• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dragon S2 |OT| Blood for Blood, Fire to Fire (no book discussion)

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I figured one of the Bastards would get a dragon, and I bet the guy in the city stealing the Veg claiming to be a Targ will get one too. That is the only reason to give him a plot at all. Something significant must come from showing him.

But I don't need dragon riders, I need some dragon fighters.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is a ridiculous take.
Daemon was emasculated from the beginning of the series. The entire point of his arc is that he keeps running away from his emotions, and chooses instead to lash out. He's only "strong" in the sense that he's violent, cruel and capricious - with a few nice one liners thrown in. He groomed his niece.
But at his core, he's always been a sulking, sullen man who craved attention and approval from his brother. This was pretty much established in the first two episodes of season 1.
Now he's been forced to look within himself, cause you can't fight dreams. You can't fight guilt. You can't fight your emotions. He's also learning that you can't bully and murder your way to victory. Sobbing over a dream, and experiencing some fucking emotion over the guilt he must feel over what he's put his own family through is now emasculating? What the fuck do you mean?
Nah, that IS the Targaryen way. How do you think Aegon the Conqueror did it? News flash, he didn't win an election based on his policies on agriculture reform and diplomacy. Daemon is a guy who WANTS to fight, but ran out of enemies too early. Now he has them again but in the show he's relegated to skulking around a giant castle asking advice from a scullery maid.
Unless of course, all you wanted from Daemon was a cool badass dragon man who flies around and kills people.
YES! That like his entire character! Man + Dragon = King

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Nah, that IS the Targaryen way. How do you think Aegon the Conqueror did it? News flash, he didn't win an election based on his policies on agriculture reform and diplomacy. Daemon is a guy who WANTS to fight, but ran out of enemies too early. Now he has them again but in the show he's relegated to skulking around a giant castle asking advice from a scullery maid.

Targs came in with dragons and took over. Because there were a group of people that ruled westeros prior to them I guess but I have no idea who. Dragons are the trump card in the world. Whoever has the dragons has the power.

Daemon does need people to fight. It would be useful to actually show his skill.

YES! That like his entire character! Man + Dragon = King
I'm sorry, but that is boring in my view. A bristling psychopath who just murders everyone in his way, is boring.
Aegon won some battles with fire and blood, but not all. You can win battles with Dragons easily, but you can't rule people without bringing them to your side. If Daemon just burned all the Riverlords, he would basically ruin any chances of success for his ascension to the throne. He can burn the Red Keep assuming Vaghar doesn't kill him, but after that what? He'll need a garrison to keep the castle. He'll need to be able to feed and provision for the peoples of Kings Landing.
The entire reason he went to Harrenhal is to raise a ground force. He could burn and kill all the riverlords, but that won't help him in the long run. The Riverlords themselves said they wouldn't be ruled by a Tyrant - one who has allegedly seen to the murder of an innocent child. So, what's he gonna do? Kill them all?

Also, GRRM's entire book series centres on the premise of "The human heart in conflict with itself". Daemon has conflict within him, and its interesting that its being addressed. Reducing him to just being Season 8 Danaerys but with a penis, would be trash.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

I liked the show better when Daemon was being a violent fucker who gave no fucks, and Paddy coming back reminded me of how much he carried the show in the first season.

It’s not like Seasons 7/8 of GoT but it does feel like a big drop from Season 1

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm sorry, but that is boring in my view. A bristling psychopath who just murders everyone in his way, is boring.
Aegon won some battles with fire and blood, but not all. You can win battles with Dragons easily, but you can't rule people without bringing them to your side. If Daemon just burned all the Riverlords, he would basically ruin any chances of success for his ascension to the throne. He can burn the Red Keep assuming Vaghar doesn't kill him, but after that what? He'll need a garrison to keep the castle. He'll need to be able to feed and provision for the peoples of Kings Landing.
The entire reason he went to Harrenhal is to raise a ground force. He could burn and kill all the riverlords, but that won't help him in the long run.

Also, GRRM's entire book series centres on the premise of "The human heart in conflict with itself". Daemon has conflict within him, and its interesting that its being addressed. Reducing him to just being Season 8 Danaerys but with a penis, would be trash.
We can debate this over in the book thread because book Daemon is quite different than show Daemon. They are having him do the EXACT OPPOSITE at times, for no real good reason since the main series of events is still playing out the same. All his scenes at Harrenhall should have been condensed into one episode focused on the Riverlands. I think this particular season would have benefitted from GOTs "focus each ep on just a few characters" editing versus the "spend 4 minutes on each character no matter how irrelevant it seems at the time". The Hugh, Ulf, and Addam/Alyn stuff in particular would have benefitted from this, I think, Daemon as well.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I liked the show better when Daemon was being a violent fucker who gave no fucks, and Paddy coming back reminded me of how much he carried the show in the first season.

It’s not like Seasons 7/8 of GoT but it does feel like a big drop from Season 1

To be fair he's still a violent fucker who gives no fucks. He's just grooving on that charm at the moment.

Serious answer: the writers seriously need to place him back into play. It was an interesting side story to build, but please get Matt Smith back into the wider story and let him cook

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'll also say, what's with these queens and their incessant sexual assault of their subordinants? Rhaenyra rapes Cole (I mean, she could have had him killed, surely he can't consent!), rapes Strong (he worked for her as well), and now is macking on Mysaria, right after she talks about her prior abuse. WTF?

Alicent did the same thing, raping poor Cole AGAIN and pulling a quid pro quo on Larys, exploiting his physical deformity for her own gain.

Maybe I'm misreading the show :p

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I really enjoyed the episode. I like all of the various story threads and the acting and dialogue continue to be stellar.

The haunting of Daemon I think is being used well personally. This episode it really all came together.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'll also say, what's with these queens and their incessant sexual assault of their subordinants? Rhaenyra rapes Cole (I mean, she could have had him killed, surely he can't consent!), rapes Strong (he worked for her as well), and now is macking on Mysaria, right after she talks about her prior abuse. WTF?

Alicent did the same thing, raping poor Cole AGAIN and pulling a quid pro quo on Larys, exploiting his physical deformity for her own gain.

Maybe I'm misreading the show :p
I wish Alicent would rape me. Idk how he struggles thru it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I figured one of the Bastards would get a dragon, and I bet the guy in the city stealing the Veg claiming to be a Targ will get one too. That is the only reason to give him a plot at all. Something significant must come from showing him.

But I don't need dragon riders, I need some dragon fighters.
Is the dude Seasmoke cornered also a bastard of the sea snake?

I am tired of seeing Daemon hallucinating in dreams for 4 straight episodes. He has done NOTHING this season. This has been dragging on for way too long.

And I don't understand why they need to end on the cliffhanger of who's riding Seasmoke. We all know it's that black guy with dreads. They even teased it earlier in the season.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Best episode so far. All it needed was a girl getting her ass smashed in for no reason and it would've been peak GoT.

Can't believe the dude from Milli Vanilli is a Dragon Rider.

HoodWinked

So one of the bastards is being setup to be a dragon rider but they aren't bastards of Rhaenys they're bastards of Corlys, but then that made me realize why doesn't Corlys have a dragon then. I guess the rationale is then Corlys has Targaryen blood but never tested his dragon taming abilities despite him having white hair and his entire family having dragons themselves lol.

Reactions: Gp1

taizuke

and now is macking on Mysaria, right after she talks about her prior abuse. WTF?

This took me out of the show. I immediately thought of Tyrion's story (in GoT) where he fell in love with a woman whom he saves after nearly getting raped and proceeds to have sex with him. We later found out it was Jamie who planned it (i think) but my point is Shae calls him out on it. How a woman who almost suffers one of the worst things that can happen to her would all of a sudden be willing to have sex.

Mysaria sharing such a horrible experience only for Rhaenyra to take advantage of it... is just not right. Besides, didn't we established Rhaenyra is straight? That whole talk of duck vs goose in S1 with Laenor? I guess the writers somehow forgot.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
This took me out of the show. I immediately thought of Tyrion's story (in GoT) where he fell in love with a woman whom he saves after nearly getting raped and proceeds to have sex with him. We later found out it was Jamie who planned it (i think) but my point is Shae calls him out on it. How a woman who almost suffers one of the worst things that can happen to her would all of a sudden be willing to have sex.

Mysaria sharing such a horrible experience only for Rhaenyra to take advantage of it... Besides, didn't we established Rhaenyra is straight? That whole talk of duck vs goose in S1 with Laenor? I guess the writers somehow forgot.
The Rhaenyra actress is gay, and from interviews sounds like she pushed for the kiss when the script just called for a hug.

If it were a man we'd call it toxic something something :p

But this show DESPERATELY needs some lust so I'll allow it :p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The script had the right call. I thought it was a harmful scene to Rhaenyra’s character that undermines all of the “you’re so virtuous” talk a moment before. But HBO needs its HBO moments, and they/them lady wanted to make out with her costar, fair enough.
lol just watched this scene. Definitely felt like an insert by the actress lol

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am tired of seeing Daemon hallucinating in dreams for 4 straight episodes. He has done NOTHING this season. This has been dragging on for way too long.

And I don't understand why they need to end on the cliffhanger of who's riding Seasmoke. We all know it's that black guy with dreads. They even teased it earlier in the season.
Yes to both. So many bullshit dreams and then they end the episode when something finally happens.

Gp1

So one of the bastards is being setup to be a dragon rider but they aren't bastards of Rhaenys they're bastards of Corlys, but then that made me realize why doesn't Corlys have a dragon then. I guess the rationale is then Corlys has Targaryen blood but never tested his dragon taming abilities despite him having white hair and his entire family having dragons themselves lol.

But Corlys has Targeryen blood? I don't want to google that and have the entire series spoiled.
Maybe house Velarayon became "diluted" with years of interactions with the Targeryen so they have some of the dragon "mojo" or maybe the famous Rasthargeryen fooled around with another unnamed distant Ms. Targeryen.

It was a good episode, but for Christ sake, give Daemon something to do.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That half-Asian what's her name character in Dragonstone is the most boring character in the series. I don't know why the show keeps giving her so many scenes. 100% skippable material.
Lady Benzodiazepine. Her fake accent and vocal fry and charisma black hole demeanor in HotD were one of the only faults I had with S1, but here, well, all the characters are moping around or throwing impotent tantrums or lecturing us about toxic masculinity instead of doing anything, for six episodes and counting, so she fits right in.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I had to pause this episode with like five minutes left earlier.

Oh hell yes hot Rhaenyra on what's her spy face action whoo. Hand me my lotion

Mysaria sharing such a horrible experience only for Rhaenyra to take advantage of it... is just not right. Besides, didn't we established Rhaenyra is straight? That whole talk of duck vs goose in S1 with Laenor? I guess the writers somehow forgot.
I read that as Mysaria using her story to emotionally manipulate Rhaenyra. Mysaria definitely has her own end game as I don't buy her story of "i don't trust anyone but I trust you". Her story felt tailored made for Rhaenrya as it wouldn't have the same emotional impact if she were a man. Currently, Rhaenyra trusts her the most. We even see her son not being in the loop in this episode.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Enjoyed the first season but so far I'm bored out of my mind during this season so much so that I'm having trouble keeping track of the plot because I feel like nothing is happening so Im just zoning out and I'm stuck in this loop... Am I the minority here?

Last edited:

HoodWinked

I remember being disappointed that Season 2 was only 8 episodes, presuming it was done solely to cut costs.

But I think they really just struggled with having enough material to even stretch this thing to 8 episodes.

I watched the first 2 chapters of the season and the quality of the writing is terrible compared to the first season. Some plot points feel like they took them straight from the acolyte.

It´s like they fell straight from GOT S01 level writing to S07

I´ll keep watching but if it keeps like this, I don´t believe I´m going to watch the third season

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Meme review

7yMhGPg.jpeg

AcGnp9j.png

0tBbTiW.jpeg

fVueldm.jpeg

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
That half-Asian what's her name character in Dragonstone is the most boring character in the series. I don't know why the show keeps giving her so many scenes. 100% skippable material.

I just realized last episode that the actress is same girl getting married in Crazy Rich Asians lol. Which is wild because in that movie she has like hyperactive sorority girl vibes haha.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I just realized last episode that the actress is same girl getting married in Crazy Rich Asians lol. Which is wild because in that movie she has like hyperactive sorority girl vibes haha.

Well she is really neither person she is not a medieval genius advise giver or a sorority girl. SHE IS AN ACTRESS. just a pretender.

jason10mm

Gold Member
2024 has been rough for my shows. First, HBO snuffed out the last remaining goodwill that the True Detective name had with Night Country.

Then, RTD returns to put the final nail in the coffin of Doctor Who.

Now, HotD is falling off a cliff to a degree that I'm not sure I'll be back for S3.
Cobra Kai is holding strong.

Obliterated, by the same folks, ain't uniformly great but is a nice throwback to cinemax action shows of the 00's.

And I'm sure Rings of Power is gonna knock your socks off :p

Cobra Kai is holding strong.

Obliterated, by the same folks, ain't uniformly great but is a nice throwback to cinemax action shows of the 00's.

And I'm sure Rings of Power is gonna knock your socks off :p

Is Cobra Kai really good or is it just "Netflix good"? I always hear good things but then I see that Netflix logo and I'm just not sure...

Thinking more about HotD, there are a lot of problems but sidelining Daemon for almost a whole season is probably the worst part.

Daemon's scenes kind of remind me of Arya's faceless man training in a way. They're isolated from any other characters you could possibly care about, engaging in spooky nonsense, and not moving anything forward. Just really, really boring stuff.

Last edited:

Denton

Lady Benzodiazepine. Her fake accent and vocal fry and charisma black hole demeanor in HotD were one of the only faults I had with S1, but here, well, all the characters are moping around or throwing impotent tantrums or lecturing us about toxic masculinity instead of doing anything, for six episodes and counting, so she fits right in.
I actually don't hate the actress (I liked her well enough in Devs and that Chemical Brothers video) but this is perfect summary of S2.
S1 was like, almost 10/10
S2 is 5/10 if I am generous. Incredible step down in pacing, writing, plot developing.
The show is lucky its crew is so talented so at least it still looks good and has good atmosphere.

2024 has been rough for my shows. First, HBO snuffed out the last remaining goodwill that the True Detective name had with Night Country.

Then, RTD returns to put the final nail in the coffin of Doctor Who.

Now, HotD is falling off a cliff to a degree that I'm not sure I'll be back for S3.

Also, The Boys had its worst season yet (by a significant margin).

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
HotD S2 has whack moments but it's no where near as bad as post S4 of GoT. I have yet to see an outcome of "20 good men" sabotaging an entire fucking army like what happened with Stannis and Ramsey. The girl boss empowerment moment was good until they started getting off with each other.

Thaedolus

HotD S2 has whack moments but it's no where near as bad as post S4 of GoT. I have yet to see an outcome of "20 good men" sabotaging an entire fucking army like what happened with Stannis and Ramsey. The girl boss empowerment moment was good until they started getting off with each other.
…in episode six Lady (Arynn?) did say something like she'd send 7 good men with Daemon’s daughter and I was like
The Boys Homelander GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Last edited:
Started watching season 2 after a rewatch of the first season.
After two episodes I can say the quality is still on par with the first season. Does it really get that bad later?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Maybe I’m being too hard on it. But, honestly feels like I’m watching a CW show half the time. People standing opposite each other on soapboxes expressing themselves with the subtlety of a third grader.

“When I became The Flash, I knew this city needed a hero. And I knew I had to find a way to exonerate my wrongfully imprisoned father. That’s why I became The Flash. I know I’ve had to make some hard choices along the way, but I still believe I’m doing the right thing.”

“When I became your girlfriend, The Flash, I believed in the importance of you saving this city and exonerating your wrongfully convicted father. That’s why I became your girlfriend. But now, after the events of the previous episode where you stood me up to save this city, I don’t know if I can still be your girlfriend, even though I will always love you, The Flash.”

Top Bottom