• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Just bought Minecraft (also installed Tekkit but whatevs). Is there a GAF server on here (I can't see the address in the OP if there is any) to hang out in and learn from/with the community?

Hey, guys. Haven't been on the server for a looooooong time but I have been playing singleplayer a lot lately.

I always use the Millenaire and More Creatures mod. Makes the game really fun and gives me a sense of purpose.

I keep helping the villages improve and build transportation between my base and the villages (road, rail etc)

I like it a lot.

Now for questions:

1 - Have you guys ever used or thought about using mods on the server?

2 - What version is the server on now?

Thanks. I still check the thread from time to time and see you guys making great stuff. :)

Woorloog

Banned
Hey, guys. Haven't been on the server for a looooooong time but I have been playing singleplayer a lot lately.

I always use the Millenaire and More Creatures mod. Makes the game really fun and gives me a sense of purpose.

I keep helping the villages improve and build transportation between my base and the villages (road, rail etc)

I like it a lot.

Now for questions:

1 - Have you guys ever used or thought about using mods on the server?

2 - What version is the server on now?

Thanks. I still check the thread from time to time and see you guys making great stuff. :)

1 Not my decision or anything but i think the server is good as it is, without mods. EDIT we're talking about Neocraft right?

2 1.4.7, ie the latest official.

The only mod i remember liking is IndustrialCraft. Or whatever it is called now.
I hatedhow mods are pain to install.

1 Not my decision or anything but i think the server is good as it is, without mods. EDIT we're talking about Neocraft right?

2 1.4.7, ie the latest official.

The only mod i remember liking is IndustrialCraft. Or whatever it is called now.
I hatedhow mods are pain to install.

Some can be sure, but the ones I have are simple.

Of course, I dont want to impose anything on others. Just thought Id share a couple I like. Thanks for the reply. :)

Bentles

Check out CNBMinecraft

http://www.youtube.com/user/CNBMinecraft/videos?view=0

its 4x4 but maybe it can be modified. These things are a bitch to build in survival. I built 4 3x3 ones about a year ago on Neocraft only for an update to break all of them :/

Oh man that is cool. I can appreciate the elegance of this design now I've been doing redstone myself. It's fast, looks good and is nice and compact. I hope they never remove buds and the 1 tick sticky piston trick or things like this won't be possible.

Grinchy

Banned
I did a ton of stuff the other night in my SP world. I bred some villagers, touched up their whole village, and started making an enormous tree fort thing nearby. I came back to my game last night and found my save file was missing everything I had just done. It's like 3+ hours of stuff just gone.

Has this happened to anyone else before? I've never had it screw up like this before.

-Minsc-

Just throwing this out there. I said a while back that I'd do a wither skeleton farm. From the looks of things I'm never going to get to it so if anyone wants to take up that project it's fine by me. (assuming one hasn't all ready) :)

Ranger X

Just throwing this out there. I said a while back that I'd do a wither skeleton farm. From the looks of things I'm never going to get to it so if anyone wants to take up that project it's fine by me. (assuming one hasn't all ready) :)

Might be interested. Can you tell me the exact conditions needed to make those squeleton spawn or link me to some explanations?

Sarcasm

How to host a local server (as in LAN) for wife and I that uses mods? I don't know what mods are out there but I know for sure I want something where your stuff becomes indestructible by creepers etc (but you still get hurt). I know this exists cause we play on a server invited by a friend (don't know owner and kinda don't want them to know).

I will be playing on same machine that would have the server and wife can join just using the same IP. The basic server runs fine.

Javaman

Do you guys have any snapshots of the cool worlds you've built? My son is a big Minecraft nut and would love to explore some. How do you install other's worlds? Thanks!

spuit*11

Banned
Do you guys have any snapshots of the cool worlds you've built? My son is a big Minecraft nut and would love to explore some. How do you install other's worlds? Thanks!
Assuming you're running Windows (7?).

Drop the world/save folder in this directory:

C:\Users\<<WINDOWS_USERNAME>>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

spuit*11

Banned
Can anyone spot where moria is on there? I've been trying for ages to try and find it without the warps obviously.

Man I just spend like two hours on a nostalgia trip all over the old map. Just like we left it, down to the inventory.

untitled6gf8q.png

Moria is at;

x: -1500
z: 11

Toki1776

:)
I'm sure I still have several copies of that floating around on my hard drive. It certainly does have some neat stuff on it.

Just getting back into the game a bit after an extended break... kinda forgot how much I enjoy starting a fresh new world, getting a basic setup going as I plan what to do next.
I think that, unless something comes out that somehow replicates that feeling and expands upon it, Minecraft is a game I will keep coming back to.

Woorloog

Banned
I have claimed a village in the East for myself.
It is odd village, as if an earthquake had hit it, with pits and caves.
Do not bother my villagers!

789shadow

Banned
I'm having a serious problem with procrastinating building my home base in my new SP world. I need to just DO IT. It'll end up as a square, but that's okay.

Well Priest Town became a failure far before I thought it would (in my own eyes at least). A massive thanks to those who built in it and provided the much needed entertainment to help me do so. I think I'm gonna have to ask a mod to copy and paste my house elsewhere though if that's alright. My co-developer (at a push) has driven me to the end of my tether concerning certain things and has basically forced my hand and I don't feel as though I wish to be part of my own town any more.

The rate of expansion led to a poor build quality and it seems the town lost the theme I wanted, with many places still needing work done but no work being done on them as far as I knew. The natural beauty of the place in which I first built my house was being tampered with (the destruction of naturally formed hillsides in return for vertical faces and cobble) and there are many things in and around the area which I'm not a fan of but according to the person who made them, will not be changed because "it's done" (and obviously i have no right to meddle with someone else's builds, unless it's his previously notorious tower of rodnoG from the old al-medina)

I understand the beauty in playing multiplayer on this game as I feel it really makes the experience. I know that there are no rules concerning building but that was what I asked of my co-developer and he has taken matters into his own hands and has been building stuff from youtube blueprints which I'm not keen on and broken the agreement that we originally made when I said he was cool to build next to me.

It's honestly sapping my drive to play the game any more. I don't want to have to move house. Nor do I want my items of value to be devalued so frugally when I spent so much time to harvest them and so I'm officially abandoning the town. If a mod could help me next time we're both on, I'd appreciate it. Cheeeers.

EDIT: Ugh, top of a new page? Fo' realz?

Man, really sorry to hear that. If there's anything I built wrong, or if you want me to tear down anything I built there so you can use the space for something else, please let me know. I don't want you to have to move house, either, and I'd rather do what I can on my part to make sure you don't need to.

-Minsc-

*snip*

It's honestly sapping my drive to play the game any more. I don't want to have to move house. Nor do I want my items of value to be devalued so frugally when I spent so much time to harvest them and so I'm officially abandoning the town. If a mod could help me next time we're both on, I'd appreciate it. Cheeeers.

EDIT: Ugh, top of a new page? Fo' realz?

That's too bad to hear. Keeping a theme in stone on a community build can be difficult. People all have different build styles. Hopefully this doesn't keep you away from the server. :)

Now, if someone is blatantly ignoring your wishes that is not cool. If it's your build it's your rules.

Man, really sorry to hear that. If there's anything I built wrong, or if you want me to tear down anything I built there so you can use the space for something else, please let me know. I don't want you to have to move house, either, and I'd rather do what I can on my part to make sure you don't need to.

Your place is great man. It's no problem to me being there whatsoever. Every member of Gaf who has built so far has done a stellar job and I'm really proud and happy that people have come to help the town grow. Even those in creative. I normally don't like creative mode because from my experiences, people tend to use the most valuable materials as though they were cobble and this hasn't really happened with Priest town.

What's the point in me spending an evening making bookshelves if my counterpart is going to throw a tonne down in 30 seconds? I understand that some may get bored of the survival format once they've exhausted all of it's potential. I get that. It will happen to us all one day. Neocraft is ultimately a place for our community to show off it's artistic talents within the game and I love that about the place. There are so many beautiful builds and so many many more that I've yet to explore. It's almost as if there is no value placed on anything in my gaff any more.

-Minsc-

@ Barnaby

On NeoCraft the Lord of a build can deem it survival only. So while we do allow creative building, if this goes against the building code of the build leader then said person will have to be dealt with.

As for the "real life" side of things I'll share my wisdom. A few years ago I rented out a room in my house. At some point he was laid off from his job and stopped paying. First I let it slide as he promised to pay when he started working again. To make a long story short these promises dragged on. Unfortunately for me, at the time I was not near as confident in myself as I am now so I was unable to confront him. Eventually I did man up (as best I could) and gave him the word it was time to hit the road. Of course, this was after letting him stay nearly a year for "free".

So the short of it, it may come time for either him to hit the road or you find another place (assuming you are both splitting the rent). If he's any sort of friend he'll see how serious the situation is. Leaving things as they are and you being miserable is never a good option.

On NeoCraft the Lord of a build can deem it survival only. So while we do allow creative building, if this goes against the building code of the build leader then said person will have to be dealt with.

I am happy for people to use creative. It's easier and lets different playstyles come together under my roof and flex their abilities and also helps grow the town more quickly.

Woorloog

Banned
My village felt a tad small. It is as if the villagers didn't utilize all the game-generated houses. Maybe population increase... ran across this "breeder" house in the MC wiki. Just walls and walls covered with doors. Worked just fine... this game is surreal.

Is there like a NeoGaf server of some sort? Been craving some Minecraft lately, wondering if this is a thing. Thanks!

Third post of this thread, quote the post to see server IPs.
If you go come to Neocraft, you need to PM Ark (or someone else?) to get citizen status (so that you can actually do things).

Woorloog

Banned
tl;drs in the end.
PART1, Vanilla MC (and Neocraft)

So. Playing on Neocraft is fun but... well, Minecraft needs more... game in it. Building stuff is fun, i really love it. But i'd like to have some purpose for that too, not just doing it for its own sake.
In Vanilla MC, i can find only a few reasons:
-I built a wall around a village to defend it. And that was that, the villagers don't give a shit and i have no more zombies to kill to defend the village.
-Farming to get food to feed a stupid, boring game mechanic.
-Building a house for furnaces and crafting bench, and a storage.
-Building a wizard's tower for library, enchanting altar, and an alchemy lab.
-Building a portal to the Nether and End, and containing buildings for them.
These three don't really differ from each other. Also, no later purpose really.

I suppose there's also redstone circuits and various buildings using it. Not my thing, about the only thing i use redstone for is to make a gate since doors don't really feel like gates. Also, minecart accelerators.
I find redstone things kinda boring since i can use them to automate various things, such as having a minecart to automatically go empty itself from mined ores (though it seems the next update may scratch this itch, partially).

And then there's exploring and survival. Pretty pointless as they're, there's no cool unique treasures, survival is really easy, and without HC mode enabled, it is not survival really. Sure, there's XP loss but... well, it is a big loss but a frustrating one, not interesting, not one that makes one to think how to avoid it in the future, how to recoup losses easily and such. Losing can be fun, in MC it is not.

And there's lack of experimenting. Or at least i feel there's nothing to experiment with. Redstone things either work or not.

---

PART 2, resolving issue via mods and single player, for now.

So, i'm looking for mods, maybe they'll fix some of these issues, though i'll have to do things alone. Not that it changes much from Neocraft, where the multiplayer aspect means being able to chat. Or do we have any community projects ongoing?

Anyway, first mod i looked to was IndustrialCraft. It does suffer from similar issues as normal Minecraft, though at least it has Nuclear Reactors. Experimenting with those is fun.
Still, good core mod, i figured that just slapping some other mods around it would make things more interesting.
Next, i look toward BuildCraft. Would fix, partially at least, lack of automation. I can automate mining with certain things. I'm not a fan of digging tunnels in MC, claustrophobic and monotonous.
While looking at whether those two play well togheter, i ran across term "Technic" and remembered the Technic Pack. Great, it has those AND much more.
Download, test. And ran to problems right away.
1) Starting with performance issues. For some reason, Technic Pack doesn't use proper GPU by default, took sometime to fix that, finally figuring out i have to force Java-itself to use the correct GPU (MC-itself uses correct one by default).
2) Next up i ran across some odd issue where the game's frame rate drops to practically zero in dense forests and jungles. Transparency issue... I fix it by changing leaves to opaque. The thing is, i don't have this issue with Vanilla MC. So, i start researching what's wrong...
3) Didn't take long before i got sidetracked. Noticed that Technic Pack launcher offers various versions of the modpack. Wait, i've been playing with MC1.2.5, with Technic Pack being some 7.2 (latest being 7.5., running MC 1.4.6 but it is dev-build).
4a) Reading about the mods included in the mod pack. I notice a few interesting ones. Such as Railcraft and Steve's Carts. And what is this Thaumcraft... with its taint, something that happens without me doing anything BUT i have to do something about it? With so many other things to do? Sucks. Alone, the mod does seem kinda intriguing, giving me a goal...
4b) What mods are included in the pack varies beetween versions. So, what does this mean if i want to update? Restart world? Sucks. I guess i won't be using this pack anymore.

Thaumcraft. Very intriguing. Magic stuff, researching (kind of experimenting?), corruption and stuff. As i wrote, gives me goals. With a couple of railmods i mentioned and maybe IndustrialCraft, and some monster addition i should have much more interesting gaming experience than Vanilla Minecraft gives.
Of course making my own mod pack for myself... argh, this isn't going to be easy.

Also, what about the Aether or other... worldchanging mods?

Any recommendations for something that enhances survival aspects of the game? EDIT also wanting mods that enchance exploration: cool places, ruins, artifacts, stuff like that. Also, generally wanting some meaningfull stuff. I don't need a game-ending goal, i'm fine with never ending games as long as i have interesting stuff to do. RPG elements are fine as well.
EDIT yet another thing i seek: wondrous places. Anything that feels magical and wonderful is welcome.

---------------------------

TL:DRs:
PART1: I have love-hate relationship with this game. Neocraft feels like singleplayer with chat, fun but i need more.

PART2: Mods might help but are problematic for various reasons. Recommendations?

EDIT NOT critizing Neocraft for being a vanilla server. It is a good thing, especially for more casual gamers and newer players. Also good for taking breaks from modded things. It is me, not you, where the issue lies.

Who the fuck writes a game's name in quotation marks? Doesn't writer know when they're supposed to be used?

defel

Try Feed the Beast mod pack. Its very similar to the Technic pack but not as game breaking (both mechanically and computationally). I think Technic pack was just someone cobbling together a bunch of mods into one package whereas FTB is built more from the "ground up" with the combination in mind so it might run better. Dont be surprised if it runs like ass tho.

Interesting to read your perspective but I disagree with almost everything (lol). When I get bored once I feel like Ive completed the game or reached end-game I just start afresh. The first 10 hours of any world where you build your house and start make a little home, begin exploring the local environment and master your surroundings is the best bit. Ill give you that it tails off eventually but the beauty lies in the simplicity so its just a trade-off that has to exist imo.

Try watching some youtube video series to inspire you. I learnt more about the game watching youtube than actually playing it.

Woorloog

Banned
Try Feed the Beast mod pack. Its very similar to the Technic pack but not as game breaking (both mechanically and computationally). I think Technic pack was just someone cobbling together a bunch of mods into one package whereas FTB is built more from the "ground up" with the combination in mind so it might run better. Dont be surprised if it runs like ass tho.

Interesting to read your perspective but I disagree with almost everything (lol). When I get bored once I feel like Ive completed the game or reached end-game I just start afresh. The first 10 hours of any world where you build your house and start make a little home, begin exploring the local environment and master your surroundings is the best bit. Ill give you that it tails off eventually but the beauty lies in the simplicity so its just a trade-off that has to exist imo.

Try watching some youtube video series to inspire you. I learnt more about the game watching youtube than actually playing it.

Noticed FTB pack just half an hour ago but didn't read more about it yet (have a bunch of tabs open... along with a long mod list for MC...). Technic pack definetly lacks focus, combining magical and industrial mods in one pack but not explaining why.

I can't really experiment with things, unlike in, say, the Elder Scrolls series, i can't experiment with skill-builds or stuff like that. The Elder Scrolls games are practically infinite, and i can do a lot of stuff with one character, a lot while doing only a fraction of game's quests and then try another character to do different things.
MC doesn't work like that, it doesn't change really while starting over, i might just as well travel 1000 blocks without items and set up another shop there.
Also unlike the Elder Scrolls or many other games, i don't have anything keeping me advancing one... hmm, well, world (since i can't say "character" really). There is no "One more turn" or "one more dungeon" or things like that, because things in MC are not rewarding enough. Well, finding a new dungeon is kinda reward in itself but...

I've played MC for quite long. Two years? More? I don't remember anymore. There's nothing more to be learned from Vanilla, at least not about stuff i'm interested in.
Thanks for the suggestion but i think i'll pass, i have no patience for watching videos, waiting for the boring (as they invariable tend to be) talker to get to the point, with bad camera work and such. (I honestly can't watch videos, trailers, TV or movies, i need to be actively part of something, either in imagination (reading a book) or by doing something interactive (video games)).
I have a great imagination, i don't really need inspiration for projects (other than specific details), but of course i'm not really after projects for projects sake. I need more, a goal, even if it just a temporary one. And that goal must have a purpose too...

Oh and one critique about Neocraft: It is supposedly a survival server but it sure as hell doesn't feel like one. Warps, player buildings everywhere... Unavoidable though, i guess. One reason i was in favor of map reset back before 1.0, new world would feel more like survival game. Of course something else caught my attention back then. Not suggesting a re-reset.

And one more thing about exploration in Minecraft. I just realized what's wrong with it. I've seen it all, i think. Caves, dungeons, odd cliffs, chunk errors, interesting vistas...
Oddly enough, i can still be amazed by vistas in many other games but not in MC. I reckon they feel too... natural? Artifical? Not sure but they lack something. Maybe i feel purposefully crafted vistas feel like art but random generation doesn't.

EDIT also, i seem to be writing a lot today. Hmph. If only i could really focus that to something truly useful, not just ranting about being bored with MC, because that's what it is. I have short attention span nowadays, a week is a good achivement.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I saw Minecraft for Dummies today at the bookstore. I wasn't that surprised, but it was still a novelty to see that it exists :p

at this point they might as well implement Mo'Creatures, which has horses. i've got that on my SP world, along with ExtrabiomesXL. it makes the world feel way more alive and varied.

Anyway. heres some pics i took on the server while i was playing around with a Shaders mod.

iH8m4KnegAoDl.png

Night Shot of Gaf-Kong
iol2oAQovs6mC.png

My Build (the small red one on the hill + tree)
i8qDhOjl81ioe.png

View of the rest of gaf-kong from my place

used Sphax PureBDCraft, Sonic Ether Unbelievable shaders, and minecraft screenshot function.

Gallery

Top Bottom