranger X said:
The compass is supposed to point your spawnpoint. Therefore the original spawnpoint since there's only one spawnpoint (bed aren't working in single). If you're in multiplayer then I don't know if it's different.

And a tip for when you travel far and get lost...
Have Cartographer generate a map of your seed. If ever you're lost, draw an "X" with black wool or any recogniseable block on the ground. Save and quit, generate your seed's map. Find yourself.

There is an easier solution, that is: Notepad, write coordinates of your base or bases, check F3 if you get lost.

bengraven

Mikor said:
When BigBrother officially supports the version of Bukkit the server will need to run in order to support it, we will upgrade to 1.4. The plugin developer claims it will be ready today, however bukkit.org is currently under maintenance and so we wont be able to check on that until later.

Gracias. Will go off and play with my dog in my main single player castle then. ha

Ranger X

Ridiculous the amount of time you can spend in this game. It's been like 4 hours I am only decorating, making my terrain/domain beautiful. And it's fucking fun. Made also a sugar cane planting.

barnone

Can anyone provide me with a link that explains the basics of running a Minecraft server and operating Bukkit (adding plugins, managing plugins)? I am new to running servers and am interested in learning how. Xenon Servers is hosting my server so I am using their control panel.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I think it makes sense for the compass to reset to your bed. They were originally added as a way to find your base, not really a navigation aid. So they should continue to work that way regardless of where you move your spawn to. It would be cool if you could set a separate compass target though.

Ranger X

Zek said:
I think it makes sense for the compass to reset to your bed. They were originally added as a way to find your base, not really a navigation aid. So they should continue to work that way regardless of where you move your spawn to. It would be cool if you could set a separate compass target though.

Perfection would be:

"right click" on a block with the compass in hand = set new target.
Skipping the night would still set a target.

parasight

Roche178 said:
So a member of the Assland server Doogie, left his wolf alone while he was offline, exploiting this I decided to play a little prank on him.

Encased in a glass box with lava above one wrong move will kill it, MUHAHAHAHAHA :)

>_<

You got Bedrock stuck floating in Doogie's room now. Does anyone know how to clear Bedrock without mods?

False alarm, got confused with my new texture pack.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
Perfection would be:

"right click" on a block with the compass in hand = set new target.
Skipping the night would still set a target.

I can fortell the future. Go off on a 5-day expedition, get set to return with loads of loot and wolves, bring up compass to check direction, accidentally right click on block in front of me - aaargh!

Maybe just have a special block you craft which the magnet is drawn to. Maybe a block of iron, as that isn't natural. If you have a block of iron in your house, the compass points to that. If not, it points to the most recent bed you slept in.

BooJoh

mrklaw said:
Maybe just have a special block you craft which the magnet is drawn to. Maybe a block of iron, as that isn't natural. If you have a block of iron in your house, the compass points to that. If not, it points to the most recent bed you slept in.
What I was thinking is like, a "magnetic beacon" or something. You'd craft it, then place it, and your compass would always point to the closest one. That way if you want one place your compass always points, you could do that. If you wanted it to always point to your closest base you just put a beacon in each base.

mrklaw said:
I can fortell the future. Go off on a 5-day expedition, get set to return with loads of loot and wolves, bring up compass to check direction, accidentally right click on block in front of me - aaargh!

Yeah, a homing beacon recipe would do, made out of iron and obsidian or whatever. Make your beacon and put it in your base. Done.

Edit: Beaten!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
sounds cool. Then you can collect them up as you retrace your steps.

recipe could be the opposite of the compass. So four blocks of redstone and one of iron in the middle.

How is the compass working in multiplayer at the moment? If you move your bed after it's been set as your spawn point, does the compass point to the bed's current location, or where it was before you moved it? In other words, does the spawn point move with the bed?

What if the bed gets destroyed? Does the game revert back to using your original spawn point?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Barberetti said:
How is the compass working in multiplayer at the moment? If you move your bed after it's been set as your spawn point, does the compass point to the bed's current location, or where it was before you moved it? In other words, does the spawn point move with the bed?

What if the bed gets destroyed? Does the game revert back to using your original spawn point?

I couldn't work it out. At some points it seemed to be pointing to where I'd put my bed temporarily, others it seemed to be pointing far off into the distance (but didn't seem to move me towards my original spawn).

would be good to get to the bottom of it. Maybe it wasn't expected to support multiple beds, and people breaking/carrying them with them. but that was the first thing I thought of when planning a long trip, so I guess plenty of people do that.

mrklaw said:
I couldn't work it out. At some points it seemed to be pointing to where I'd put my bed temporarily, others it seemed to be pointing far off into the distance (but didn't seem to move me towards my original spawn).

would be good to get to the bottom of it. Maybe it wasn't expected to support multiple beds, and people breaking/carrying them with them. but that was the first thing I thought of when planning a long trip, so I guess plenty of people do that.

Yeah I take a bed with me when I go exploring now. beats the hell out of sitting in your little hole at night, twiddling your thumbs waiting for sunrise. It'll be interesting to see how the beds/spawn point issue gets resolved.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
mob grinder question - built one to make bones for my daughters current wolf obsession. But what do you do for the dark floors? I've put a door to them, but I don't want to go in there while they are pitch black. Do you put redstone torches with a switch of some kind to light it up, or is there a simpler solution? Not played with redstone yet.

mrklaw said:
mob grinder question - built one to make bones for my daughters current wolf obsession. But what do you do for the dark floors? I've put a door to them, but I don't want to go in there while they are pitch black. Do you put redstone torches with a switch of some kind to light it up, or is there a simpler solution? Not played with redstone yet.

Meanwhile you are building the trap, put difficulty to peaceful. Then, make the trap, and block completly the big room. You will never need to enter there, you only have to add a door to the small collection room.

You can make the walls of glass, in the collection part where the enemies got trapped and die, to get sure that the trap works correctly. If you need to make adjusts, turn to peaceful, open a way to the big room, edit the trap, close the room, turn difficulty to normal.

Ranger X

mrklaw said:

"Are you sure" window that pops + the cursor is always on "no". Problem solved.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
barnone said:
Can anyone provide me with a link that explains the basics of running a Minecraft server and operating Bukkit (adding plugins, managing plugins)? I am new to running servers and am interested in learning how. Xenon Servers is hosting my server so I am using their control panel.

If you find a good link for this, let me know. I'm hosting mine via a hosting company, and have Bukkit and such. I'd just like to know how the heck to install goofy mods.

Salaadin

Started a new world last night after taking months off.

The game generated a nice area with 2 tall mountains right next to eachother so I hollowed my way up one and then built a bridge over to the other. After stopping to enjoy the view, I hear the sound of a falling Creeper behind me. I turn, see him, and immediately run the other way. Too late. The explosion destroys my bridge, throws me from it, and right into a hole in where a Skeleton is waiting for me.

I hate
love
this game.

Its been a LOOONG time since I played. The birch trees, wolves, and leaves falling from dead trees were all brand new to me. I love all of those changes except now I have more saplings than I know what to do with.

Is there a list anywhere of what they plan on adding/fixing/changing for single player? The game feels practically complete to me aside from a few odds and ends.

ckohler

Salaadin said:
Found this:
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features

Weather is on there and cited as being mentioned in a livestream with Notch. Id love that especially if they pull off some cool indoor rain sound effects.
I saw that Livestream. Someone asked if they were going to bring back the falling snow in the snow biomes and Notch answered without a moment's hesitation, "Weather is coming." The way he said it pretty much made it sound like they were already working on it.

Salaadin

ckohler said:
I saw that Livestream. Someone asked if they were going to bring back the falling snow in the snow biomes and Notch answered without a moment's hesitation, "Weather is coming." The way he said it pretty much made it sound like they were already working on it.

Even better. Thanks.

Whats the "go to" server for gaf these days? Exano, Asscraft, or Timans? I might pop on tonight just to look around since Ive never played online before.

Ranger X

Eccocid said:
Check those renders! they are amazing!

http://quag.imgur.com/minecraft__blender

i am downloading the plugin for it
google mcobj minecraft
it says it only works for blender, gonna try it with maya and c4d
Animlboogy i may need AssCraft's server save file to get a server render like that!

wow wow wow, is this an available map renderer? you know, a little soft like cartographer I mean.

Vlad

Ranger X said:
wow wow wow, is this an available map renderer? you know, a little soft like cartographer I mean.

Unfortunately, no. It's a standalone program that converts a minecraft world into an .obj file that a 3d-rendering program called blender can then import and render, giving you the pictures you see on that site.

I just tried it out, and was immediately stonewalled by the fact that Blender is apparently very complicated. I got it to make a picture, but I can't even figure out how to get it to point a different direction. I could see it being very cool, though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
more mob grinder help wanted..

Finally got mine finished, including a loot chute so it carries the goodies away from the mob grinder. So I can just stand there collecting and the grinder is far enough away to not be affected by my distance.

But over the last hour and a bit, I've only collected about 10 each of arrows, bones and feathers, and two pieces of string. Any suggestions how to improve that?

I have two floors each of 23x23 with water pushing mobs down holes into a lava grinder, and then the loot flows down to a central hole and along to a pickup point. I guess its ok if I just leave my guy overnight, but it took *ages* to build the thing so I was hoping for a better return than 10 bits of feather every hour.

here is a link to an example showing how mine is built - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gPSQ6wPuvo

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
All i want to know is when the damn portals will work on SMP

Ferrio

Banned
Calm Killer said:
All i want to know is when the damn portals will work on SMP

Think he'd have to overhaul that whole system, which I hope he does. He needs to make it so each map is it's own server. So you run a netherworld server and a regular one. Portals will hook up between. This would fix that issue AND allow you to make portals between other servers altogether so you could visit other multi servers and travel between.

Salaadin

Is it possible to tame a wolf but have it stay back at your house and not follow you? I want a wolf but I dont want one following me...I just want a pet back at the house.

Ferrio

Banned
Salaadin said:
Is it possible to tame a wolf but have it stay back at your house and not follow you? I want a wolf but I dont want one following me...I just want a pet back at the house.

Right click, causes it to sit.

Decided to try the game and feeling kind of lost. Have started a big mining operation to build a big stone fortress(seems like the right thing to do) and that will take a while.

Awesome moments so far:

*Opening up a huge underground cave in my mine. (Sealed that shit up asap, who knows whats down there).
*Finding a nice little island. Leveling it totally to make way for my fortress.

Questions:

Is there any way to see the crafting recipys ingame? Tabbing to wiki is kind of annoying.

Any good HD texture packs for 1.4? Would prefer the original look but a little cleaner and higher res.

I've found some iron to make better pickaxes but how to get even better, just dig more and find more materials?

Ferrio

Banned
jakershaker said:
Questions:

Is there any way to see the crafting recipys ingame? Tabbing to wiki is kind of annoying.

Nope

Any good HD texture packs for 1.4? Would prefer the original look but a little cleaner and higher res.

I've been using this, loooove it
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1021&t=216917

I've found some iron to make better pickaxes but how to get even better, just dig more and find more materials?

Shouldn't really use iron pickaxes unless you need to dig up diamonds/redstone/gold. Use stone until you get diamond.

Top Bottom