• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Dat water! Nice screens

Man, when's the next update coming out? I want to build on the server, but not until I have hoppers and quartz to play with.

I miss playing Minecraft.

Ever since the 1.8 Adventure update hit a long time ago my PC can't run the game for shit. Even Optifine/Mine hasn't improved it enough to be playable.

Just so much stuttering and lag.

Have there been any options developed lately other than Optifine that might help the game run better?

I have a pretty beefy computer, and lately Minecraft has been running like absolute ass, even with Optifine. But, I've found running in F11 full screen mode makes it run a lot smoother for some strange reason. Now if only I liked playing Minecraft fullscreen...

Any who, try F11 and see if it helps you any?

BraXzy

Trying to set up a server, but it's late, and I've never done this before. Something's gone wrong and I don't even understand what, someone willing to give me some help? :/

Ranger X

I have a pretty beefy computer, and lately Minecraft has been running like absolute ass, even with Optifine. But, I've found running in F11 full screen mode makes it run a lot smoother for some strange reason. Now if only I liked playing Minecraft fullscreen...

Any who, try F11 and see if it helps you any?

Why wouldn't you play fullscreen? I find window gaming sooooo distracting. Basically kills half the experience for me.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I like to be able to switch between other windows quickly. Music, tubeyou, GAF, etc

I almost always play Minecraft full screen. Pretty much I only play windowed when I'm doing server stuff in clanforge. I just find it more immersive that way.

defel

Finally finished the mob spawner ive been working on and its working incredibly well. Have about 10 mobs spawning per second its crazy xD Just gotta wait for hoppers now. The number of items left on the ground it causing lag lol

Mengy

Ha ha. Reminds me of PSO on the DC/GC, only with out the legoooooooos!

Aw man, I played the hell out of PSO on the DC with the GAF crew. Those were fun times. PSO on the DC was my first online game ever. Fond memories, I can still hear the lobby music in my head...

Aw man, I played the hell out of PSO on the DC with the GAF crew. Those were fun times. PSO on the DC was my first online game ever. Fond memories, I can still hear the lobby music in my head...
Was GAF even "Neo", then? I'd imagine Gaming Age and its forums were still in full swing in 2000/2001.

Does anyone know of an easy to follow/not overly complicated tutorial for building a mob farm on survival? I found a great spider spawner in a mineshaft pretty near my house, so it would be great to do something with it.

-Minsc-

MinscNeedle.jpg

The old days indeed. I do miss the chat bubbles. Always liked them better than simply displaying the text at the bottom of the screen.

My PSO time was on Cordellia 9 with the IGN crew. Fun times. I still check by the IGN Dreamcast Community Board a few times a year. They'd like nothing better than to see me on PSO 2. ;)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I like to be able to switch between other windows quickly. Music, tubeyou, GAF, etc
The way I see it, if I'm in Minecraft mode, I don't want to be switching around. So I put it in FS with F11 and use my iPad or switch out of FS when I need to search the Wiki or check the threads or something.

FullScreen takes over the entire graphics process of the computer in order to get the best performance. It's how Java handles Fullscreen. And why you get better performance because the OS turns off window drawing and gives all processes to Java.

Xun

at this point they might as well implement Mo'Creatures, which has horses. i've got that on my SP world, along with ExtrabiomesXL. it makes the world feel way more alive and varied.

Anyway. heres some pics i took on the server while i was playing around with a Shaders mod.
That looks fantastic.

This is how Minecraft should look by default.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well Priest Town became a failure far before I thought it would (in my own eyes at least). A massive thanks to those who built in it and provided the much needed entertainment to help me do so. I think I'm gonna have to ask a mod to copy and paste my house elsewhere though if that's alright. I don't feel as though I wish to be part of my own town any more.

The rate of expansion led to a poor build quality and it seems the town lost the theme I wanted, with many places still needing work done but no work being done on them as far as I knew. The natural beauty of the place in which I first built my house was being tampered with (the destruction of naturally formed hillsides in return for vertical faces and cobble) and there are many things in and around the area which I'm not a fan.

It's honestly sapping my drive to play the game any more. I don't want to have to move house. Nor do I want my items of value to be devalued so frugally when I spent so much time to harvest them and so I'm officially abandoning the town. If a mod could help me next time we're both on, I'd appreciate it. Cheeeers.

EDIT: Ugh, top of a new page? Fo' realz?

To a degree, this is kind of inevitable when playing with others in close proximity. There will always be that ugly building not in keeping with how you imagined the area, just through different interpretations of what looks good. If it goes beyond that though, and people start overpowering the community with their own sense of how it should be, then maybe you should raise it with someone?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The way I see it, if I'm in Minecraft mode, I don't want to be switching around. So I put it in FS with F11 and use my iPad or switch out of FS when I need to search the Wiki or check the threads or something.

FullScreen takes over the entire graphics process of the computer in order to get the best performance. It's how Java handles Fullscreen. And why you get better performance because the OS turns off window drawing and gives all processes to Java.

So even on a relatively crappy laptop with integrated graphics, minecraft might run ok in fullscreen? Need to try that on a spare laptop I have lying around.

Anyone on here on the waiting list for an oculus rift? Can't wait for mine and minecraft is a big reason. Spelunking is already scary sometimes, but if they add oculus support to minecraft it could be amazing.

Sarcasm

So even on a relatively crappy laptop with integrated graphics, minecraft might run ok in fullscreen? Need to try that on a spare laptop I have lying around.

Anyone on here on the waiting list for an oculus rift? Can't wait for mine and minecraft is a big reason. Spelunking is already scary sometimes, but if they add oculus support to minecraft it could be amazing.

I play on the road with my net book. Forty fps full screen, also gave mc access to four gobs of ram.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I have HD 4000 integrated graphics and an dual-core i7 processor if that makes any difference.

MinscNeedle.jpg

The old days indeed. I do miss the chat bubbles. Always liked them better than simply displaying the text at the bottom of the screen.

My PSO time was on Cordellia 9 with the IGN crew. Fun times. I still check by the IGN Dreamcast Community Board a few times a year. They'd like nothing better than to see me on PSO 2. ;)

Ah, IGN Boards. Memories. Used to be on the blogs, too, and had a very notable blog for several months. Then I moved on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I put a couple of mods on our family server, including essentials for warp. But some people are suggesting that warps be less easy to use, to encourage exploring and minecart use. Is there any way to stop people warping except in certain locations?

Woorloog

Banned
half a year for mod support ? i keep telling myself that there is only months to wait for official mod support for like, 2 years now i think.

No official estimate given. I just threw that "half a year" there, for it is constantly late.
To be honest, i doubt we get the mod support withing half a year... a year more like.

Mengy

Is it just me or is the server restarting itself a lot these days?

I hadn't noticed, been playing at nights with no problems. But according to clanforge yeah the server has been restarting quite a bit due to insufficient memory errors. No idea what's causing them...?

One time I was just exploring around what people built, Dry logged on, then like 3 minutes later, "Warning: Server restarting yadda yadda". Maybe there's too much stuff on the server :p

Also, playing around in the latest snapshot (13w10a).... Did they sneak in something that kills mob spawn rooms?

I made a new flat world and proceeded to build 3 slightly different grinders... Nothing is spawning in the dark rooms except a handful of bats. Occasionally 1 or 2 mobs will spawn, but that's it.

I know it shouldn't really matter, but I waited for night fall and bam, there's a million monsters all over the ground. So I torched it all up! Now nothing is spawning on the ground or in my spawn room day or night.

I don't get it!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone had problems running mcmyadmin and having the server lose a days work? We spent a ton of time on Sunday digging a big hole and working on a marketplace, but on Monday it had all rolled back. I tried downloading Sunday nights backup but that was already rolled back. Sometimes it seems to skip a day for backups, not sure why.

defel

One time I was just exploring around what people built, Dry logged on, then like 3 minutes later, "Warning: Server restarting yadda yadda". Maybe there's too much stuff on the server :p

Also, playing around in the latest snapshot (13w10a).... Did they sneak in something that kills mob spawn rooms?

I made a new flat world and proceeded to build 3 slightly different grinders... Nothing is spawning in the dark rooms except a handful of bats. Occasionally 1 or 2 mobs will spawn, but that's it.

I know it shouldn't really matter, but I waited for night fall and bam, there's a million monsters all over the ground. So I torched it all up! Now nothing is spawning on the ground or in my spawn room day or night.

I don't get it!

Strange. Obvious question: What material are the spawning rooms made from?

Mengy

Man, patch 1.5 is adding quite a bit of cool stuff to Minecraft:

- quartz ore in the nether
- quartz slabs, stairs, blocks
- comparator redstone device
- daylight redstone sensor
- redstone blocks
- nether brick smelting
- hoppers
- won't ruin oceans or rivers anymore by grabbing a bucket of water from them!
- improved mob difficulties

I'm gonna start building a lot more with nether bricks now, I've got a few chests full of netherrack just waiting to be smelted! And it's time to start playing around with redstone again, I always have so much fun just experimenting with it once I actually take the time to do so. With how explored Neocraft is now though it's gonna be tough finding some quartz in the nether.

Man, patch 1.5 is adding quite a bit of cool stuff to Minecraft:

- quartz ore in the nether
- quartz slabs, stairs, blocks
- comparator redstone device
- daylight redstone sensor
- redstone blocks
- nether brick smelting
- hoppers
- won't ruin oceans or rivers anymore by grabbing a bucket of water from them!
- improved mob difficulties

I'm gonna start building a lot more with nether bricks now, I've got a few chests full of netherrack just waiting to be smelted! And it's time to start playing around with redstone again, I always have so much fun just experimenting with it once I actually take the time to do so. With how explored Neocraft is now though it's gonna be tough finding some quartz in the nether.

As soon as this hits the server i'll be back I promise. Just getting distracted with Guild Wars 2 at the moment, but new blocks will always bring me back.

Mengy

As soon as this hits the server i'll be back I promise. Just getting distracted with Guild Wars 2 at the moment, but new blocks will always bring me back.

Yeah, haven't seen you on in awhile.

I'm thinking about building a new mountain base on the server. Not because I need one, but I just have the itch to turn a mountain into a huge underground themed base, with all manner of huge hallways and rooms and such. I'm feeling a little bit dwarven lately....

I'm thinking about building a new mountain base on the server. Not because I need one, but I just have the itch to turn a mountain into a huge underground themed base, with all manner of huge hallways and rooms and such. I'm feeling a little bit dwarven lately....

Heh I have been having a similar urge to build a huge fortress in a mountain as well. Or get nine to make me a nice mountainous island with awesome peaks and stuff to just go to town in.

Grinchy

Banned
My first "good" world spawned me right in front of an enormous mountain that I hollowed out. It was awesome.

edit- i found an old pic

Lately I've been working on a treehouse. I made the big ass tree and now I'm deciding how I want to shape the actual house. I was going to do a circle at first, but then I went with more of a plus sign. I'm still kind of tinkering with it. And of course, it will be covered in vines like the rest of the forest.

(Click for full size)

Sounds like I may need to hurry up with my fortress expansion plans then so I can be first. :p

So guys, I was thinking about this today, but we haven't done a group event on the server in a bit. We only have 10 slots now, but would doing something together (be it a build or some kind of PvP competition) appeal to you guys? I have a few ideas.

Top Bottom