• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

mrklaw said:
you can ignore the lava bits if you like. do the 13.6 depth thing and mine strips every 3 blocks - that will give you the best opportunity for finding diamonds. Although when I did that, I found some lava immediately below me, so you might want to start one block up from 13.6.

edit: you want a layout like this (top down view):

cf2cD.jpg

the main hallway and side tunnels would be a lot longer in real life, just squashed it down to fit on a small image..

so a 2 wide, 2 high main tunnel, then side tunnels 1 wide x 2 high with three blocks between them. This is because most ores take up more than one block, so even if there is some gold/iron etc in the centre (so you can't see it directly), most of the time it will also have an adjacent block which will be visible from the walls of your side tunnels.

The back passage is helpful because once you have that you can then mine forwards and backwards, rather than always having to return to the main hallway.

You can then stack these mines on top of each other, leaving one layer for the floor. In that case you should try and stagger the side tunnels so they overlap, giving you the best coverage.

Great tips, mining like a madman now and found some diamond and redstone.

But with my first testfortress done I'm not sure what to do next. Mostly collecting stuff at the moment.

Barberetti said:
And right now, an obsidian diving helmet that allows unlimited underwater breathing would be really fucking handy.

Also, a good reason for going into the Nether is needed. it's fucking boring in there at the moment.

I'd love for the oceans to be properly fleshed out (and Notch said he wanted to add stuff underwater in game after going scuba diving?). At the moment they're just completely dead areas. Squids seem like a completely wasted opportunity to do something interesting (when they even deem to spawn), and barely even work properly as it is (they just seem to get stuck on sand bars). I'd love everything from underwater plants to shoals of fish to sharks - who wouldn't want an underwater base with a huge glass wall with a view of all that? I can imagine deep dark underwater caverns to explore full of terrifying nocturnal monstrosities like this in there.

Definitely agree the risk/reward ratio for the Nether is also completely messed up. Make it a place with really tough combat against formidable enemies for interetsing items, or just put in some rare and extremely useful blocks, but at the moment it just seems like a waste of development time.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I literally forget that The Nether exists, quite often. MY current world doesn't even have a portal.

I think it's pretty obvious that Bloodstone and Glowstone will eventually be used in exotic crafting recipes, justifying Nether excursions.

cluto

Barberetti said:
I think what I'd like to see the most as far as updates go are better loot drops in the dungeon chests. Have obsidian weapons and armour with added stats and stuff, and only obtainable from those chests, not craftable. People would have a reason for looking for dungeons then, aside from wanting pig saddles or using the mob spawners for farming.

And right now, an obsidian diving helmet that allows unlimited underwater breathing would be really fucking handy.

Also, a good reason for going into the Nether is needed. it's fucking boring in there at the moment.
I like these ideas. Also, if said obsidian pickaxe were to exist, it would be awesome if it mined obsidian blocks five times faster than the diamond pickaxe; obsidian mining is the most tedious thing I've done in minecraft.

Jhriad

Salaadin said:
I was actually thinking about making an excel spreadsheet with each cell being a block and then planning out something that way.

You might be interested in checking out Cube Kingdom 2.0. It's a 3D pixel art program that has been modded with Minecraft textures. Works quite well for my needs.

WolfofMebu said:
Some pictures Godzilla wanted me to take of the area he came across today on Exano's server(click the pictures for larger versions):

Oh wow! Makes me excited to continue with my underground tunnel crossing the ocean.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How come this thread gets to stay in gaming when other games have been sent to the community graveyard?

Just a bit mind boggling how Minecraft gets immunity.

Cube kingdom looks awesome. Will try out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
enzo_gt said:
How come this thread gets to stay in gaming when other games have been sent to the community graveyard?

Noticed the "2" in the thread title?

The original thread was moved to Community ages ago. This is relatively new.

Updating the thread now, by the way.

Blizzard

Banned
enzo_gt said:

Minecraft did get sent to community, long ago, and many people complained about it because it was a game with a major singleplayer component (unlike TF2) and because people stopped posting regularly in the thread since they couldn't even find it to subscribe to it or whatever.

It got temporarily moved back with the new thread and/or an update, I think. Also I seem to recall that L4D2 is still in the "Gaming" forum despite being almost 100% played as a multiplayer competitive or co-op game. Stuff varies, and stuff gets moved around.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FDSHGSDAA The idea of building things under water always seems so cool but the reality is frustrating as fuck. Argh. Wish I could start my current project over...

Blizzard

Banned
GDJustin said:
FDSHGSDAA The idea of building things under water always seems so cool but the reality is frustrating as fuck. Argh. Wish I could start my current project over...
In addition to the scuba helmet, some sort of portable light source would be the biggest thing for me. I can keep diving and returning to get air (and you can make small air pockets underwater), but not being able to see anything at all below 5-10 cubes or whatever is a killer.

Eccocid

Blizzard said:
In addition to the scuba helmet, some sort of portable light source would be the biggest thing for me. I can keep diving and returning to get air (and you can make small air pockets underwater), but not being able to see anything at all below 5-10 cubes or whatever is a killer.

Do glowrocks from nether glow under water?

Grinchy

Banned
GDJustin said:
I've never done it before, but I feel like if I ever did this, I would actually create the body of water last.

In other words, I'd mine out the cavity I wanted, build whatever I wanted to be under water, then I'd use the "chessboard" method of creating a body of still water at the top of the cavity (the water would run all the way down).

I'm not saying that would work for you, since you are already in the middle of building it. But if I ever do make an underwater fort, that's how I'll do it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Salaadin said:
My biggest issue is the overall look of things. I build a fort, it looks like a large wooden box....perfectly square, no real design to it. A lot of the stuff I make comes out like this. Really, I should start thinking things through before I begin building. Planning feels like half the battle.

I found a large body of water and might start working on a bridge to get across it. That might be a good time to make something awesome.
Sometimes finding the next inspiration is difficult. I built a nice castle, then explored strip mining, then some spelunking. I've just built a mob grinder which (for me) is massive and took ages, but i'm really proud of it. It's the first 'mechanism' i've built in minecraft. Still tweaking it.

I think the biggest challenge in getting a natural look is thinking in blocks and trying to get the essence of a building across without the detail. I imagine Lego builders have a great time with minecraft.

Also curves. I find my towers end up squarey as it's quick to build but I have seen some round towers which look great. Might be my next challenge.

celebi23

Grinchy said:
I didn't come up with this strategy, but it has worked for me. Mine down until you are at a height of 13.6 (hit F3 to see where you are). This height is a little bit above most lava pools, supposedly, which I've found to be true so far.

Just mine out a wide "main" tunnel, then mine very thin hallways off of the main tunnel. Mark it however makes sense to you. I use cobble, torches and signs so that I can get around my entire mine no matter how deep in I go.

rmhB4.png

mrklaw said:
you can ignore the lava bits if you like. do the 13.6 depth thing and mine strips every 3 blocks - that will give you the best opportunity for finding diamonds. Although when I did that, I found some lava immediately below me, so you might want to start one block up from 13.6.

edit: you want a layout like this (top down view):

cf2cD.jpg

the main hallway and side tunnels would be a lot longer in real life, just squashed it down to fit on a small image..

so a 2 wide, 2 high main tunnel, then side tunnels 1 wide x 2 high with three blocks between them. This is because most ores take up more than one block, so even if there is some gold/iron etc in the centre (so you can't see it directly), most of the time it will also have an adjacent block which will be visible from the walls of your side tunnels.

The back passage is helpful because once you have that you can then mine forwards and backwards, rather than always having to return to the main hallway.

You can then stack these mines on top of each other, leaving one layer for the floor. In that case you should try and stagger the side tunnels so they overlap, giving you the best coverage.

Thank you for this suggestion. I've already found an insane amount of minerals :D

Blizzard said:

---
Obsidian Diving Helmet with Side Lamp
Head
3 Armour
Equip: Allows underwater breathing
Equip: Projects cone of light to 6 blocks in front of player
---

I've had to make do with placing Jack-o-lanterns on the ocean floor in order to see what I'm doing. Works good enough for now, but a bit of a pain in the arse all the same.

cluto said:
I like these ideas. Also, if said obsidian pickaxe were to exist, it would be awesome if it mined obsidian blocks five times faster than the diamond pickaxe; obsidian mining is the most tedious thing I've done in minecraft.

---
Diamond Tipped Pneumatic Obsidian Drill
Specific
Use: Will mine Obsidian block in 5 seconds.
---

Grinchy said:
I've never done it before, but I feel like if I ever did this, I would actually create the body of water last.

In other words, I'd mine out the cavity I wanted, build whatever I wanted to be under water, then I'd use the "chessboard" method of creating a body of still water at the top of the cavity (the water would run all the way down).

I'm not saying that would work for you, since you are already in the middle of building it. But if I ever do make an underwater fort, that's how I'll do it.

I've been using a similar process, but as my base is in the middle of the ocean I've had to create the cavity to build my stuff in first. The process I've been using is:

1. Drop stacks of gravel in to the ocean where I want to build my rooms/tunnels.
2. Shovel out the inner stacks.
3. Build rooms/tunnels.
4. Cover with water using chessboard method.
5. Remove outer stacks of gravel.

Getting there slowly:

2mzw75g.png

GDJustin said:
I literally forget that The Nether exists, quite often. MY current world doesn't even have a portal.

I think it's pretty obvious that Bloodstone and Glowstone will eventually be used in exotic crafting recipes, justifying Nether excursions.

Yeah the only reason I remember it's there is because my portal is right outside my front door lol. Glowstone is supposedly going to be one of the ingredients for the new lanterns Notch has been talking about. Still not sure how I feel about those to be honest.

Strummerjones said:
I'd love for the oceans to be properly fleshed out (and Notch said he wanted to add stuff underwater in game after going scuba diving?). At the moment they're just completely dead areas. Squids seem like a completely wasted opportunity to do something interesting (when they even deem to spawn), and barely even work properly as it is (they just seem to get stuck on sand bars). I'd love everything from underwater plants to shoals of fish to sharks - who wouldn't want an underwater base with a huge glass wall with a view of all that? I can imagine deep dark underwater caverns to explore full of terrifying nocturnal monstrosities like this in there.

I think I read somewhere that the problem with the squid is that they can't swim up, so as soon as they spawn they sink to the ocean floor. Not sure if that's true or not, but if it is then it certainly needs fixing. As for sharks, although I like the idea of underwater mobs that are hostile, I'll be perfectly happy with Notch implementing them after I'm done with my underwater building. It's a pain in the arse as it is lol.

But yeah, I'm always up for more action. Wouldn't mind some flying mobs as well to be honest.

Yaweee

GDJustin said:

Weren't there sponges in the game at some point that soaked up a cube of water around them to create a bubble? That would make things so much easier.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I was having problems with my mob grinder. Made some tweaks, still not a huge amount of goodies. Lit up the surrounding area, looked for caves etc, still not great.

So I decided to mine underneath the grinder right down to the bottom, and check for any mobs/caves.

So... it seems that I happened to build my grinder on top of a huge network of caves, including two dungeons! Took me ages, but I think I've cleared out and lit up as much as I could find. Also came back with about 100 iron, 25 gold and a few diamonds. Not too shabby :)

Now to see if it made any difference to my loot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:
Man that's really awesome that the beds are finally fixed. I will soon fall into some spelunking rage!!

How do they work now?

build a bed, sleep in it, die, spawn back at bed. ok?

build bed 1 in your main house, go off on an expedition for a few days, taking bed 2 with you. sleep in it, then break it up to carry with you. Then get killed. Where do you end up?

(hoping its just storing coordinates of your bed and your bed doesn't actually have to still be there). Would still like a way to get back 'home', otherwise multi-day excursions are handy because if you die you are close to your stuff to get it back, but you're isolated in the wilderness unless you cheat and use F3 which isn't really sporting

and for all of that - where does your compass point and is that also fixed?

Ranger X

mrklaw said:
How do they work now?

build a bed, sleep in it, die, spawn back at bed. ok?

build bed 1 in your main house, go off on an expedition for a few days, taking bed 2 with you. sleep in it, then break it up to carry with you. Then get killed. Where do you end up?

(hoping its just storing coordinates of your bed and your bed doesn't actually have to still be there). Would still like a way to get back 'home', otherwise multi-day excursions are handy because if you die you are close to your stuff to get it back, but you're isolated in the wilderness unless you cheat and use F3 which isn't really sporting

and for all of that - where does your compass point and is that also fixed?

There's alot of testing I still didn't do when I think about it.
I slept in the bed in my house, killed myself and I respawned there. So they really update the spawnpoint now.
Now if you destroy the bed, I would bet you still respawn there as it's probably just a coordinate the spawn is set to and it's not dependant on the bed. Sleeping in a bed would just update that coordinate for spawning and that's it. But I will test it tonight just to be sure.

I did not think about checking my compass. I will also have to check that. I suppose the rule doesn't change and it still points to the spawnpoint -- therefore your last spawnpoint.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Ranger X said:
There's alot of testing I still didn't do when I think about it.
I slept in the bed in my house, killed myself and I respawned there. So they really update the spawnpoint now.
Now if you destroy the bed, I would bet you still respawn there as it's probably just a coordinate the spawn is set to and it's not dependant on the bed. Sleeping in a bed would just update that coordinate for spawning and that's it. But I will test it tonight just to be sure.

I did not think about checking my compass. I will also have to check that. I suppose the rule doesn't change and it still points to the spawnpoint -- therefore your last spawnpoint.
From what I saw earlier, the spawnpoint changes with the bed, however the compass never updates itself to point to the new spawn. Compass always points to original spawn.

I'm not sure if maybe destroying and building a new compass would fix it or not.

Ranger X

evilgreg said:
From what I saw earlier, the spawnpoint changes with the bed, however the compass never updates itself to point to the new spawn. Compass always points to original spawn.

I'm not sure if maybe destroying and building a new compass would fix it or not.

hmmm, I would consider this a bug with the compass. I will test it. I wouldn't be surprised the compass, when created, remembers whatever spawnpoint is currently set.

Yaweee

Ranger X said:
hmmm, I would consider this a bug with the compass. I will test it. I wouldn't be surprised the compass, when created, remembers whatever spawnpoint is currently set.

I'd assume it just points to 0,0,0.

Ranger X

Yaweee said:
I'd assume it just points to 0,0,0.

But you can spawn at multiple places in a seed. Therefore I suppose we aren't always spawning at 0,0,0 originally. Or maybe the coordinates are always relative from where you originally spawn...

enzo_gt said:

Don't jinx it! I never visit when it's in the community section. :p

Ferrio

Banned
So we got netherworld working on our multiserver, so my first time going to that place. Oh god it's horrible in there, we were able to get a bitch of glowdust.... but not much as we kept dying to ghasts. I don't know if the mod we're running causes it but we can't see the fireballs ghasts throw... which really sucks.

I guess with this mod we're using too we can make portals link to other servers now... so we might link up our two worlds.

Vinci

Danish
Salaadin said:
My biggest issue is the overall look of things. I build a fort, it looks like a large wooden box....perfectly square, no real design to it. A lot of the stuff I make comes out like this. Really, I should start thinking things through before I begin building. Planning feels like half the battle.

I found a large body of water and might start working on a bridge to get across it. That might be a good time to make something awesome.

I've only sketched out a couple of things before building structures. Generally speaking, I would suggest the following: Google Bruce Goff and Bart Prince. Look at the sort of designs they have created for inspiration - to get out of that whole box design concept - and then start to imagine what sort of things you would build in space, for example. Like, what would a satellite home look like. Think of a context foreign to architecture and then construct something within that environment. Don't focus on enclosing the space. Have a separate home for safety sake nearby, and just play with a host of different imaginary locales.

I noticed that when I first started seeing improvement in my design came after I developed an idea in my head for a zero-gravity environment. Once you escape from the mindset of traditional, earthbound architectural concepts, you'll find things come more naturally and don't require such extensive pre-planning.

Obviously there's nothing wrong with pre-planning, but sometimes it's nice to just fiddle around and end up creating something that surprises you.

evilgreg said:

Nope. Just tried it. New compass still points to original spawn point.

Ranger X

webrunner said:
The devs said it's intentional: they wanted the compass point to be constant.

This is stupid if true. Why not make it point North then? you know, since we know can change our spawnpoint, the barely useful compass becomes totally useless. I dunno if they realise.

webrunner

Ranger X said:
This is stupid if true. Why not make it point North then? you know, since we know can change our spawnpoint, the barely useful compass becomes totally useless. I dunno if they realise.

Well, it's like a real compass. i Guess.

The original spawn point is like.. the center pole, or something.

Ranger X

webrunner said:
Well, it's like a real compass. i Guess.

The original spawn point is like.. the center pole, or something.

I can agree with this. It's like our original spawnpoint is North pole. lol
The only problem is that Minecraft world isn't a sphere so this doesn't really work great.

Well if the compass is going to point to my original (and now irrelevant) spawn point, then I've no further need of a compass to be honest. It's a shame because the survivalist in me liked the idea that the only way you could navigate was with the compass and it was locked to that one point and that was all you had.

However, I also like the fact that you can F3 and get your current coordinates, and that is really handy for planning and connecting underground tunnels and rooms.

So .... hmmm.

Oh yeah, I've tested killing myself a few times after destroying my bed, and I always respawn about 300 blocks west of where the bed was. No idea why so far away.

Vlad

Ranger X said:

Having the compass point North would make it entirely redundant, given that you can navigate N/S/E/W by using the sun, moon, and clouds. Having it point to a fixed point on the map means that you can always find your way back "home" no matter what.

Vinci

Danish
Vlad said:
Having the compass point North would make it entirely redundant, given that you can navigate N/S/E/W by using the sun, moon, and clouds. Having it point to a fixed point on the map means that you can always find your way back "home" no matter what.

Yeah. North is pretty much a given.

Wool

Ferrio said:
So we got netherworld working on our multiserver, so my first time going to that place. Oh god it's horrible in there, we were able to get a bitch of glowdust.... but not much as we kept dying to ghasts. I don't know if the mod we're running causes it but we can't see the fireballs ghasts throw... which really sucks.

I guess with this mod we're using too we can make portals link to other servers now... so we might link up our two worlds.

Are you on Asscraft? It would be awesome if we could link Exano's server and the Asscraft server with portals! I have never been on Asscraft because I already have so many materials and things on Exano's it would suck starting over.

Sblargh

Banned
I like the constant compass, but I'm a pessimist, I'm always thinking like:
"I'll go on a travel, create a bed, die a few times, literally lose everything, even the bed. Now I'm lost, poor and stuck on nowhere".
Even then, I can spend a day "starting over" until I create a new compass and go back home.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ranger X said:

there is a bit of a disconnect between your home and your bed, your spawnpoint and your compass. I'm not really sure what they are trying to do with this respawn rule - do they want us to be able to spawn 'at home', rather than the original spawn point? Thats great if you've built a structure some distance away from spawn, and have a bed there you return to regularly.

But it fails immediately if you use a temporary bed on excursions, or use one of several beds in different locations. Sometimes I'd like to have a bed with me on trips, but if I die I'd like to go home where I have spare equipment - but this doesn't let you do that, there is no choice. Same with the compass.

what we need is a method of choosing where the spawn is. You can't assume its the last bed you slept in, thats the problem. Give us a little 'barber pole' we can plant to create 'spawn'. Then we can choose to either leave it at home, or take it with us on trips, and therefore choose where we respawn, and where the compass points.

mrklaw said:
what we need is a method of choosing where the spawn is. You can't assume its the last bed you slept in, thats the problem. Give us a little 'barber pole' we can plant to create 'spawn'. Then we can choose to either leave it at home, or take it with us on trips, and therefore choose where we respawn, and where the compass points.

That is a great idea.

Top Bottom