• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dragon S2 |OT| Blood for Blood, Fire to Fire (no book discussion)

Maybe I’m being too hard on it. But, honestly feels like I’m watching a CW show half the time. People standing opposite each other on soapboxes expressing themselves with the subtlety of a third grader.

“When I became The Flash, I knew this city needed a hero. And I knew I had to find a way to exonerate my wrongfully imprisoned father. That’s why I became The Flash. I know I’ve had to make some hard choices along the way, but I still believe I’m doing the right thing.”

“When I became your girlfriend, The Flash, I believed in the importance of you saving this city and exonerating your wrongfully convicted father. That’s why I became your girlfriend. But now, after the events of the previous episode where you stood me up to save this city, I don’t know if I can still be your girlfriend, even though I will always love you, The Flash.”

CW Audience has always been predominantly women 🙄

Reason why I didn't like most of the CW DC Shows

Edit- Thought you were talking about CW shows, but comparing House of The Dragon Season 2 to a CW show is a perfect analogy. I can't believe the quality of the writing has been this bad since the first season it was so good. Even the slow scenes with dialogue was fantastic

I haven't watched this episode yet but I think I'm dropping the show after Season 2 ends

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Has always been aimed at women 🙄

Edit- Thought you were talking about CW shows, but comparing House of The Dragon Season 2 to a CW show is a perfect analogy. I can't believe the quality of the writing has been this bad since the first season it was so good. Even the slow scenes with dialogue was fantastic

I haven't watched this episode yet but I think I'm dropping the show after Season 2 ends
Yeah, that’s what I mean. This season of HotD is written like a CW show where everyone makes long-winded speeches at each other to help the braindead audience understand everyone’s motivations and feelings. Also probably because the CW actors can’t act and are only there to be hot.

Season 1 HotD writing was excellent. So many amazingly tense scenes where just a little glance between characters conveyed so much. Subtext and nuance. Scenes where dangerous, powerful, and sometimes impulsive people could snap and change the course of events at any moment. Schemes playing out at court, balance of power shifting on each precipice.

I think I’m done after S2 unless a new show runner comes in or they bring back Miguel Sapochnik. It’s gone from 9/10 to 5/10 for me.

Romulus

Why was Silverwing suddenly in kings landing after getting that bastard rider? Seemed like they were trying to imply they were setting up Vagar for an ambush but just seems weird they're all working together suddenly.

Silverwing's brand new rider hadn't even had time to wipe the mud from his face when he was in the pit but he's part of a plan? Or maybe no one planned on silverwing taking off to kings landing.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Why was Silverwing suddenly in kings landing after getting that bastard rider? Seemed like they were trying to imply they were setting up Vagar for an ambush but just seems weird they're all working together suddenly.

Silverwing's brand new rider hadn't even had time to wipe the mud from his face when he was in the pit but he's part of a plan? Or maybe no one planned on silverwing taking off to kings landing.
Wasn't planned, he was joyriding straight from the pit. Aemond attempted to intercept, but decided better of it when he started approaching Dragonstone, since he's outnumbered there and there are too many unknown elements.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Maybe I’m being too hard on it. But, honestly feels like I’m watching a CW show half the time. People standing opposite each other on soapboxes expressing themselves with the subtlety of a third grader.

“When I became The Flash, I knew this city needed a hero. And I knew I had to find a way to exonerate my wrongfully imprisoned father. That’s why I became The Flash. I know I’ve had to make some hard choices along the way, but I still believe I’m doing the right thing.”

“When I became your girlfriend, The Flash, I believed in the importance of you saving this city and exonerating your wrongfully convicted father. That’s why I became your girlfriend. But now, after the events of the previous episode where you stood me up to save this city, I don’t know if I can still be your girlfriend, even though I will always love you, The Flash.”

IMO this season is definitely worse than the first season. Daemon was the best part of the show and he has been tripping balls now not doing much of anything for like three episodes.

That said it's still pretty good. There have been some good battles, a lot of interesting discussions, etc. But you know, after season 8 or whatever of GoT I came into this low expectations. Especilally after one of the show runners left.

Edit: BTW I love Aemond. This actor is so good at playing a disgusting villain.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Good episode. I am enjoying the season overall. A few of the plot threads seem to drag on a bit more so it is not as good as S1. I thought this was only going to be 2 seasons since there's only one book (haven't read it). I am now reading there will be around 4 seasons. I was not expecting that.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Can we fucking get on with the setup already? It’s been like 6 episodes of setup with one decent battle/main character death. I guess Egg got maimed too.

I guess in this episode the Tulley boy talking shit to Daemon to his face and flexing on him was pretty good and unexpected. I hope they saved their budget for the last episode with the three or four armies and dragons duking it out. But yeah this season feels more like a Harry Potter spinoff

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

You should not have watched CW flash. Only Smallville was good for a time.

There is some posturing, but there was also some cool Dragons dragoning last night.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Will they do a series about the Targaryen's showing up with Dragons and taking over westeros. I assume it someone mirrors the Norman conquest.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Will they do a series about the Targaryen's showing up with Dragons and taking over westeros. I assume it someone mirrors the Norman conquest.
I have heard that is in the works (that period is Aegon's Conquest) but who knows, there have been a dozen spin-offs rumors, one even had a pilot shot but was canned. I would LOVE to have seen that. It was set in Valyria well before Aegon's Conquest, IIRC.

The most likely to happen, IMHO, is Dunk and Egg. These would be based on the three novellas GRRM wrote back when he was writing, about 80-100 years before Dany and Game of Thrones IIRC. A lot of the "prophecy" stuff they are putting in HotD could play out there as well.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I have heard that is in the works (that period is Aegon's Conquest) but who knows, there have been a dozen spin-offs rumors, one even had a pilot shot but was canned. I would LOVE to have seen that. It was set in Valyria well before Aegon's Conquest, IIRC.

The most likely to happen, IMHO, is Dunk and Egg. These would be based on the three novellas GRRM wrote back when he was writing, about 80-100 years before Dany and Game of Thrones IIRC. A lot of the "prophecy" stuff they are putting in HotD could play out there as well.

that is coming

jason10mm

Gold Member

that is coming
Yeah, these should be pretty good. Unlike HotD these are fully fleshed out stories with all the dialogue and wit and character we expect from GRRM. Hopefully it acts as a bit of an antidote to the very tepid and safe HotD and we get some fun back.

jason10mm

Gold Member

He shoulda kept going and attacked. None of these new dragonriders know WTF they are doing, Rhaenyra wasn't on her dragon, Jace was nowhere to be seen (and he even let his mom go out and confront Seasmoke by herself, he is sulking I guess or out maintaining the bockade of ships?). If rider skill is a main factor in dragonfight success then Aemond is currently the most skilled rider alive. If its mostly just dragon skill, I'm not sure all those dragons would have pitched in against Vaghar as they have a CENTURY or more of time together and don't seem like they fight amongst themselves particularly much (with a few notable exceptions).

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
He shoulda kept going and attacked. None of these new dragonriders know WTF they are doing, Rhaenyra wasn't on her dragon, Jace was nowhere to be seen (and he even let his mom go out and confront Seasmoke by herself, he is sulking I guess or out maintaining the bockade of ships?). If rider skill is a main factor in dragonfight success then Aemond is currently the most skilled rider alive. If its mostly just dragon skill, I'm not sure all those dragons would have pitched in against Vaghar as they have a CENTURY or more of time together and don't seem like they fight amongst themselves particularly much (with a few notable exceptions).

Vhagar looks old and dumpy compared to the other dragons. I know he it the biggest but he also has like a big ugly neck and ratty wings.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Another boring episode. I really dont understand why they thought focusing so much on these two randos getting their own dragons would make for good tv. It was obvious from day one that these characters would get their own dragons given so much screentime in the beginning of the season.

At least the Damon/Lord Tully scenes were good. The way the boy turned the tables on him was absolutely fantastic and classic Game of Thrones. Thats real drama. You didnt need dragons burning people randomly to create tension.

The rest though. I dont think ive been this bored by a TV show in a while. Mostly because i dont watch bad tv shows, but this is by far the worst HBO show ive seen in decades. TV episodes are supposed to be fun and have their own arc within the overall arc of the season. You cant just have 7 episodes stetting up the finale. Or in this case, setting up the final two seasons. I have no idea why we need to see so many flashbacks of Damon. Or so many scenes trying to find riders. None of those guys are interesting characters. They arent given interesting things to do. The first season did such a great job introducing so many characters and making them all easy to love/hate. WTF happened?

P.S The ending of this episode with Rhynera just standing there looking all cool instead of getting on a dragon and finishing off Aemond is so stupid. just end the damn thing. you have a 5:1 advantage. Who cares if they are being ridden by amateurs. but no, we need to see a cool shot of Rhynera to end another underwhelming episode.

Second to last episode and the story is still moving at glacial pace. The scene where Kid Tully forcing Daemon's hands is pretty good, but other than there are just way too many fillers. Also, what a wasted opportunity to have alicent nude.

Is Larys supposed to be this incompetent? He seems to be oblivious to the whole propaganda campaign in King's Landing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Second to last episode and the story is still moving at glacial pace. The scene where Kid Tully forcing Daemon's hands is pretty good, but other than there are just way too many fillers. Also, what a wasted opportunity to have alicent nude.

Is Larys supposed to be this incompetent? He seems to be oblivious to the whole propaganda campaign in King's Landing.
Agreed. Even if the actress wasn't down for it, at least get a body double with a more sheer gown, that thing was 6mm white plastic :p

I just hope Cole sees the two of them coming back into the city and assumes she's banging a new Kingsguards and strikes him down :p

I wonder if Larys is complicit. Mysaria seems to be able to do more from Dragonstone than is possible, orchestrating evacuations and putting out feelers for "dragonseeds" all without Larys knowing? A few more scenes of Gold Cloaks/small folk being subversive or fighting the secret police would have been preferred. The Gold Cloaks or some sort of royal task force are working with the Greens to the point where they can capture and execute all the Rat catchers, which implies a certain level of competence and cooperation. If all the nobles are living in their own little world of ignorance as the city totally turns on them then Larys needs more screentime to show his POV.

I wonder if Larys is complicit. Mysaria seems to be able to do more from Dragonstone than is possible, orchestrating evacuations and putting out feelers for "dragonseeds" all without Larys knowing? A few more scenes of Gold Cloaks/small folk being subversive or fighting the secret police would have been preferred. The Gold Cloaks or some sort of royal task force are working with the Greens to the point where they can capture and execute all the Rat catchers, which implies a certain level of competence and cooperation. If all the nobles are living in their own little world of ignorance as the city totally turns on them then Larys needs more screentime to show his POV.
the only explanation I can think of is that Larys is undermining Aemond because he can't influence him. Larys has every interest to have Aegon retake the throne since he would be able to manipulate him. A short scene showing Larys being more aware than he lets on would've been some clarity. I just think it's waste of his character to have do nothing and know nothing, despite being a spymaster.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

giphy.gif

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I thoroughly enjoyed watching that dragon fucking roast everyone lol.

Also thought it was fitting the town drunk got teamed up with the dragon that slept right through the mass roasting event haha.

Last edited:

K' Dash

This season could’ve been an email. What a waste.

If they didn’t have enough material to work with they should have just ended this in two seasons instead of dragging it out.

Idiots.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I started S2 yesterday and...fuck if I remember anything from S1.
The only things I DO remember are the psycho knight (that apparently is fucking the Queen now), Eye patch Dante, Black dudes with white rasta and...someone with a dragon killing the other Queen's son during an aerial fight.

Methinks I'll have to rewatch S1 again - something which I'm not looking forward to ffs
I only watched the last episode from the first season. And it helped.

Go_Ly_Dow

This season has had its problems as Evilore and others have mentioned and together as a package is so far a big step down from season 1, BUT on an individual episode basis I enjoyed this one and a few other eps. Now it comes down to the finale to which I've set my expectations quite low. Hopefully it's epic though.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Finale can still save it. Hasn't been bad enough for me to drop it but when Olivia Cooke and Matt Smith know themselves there's been a quality difference....

jason10mm

Gold Member
Finale can still save it. Hasn't been bad enough for me to drop it but when Olivia Cooke and Matt Smith know themselves there's been a quality difference....
Have they said something?

Condal is EP on the dunk and egg series, but hopefully his languid pacing doesn't prevail there. That needs to be a more dashing, less cerebral, show.

Final episode got leaked but not in full. Gonna be funny to see EviLore and SlimySnake's reactions.
My immediate assumption is that this last episode will mostly be setup for the next season. Maybe there will be one pivotal moment, like a betrayal or something, but that’s it. It will be a mirror of season 1’s last two-ish episodes.

Maybe in addition we will get one last cool shot of the dragons/dragonriders all together like The Ronin Warriors.

shiny-trooper.gif

SlimySnake

My immediate assumption is that this last episode will mostly be setup for the next season. Maybe there will be one pivotal moment, like a betrayal or something, but that’s it. It will be a mirror of season 1’s last two-ish episodes.

Maybe in addition we will get one last cool shot of the dragons/dragonriders all together like The Ronin Warriors.

shiny-trooper.gif
if there is no big war scene like episode 4 then fuck HBO. they used to have standards.

I just watched their mini series on the Baltimire Freddie Grey riots, We Own This City. It has more action in 6 episodes in cop drama than a fantasy show about dragons.

Thaedolus

Episode 4 probably was the big war scene. How much budget was put behind this season?
They’ve been building up to a huge battle all season. Lannisters and Hightowers/Green armies and dragons vs Riverlands and Stark and black dragons. If it doesn’t happen this week then yeah fuck HBO

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Finale was all set up for the start of the next season ... which will take a few years to arrive. :(

Draugoth

Gold Member
I cant believe they didnt give us a single battle.

Also, i was downright convinced The Lanniser and the pirate trans leader would fuck each other in the ass. The sexual tension was way to high.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Absolutely awful episode. This just might be the worst second season of any tv show ive ever seen. i was convinced they were saving the big battle for the last episode but nope. they had nothing. absolutely nothing.

imagine nothing happening for 90% of the entire season.

the fact that it took them 2 years to make this trash is even more mind boggling. 2 years for eight episodes where nothing happens? wtf.

Honestly, and im not exaggerating but this is straight up fraud. if i was a paying member of hbo, i would want a refund. you simply cant end a season without a real ending. have they lost their fucking minds?

K' Dash

What the fuck just happened 😂

We waited 2 fucking years for this?

Honestly, this is The Hobbit all over again, this should have been 2 seasons, but of course, the fucking idiots at HBO need to stretch a 12 page story into 5 seasons.

if there is no big war scene like episode 4 then fuck HBO. they used to have standards.
They’ve been building up to a huge battle all season. If it doesn’t happen this week then yeah fuck HBO
oprah-winfrey.gif

I might not know the book's pacing (because I didn't read it), but I have a very good grasp of HBO pacing (and budget). HBO shows are known for their slow burn and reaching a budget cap on one or two big events.

There's three possibilities for next season. Either we are getting another 2 year gap for budgetary reasons, or they will split the season in half for budgetary reasons, or some of these upcoming battles will be skipped/low budget to make way for the biggest battles.

Each time a dragon is on screen it's the CGI budget equivalent of this:

57e1f1a8f9f23d71fb23eb5fc21f440af85044b87e94cd73654f4802d490b2b5_1.jpg

And we're about to have a multitude of them on screen next season.

Top Bottom