• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Dingotech

Does anybody sell old Warhammer/40K stuff via the web?
Is there a website where people trade minatures?

I'm based in Australia so if there is an Aussie site or a forum with an Aussie section that would work best for me.

With a family these days and mates who played the games with me long gone I probably won't ever get around to using them again.

I'll definitely hang onto my Blood Bowl stuff though!

Leunam

I like Warseer so maybe that might be worth a shot. I've bought stuff from there before with no problems. I'm not sure if you need a minimum post count before using the sales forum, though.

Fou-Lu

Several of my buddies are getting back into 40k, I sold all my stuff so I'm going to have to start from scratch... My wallet isn't going to like this...

Why can't they all just play Warmachine and Hordes with me?

(At least one of my favorite armies -Chaos- is getting a new book next month)

Dingotech

I like Warseer so maybe that might be worth a shot. I've bought stuff from there before with no problems. I'm not sure if you need a minimum post count before using the sales forum, though.

I should probably have been clearer in case it's not obvious.
I'm actually interested in selling my old Warhammer/40K stuff rather than purchasing.

I'll take a look at that site when I get home from work, thanks.

Leunam

Well yeah, you can sell on there, that's why I was able to buy stuff from other people.

You won't be able to see the sub-forum without an account. Just a heads up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If anyone in the UK wants some Tau...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110915324...LX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_1102wt_969

Also selling some Warmachine stuff - a Cygnar army and a Khador warcaster :)

Just offloading some stuff and trying to see how selling painted minis goes...

Also, on my own project, I'm gonna build my Forge World Tau XV9 suit this weekend :D

If I still played....<3 Tau was my favorite thing ever, haha. And Forge World Tau stuff was pretty sick. Look forward to seeing your progress!

Orks:

2012-07-13220310.jpg

2012-07-13215315.jpg

2012-07-13215211.jpg

Dwarfs (didn't get any love from me tonight, but this is where they're at right now, but they're my next 16 I'm building)

2012-07-13220222.jpg

One of the first reviews of the game Leviathans from Catalyst Games (Battletech folks): http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/07/leviathans-game/

Steam punk naval combat game with giant flying warships. The review is not the greatest as it's mostly just a preview since the guy didn't play the full rules, only quick start, but it shows the components. Kinda pricey at $99 for 8 figs (prepainted), but does come with actual double sided game boards and everything needed to play. Plus online you are surely going to be able to get it much cheaper than that.

Fleet boxes are going to be sold separate which contain the individual French and British fleets found in the core set, for $50 each (4 prepainted ships, bases, dice).

Game is supposed to be more on the detailed side ala Battletech and not as abstract as something like Dystopian Wars. Also Leviathans is going to be purely about large ship naval warfare and not go into mixed arms like Dystopian Wars.

It costs more in the long run, but there's something to be said for buying as you paint. When you've got that much work ahead its pretty intimidating to get started.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It costs more in the long run, but there's something to be said for buying as you paint. When you've got that much work ahead its pretty intimidating to get started.

You just have to find the approach that works best for you.

With Skaven you really need to get a good process down before you get into it.

Yea I got stacks of miniatures in my closet getting no work done on and whenever I look into it, I just feel disappointed and intimidated by how much I have to do, so nothing gets done.

Yea I got stacks of miniatures in my closet getting no work done on and whenever I look into it, I just feel disappointed and intimidated by how much I have to do, so nothing gets done.

I thought that way as well for about a year. Then I said "Fuck it" and started taking stabs at little chunks of it here and there. My dwarf army is slowly getting there (24 done now), my Space Wolves are up to "Squad Strength" (i.e. 5) and my Orks are also plugging along nicely (12 in total). I'm not even going to do anything beyond LOOK at my Skaven box till I finish my current projects, then I'll attack them 1 sprue at a time till done.

BTW, what's everyone's work area look like? Here's an overview of mine:

1343522162915.jpg

My other problem really is time to play mini games. Most mini games are more suited for one on one play and right now game nights have me hosting full house of people, so it's mainly been board and roleplaying games taking up my time. If I was being more active in mini games I would have motivation to paint. As it is right now, I'm still considering selling off some of my 40k armies which are fully done and painted, just to make room and make me feel not so bad for having so much.

Project OMFG WTF:

2012-07-31211618.jpg

Ork Update though:

2012-07-31213043.jpg
2012-07-31212930.jpg
2012-07-31212909.jpg

Basing is almost done (grass on them tomorrow to finish them off) Then back to the horde.

DiatribeEQ, I notice you are going for blood effects on those orc blades. Allow me to suggest Tamiya clear red paint for a much more realistic and gruesome bit of gore.

Here is a brief tutorial:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?autocom=ineo&showarticle=298

You can apply the other clear colors to create similar effects, such as green for poison, purple blood for tyranids, and create leaking fuel pipes or toxic waste. It is a very versitile paint for scale modeling!

Here is my painting/hobby area downstairs:

04b4a5f7.jpg

a31ad102.jpg

e3ea7218.jpg

363e3172.jpg

DSC03446.jpg

DSC03444.jpg

DSC03451.jpg

I have loads of materials for basing and dioramas hidden within my wife's craft area. The mini fridge, magnifying light, and airbrush combo hidden under that corner of my desk is great.

I have my area set up with my triple monitors in front if me, my painting area to the right, and all of my hobby supplies on my left at arm's length. The left side of my desk is reserved for reading materials/iPad/board games/other hobbies (currently that side is taken up by 4 Lego modulars).

It's a great set up but I look forward to a new house, a lot more space, and a much better purpose built hobby room in the future!

Found myself a sponge that works great for applying the kinds of blood-like results I'm looking for these days. Ultra realistic stuff isn't what I'm really looking for to be honest.

Nice work area heh. I just toss crap onto any surface I can find

It's a good thing you really don't need too much room to paint miniatures. I painted for a good decade on top of a TV tray! Now, it is nice having stuff spread out for the simple fact that all too often I would forget about some of the materials I owned. Also, it can be inspiring just looking over various hobby supplies and letting your imagination run wild. It's the same way that going to a large hobby store is always exciting and motivating for me.

Risible

I've always wanted to learn how to paint minis ever since I owned the original Space Hulk back in the day. I bought the new Space Hulk when it was released but it sat around unpainted. I finally resolved to get it done. Watched a bunch of Youtube videos and read a lot and finally dove in.

Finished all of my Space Marines and am about to start the Tyranids/Genestealers. Been having a blast.

I've always wanted to learn how to paint minis ever since I owned the original Space Hulk back in the day. I bought the new Space Hulk when it was released but it sat around unpainted. I finally resolved to get it done. Watched a bunch of Youtube videos and read a lot and finally dove in.

Finished all of my Space Marines and am about to start the Tyranids/Genestealers. Been having a blast.

Seriously.. major props to you for painting the Space Hulk set. That game also holds a special place in my heart. First edition was what got me into miniature gaming and the 3rd edition release brought the painting and modeling aspect of the hobby back into my life and also got me into board gaming again. I have been doing nothing but "practice painting" for 3 years now, sharpening my chops specifically for painting Space Hulk 3rd edition. Whenever I think I have a paint scheme and idea all figured out I end up staring at the items in the box and thinking "I'm just not ready yet". When I eventually do tackle the project, it is going to be a major endeavor for me. It will be glourious when complete. A truely unique set.

I still have the complete first edition + expansions. I painted a plethora of metal terminator squads back it the day. I should take pics!

It's a good thing you really don't need too much room to paint miniatures. I painted for a good decade on top of a TV tray! Now, it is nice having stuff spread out for the simple fact that all too often I would forget about some of the materials I owned. Also, it can be inspiring just looking over various hobby supplies and letting your imagination run wild. It's the same way that going to a large hobby store is always exciting and motivating for me.

I pretty much learned that all you need is really really good lighting anywhere you work. Can be ontop of anything, but without proper lighting, the paint jobs will suffer.

Desavona

I'm getting a John Blanche vibe from those pics. I really like that termi chaplain if that's what it is.

Risible

I'm getting a John Blanche vibe from those pics. I really like that termi chaplain if that's what it is.

I had to look up who John Blanche was before i could reply :). I don't know if was responsible for the figures or not.

I think it's some type of Chaplain, given the holy texts he seems to be sporting. You'll have to forgive me, I'm not up on GW fluff at all.

My goal is to finish the Space Hulk set and then start on the Battle For Macragge set I have here and finally play a game of 40K :).

Risible

I have been doing nothing but "practice painting" for 3 years now, sharpening my chops specifically for painting Space Hulk 3rd edition. !

It's funny you said that - my goal is also to get better to paint my "white whale". I have the Dreadfleet set and I think it looks totally bitchin' :). I want to do it justice; having seen a well-painted one, I know it can look really gorgeous.

Almost done painting on the metal bits on 24 Orks. Have the basecoat of green for skin done with a whole body was in Devlin Mud. It's been such a soul-crushing experience doing up this many at once. Thank God I'll not do this many at once again as this kind of brutal experience is such a great teacher. I won't rush things either, so it's going to take me some time to finish them all before I move on to either my Dwarfs or Space Wolves.

Ordered the Warmachine two player battle box yesterday, should get here tomorrow. My son is excited, as we're going to make this a father and son thing. First things first, we'll be starting on building a war gaming table top tomorrow.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Almost done painting on the metal bits on 24 Orks. Have the basecoat of green for skin done with a whole body was in Devlin Mud. It's been such a soul-crushing experience doing up this many at once. Thank God I'll not do this many at once again as this kind of brutal experience is such a great teacher. I won't rush things either, so it's going to take me some time to finish them all before I move on to either my Dwarfs or Space Wolves.

Man, WM was so fun. The only thing that sucked was that I had a regular opponent who played Khador while I played Cygnar. He had a lot of super heavy options and some other crazy powerful units against my newbie Cygnar army. It turned me off of the game pretty quick when I only played people with tournament quality lists who stomped me repeatedly.

I'm based in Australia so if there is an Aussie site or a forum with an Aussie section that would work best for me.

Not sure if you'll see this, but www.dakkadakka.com has a trade section and is SUPER popular. You'll get bites there for sure.

With a family these days and mates who played the games with me long gone I probably won't ever get around to using them again.

I'll definitely hang onto my Blood Bowl stuff though!

You can try: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/index.php

Risible

Have you guys seen the Reaper Miniatures Kickstarter?

At the $100 level you get tons of minis, at this point it's at around $1 a figure. The stretch rewards are great, including a just announced $25 minis case that looks like a fantastic deal.

Check it out. I have no affiliation with Reaper, just passing along what I think is a great deal. Between this and the two Cool Mini Or Not deals (Sedition Wars and Zombicide), Kickstarter has been great for people into minis.

Have you guys seen the Reaper Miniatures Kickstarter?

At the $100 level you get tons of minis, at this point it's at around $1 a figure. The stretch rewards are great, including a just announced $25 minis case that looks like a fantastic deal.

Check it out. I have no affiliation with Reaper, just passing along what I think is a great deal. Between this and the two Cool Mini Or Not deals (Sedition Wars and Zombicide), Kickstarter has been great for people into minis.

Yea if your into roleplaying games especially, it's a great set that kinda fills in all a persons needs for figs too.

Hmm CAV figs, are they finally bringing back CAV?

Relic Knights was already released lol

They are using Kickstarter to basically boost the game and get it out there. Funding the many factions they want to make but don't have the funds for. They already put out a bunch of stuff for it and were demoing the game.

Mantic games did the same with their King of War kickstarters to basically fund the production of new armies not yet available.

Risible

Relic Knights was already released lol

They are using Kickstarter to basically boost the game and get it out there. Funding the many factions they want to make but don't have the funds for. They already put out a bunch of stuff for it and were demoing the game.

Mantic games did the same with their King of War kickstarters to basically fund the production of new armies not yet available.

Oh, I had no idea. Well, regardless, I've been really impressed with the two previous CMON projects, and hopefully this one will have the same value per dollar as those.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh, I had no idea. Well, regardless, I've been really impressed with the two previous CMON projects, and hopefully this one will have the same value per dollar as those.

The Kickstarter project is still impressive for what it's worth, it's just that the game is already out. I guess they are using the Kickstarter to kick start the sales rather than the funding for the project. Whatever works!

For what it's worth, the Relic Knights minis are really awesome. The ones they had on display and for sale at Gen Con last year were simply gorgeous.

I imagine many smaller companies for mini games are going to be jumping on the bandwagon. So many of them are small and often have to release and wait till sales reac a certain point before being able to release anything new. So many games have pretty much died because of this problem, and Kickstarter is letting thm get the funding for quicker production up front, while also being a huge easy way to market a product on the cheap.

Lot of folks who are funding something like Relic Knights probably had no idea about the game or figs until it hit kickstarter. Theres really only like two decent miniature gaming websites out there that only enthusiasts of the hobby are going to know of. Mini gaming outside of Warhammer stuff tends to go unknown for the most part.

I've rediscovered my LOTR miniatures lately, specifically my Uruk-hai army (I'll post some later on that I've painted). Caught up on Games Workshop news, and I'm still rustled about the move from metals to finecast, especially given the amazing metal lines for LOTR.

So I've been trying to track down the main metal lines I wanted, before they are converted to finecast (which sends Ebay prices through the roof). I've had to order a Wild Warg Chieftain from GW directly, as they can't be found in independents, and aren't often found on Ebay. I'll probably have to do the same for Rangers of the North, Dunedain, High Elf captain, etc.

It left me wondering what is the policy on metals now? Are metals available in store as they were in the past (until they're converted to FC), or are limited to bare essentials, with the rest only available by ordering online from GW HQ? Reason I ask is because the Warg I ordered had no price code on the blister pack (A, B, C etc)?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3470

New preview for Star Wars: X-Wing, this time showing off the details of the Y-Wing pack. Pretty hyped for this game... I'm gonna be buying a shit ton of these ships lol.

I've rediscovered my LOTR miniatures lately, specifically my Uruk-hai army (I'll post some later on that I've painted). Caught up on Games Workshop news, and I'm still rustled about the move from metals to finecast, especially given the amazing metal lines for LOTR.

So I've been trying to track down the main metal lines I wanted, before they are converted to finecast (which sends Ebay prices through the roof). I've had to order a Wild Warg Chieftain from GW directly, as they can't be found in independents, and aren't often found on Ebay. I'll probably have to do the same for Rangers of the North, Dunedain, High Elf captain, etc.

It left me wondering what is the policy on metals now? Are metals available in store as they were in the past (until they're converted to FC), or are limited to bare essentials, with the rest only available by ordering online from GW HQ? Reason I ask is because the Warg I ordered had no price code on the blister pack (A, B, C etc)?

You just got to get lucky finding the metals, lot of the LOTR stuff was pretty much discontinued for a while with most shops not stocking any new stuff for a couple years outside of perhaps some GW stores. But most figs that went to finecast done so because they had stopped production a while back so the metal stuff is quite rare.

The resin figs though are supposed to better quality and sharper than the metals. Resin has become the go to material for many mini producers because it makes for sharper quality figs and it's cheapest material to work with. The only negative with resin has been that it takes longer to make the figures unlike the quicker metal and plastic methods. Metal has become too expensive for most smaller companies..... but unlike most GW's resin fig prices mostly went up..... which makes little sense.

The only negative with resin has been that it takes longer to make the figures unlike the quicker metal and plastic methods. Metal has become too expensive for most smaller companies..... but unlike most GW's resin fig prices mostly went up..... which makes little sense.

There are still some casting issues with finecast, mostly incomplete models, air bubbles, and loss of detail. They're getting better, but if you buy from a shop always check the figs before walking out the door.

Top Bottom