• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mississippi House passes bill to legalize execution by firing squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaniel

Banned
why a squad though ? single clean headshot wouldnt kill someone ?

They aim for the heart, not the head. The squad ensures that at least one of the multiple shots is likely to hit the target correctly, and also provides plausible deniability (to clear the conscience of the shooters) by giving the option of adding one or more blanks to the guns of the shooters in the squad.

I know it looks horrendous, but wasn't the guillotine known for being painless? Sounds a lot better than getting shot and bleeding out as does risking a fuck up with lethal injection.

There are eyewitness reports that the heads of guillotined victims could continue making movements for several seconds after being severed, so it's possible that such a method is more painful than we would anticipate. The firing squad is actually usually pretty quick and painless because taking 5 rifle bullets all aimed at the heart tends to be instantly fatal; you don't die from bleeding out, you die because your heart is obliterated. Lethal injection seems the most humane, but we've had a number of stories in the last year or so about botched executions, so that's not great. Regardless, you're talking about taking a life; no matter how humane you make it, the human body is going to resist any attempt to kill it, so there's no real perfect solution. I don't think the issue is bringing back specific forms of capital punishment, I think the issue is (remains) should we have capital punishment in the first place?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ive never understood lethal injection why not just sedate you then whack of your head? i mean lethal injection seems like it is designed to torture. putting a dog or a cat down is instant, just use that shit?!

As barbaric as the death penalty is, death by firing squad seems the least fucked up to me. Over very quickly (usually), and you can have an open casket. Certainly a lot more humane than injection or electrocution.

They all fucking suck though.

Wait, you can have an open casket if 5 people have shot at you? Do firing squads aim for head or chest? (...I can't believe I'm talking about this right now.)

Public street execution too?

izWhEwH.jpg

Steel

Banned
Psychologically that's why it is a squad.. you'll never know if your bullet killed the prisoner and neither will any of the other shooters, so in the end no one knows and can rest easy because well it wasn't their bullet.

http://www.livescience.com/10710-death-penalty-firing-squad-carried.html

I'm not sure if that's how it'd work in practice. That being said, I'm not sure why they don't just get a contraption that would get a perfect headshot on the person in an automated fashion to avoid responsibility.

Wait, you can have an open casket if 5 people have shot at you? Do firing squads aim for head or chest? (...I can't believe I'm talking about this right now.)

The heart

I'm not sure if that's how it'd work in practice. That being said, I'm not sure why they don't just get a contraption that would get a perfect headshot on the person in an automated fashion to avoid responsibility.

Because they don't want to disfigure the head...

Because it would be messy and gore-filled. Same reason the guillotine isn't used anymore even if, as has been pointed out its probably the most painless way of executing someone.

Woorloog

Banned
Maybe not so bad, based on my assumption that death comes quickly.

Not really quick, if the executioners have poor aim. Or maybe bullets won't do large enough wounds, wrong ammo type, or whatever else can go wrong. Humans are rather resilient.

Also very messy death in all likelihood, if you must have something as stupid as death penalty, it should be dignified. Unfortunately, there are no easy methods of killing without mutilating the person, or letting them suffer (eg gas chamber, electric chair which is somewhat unreliable).

ive never understood lethal injection why not just sedate you then whack of your head? i mean lethal injection seems like it is designed to torture. putting a dog or a cat down is instant, just use that shit?!
Here's a thing, there is little difference in what is needed to cause unconsciousness and death. There is not such thing as a safe knock-out punch. Anything that can knock a person out is very close to killing them, and brain damage is likely if the person survives.

Lethal injections? Not reliable either, not without trained personnel and without right stuff.

Absolutely disgusting. Stop regressing USA.

I mean, they aren't hitting them with shotguns and machine guns here. We're talking Pistols and single shot rifles against a stationary target. It'll be a clean shot no matter what. From that point all it takes is some clay and makeup and you can hide the holes for an open casket funeral.

I'm guessing anything that leaves a body mutilated is a no go. People like to think of these executions as clean and civilized and you've got to think of the family of the deceased.

Continue regressing USA. Absolutely disgusting.

I mean, they aren't hitting them with shotguns and machine guns here. We're talking Pistols and single shot rifles against a stationary target. It'll be a clean shot no matter what. From that point all it takes is some face clay and makeup and you can hide the holes for an open casket funeral.

Don't even need makeup, wounds in the chest, suit covers wounds.

They ain't shooting them in the fucking head.

Dierce

Republicans are just attempting test runs before implementing the final solution. And Im not being sarcastic.

How about outlawing capital punishment and legalizing drug use and free addiction treatment for all. Problem solved.

Don't even need makeup, wounds in the chest, suit covers wounds.

They ain't shooting them in the fucking head.

Agh, that would be worse. If they got shot in the chest they would still be alive while they bled out. Atleast if it was to the head it would be nearly instant.

If they got shot in the chest they would still be alive while they bled out. Atleast if it was to the head it would be nearly instant.

Usually it obliterates the heart.

4 to 5 bullets to the head will do a lot more psychical damage to the head than you think and you'd still run the risk of fucked up survival.

Like this is stupid and shouldn't happen but no shooting the head isn't better.

Not really quick, if the executioners have poor aim. Or maybe bullets won't do large enough wounds, wrong ammo type, or whatever else can go wrong. Humans are rather resilient.

Also very messy death in all likelihood, if you must have something as stupid as death penalty, it should be dignified. Unfortunately, there are no easy methods of killing without mutilating the person, or letting them suffer (eg gas chamber, electric chair which is somewhat unreliable).

What about fully sedating them, and draining their blood?

Polari

As barbaric as the death penalty is, death by firing squad seems the least fucked up to me. Over very quickly (usually), and you can have an open casket. Certainly a lot more humane than injection or electrocution.

They all fucking suck though.

Hanging seems the best. Capital punishment is barbaric though.

Woorloog

Banned
What about fully sedating them, and draining their blood?

Well, that requires anesthesia and that requires a trained personnel to do it properly, something i understand may not be always possible, which is why some executions with lethal injections have been botched.

That said, exsanguination is apparently reasonably painless. (And, i guess the blood (and organs) could be used elsewhere then.) But try selling the idea to people.

Hanging seems the best. Capital punishment is barbaric though.

Hanging is slow, if done by suffocation, tricky if done by snapping the neck. And generally seen as shameful or otherwise a bad way to go... Long ago, it was reserved for traitors and petty thieves. I don't think that image has changed even nowadays, when capital punishment isn't used in much of the west.

Is this meant to be a bad thing? I would well prefer this over any of the other possible methods of execution available in the US

Woorloog

Banned
How about the north korea method? Instant obliteration by an anti aircraft gun.

The stories about executions done with AA guns or mortars or whatever else are most likely South Korea propaganda. Considering how poor NK is, i'd imagine they likely execute people with single bullet (neck, from behind, like Chinese do according to some reports), hanging or maybe just slicing their throat, or by some other economical mean.

IIRC european pharma companies decided not to allow their drugs to be used to kill people anymore and that's part of where the shortage comes from.

This kind of move almost sounds like a threat "here's what we'll do when you refuse to give us drugs to kill people" sort of way.

Fury451

Banned
Firing squad seems tame compared to other methods honestly.

Also these never fully went away, firing squad has been around in quite a few states up till now as either a backup or a choice (in Utah), so I'm not sure what's shocking about this in particular.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Well, that requires anesthesia and that requires a trained personnel to do it properly, something i understand may not be always possible, which is why some executions with lethal injections have been botched.

That said, exsanguination is apparently reasonably painless. (And, i guess the blood (and organs) could be used elsewhere then.) But try selling the idea to people.

Hanging is slow, if done by suffocation, tricky if done by snapping the neck. And generally seen as shameful or otherwise a bad way to go... Long ago, it was reserved for traitors and petty thieves. I don't think that image has changed even nowadays, when capital punishment isn't used in much of the west.

Depending on the person's neck muscles and how you set the rope, hanging can put a person out pretty much like a light even without a long drop. It's pretty much the same way autoerotic asphyxiation victims just pass out before they even realize what they did wrong.

An inert gas hood would probably be the most painless way of doing it though.

I don't think any of the currently employed methods of the death penalty are particularly humane. This actually seems to be more humane (read: quicker and less enduring pain) than a botched injection or the electric chair.

Honestly just put a gun against my head and do it.

The stories about executions done with AA guns or mortars or whatever else are most likely South Korea propaganda. Considering how poor NK is, i'd imagine they likely execute people with single bullet (neck, from behind, like Chinese do according to some reports), hanging or maybe just slicing their throat, or by some other economical mean.

For the most part yeah, but I was under the impression that the AA gun method is reserved for high ranking officials.

There are eyewitness reports that the heads of guillotined victims could continue making movements for several seconds after being severed, so it's possible that such a method is more painful than we would anticipate. The firing squad is actually usually pretty quick and painless because taking 5 rifle bullets all aimed at the heart tends to be instantly fatal; you don't die from bleeding out, you die because your heart is obliterated. Lethal injection seems the most humane, but we've had a number of stories in the last year or so about botched executions, so that's not great. Regardless, you're talking about taking a life; no matter how humane you make it, the human body is going to resist any attempt to kill it, so there's no real perfect solution. I don't think the issue is bringing back specific forms of capital punishment, I think the issue is (remains) should we have capital punishment in the first place?

Yes.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
If this has to be done, just sit a guy down in a chair and have a robot/mechanism fire a handgun into the back of the inmate's skull. That way it's quick and there's not 5 dudes who are scarred for life.

Woorloog

Banned
Depending on the person's neck muscles and how you set the rope, hanging can put a person out pretty much like a light even without a long drop. It's pretty much the same way autoerotic asphyxiation victims just pass out before they even realize what they did wrong.

An inert gas hood would probably be the most painless way of doing it though.
Assumes correct execution (har har). Too often personnel handling things are incompetent somehow. Like when they hanged Saddam Hussein.
They say other states have different execution options, so gets to pick? The inmate, the judge, randomly?

I thought those states with capital punishment usually have one primary method, and possibly alternatives if the prisoner wants or the primary is not possible for whatever reason. But i guess it depends on the state.

If this has to be done, just sit a guy down in a chair and have a robot/mechanism fire a handgun into the back of the inmate's skull. That way it's quick and there's not 5 dudes who are scarred for life.

There'd be no face left then.
Also, someone must still activate the robot, ergo, that person is the executioner.

Fury451

Banned
I can't believe we are having a discussion about this in 2017...

Again, this isn't something that ever fully went away.

Wiki:
From 1976 to January 1, 2016, there were 1,422 executions, of which 1,247 were by lethal injection, 158 by electrocution, 11 by gas inhalation, 3 by hanging, and 3 by firing squad.

Offender-selected methods
In the following states, death row inmates with an execution warrant may choose to be executed by:[93][94]
Electrocution in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
Gas inhalation in Arizona and California.
Hanging in Washington.
Firing squad in Utah.
In five states (Arizona, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee and Utah), the alternative method is offered only to inmates sentenced to death for crimes committed prior to a specified date (usually when the state switched from the earlier method to lethal injection).
When an offender chooses to be executed by a means different from the state default method, which is always lethal injection, he loses the right to challenge its constitutionality in court (Stewart v. Lagrand, 1999).

Backup methods
Depending on the state, the following alternative methods are statutorily provided in the event that lethal injection is either found unconstitutional by a court or unavailable for practical reasons:[93][94][95]
Electrocution in Florida, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Tennessee.
Gas inhalation in California, Missouri, Oklahoma and Wyoming.
Hanging in New Hampshire.
Firing squad in Oklahoma and Utah.

We can debate capital punishment, but getting hung up on this method as being caused by Trump or being something unheard of in the US today isn't accurate.

The last firing squad execution was only 7 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom