• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Sounds like I may need to hurry up with my fortress expansion plans then so I can be first. :p

I've been working on a mini-moria underneath priest town for a little while now. I've not made much progress yet but I have grand plans for it before it's done. If you go through the cove on the coast and follow that path, you will hopefully be able to find it. I intend it to be a huge room full of interlinking and crossing pathways with rooms and such all the way up to the top. It's gonna take ageeees.

Xun

So, here's what i have been working on.

finished the Visitors center for my Jurassic park island. if you want to check it out ive got a portal near spawn.

pics!

Link to Gallery

already got the island built (thanks to charlie!). just has no trees and is completely flat at the moment.
I wish I could get my game looking like that.

It actually makes Minecraft look decent.

Grinchy

Banned
The other day I got the GLSL shaders working and I tried a handful of different shader packs, but it all ran like crap. I could run it at a very small, windowed resolution at 60 frames, but anything other than that just dipped significantly. It looked AWESOME though.

The way the light from the sunset would shine in through windows and reflect off of surfaces was so incredibly convincing.

edit- I have been messing around with the shaders again and damn, it looks so good. I wish I could run this at full screen or at least this with a constant framerate.

2013-03-10_05.06.57gbs4q.png
2013-03-10_05.07.447rsqg.png
2013-03-10_05.07.37ousq0.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man the server's been lonely lately, most times I'm the only one online. Where did everyone go?

Played a bit of my single player main world last night, been awhile since I did that. Totally forgot how creepers blow holes in things, lol. Also going back to crappy enchanted tools was a bucket of water to the face. Kinda nice to have the survival put back into the game though. Once 1.5 hits this week I think I'm going to wander off far in one direction and start a new base in my SSP main world. I really want some of that nether quartz material but I'll need a fresh patch of nether to find it in.

defel

Been studying a lot for exams recently and also waiting on 1.5. I need hoppers to make my mob farm work properly since they borked mobs dropping into water streams. Ive been playing more offline.

Those of you interested in the technical side of Minecraft check out Panda4994's LP series. Recently he has built a minecraft randomizer that answers a yes or no question using the dragon egg, automatic strip mining using a Wither in a minecart (which is now patched), an AFK xp farm using silverfish and dogs and many more. Its a really good series and he is a very clever player.

Effect

The other day I got the GLSL shaders working and I tried a handful of different shader packs, but it all ran like crap. I could run it at a very small, windowed resolution at 60 frames, but anything other than that just dipped significantly. It looked AWESOME though.

The way the light from the sunset would shine in through windows and reflect off of surfaces was so incredibly convincing.

edit- I have been messing around with the shaders again and damn, it looks so good. I wish I could run this at full screen or at least this with a constant framerate.

Seeing mods like this makes me want to finally cave and buy Minecraft. I've tried the demo before but the look of the game has always made me hold off. Not that I have a problem with how it looks overall it would just get to me seeing it's look several hours at a time.

I've also been worried about just how much fun can be hand in the game solo. I would have to play it that way as I know of no one that plays. So that means either trying to build something or just doing the survival mode. I try to look at various videos on youtube and it largely seems to be a co-op experience. At least to seemingly get the most enjoyment out of it. How true is this? Or can it easily be enjoyable solo?

Mengy

Seeing mods like this makes me want to finally cave and buy Minecraft. I've tried the demo before but the look of the game has always made me hold off. Not that I have a problem with how it looks overall it would just get to me seeing it's look several hours at a time.

I've also been worried about just how much fun can be hand in the game solo. I would have to play it that way as I know of no one that plays. So that means either trying to build something or just doing the survival mode. I try to look at various videos on youtube and it largely seems to be a co-op experience. At least to seemingly get the most enjoyment out of it. How true is this? Or can it easily be enjoyable solo?

The graphics of the game do look old school, but honestly I prefer the default look of the game. Call me a purist I guess. The great thing is that using texture packs is incredibly easy to do.

As for solo vs. multiplayer. You really don't ever have to play by yourself. There are thousands of active servers out there, and we even have our own Neocraft server here for GAF players. I played Minecraft by myself for over a year, starting way back in the alpha days of the game. Nowadays I usually prefer to play the game online with others, it's a very fun multiplayer experience and some of the best hours of Minecrafting for me were on the Neocraft server. But I do still get into moods when I play offline in any one of my dozen or more single player worlds. There is something peaceful and relaxing about playing the game solo that I enjoy very much. Even more so now that the game has food and hunger. The survival aspect added a lot of replayability for me, as I always play in survival mode with the difficulty on hard.

Sometimes playing Minecraft can be like hours of relaxing creative exploring interspersed with seconds of sheer terror when you happen upon a creeper around the corner, or a skeleton decides to rain arrows down on you from above, or a poisonous pack of spiders run to greet you deep in some abandoned mineshaft, and you are running low on torches and food and really don't remember how to get back to your base anymore.

Let's put it this way: I've spent literally hundreds of hours playing this game both solo and multiplayer, so yeah I think it's fun to play. If you like Lego, or creative building games, or spelunking caves in any way at all, then I'd say buy it, lol.

I always thought the spelunking was the best part, personally. Building stuff tends to be kinda dull in comparison for me; I tend to just make a house for practicality purposes (gotta store my shit somewhere) and leave it at that.

Mengy

I always thought the spelunking was the best part, personally. Building stuff tends to be kinda dull in comparison for me; I tend to just make a house for practicality purposes (gotta store my shit somewhere) and leave it at that.

I agree on the caving (this game has given me a spelunking addiction), but I go back and forth between spelunking/exploring and building stuff. I only use creative to quickly test out architecture and style stuff, but I could never play in creative mode. IMHO that just takes all the fun out of the game.

I really do enjoy base building in Minecraft though.

The biggest thing that keeps drawing me back to solo playing offline is the exploring. I mean the world is infinite in size, and this game has a knack of always surprising you with the landscapes and scenery it can create. My solo play goes like this: build me a large base that can provide me with food and shelter and anything I need, then dig deep beneath it and start mining for ores. Once I get bored with that, pack up some essentials plus a bed and head out into the wild blue yonder. I just pick a direction and wander on a sightseeing tour. Once I find a cool spot that I really like, I set up a base camp and start the whole thing over again.

Yeah, I've got some really large single player worlds...

Grinchy

Banned

I am so used to playing solo now. There was a point when I'd only play online and during that time I couldn't imagine ever going back to single player. Playing online is awesome. I'm back to just playing single player now though. I don't have enough time to build online and participate in stuff with other people, so I don't want to go on and have some half-built structure being an eyesore for everyone else.

I also am more into the survival mode aspect. When it's too easy to build and live, the game becomes very boring to me. The server I used to play on became arguably more of a creative server than a survival one. That's ok since it's what the people wanted, but it made me appreciate single player again. The game is very good in single player.

Mengy

I also am more into the survival mode aspect. When it's too easy to build and live, the game becomes very boring to me. The server I used to play on became arguably more of a creative server than a survival one. That's ok since it's what the people wanted, but it made me appreciate single player again. The game is very good in single player.

Yeah, deep down I am too. The survival mode completely makes the game for me. It's one of the few small things I always didn't like about Neocraft, all of the warps and gates and the /home command really take the adventure and exploration out of the game. Makes building roads and rails just fun projects instead of needs for survival, which diminishes the whole game IMHO. Not to mention negating the nether as a means of fast travel over long distances.

But I'm very much in the minority of what the Neocraft players want, so I get my survival fix from my solo worlds. :) And I've built many a road and minecart spur on the server too.

I've often wished that Neocraft had an area or a zone where warps and flying and such didn't work at all, but I don't even know if something like that is possible. I seldom use the warps on the server anyway, forcing myself to run around chugging speed potions or riding the minecarts or using the nether. Makes it worse that I'm a mod and all I have to do is enter creative mode and I can fly as well. Sometimes I really exhibit superhuman amounts of self control to keep myself from doing that, lol. But I know that if I fall into that habit then I'll just lose interest, so I don't (unless I'm doing mod type stuff on the server, then I justify using my God like powers...).

Mengy

Sounds like 1.5 was released this morning:

1.5 Features:

- Added Redstone Comparator (used in Redstone logic)
- Added Hopper (collects items and moves them to containers)
- Added Dropper (similar to Dispensers, but always drops the item)
- Added Activator Rail (activates TNT Minecarts)
- Added Daylight Sensor
- Added Trapped Chest
- Added Weighed Pressure Plate
- Added Block of Redstone
- Added Nether Brick (item)
- Added Nether Quartz and ore
- Added Block of Quartz, with half blocks and chiseled variants
- New command: /scoreboard
- New command: /effect
- Containers and mobs can have custom names
- Inventory management has been changed, for example you can drag-place items over slots
- Texture packs now have separate images for each block and item, and can have animations
- Nether Quartz Ore now spawns in the Nether
- Smooth lighting now has three settings (none, minimal, maximum)
- More detailed death messages
- Some hostile mobs now are harder in Hard difficulty
- Many, many, bug fixes - more than you can shake a stick at
- Removed Herobrine

I know what I'm doing tonight: trekking off into a new direction on my single player main world, setting up some far away base in a new land, and then heading into the nether hunting quartz. I really want to use quartz as a building material. Oh yeah, and I'll be smelting tons of netherrack to make nether bricks and stairs. In fact, I may just build my entire new base out of nether quartz and nether bricks.

I'm really going to miss Herobrine though...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does bukkit have a way to subscribe to notifications for new releases? Sometimes it can take a while for a new release and it'd be convenient to get a mail rather than constantly visiting their site

789shadow

Banned
Okay gentlemen, since 1.5 is out, nothing works anymore, so I need new versions of Magic Launcher, ModLoader, Rei's Minimap, and Optifine.

So while I'm thinking about it, I'd like to organize a PvP event on the server sometime in the next two weeks. It'll be open to everyone who wants to do it.

I'm thinking we can finally put Foxtrot Dome in the original Dome City to use or do it somewhere else, like Pioneer Town.

The inspiration is actually what the Mindcrack guys have been doing lately: PvP on their own builds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEbwRN4O6NU

So basic rules:

- Everyone gets the same gear: Iron armor, iron swords, bow and half-stack of arrows, couple loaves of bread or other food item.
- No building or breaking blocks
- When you die, you can spectate but no interference allowed (i.e. don't hit people who are fighting). Likewise, PvPers, don't kill spectators.

I can add in more rules as I think about it. Sound interesting to you guys?

789shadow

Banned
So while I'm thinking about it, I'd like to organize a PvP event on the server sometime in the next two weeks. It'll be open to everyone who wants to do it.

I'm thinking we can finally put Foxtrot Dome in the original Dome City to use or do it somewhere else, like Pioneer Town.

The inspiration is actually what the Mindcrack guys have been doing lately: PvP on their own builds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEbwRN4O6NU

So basic rules:

- Everyone gets the same gear: Iron armor, iron swords, bow and half-stack of arrows, couple loaves of bread or other food item.
- No building or breaking blocks
- When you die, you can spectate but no interference allowed (i.e. don't hit people who are fighting). Likewise, PvPers, don't kill spectators.

I can add in more rules as I think about it. Sound interesting to you guys?
Absolutely.

789shadow

Banned
What the fuck, I can't get ModLoader working again. It won't go into Magic Launcher, and I can't open the minecraft jar file with 7Zip. Help?

Grinchy

Banned
I know what I'm doing tonight: trekking off into a new direction on my single player main world, setting up some far away base in a new land, and then heading into the nether hunting quartz. I really want to use quartz as a building material. Oh yeah, and I'll be smelting tons of netherrack to make nether bricks and stairs. In fact, I may just build my entire new base out of nether quartz and nether bricks.

I'm really going to miss Herobrine though...

I totally want to do this too. I've looked at the wiki for nether portals, and for whatever reason I just still do not completely understand how the portals work. Right now I already have a portal to the nether and I have a little base there near a stronghold. If i venture out into newly generated chunks in my world, creating a nether portal there will bring me to a new part of the nether where I can find the new material?

defel

I totally want to do this too. I've looked at the wiki for nether portals, and for whatever reason I just still do not completely understand how the portals work. Right now I already have a portal to the nether and I have a little base there near a stronghold. If i venture out into newly generated chunks in my world, creating a nether portal there will bring me to a new part of the nether where I can find the new material?

Just travel in the nether since nether distances are 8 times shorter than the overworld. As your running thought the nether you can tell when you are generating new chunks because the game will slow down and you will see fresh lava pouring down from the ceiling. Then you know you can find quartz in these chunks. Its relatively common apparently.

Grinchy

Banned
How do I do this?

well you can go into your bin folder and just delete minecraft.jar. Then just open Minecraft as you normally would and it will re-download the missing file. That will give you an untouched minecraft.jar file.

You can even copy that somewhere so you don't have to download it anymore if you ever have problems.

789shadow

Banned
well you can go into your bin folder and just delete minecraft.jar. Then just open Minecraft as you normally would and it will re-download the missing file. That will give you an untouched minecraft.jar file.

You can even copy that somewhere so you don't have to download it anymore if you ever have problems.
Now Minecraft is stuck at a Done Loading screen. :(

EDIT: Fixed via forced update.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Minecraft really needs an official way to undo updates in case your kids (or you) accidentally hit 'yes' to update but your servers don't update.

Grinchy

Banned
Just travel in the nether since nether distances are 8 times shorter than the overworld. As your running thought the nether you can tell when you are generating new chunks because the game will slow down and you will see fresh lava pouring down from the ceiling. Then you know you can find quartz in these chunks. Its relatively common apparently.

That sounds like the better way of going about it, thanks. I have been wanting to build something crazy in the nether lately anyway so this will be a good excuse to go exploring in it.

Grinchy

Banned
I made my way through the nether and I have a safe (and LONG) passage to a new chunk. I have a couple stacks of the new stuff already.

You can revert back to 1.4.7 using the restore to previous version feature. Go to your Minecraft bin and right click and hit properties, go to previous version, pick old one, click restore, boom.

Or don't :)

Oh, I've been around long enough to know to never update until the server does. I only ever play online anyways.

And by "play", I mean log in and do jack shit. :p

Grinchy

Banned
Are the Zombie Pigmen mobs supposed to be completely neutral until you hit them now? I didn't see it in the notes on the wiki. It makes the Nether much more explorable since I just have to worry about ghasts.

Grinchy

Banned
Really? I feel like I remember them chasing after me whenever I was close. I have no idea why I remember it that way...

Mengy

So I ended up starting a whole new single player world last night instead of playing my good old main world, lol. Generated a random seed and ended up starting on an island, but with a huge mountain just barely in sight off the south coast a bit. Punched some trees, built a boat and sailed on over. After exploring a bit turns out it is a very large kinda T-shaped mountain, with one side facing a huge ocean and the other bordering two different biomes: a swamp and a tundra. Lots of caves openings outside of the mountain, with lots of internal caves to explore.

Once again the "start a new game from scratch" bug has bitten me with Minecraft. For some reason the gameplay of starting out with nothing at all always appeals to me in this game. I almost died twice getting my foothold on the mountain, but now I've got an iron sword and a food supply and the beginnings of a rather large extensive base going on. Tonight I'll start a branch mine, find some diamond, mine some obsidian, make a nether portal, and go out in search of some netherrack and quartz.

Then I'm going to mine the hell out of some redstone and wire up my entire base for automatic lights that come on at night, lol. I still sometimes can't beleive I bought ths game for $14....

Top Bottom