• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

duckroll

Well, I think the problem with comparing TB to RK in the first place, is that I've always pointed out that RK's pulls are simply unattractive from a core design point. The rates don't even matter as much as the actual satisfaction the content of the pulls give.

In TB, if you get a dupe for a character you don't want to use, that kinda sucks. But that's like, the worst possible outcome. For players who don't already have a ton of characters, the odds are good that you'll be getting new characters each time you pull. Even if you get A and B characters instead, there are a decent number of characters in the A and B pool who aren't dogshit and some are actually more useful in a given situation than S/SS/Z characters. Not better characters necessarily, but characters which will still be useful to a player who didn't already have them. Each character has 3 job classes, with 4 different skills per job class. Each job has a different piece of character art, and there's story stuff to read that goes with each one. Some characters have interactions with other characters in the story text.

In FFRK, getting the "worst possible outcome" (ie: a weapon/armor you don't want or care about) is the default. The only truly "valuable" drops with unique uses are the 5 star weapons which give specific characters more limit breaks. For everything else, the weapons are just a stat. They don't add anything fun to the battles, and getting a 4-star weapon feels pretty crummy when you know that you can just combine three 2-star weapons from that same series to make something that has pretty much the same effect. There are no unique weapon sprites in battle. The weapons and armor do not come with their own skills. It's literally a pool of garbage with very few gems that people actually want.

I think that's why psychologically, I would never ever spend any money on FFRK. It makes no sense to.

Falk

that puzzling face
The stats aren't nearly that simple

A 2++ (e.g 2* combined twice) is nowhere near as good as a native 4*, and that holds true pretty much across the board. While there are exceptions (and daggers/bows are generally lower in stats in general) the ranking goes something along the lines of

4+
3++ == 4
3+
2++ == 3
2+
1++ == 2
1+

Add into the mix Record Synergies (for example, a Greatsword++, base 2* item combined twice, has 115 ATK in FFVI realms, while a Buster Sword 5* has 109 in FFVI realms. Greatsword pretty much blows in every other realm though) and suddenly every single piece of gear is something you fret over if it's worth keeping for min-maxing all situations. For most people it doesn't really matter, but the min-max is real and it does make inventory management really obtuse at points, especially with the (not-so-)shitty(-now) inventory UI.

tl;dr a 4* is pretty irreplaceable for that realm, only outclassed by rolling another same 4+ to combine it, or a 5* natural, which is even better.

Probably not the right place to discuss this though lol

Foolworm

Holy wow.
So after a few runs of 5-8 for Sentient Flames (and getting atm one per 2 runs), I just looted in a single run -6- flames.
No TH. Didn't know it was possible.

So yeah, Seiryu j3 get.

That's a one in a trillion thing. Buy a lottery ticket, you have a streak going on.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I think TB is more encouraging to play for me because I know perhaps at the last legs of this game as Mistwalker cuts its life cord, I might have cleared out the entire tavern because there is a finite amount of pulling.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeh, the fact that you can basically grind your way to some guaranteed good characters (and Seiryu now omg) is a much better model. Pay your dues (in dedicating time each weekend) and there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I like FFRK. Played a bit (not seriously) during jp launch, then was excited for NA version.

A few weeks after NA start, I did a 150 Mithrils/33 pulls for relics (all f2p)...
...got two 4*, rest was 3*. This was during a relic event.

Auto uninstall. Great game, but no.

duckroll

Got Bahamut's SB over 70% now. Should be able to hit 80% before he leaves tomorrow. Also got another Perfect Fate on TLS, which is encouraging. I think I'm starting to get the hang of what fucks me up in TLS. I tend to overplan during the final battle and waste a lot of movement time. If I just make bad movements which are really quick instead and let the enemies move into place instead, I save a lot of time.

Hopefully Mistwalker announces the June update by next week. :p

Vena

Got Bahamut's SB over 70% now. Should be able to hit 80% before he leaves tomorrow. Also got another Perfect Fate on TLS, which is encouraging. I think I'm starting to get the hang of what fucks me up in TLS. I tend to overplan during the final battle and waste a lot of movement time. If I just make bad movements which are really quick instead and let the enemies move into place instead, I save a lot of time.

Hopefully Mistwalker announces the June update by next week. :p

Can you "recap" Bahamut on his basic level to speed up his SB rate? Or is there some magic super-grind I am unaware of?

Visceir

Never saw the appeal in FFRK enough to give it a try but I checked out Dragon Blaze, game was literally just watching bars fill up and doing gacha pulls as you had close to no control over anything in the battle. I'm glad I ditched that game on the first day.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the chance was 2% / <% of skill> e.g. 20% skill means 2% / 0.2 = 10%, and that if multiple skills procced, it takes a single roll of the lowest value?

I was going by this guide, the wording seems weird there but you might be right "if multiple skills are used, the calculation is based on the highest skill boost chance" -- so the lowest skill proc chance?

Finalow

I wouldn't believe any DPS chart 100% and I'm sure the chart composer took some liberties with how he counted certain skills' damage.

A lambda version of an SS mage can still cover the most range in a reliable manner, has ~40 more matk naturally and has various ways to amplify their attack power (+50% matk with capsules) & the magic bomb that deals 3x power dmg.

Bahamut lambda meanwhile has its typical magic attacks that are inferior to SS mage skills and then the meteor attack that can deal 4x 2 power damage on a 2x2 monster if you're lucky, I guess.

tldr: lambda versions of SS mages are still best.

Another random video from 20-1 with Bahamut lambda
I wanted to believe in that chart because I have no SS mage ;m; - only the dragons.

but yes by looking at their lambda skills they don't even compare.

Visceir

I've got 2 Treasure Hunter characters and could help out with farming Mantle Helixes if anyone is interested. It would increase the drop rate to 50% chance with the current 2x item drop rate.

I wanted to believe in that chart because I have no SS mage ;m; - only the dragons.

but yes by looking at their lambda skills they don't even compare.

They are still one of the most powerful characters in game. Bahamut is the best fire mage right after Lewto, I have multiple other fire characters but I'd always choose Bahamut over those.

duckroll

Voted for Samatha, Zuzu, Bajanna, Piz'fer, and Pupru. I honestly think those would make the best figures, especially with some of their poses.

putermcgee

I just used energy to revive in battle for the first time, and I got totally screwed. It was against the 3rd Bahamut, and he was by himself with less than half HP remaining. I used the energy, he called for reinforcements, and then used meteor twice in one turn which killed everyone but two characters w/o any healing abilities. I got him down to less than a quarter HP and eventually died again. I thought, hell, I've come this far, I might as well revive once more and finish him off. A couple turns later, he used metoer not twice, but three times in one god damn turn. Such b.s.

Alright, time to start DNA recode on some of my characters.
What's the quickest way to level them to 80?

(I got destroyed in MZ6, never ever running that dungeon again)

Today's gonna be farm day first though, I need 15 Mantle Helix

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Alright, time to start DNA recode on some of my characters.
What's the quickest way to level them to 80?

(I got destroyed in MZ6, never ever running that dungeon again)

Today's gonna be farm day first though, I need 15 Mantle Helix
Chapter 20 grind as always. :(

Visceir

Voted for Piz'fer as that's the only one I would porbably actually buy, especially in nendoroid format.

Gatz, Yukken, Samatha, Zuzu and Amina would also make neat figures.

(it's a stleath way to decide which characters get lambda versions next, I bet!)

linkent

Fill stamina with energy for the first time.
To collect all Original Bahamut after I encoded mine.
6 hours left and need to sleep(think all three will come back together next week)
I wonder is it possible to use multiple Z Bahamut^ in the same team?

Voted Rikken, Samatha, Bajanna, Amina, Gatz.
Czekras 2nd form is kinda cool too. Like Berserker armor/dark soulish.

meow

I spent most of the Bahamut event farming the Ultra event and forgot I need a Suzaku. I don't think I'll get one in time.

Cool to see such a varied responses for the figures. I picked Olber, Samatha, Y'apkar, Harold and Alika.
With Y'apkar, you get two characters in one.
latest

Although I have a hard time imagining them creating a full fledge figure with that pose.

zulux21

anyone in here know how this game plays on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0? I just ordered one for cheap and am hoping my wife can play co op on it (it meets the requirements to play it but that doesn't let me know how well it will play)

also I've heard some games don't play nice on rooted devices (I plan to root this to get samsung bloatware off my note isn't rooted so I don't know if that will cause an issue) is this one of them?

anyone in here know how this game plays on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0? I just ordered one for cheap and am hoping my wife can play co op on it (it meets the requirements to play it but that doesn't let me know how well it will play)
I used to play on that exact tablet.
Had no problems whatsoever even in coop.
Maybe some tiny slowdowns when crazy aoe magic goes around, but nothing noticeable.

zulux21

I used to play on that exact tablet.
Had no problems whatsoever even in coop.
Maybe some tiny slowdowns when crazy aoe magic goes around, but nothing noticeable.

that is awesome to hear as I was mostly worried about this game and dragon blaze. This one lag would matter as making paths with lag would be stupid hard most likely.

dragon blaze I wasn't to worried about since it's all auto battle and thus if it lags so be it.

was your tablet rooted? (I know samsung does a lot of bloatware so I imagine rooting it should help performance quite a bit)

Aexact

I've got 2 Treasure Hunter characters and could help out with farming Mantle Helixes if anyone is interested. It would increase the drop rate to 50% chance with the current 2x item drop rate.

Can't co-op Chapter 30 though.

... Up to 9 Helixes! Also have like 30 Wisps of Jealousy, haha, the reinforcements infinitely drop them. Forgot that the boss doesn't do his missile attack if you hit it with ice. Nifty.
Thinking about this, maybe bringing my B team to farm Helixes wasn't the best idea rather then just quickly destroying everything with the maxed out one. Oh well, it makes it more interesting.

Falk

that puzzling face
If ch32 doesn't have a better option for grinding XP than 20 or 23-4 I swear I'm just going to stop grinding stuff till there's stuff worth grinding for.

I'm so sick of both.

Visceir

Was doing the "collect 80 items in Puppet Show" challenge, apparently you need to get all the 80 items in one run. Took me a couple of runs but I finally got the achievement.

I'm guessing getting 10 k coins in coin creeps 2 is rather impossible without characters that add extra coins? Or is it something you need to do with coin boost item and pray for the king to show up?

The "get 500 k exp in MZ3" might be doable with the exp x1.5 item.

Was doing the "collect 80 items in Puppet Show" challenge, apparently you need to get all the 80 items in one run. Took me a couple of runs but I finally got the achievement.

I'm guessing getting 10 k coins in coin creeps 2 is rather impossible without characters that add extra coins? Or is it something you need to do with coin boost item and pray for the king to show up?

The "get 500 k exp in MZ3" might be doable with the exp x1.5 item.
I go the other 2 easily with coin boost and exp booster ( do need king to pop up).

The 80 puppet thing is killing me.
I can't do it more perfect than this, but seems like there's not enough puppets. :O

Haha.
Aim for 5 helix because... RNG !

15 is too much, haha, I was no where close to that.
I did get my first character DNA recode done though, pretty happy about that

also I've heard some games don't play nice on rooted devices (I plan to root this to get samsung bloatware off my note isn't rooted so I don't know if that will cause an issue) is this one of them?

I played the game on my old Samsung Tablet, the game works, but it's sooo much better(/easier) when I run the game on my phone.

Was doing the "collect 80 items in Puppet Show" challenge, apparently you need to get all the 80 items in one run.
I was going to exclaim "HOW?!" but then I figured an SS mage and the three dragons would probably take care of it easily.

Also, Time Extension power-up gives you a couple of extra seconds, right?

Still nuts though.

My best was 62 or something, and that was just using archers with area 1 attacks and Levi/Baha.
Once I get Gugba's SB higher and Bahamut /\ to 80+ I should be able to clear that.

Visceir

Did another run and recorded it. I was definitely getting more than 1 item from puppets sometimes. Treasue Hunter might have helped with that.
omg Treasure Hunter...
That's why 1/3 puppet never drops stuff. I basically need it
I don't have any TH characters though.

This achievement will have to wait.

duckroll

Zael is up to 12% now. I'm probably just going to do one TLS run a day from now on, while leveling my leftover units in Metal Zones. Nothing much else to do until they release this month's update. Not sure if I want to pull anything during this +Pact event. Maybe I'll do one pull for fun later on, but I'm not going to waste a bunch of energy when it's not a 10-pull event.

Deadly

So since the start of the week my game wouldn't work anymore. It would give me a black screen after the initial load. I decided to reinstall and welp there goes all my data...... Guess I won't be playing anymore...

Top Bottom