• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miniature Gaming-Age (WH40k, Warmachine, Etc.)

Brakke

Banned
Someone mind giving me a quick rundown on Star Wars X-Wing game? Say I grab the starter X-Wing vs TIE Fighters box; how far is it from there to the "standard" 100 pt. wing?

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
That is actually the definition of a poor primer; there are tons of better primer sprays out there that will not give you the rough finish of Chaos Black under poor conditions. Chaos Black is an old paint formula, it was never a beloved GW spray to begin with, I have no idea why they haven't updated their spray paint range along with the pot paints. They are a very ass backwards company, first they make the best washes out there, then change it for the shitty shades.. in the meantime their black spray has remained unchanged for god knows how long even though it's a terrible can of paint.

Anyway, my 2c, it is possible to get a good finish with Chaos Black if you know exactly what you are doing, but it's not a forgiving primer, and it's not a high quality primer either. Get a better primer while you can.

They have updated their sprays haven't they?

The Corax White spray is a huge improvement in my experience.

Someone mind giving me a quick rundown on Star Wars X-Wing game? Say I grab the starter X-Wing vs TIE Fighters box; how far is it from there to the "standard" 100 pt. wing?

For a standard game you might need two/three more ships per side usually. Each ship and upgrades you buy for it are worth differing amounts of points so its hard to say. A ship with lot of upgrades like a Falcon or Slave 1 can take more than half your points itself

Accoun

I've had the same problem with all primers I've tried, the worst offender is Army Painter which are super finicky. Sometimes they work well and sometimes they don't, depending on the conditions and your handling of them.

I assume you're talking about sprays? I saw Vallejo primers at store and was curious about them, but even with Christmas money I don't want to spend that much money on such a big bottle. There was a smaller one (still bigger than the normal paints from either Vallejo or the big GW ones), but only in white.

Draxal

There's a dedicated X wing thread on gaming community. The way I'd do it is get 2 starters (the value is there in ship count as well additional measuring sticks etc, but the players there are a bit more invested than I am in the game).

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There's a dedicated X wing thread on gaming community. The way I'd do it is get 2 starters (the value is there in ship count as well additional measuring sticks etc, but the players there are a bit more invested than I am in the game).

just bought a copy of TFA starter.. and yeah, it seems for X-Wing at least, there is value in buying both starters. Should be able to get both from Amazon for ~$54 combined. That will net you with two X-Wings, 4 TIEs, and then a bunch of upgrades for each but unique as half will be from the OT, while the other half will be from TFA (so getting both Luke and Poe for example, both outstanding X-Wing pilots)

New TFA starter has the new damage deck that replaces the old one too, apparently makes critical hits more dangerous too.

Picked up the AvP boxed game from CSI, cheapest place to get it. Heard very mixed things about it, but the figs look sweet and I adore Aliens. Sounds like they tried to take a mini game and added rules to try and make sense selling it as a board game, though not very smoothly. And translation issues are apparently there.... I hope BGG and forums can clear it up though.

Fou-Lu

Has anyone been watching Beyond the Gates of Antares? I backed the original doomed kickstarter, but they didn't give up after that. The starter set was released recently and it look HEAVY with content and each new release looks better than the last. Rick Priestley has been doing a lot of interviews too and the game sounds great and has a good future.

Warlord Games has a series of videos on their channel that introduce the game and the factions.

Contents.jpg

hunchback

I'm about ready to start painting some mini's for the first time in 8 year's. I'm looking for some advice on paint. Who makes a good primer? I used to use acrylic primer from auto store's and used Citadel.
I found the Citadel paints dried out because they are in pots and was always having to thin them. Vallejo seems to have some nice kit's. What would you recommend for a good primer and a good set of paint. I don't mind spending a little extra if it's worth it. Thanks for any info.

I'm about ready to start painting some mini's for the first time in 8 year's. I'm looking for some advice on paint. Who makes a good primer? I used to use acrylic primer from auto store's and used Citadel.
I found the Citadel paints dried out because they are in pots and was always having to thin them. Vallejo seems to have some nice kit's. What would you recommend for a good primer and a good set of paint. I don't mind spending a little extra if it's worth it. Thanks for any info.
If you have a hobby shop near you, get Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Light Grey). Its extremely durable primer but preserves details really well at the same time, and a grey basecoat is the best universal base color to paint over. Just make sure it says "fine surface primer" on the can because its easy to pick up the wrong one. If i was painting something mostly black though, I would go ahead and get a black primer. I prime with my airbursh now sp its been a while, but just stay away from Army Painter and GW for spray primer.

For paint, honestly GW isnt bad nowadays and their high-pigment base coat paints are really useful, and Tamiya or Reaper paints are good too. But I strongly recommend the Reaper Master Series HD paint sets to start out a collection. They all have high pigment concentration so they cover really well and dont need a lot of thinning. You can find the two box sets here, but if you hunt around you might still be able to find them elsewhere for a discounted price.

For paints though, you might want to start out planning what you will paint first, and buy related colors individually. Reaper has a "color triangle" system or whatever for paint colors that are used together. So you can get the midtone and lowlight and highlight you need instead of a set of different basic colors that you'd have to deftly mix to get all the right shades.

Mikeside

Hey guys

I've just started building a 40k Ork army to play with some friends.
Had my first 600pt games this weekend - won the first game against Elder by a hair, but then decimated by Tau.

Any advice for getting good painting and conversion resources? Or better yet tactical advice for Orks?

hunchback

If you have a hobby shop near you, get Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (Light Grey). Its extremely durable primer but preserves details really well at the same time, and a grey basecoat is the best universal base color to paint over. Just make sure it says "fine surface primer" on the can because its easy to pick up the wrong one. If i was painting something mostly black though, I would go ahead and get a black primer. I prime with my airbursh now sp its been a while, but just stay away from Army Painter and GW for spray primer.

For paint, honestly GW isnt bad nowadays and their high-pigment base coat paints are really useful, and Tamiya or Reaper paints are good too. But I strongly recommend the Reaper Master Series HD paint sets to start out a collection. They all have high pigment concentration so they cover really well and dont need a lot of thinning. You can find the two box sets here, but if you hunt around you might still be able to find them elsewhere for a discounted price.

For paints though, you might want to start out planning what you will paint first, and buy related colors individually. Reaper has a "color triangle" system or whatever for paint colors that are used together. So you can get the midtone and lowlight and highlight you need instead of a set of different basic colors that you'd have to deftly mix to get all the right shades.

Thank you very much. I'm familiar with the Tamiya primer from my scale model tanks. Reaper paints it is.
Have you used any of the Army Painter Quick Shade products? I have read good reviews but it almost sounds too good to be true. My project is the miniatures from the GW The Hobbit, An unexpected journey.

Thank you very much. I'm familiar with the Tamiya primer from my scale model tanks. Reaper paints it is.
Have you used any of the Army Painter Quick Shade products? I have read good reviews but it almost sounds too good to be true. My project is the miniatures from the GW The Hobbit, An unexpected journey.
Quickshade looks okay but honestly I think its best served for a bunch of skeletons or helping a bad paint job. If you go over the model with brown wash you get the same effect.

I dont really have much experience with army painter because Ive always read and been told that their stuff is less expensive but inferior, especially primer. I like their Wargamer series brushes though.

I should also no that ive only used a few Vallejo paints outside of airbrushing so I wouldnt say im recommending Reaper over them, its just those High Density paints are the best line I have experience with.

Also check out the Vallejo Liquid Gold line for metallics and their washes too. Those are great.

Hey guys

I've just started building a 40k Ork army to play with some friends.
Had my first 600pt games this weekend - won the first game against Elder by a hair, but then decimated by Tau.

Any advice for getting good painting and conversion resources? Or better yet tactical advice for Orks?

Warseer seems like a good place for you to start.

Tactics/Army Lists
http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?4-Warhammer-40-000-Tactics

Army building/painting logs - (Orks will be under Xenos. Just look for Orks in the titles. Lots of inspiration to be had here IMO).
http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?101-Science-Fiction-Project-Logs

Faiz

I'm surprised by the primer discussion - I almost always see people say pass on the hobby primers and just go for Krylon but not one person in the last two pages has suggested that.

Speaking of primers. What kind of set-up those of you without a (games) workshop use to spray your miniatures? I am worried that whatever cardboard set-up I might use, I would still end up with paint in places it is not welcome. Outside is not optimal I suppose, but is it completely out of the question? Any ideas?

I'm surprised by the primer discussion - I almost always see people say pass on the hobby primers and just go for Krylon but not one person in the last two pages has suggested that.

Well.. I didn't name brands, but mentioned that off the shelf grey primers are usually way better than Chaos Black :)

Speaking of primers. What kind of set-up those of you without a (games) workshop use to spray your miniatures? I am worried that whatever cardboard set-up I might use, I would still end up with paint in places it is not welcome. Outside is not optimal I suppose, but is it completely out of the question? Any ideas?

I use the balcony and a big cardboard box. As long as you don't do it on a particularly humid, cold or windy day, you should be fine. I would never consider spraying things indoors, it's way too messy and unhealthy.

I use the balcony and a big cardboard box. As long as you don't do it on a particularly humid, cold or windy day, you should be fine. I would never consider spraying things indoors, it's way too messy and unhealthy.

No worries, when it's not humid where I live, it's either cold or windy! I just have to work something out. If only I had a good ventilated garage.

Ledsen

Don't ever spray inside, very very bad idea. Do it outside when it's not too cold or too hot. I do it in the shared workshop we have access to.

It's fine to use cheap hardware store primer, just some of the hobby specific primers are definitely better, but you pay alot more. I've used basic rustoleum primers and such from Home Depot just fine for minis, but I don't mind splurging 3 times as much on an army painter primer since I feel it goes on so much smoother.

Mikeside

Warseer seems like a good place for you to start.

Tactics/Army Lists
http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?4-Warhammer-40-000-Tactics

Army building/painting logs - (Orks will be under Xenos. Just look for Orks in the titles. Lots of inspiration to be had here IMO).
http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?101-Science-Fiction-Project-Logs

Thanks!
I'm slowly going through and painting my army, which is growing quick thanks to ebay.

I've just picked a Land Speeder Storm which I'm going to use as the base to convert into a Flakk Trakk by adding the tracks from an old Wartrakk I've picked up, a non-GW flakk gun that looks pretty good & some various gubbins & bits.
I'll be sure to post progress once it arrives.

For the first time in a loooong time GW has some good sales up on their site:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA...ategoryId=cat440130a-flat&_requestid=19159725

Unfortunately the Tau and Skitarii, the two best deals and the two most interesting to me are already sold out. They do say temporarily out of stock though, so there is hope these are a permanent addition and not just a limited thing.

It sounds like these are going to be regular stock items. The Tau one is amazing since they contain new kits that literally came out a few months back and nets you a tidy saving too. Two boxes of that and you're well on the way to a decent force!

I went for the Seraphon (Lizardmen) box for Age of Sigmar. £50 for a Carnosaur, Saurus Warriors and Saurus Knights. For reference, a Carnosaur on its own retails for... £50. So it's basically two free boxes of models. Nice. Plus I used a £15 GW voucher I got for Christmas so I'm getting all that for £35. Even nicer.

Good move by GW and I hope they expand this to more armies over time. My only real thing now is I wish they'd release cheaper paperback small-format versions of Codexes alongside the hardbacks.

Some of those deals are better than others. $150 for a codex and 6 models? That's pretty disgusting really.

The cheaper, entry level box sets are a great idea though. I hope this is successful and let's GW know cheaper products will sell in volume and encourage them to look at more reduced prices in the future.

Fou-Lu

Yeah the boxes with codices included save you nothing, but the pure model ones are really good deals. Probably will start Skitarii when it goes back in stock and might buy the Tau just for some battle suits since they almost are the full cost of the deal alone.

^ Right, only ever get an official GW bundle if it's a "box set" one, those usually have nice savings. The other 'web bundles' they do have a 0% saving and are there for 'convenience" of getting a few things in a single click. To be fair they don't claim those ones to save you money.

Fou-Lu

All of this talk of priming things... Winter is a frustrating time. I really want to get some minis primed so I can do some painting, I have quite a few things waiting in the wings. Think I might try to get ahold of a space heater to warm the storage room off my balcony to do some priming. List of things that need painting:

-Warmachine Retribution of Scyrah Battle Box
-Hordes Legion of Everblight All in One Box + Zuriel
-Dropzone Commander Starter Set
-Malifaux Burning Revelation Crew Box
-A bunch of assorted Dark Elves, Eldar, Tyranid and Dark Angel minis that I have never gotten around to painting.

Plus I am considering starting a Skitarii army and ordering the Beyond the Gates of Antares starter set. And Betrayal at Calth is looking mighty fine still.

And I got this for Christmas so I really should be painting:

All of this talk of priming things... Winter is a frustrating time. I really want to get some minis primed so I can do some painting, I have quite a few things waiting in the wings. Think I might try to get ahold of a space heater to warm the storage room off my balcony to do some priming. List of things that need painting:

-Warmachine Retribution of Scyrah Battle Box
-Hordes Legion of Everblight All in One Box + Zuriel
-Dropzone Commander Starter Set
-Malifaux Burning Revelation Crew Box
-A bunch of assorted Dark Elves, Eldar, Tyranid and Dark Angel minis that I have never gotten around to painting.

Plus I am considering starting a Skitarii army and ordering the Beyond the Gates of Antares starter set. And Betrayal at Calth is looking mighty fine still.

And I got this for Christmas so I really should be painting:
Solve your problems with an airbrush. :)

I've got an airbrush and compressor, been looking at using it for priming but the airbrush itself is a cheapo one that's a real pain in the ass to reassemble after cleaning. I'm hoping to get a nice iwata one at some point.

I'd recommend Vallejo's black model primer if anyone does do airbrush priming though, it goes on an absolute treat, dries quickly and you can get a huge bottle of the stuff for a pretty low price :)

Love airbrushing, but it's also kind of a paint to drag out, set up, and clean. I always get lazy and just rattlecan and hand do it all lol

Right for an army squad paint up, it's great tool. For random single mini, it just feels like more work than needed though.

I did my entire Flames of War army in pretty much one sitting with airbrush, it sped up so much of the process.

Mikeside

Waiting for miniatures to arrive is frustrating, especially when you've ordered various things to hack together and only half of them turn up. Some of my bits arrived yesterday, some haven't even been dispatched yet. Pull your socks up, eBay sellers!!

On the plus side, the Space Marine Dreadnought converted into a Deff Dread, a few Killa Kanz and my new Kopters all landed yesterday, so I had something to do in the evening as they all needed a fair bit of fixing.

Glueing flying bases that have been broken off onto Kopters is a nightmare. They just don't want to stay put - I had to hold it up squeezed between a few bikes and leave it overnight, but it's fixed. Thank god!

My "starter set" of paints and brushes should be arriving any day now. Too bad the weather is on a cold spell and I probably can't start priming the miniatures for weeks. I picked the wrong time of the year to get excited about miniatures.

On the other hand, I have had time to get some supplies and start preparing the miniatures. I decided to go with the World of Warcraft board game ones, because they are "free" at this point and only collecting dust. Plenty of miniatures for me to practice on.

That being said, I have been eyeing some more interesting looking miniatures, but can't really make up my mind. I am mostly just looking to paint at this point, because finding some people to play with in this small town is not very likely. Any suggestions? Here's what I have been thinking about:

- Interested mostly about sci-fi, but like fantasy settings too. Not looking for horror etc.

- I have a really soft spot for anything 40k, but I'm not sure they are interesting and varied enough when there is only painting.

- Infinity looks cool and I could perhaps just take my time to make two or three armies for myself and some random friend that might come over.

- Wife wants me to paint some LOTR stuff (if I learn to paint well enough I suppose) so that she could make some dioramas, but I'm not feeling the The Hobbit line (The Hobbit war game..? I mean..I know it's based on the movie more than the book but still).

- Descent looks interesting, but I'm afraid that if the WOW board game ended up gathering dust, the same would happen to Descent .

- Or maybe just some random miniatures without a game attached to them?

Mikeside

My "starter set" of paints and brushes should be arriving any day now. Too bad the weather is on a cold spell and I probably can't start priming the miniatures for weeks. I picked the wrong time of the year to get excited about miniatures.

On the other hand, I have had time to get some supplies and start preparing the miniatures. I decided to go with the World of Warcraft board game ones, because they are "free" at this point and only collecting dust. Plenty of miniatures for me to practice on.

That being said, I have been eyeing some more interesting looking miniatures, but can't really make up my mind. I am mostly just looking to paint at this point, because finding some people to play with in this small town is not very likely. Any suggestions? Here's what I have been thinking about:

- Interested mostly about sci-fi, but like fantasy settings too. Not looking for horror etc.

- I have a really soft spot for anything 40k, but I'm not sure they are interesting and varied enough when there is only painting.

- Infinity looks cool and I could perhaps just take my time to make two or three armies for myself and some random friend that might come over.

- Wife wants me to paint some LOTR stuff (if I learn to paint well enough I suppose) so that she could make some dioramas, but I'm not feeling the The Hobbit line (The Hobbit war game..? I mean..I know it's based on the movie more than the book but still).

- Descent looks interesting, but I'm afraid that if the WOW board game ended up gathering dust, the same would happen to Descent .

- Or maybe just some random miniatures without a game attached to them?

Maybe just grab a few random miniatures from various things to paint & see what you enjoy the most or what gives you some inspiration?

Always good to practice though on some minis you don't care about. Or go buy real cheap minis like some reaper figs to test on before doing stuff you care about.

Mikeside

Yeah maybe. I'm going to visit a city with a Games Workshop store in a month. Might cave in and buy some Space Marines.

I wouldn't waste my money if I were you.

Get some unpainted used models on eBay. That way you can probably get a marine or two, some Firewarriors, a couple Eldar etc etc for a couple of £/$/whatever without committing to buying a whole squad or a special unit etc

Always good to practice though on some minis you don't care about. Or go buy real cheap minis like some reaper figs to test on before doing stuff you care about.

Yeah, I got a box full of those WOW minis to practice on!

I wouldn't waste my money if I were you.

Get some unpainted used models on eBay. That way you can probably get a marine or two, some Firewarriors, a couple Eldar etc etc for a couple of £/$/whatever without committing to buying a whole squad or a special unit etc

You might be right. Better check on the used market.

Leunam

Keep an eye on your scales as well. I greatly enjoy painting heroic scale 28mm (Warhammer, Reaper) compared to true scale 28mm (Infinity, Arena Rex), though I'm starting to soften a bit on that. You might find it a challenge when the proportions are so different.

Well my starter supplies have arrived. Too bad it's still around minus 20 decrees celcius outside, so the can primer is out of question. Would it be possible to hand prime maybe two or three minis I don't care much just to get into practicing? Othervise it could be weeks until I am able to prime them with spray.

edit. I mean using the white from the bottle I have, not ordering a separate brush primer at this point

edit. 2 Tried googling and looks like the answer is no. Just need to wait until spring I suppose, or find some place I could so it inside, like a workshop or such.

Leunam

It's entirely possible to brush prime. Thing is, acrylic white or black is not the same as primer, but it can provide a base to work with.

In my own experiences, it is possible to prime minis in the cold or the heat, you just need to be careful about humidity. If I had to choose between priming in the cold or by hand with acrylics, priming by hand will allow you to recover from mistakes by stripping the paint later. Primer doesn't come off nearly as easily as acrylic.

It's entirely possible to brush prime. Thing is, acrylic white or black is not the same as primer, but it can provide a base to work with.

In my own experiences, it is possible to prime minis in the cold or the heat, you just need to be careful about humidity. If I had to choose between priming in the cold or by hand with acrylics, priming by hand will allow you to recover from mistakes by stripping the paint later. Primer doesn't come off nearly as easily as acrylic.

Thanks for the advice. Between our ny earlier post and yours, I did try to be really fast and use our warm warehouse and the balcony to spray one miniature. It's drying now. My initial assesment was that most parts looked okay, but I might have messed up the fingers of the worgen, looks a bit like they might be good for swimming lol.

Edit. Here's the prime job. Maybe I could fix the fish hand by cutting with a hobby knife?

That primer went on a bit too thick.. With primers, you do not need to coat the model 100% opaquely unless it will also be your base color, you just want a good adhesive surface for the basecolor to hang on to. It looks like you went for a very long single coat of primer, which went onto the model like a goop of wet paint, then viscosity led to it pooling in the recesses like the gaps between the fingers, hence the membrane-like paint you got there.

Feel free to go in with a sharp hobby knife and remove that excess paint, that will work.

In the future, as stated above, just give it one short burst from all four sides, and leave it to dry. Do this a second time if the coverage is bad. You will rarely ever need a third. When you do the bursts, never start the burst on the figure, start spraying to the left of the figure, then fairly quickly move the spray right to left, kind of moving it across the figure and making a few passes so that it's exposed to the spray for only a second or two.

Why? Two reasons: 1. Dry paint tends to collect at the nozzle and if you start spraying the mini, it will latch on and give you a rough finish. 2. It's easier to control the amount of paint that goes onto the figure this way.

I'm not sure if these were very clear when explaining in words, but you should just google youtube for a miniature priming tutorial. Here's one tha tI think is cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AcJCWk4YqQ

Top Bottom