• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mississippi House passes bill to legalize execution by firing squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
JACKSON, Miss. — Mississippi lawmakers are advancing a proposal to add firing squad, electrocution and gas chamber as execution methods in case a court blocks the use of lethal injection drugs.

House Bill 638 is a response to lawsuits filed by "liberal, left-wing radicals," said House Judiciary B Committee Chairman Andy Gipson, a Republican.

The bill passed the House amid opposition Wednesday, and it moves to the Senate for more debate.

Play Should we go back to the firing squad? Facebook Twitter Google Plus Embed
Should we go back to the firing squad? 3:54
Lethal injection is Mississippi's only execution method. The state faces lawsuits claiming the drugs it plans to use would violate constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.

Mississippi hasn't been able to acquire the execution drugs it once used, and it last carried out an execution in 2012. The state has 47 people on death row , and some have been there for decades.

The 33 states with the death penalty all have lethal injection as the primary method of execution, according to the Death Penalty Information Center . The center says only Oklahoma and Utah have firing squad as an option; eight states have electrocution as an option; five have gas chamber as an option; and three have hanging as an option.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ll-bring-back-firing-squad-executions-n718906

Jonnax

would expand options for the death penalty to include the electric chair, the firing squad, and the gas chamber.

Erm. Isn't Gas Chamber bit more of a shocking thing vs firing squad? Wtf wtf?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I mean if they are going to keep the death penalty and it's becoming increasingly more difficult to lethally inject someone, I guess this is an option.

Better than hanging anyway.

Xe4

Banned
As barbaric as the death penalty is, death by firing squad seems the least fucked up to me. Over very quickly (usually), and you can have an open casket. Certainly a lot more humane than injection or electrocution.

They all fucking suck though.

KHlover

Banned
That might actually be more humane than the hour long torture you got when they fucked up the chemical cocktail.

Steel

Banned
Honestly, may as well if capital punishment is legal anyway. Dead is dead. Though, it'd for sure fuck with the heads of the people pulling the trigger.

Now, if we're talking capital punishment in general, it's a bad idea. People on death row cost more than people who get life in prison, but, regardless.

As barbaric as the death penalty is, death by firing squad seems the least fucked up to me. Over very quickly (usually), and you can have an open casket. Certainly a lot more humane than injection or electrocution.

They all fucking suck though.

I mean injection when it works is way more humane than fucking shooting them

Xe4

Banned
Next up: bring back the guillotine
In terms of how humane a death it looks, the guillotine is the worst by far. In terms of how humane the death actually is, guillotine is the beat by far. Too much history for it to be used though, me thinks.

I know it looks horrendous, but wasn't the guillotine known for being painless? Sounds a lot better than getting shot and bleeding out as does risking a fuck up with lethal injection.

I don't see what the real deal about firing squads are, since like, the death penalty is already bad so like it's not that big a change. The gas chamber thing is concerning given the current president though.

Honestly, may as well if capital punishment is legal anyway. Dead is dead. Though, it'd for sure fuck with the heads of the people pulling the trigger.

Now, if we're talking capital punishment in general, it's a bad idea. People on death row cost more than people who get life in prison, but, regardless.

Psychologically that's why it is a squad.. you'll never know if your bullet killed the prisoner and neither will any of the other shooters, so in the end no one knows and can rest easy because well it wasn't their bullet.

The five executioners, certified police officers who remain anonymous, stood about 25 feet (7.6 meters) away and shot from behind a black curtain and through a brick wall cut with a gun port, or a special opening for the firearms. Of the five guns, one was loaded with a blank so that no one would be able to determine who fired the fatal shot.

http://www.livescience.com/10710-death-penalty-firing-squad-carried.html

Let's go!!! Repeat History!!

1VJZUXh.jpg

Xe4

Banned
I mean injection when it works is way more humane than fucking shooting them
When it works is the catch, though. When it fails, and it fails far too often, you end up in hours of excruciating pain sometimes unknown to those watching.

The nicest way of excecuting someone is probably by inhalation of something like helium while under, but there are no truly easy ways to die.

ChryZ

Go full guillotine, also handy when they're already in place ... you know ... for the revolution and stuff, the top 3% better not loose their heads

The firing squad is much more humane than electrocution or the gas chamber. If I had to be executed I would pick being shot. Still a regressive step nonetheless.

ICO_SotC

How do these people live with themselves knowing the number of people that have been released from death row due to discovery of new evidence, particularity DNA. If the process was speedier, those people would be dead. It's a good thing that the process is slow and deliberate.

I guess the chance to kill a lot of black people is just too good to pass up for these people.

If you're going to be executed it's probably the best way, it's quick and the general practice is to not load all the guns with real bullets so the executioner(s) don't know who actually killed the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom