• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Leunam

I remember the set and I liked the models. I didn't realize it was a separate game. I thought it kind of just worked using the same rules as the Lord of the Rings game proper.

Ledsen

Has anyone played the Hobbit game from GW? Escape from Goblin town is the name I think. Is there much to the game or is it limited regarding armies.
I would really like to build a nice Dwarven army. Should I be looking at a different game?

The Hobbit is an updated version of the LotR game. So you have an enormous amount of models and armies to choose from, although some aren't available from GW anymore.

Yep it's just an updated version of the game compatible with the old stuff, but most of the old stuff is no longer produced. Used to be one of GW's games that you could get ton of cheap models for and was supposedly a decent game system, but the support wasn't really there and after the Hobbit movies they haven't touched it.

Lot of GW fans of the warhammer games wanted GW to let the license run out so they would focus on the warhammer stuff, but then it seems they extended the license for the hobbit yet didn't give it much support at all.

hunchback

The Hobbit is an updated version of the LotR game. So you have an enormous amount of models and armies to choose from, although some aren't available from GW anymore.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered it. For the price I paid I got alot of minis to start with. Hopefully the game is fun.
This will be my first time painting in over 10 year's. What are some of the best paints to use? I like the color of GW paints but heard they dry out fast because of the container. Thank you for any info you might provide.

So the new Horus Heresy game coming, what do ppl think. From the stat cards it looks like 2 or 4 stats? Has actual board tiles so it seems to be more of a miniature board game? Kinda hard to tell what this is trying to be, at first was thinking it was going to be a 40k Age of Sigmar

Browny

Banned
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered it. For the price I paid I got alot of minis to start with. Hopefully the game is fun.
This will be my first time painting in over 10 year's. What are some of the best paints to use? I like the color of GW paints but heard they dry out fast because of the container. Thank you for any info you might provide.

GW paints are pretty good in the big scheme of things - over a period of time you may need to add a drop of water and give them a damn good stir with a cocktail stick, but they're always usable. Otherwise I've heard of people swearing by Vallejo paints as being the dog's doodas - I was going to say a bit more expensive than GW, but with their recent price rises, I'm not so sure now!

Fou-Lu

So the new Horus Heresy game coming, what do ppl think. From the stat cards it looks like 2 or 4 stats? Has actual board tiles so it seems to be more of a miniature board game? Kinda hard to tell what this is trying to be, at first was thinking it was going to be a 40k Age of Sigmar

I absolutely love the older Space Marine armours and if this game ends up getting expanded more as a board game with high quality minis than a full minis game like 40k and Fantasy I might even buy in.

Yeah, as a game it appears to be a tile-based non-expandable game based on the events in the caverns of Calth between the Ultras and Word Bearers. So kind of Space Hulk like, but with a unique ruleset. Although I'd like to see expansions like Warhammer Quest had.

I'm sure it'll be pretty neat, but lets face it - most people will be buying it for very cheap heresy-era models so you're not paying £60+ for a tactical squad! If you just bought this set and painted it all up as one heresy army you'd have a great start in the real HH tabletop game.

As a newcomer to the miniature gaming front, would you recommend that I go with Warhammer or Warhammer 40k? I would love to play with my 5 year old son, but I dont think he could stay on for a game.

Leunam

Warhammer is going through a bit of a rebirth with the Age of Sigmar stuff. Personally, I'd pick which one appealed to me based on looks, and both games have good starter sets with models enough for two players.

Vyktal

If you like a space-based science-fiction skirmishing (i.e. small groups of soldiers) theme involving huge space warriors and crazy aliens - Warhammer 40k

If you like fantasy theme with swords, spells and huge armies - Kings of War (easy to learn and play, games generally only take about an hour, you can make armies with whatever models you like), or find a group who plays an edition of Warhammer Fantasy (i.e. 8th) but be aware the rules are very complicated, games usually take at least 2 hours (longer if you're a beginner) and Games Workshop have abandoned this ruleset so the playerbase is currently in turmoil (some swtiching to Kings of War, some trying to keep WHFantasy alive, some switching to Age of Sigmar (mentioned below))

If you like fantasy theme with swords, spells and skirmishing battles - Age of Sigmar (new system which Games Workshop have made before abandoning WHFantasy)

If you like fantasy theme with steam-punk and skirmishing battles - Warmachine and Hordes

Basically

Ledsen

As a newcomer to the miniature gaming front, would you recommend that I go with Warhammer or Warhammer 40k? I would love to play with my 5 year old son, but I dont think he could stay on for a game.

If you want to play with a kid? Age of Sigmar. It has 4 pages of rules, 40k (and most other games) has like 140.

I really like Age of Sigmar, so I'd say give it a shot if you're new. It's easy to get into and the 4-pages of rules are easy to learn. Unit-specific rules are all on the unit's warscroll so you don't have to keep referring back to a big rulebook. AoS gets more hate than it deserves, Imo.

For playing with a kid, Age of Sigmar box set by itself is probably one of the easier investments. I wouldn't get involved in any major big game that requires constant expanding of armies etc.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I am looking forward to playing with my son. He gets bored with more complicated games, so hopefully something simple like Age of Sigmar can keep his attention.

What are your favorite miniature wargaming youtube channels? So far I only really like Guerilla Miniature Games.

They absolutely make the most fun battle reports. Miniwargaming used to be great but they're not quite the best. There's not that many really good channels that I know of.

Games Workshop first (I think) Black Friday sale is up. But... a word of warning that it is pretty garbage. They're only discounting army bundles so you need to buy $250+ worth of models and the discounts are only like 5-15% off. My local shop is running 20% off all individual GW models today, so I'll be heading there instead.

Yea saw the sales.

In other news, Star Wars Armada wave 2 is finally out. Really wonder if and when we might ever hear about wave 3? FFG has been real slow with Armada news and releasing.

Saw the Imperial destroyer today ... so pretty.

I do wonder/hope if we will see a SSD at some point. Though point value of the game seems to make it unlikely, as two ISD's almost makes for a full Imperial army. Wouldn't mind them having alternate rules for longer and bigger games. Fleet battles but they put that built in game round time limit essentially forcing them to not have huge point values... which seems to kinda go against spirit of the game

So I got my Nurgle army back from the case at GW this morning, this is the army I've amassed since AoS came out. Pretty happy with it!
Nw1Ketj.jpg

nyaMbvA.jpg

LSLHmwD.jpg

xQPXBp8.jpg

Basically put together from money from trading 40K stuff away and selling things on eBay since I'm still out of work. But I think I've done well for relatively little investment. All assembled and painted by myself over the last 3 months or so.

Faiz

I'm getting closer and closer to taking the plunge on mini painting. As I get closer I'm discovering the the go-to brushes for a lot of painters, Winsor Newton Series 7, has had a lot of quality problems over the last year or so. People complaining about brushes fraying after very little use. I see some recommendations for Broken Toad brushes but they don't appear to be distributed in the US?

Anyone like to recommend alternative brushes?

Having mini withdrawal, painted one Robotech mini, but also bummed at how the game has been handled. Got enough minis to host my own games but this game's future to me seems rocky.

Anyone pick up the Prodos AVP stuff? Any input?

I just found this thread thanks to the fine guys over at the scale modeling thread.. Let me start out contributing by sharing I finished this weekend. Unbased, but otherwise finished. If there is interest I can post more Blood Angels :)

gallery_60983_8363_16640.jpg

Also out of curiosity, does anyone here collect and paint Dream Pod 9's Heavy Gear Blitz and Arena miniatures?

Blood Angels are the best!

Winter is upon us once again, so my hobbies turn indoors. I'm looking to finish off my Zombicide zombies and paint up some survivors. I was really on a roll last year. I finished all the regular zombies and the vast majority of berserkers and toxic. Of course, now I have added 2 more expansions with skinner zombies to paint. I am thinking of blue or purple for those. I also have dogs and crows to paint up, but those should be easy and fast.

Next, I'm going to paint a complete game. It will be a small one, like a D&D bixed game or a Decent expansion.

I'm getting closer and closer to taking the plunge on mini painting. As I get closer I'm discovering the the go-to brushes for a lot of painters, Winsor Newton Series 7, has had a lot of quality problems over the last year or so. People complaining about brushes fraying after very little use. I see some recommendations for Broken Toad brushes but they don't appear to be distributed in the US?

Anyone like to recommend alternative brushes?

Honestly the relaunched range of GW brushes from earlier in the year are pretty damn good. I've not tried the artificer one yet but the medium and large base brushes are my go-to brushes for the majority of my painting until I start doing highlights and details.

Also, that Chaplain looks sweet Hooi. Nice work.

I00X96r.jpg

I've been working on this over the last few days, my Celestant Prime. It's quite a job to get it done!!

Greetings, miniature...GAF..? I come seeking advice.

I've been thinking about picking up miniature painting as a hobby. Not thinking about purchasing any game at this point, but to just get started with painting. I have World of Warcraft boardgame pretty much collecting dust and it has plenty of plastic miniatures I figure I could get started with. Would starting with plastic miniatures be a good idea?

Also I am in need of advice on what gear to buy. My understanding is that I would need some primer of sort, paint, brushes and some kind of sealer. Is that everything? Any suggestions on what to get and from where? I live in Finland, so perhaps Amazon.co.uk? I found stuff like set, but I have no idea if those kind are a good buy.

If you could nudge me to right direction, it would be appreciated. All tips are welcome too!

Practice on any minis you don't care a ton about, the ones in the WoW board game are kinda small so might be hard to say, I like to focus on 28mm like figs. Plastic or pewter dont matter much, gonna paint it the same way. Not sure about whats available in your area for supplies, I usually get good quality primer and cheap paints really lol. I like army painter brand primers, to me it's just perfect stuff, mists on super light and smooth, lots of color options. Paint brushes, kinda is a preference thing as well. Cheaper brushes tend to not last as long as the expensive brushes, but it also depends on how you take care of your brushes after painting.

Ledsen

I've been thinking about picking up miniature painting as a hobby. Not thinking about purchasing any game at this point, but to just get started with painting. I have World of Warcraft boardgame pretty much collecting dust and it has plenty of plastic miniatures I figure I could get started with. Would starting with plastic miniatures be a good idea?

Also I am in need of advice on what gear to buy. My understanding is that I would need some primer of sort, paint, brushes and some kind of sealer. Is that everything? Any suggestions on what to get and from where? I live in Finland, so perhaps Amazon.co.uk? I found stuff like set, but I have no idea if those kind are a good buy.

If you could nudge me to right direction, it would be appreciated. All tips are welcome too!

Buy a paint set with a few paints (10-20 maybe) from Games Workshop, Vallejo, P3, Army Painter, Scale 75, or another company that makes acrylic miniature paints. Buy a brush set that includes at least one normal (size 1-2), one small (0/0 or smaller), and one bigger (3-4+) brush. For primer, most people buy spray primer made for priming miniatures, since the pigments will be finer than your regular spray paint. Games Workshop and Army Painter are most commonly available. I'd recommend white. You could also buy varnish, but it's only necessary once you start gaming, dropping and scuffing your minis.

Firestorm Games (www.firestormgames.co.uk) is located in Wales and run by incredibly cool people. They ship free for over 30 quids, and if you buy some paints, brushes, primers and a bunch of figures it should easily be over that. They also have regular and very good discounts on EVERYTHING. Go to their site, pick your order and wait for it.

I would advise you to get the Army Painter Starter Set, and some figures that you like for a game that you like, and just practice on them. Try not to get too expensive figures for first tries, go for the basic Troops or whatever choices with managable details.

Thanks! I'll come back when I get started!

edit.

Seems like Firestorm Games does not extend their free shipping outside UK, which is understandable. This means I might still co with Amazon route, because my wife has shown interest in ordering something, so shipping costs don't matter so much.

I found these, looking okay? Anything else?

primer

paints

I can get more brushes from where I live, but the miniature paints are impossible to find (it's a very small town).

I like the army painter primers, you pay extra though for them, but they are quality. You can get normal primer at hardware stores for a 1/3rd of price, and the quality of them varies so you got to trial and error.

Seems like Firestorm Games does not extend their free shipping outside UK, which is understandable. This means I might still co with Amazon route, because my wife has shown interest in ordering something, so shipping costs don't matter so much.

They do, for over 30 GBP they ship free out of UK. I always do this. Give them a call, they are absolutely wonderful people.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Question for painters. I bought GW Chaos Black. I primed some plastic minis. The end result seems gritty. The minis were smooth to begin with and much of their surface is smooth but much is also this grittiness. When I put down a first coat that too seems gritty on top of the black. Is this a common problem? Did I do something wrong?

Could be multiple things.

Could have been priming from to far away, some primers can dry real quick in certain weather and create slightly clumpy like grit to form as it started to harden before it even got to the mini.

Similarly, if your priming multiple minis at once, depending on how you are spraying them, the minis further away from the spray as you spray a mini that is closer, are getting the dried up debris splattered onto them.

If you have primed on same surface before, there might be primer dust and such on the surface that the primer spray is kinda pushing onto the figs

High humidity.

Or a can of crappy paint

borghe

Well, much of what you just said are all possibilities.... Damn.. Biggest two contributors being outside and multiple minis. And maybe even far away.

Is brushing primer better or more reliable?

Here is the before pic

Here is the metal finished. The spear tip is a great example

Chaos Black is a poor primer and tends to do that if you dont shake it REALLY well or spray from farther than 30cm. Even cheap automotive primers are better choices. Paint and varnish will smooth it out somewhat but dont expect it to disappear.. Sorry :(

Ledsen

There's nothing wrong with Chaos Black (unless he got a crappy can), it's just that spray primer is really particular about how you use it. It can't be too hot or too cold, you need to shake it for several minutes and you need to read the instructions to know how far or close you need to spray. User error is by far the most common problem because of this.

There's nothing wrong with Chaos Black (unless he got a crappy can), it's just that spray primer is really particular about how you use it. It can't be too hot or too cold, you need to shake it for several minutes and you need to read the instructions to know how far or close you need to spray. User error is by far the most common problem because of this.

That is actually the definition of a poor primer; there are tons of better primer sprays out there that will not give you the rough finish of Chaos Black under poor conditions. Chaos Black is an old paint formula, it was never a beloved GW spray to begin with, I have no idea why they haven't updated their spray paint range along with the pot paints. They are a very ass backwards company, first they make the best washes out there, then change it for the shitty shades.. in the meantime their black spray has remained unchanged for god knows how long even though it's a terrible can of paint.

Anyway, my 2c, it is possible to get a good finish with Chaos Black if you know exactly what you are doing, but it's not a forgiving primer, and it's not a high quality primer either. Get a better primer while you can.

borghe

thanks for the replies. I figured I was just "screwed" with these minis.. fortunately it was just an LOTR "learn to paint" set (oh how I have learned...)

outside of the chaos black spray primer.. are there any particular issues with GW paints? I've read around all of the various reviews and about the only common negative is price. outside of that it seems to just be about preference (though I am already regretting not having an easy way to get the paint from pot to palette)

Well, the paint pots suck, and sucked at every single iteration. The best they got was just before the first range change back in, I don't know, 2008? Since then, it has been downhill, paints tend to seperate and dry and the pots never seal right. The new shade line is terrible compared to their old washes. I would actually suggest that you use Army Painter Ink washes and Vallejo Model Color + Extra Opaque paints. They are generally terrible value and mediocre quality.

Ral Partha paint from the late 80's was my favorite paint. Now I use craft store paint in bulk. I have always thinned my paints to one extent or another so there is little to no difference. Thinned enough, they even go through an airbrush with no issues.

A wet palette is extremely easy to make. I suggest giving it a try.

Youtube has plenty of videos you should check out. There are a plethora of hobby hacks out there to make mini painting easier.

Ledsen

That is actually the definition of a poor primer; there are tons of better primer sprays out there that will not give you the rough finish of Chaos Black under poor conditions. Chaos Black is an old paint formula, it was never a beloved GW spray to begin with, I have no idea why they haven't updated their spray paint range along with the pot paints. They are a very ass backwards company, first they make the best washes out there, then change it for the shitty shades.. in the meantime their black spray has remained unchanged for god knows how long even though it's a terrible can of paint.

Anyway, my 2c, it is possible to get a good finish with Chaos Black if you know exactly what you are doing, but it's not a forgiving primer, and it's not a high quality primer either. Get a better primer while you can.

I've had the same problem with all primers I've tried, the worst offender is Army Painter which are super finicky. Sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't, depending on the conditions and your handling of them.

thanks for the replies. I figured I was just "screwed" with these minis.. fortunately it was just an LOTR "learn to paint" set (oh how I have learned...)

outside of the chaos black spray primer.. are there any particular issues with GW paints? I've read around all of the various reviews and about the only common negative is price. outside of that it seems to just be about preference (though I am already regretting not having an easy way to get the paint from pot to palette)

Most model paint ranges are very similar, basically all of them including GW are very good. Usually you have a few colors that stand out as worse than others, for example GW Ceramite White (a very pigment heavy white) dries out very easily.

Top Bottom