• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

chrono01

I've been playing since the Canadian soft-launch. Aside from the S character I received with my initial Recruit, and after summoning a good...10 times [at least], not another S or a single SS.

Until I receive another S [or, preferably, an SS] with the earned/in-game Energy, I'm finding it difficult to reach for my wallet. :/

depths20XX

Just got Amina. Glad to have SS, but a little sore she isn't offense oriented; I feel I could really use another melee dude.

Slowly progressing through the series of quests for chapter 4, should I bother to level up the C grade beastman units? The mage looks like she might be helpful.

If they are magic users you can use them for stuff like pudding time, level them through metal parade. Otherwise I don't see a reason to rank up C grade characters.

I think that B through SS characters can all have their uses though. Perhaps even later on certain specialty low rank monsters will be useful for certain skills. (I'm only at chapter 10)

Edit: I take that back as the C grade characters are still useful to me and I've stopped using certain A and S rank characters in place of them. I still use the initial Knight and Archer for instance which are C rank.

If they are magic users you can use them for stuff like pudding time, level them through metal parade. Otherwise I don't see a reason to rank up C grade characters.

I think that B through SS characters can all have their uses though. Perhaps even later on certain specialty low rank monsters will be useful for certain skills. (I'm only at chapter 10)

Edit: I take that back as the C grade characters are still useful to me and I've stopped using certain A and S rank characters in place of them. I still use the initial Knight and Archer for instance which are C rank.

Well if the thing about not being able to get doubles once a character is maxed is true, theoretically you could level yourself out of RNG hell eventually. How long would that take though?

chrono01

So used my final 5 Energy...and finally got an SS Class! He was a healer, though [A'misandra the Nurse]. -_-

I will take it!

[I was really hoping for a Mage, though.]

Useless trivia, but does anyone care to take a stab at what the maximum number of people that can participate in a single round of battle is? By a single round I mean the total number of attacks that take place on a single turn. So if you have 2 pincers on a turn, they both count.

Note that I'm not talking about the total number of pincers you can make in a single turn, but rather the total number of *people* that can participate in a round. Multiple participations in a single round count multiple times.

The answer is surprisingly high, and also surprisingly non-intuitive. You can make any assumptions you want about how a particular battle plays out, as long as you start with a legal board position

Datschge

Useless trivia, but does anyone care to take a stab at what the maximum number of people that can participate in a single round of battle is?

18? Just a very simple formation:
Code:
oxo
oxo
oxo
Three initiated fights where all of the team is in line of sight and can join the attacks. The numbers of fights could be increased further, but that would be at the cost of having members not in line of sight and join each attack anymore, not sure if there's a way to still reach a higher total then.

Deitus

Useless trivia, but does anyone care to take a stab at what the maximum number of people that can participate in a single round of battle is? By a single round I mean the total number of attacks that take place on a single turn. So if you have 2 pincers on a turn, they both count.

Note that I'm not talking about the total number of pincers you can make in a single turn, but rather the total number of *people* that can participate in a round. Multiple participations in a single round count multiple times.

The answer is surprisingly high, and also surprisingly non-intuitive. You can make any assumptions you want about how a particular battle plays out, as long as you start with a legal board position

Best I could come up with is 28.

Code:
o 5 o
1 _ 3
o 6 o
2 _ 4
o 7 o

The o's are your units, and the numbers are enemies in the order they should be attacked (the _ represents a blank space if that wasn't obvious). This was the only arrangement I could find that allowed 7 unique pincer attacks, while still offering chances to chain attacks. By taking out the sides first, you allow the last 3 attacks to use all 6 units.

Of course there is no real way to control the order the attacks go in (aside from the first one), and you would basically never be able to pull off this specific formation in a real battle.

Hige

Of course there is no real way to control the order the attacks go in (aside from the first one), and you would basically never be able to pull off this specific formation in a real battle.
I read somewhere about the attack priority and it's something like:
1. The character you moved gets highest priority.
2. Horizontal pincer attacks (bottom to top, left to right).
3. Vertical pincer attacks (same order as above).

It seems to hold true from my experience.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I read somewhere about the attack priority and it's something like:

It seems to hold true from my experience.

Super cool, thanks.

Datschge

So with Deitus' setup the order would be like this (assuming the top left character was the moved one):
Code:
o 1 o
4 _ 2
o 3 o
7 _ 5
o 6 o
Am I getting this right? That would result in 25. That's not too far off the optimum surprisingly.

Visceir

Two more characters got added

Suoh Human SS Rank
1st Job: Swordsman. Suoh works as a sellsword in the dark underbelly of society.
suoh.png

Camellia Human SS Rank
1st Job: Swordsman. Camellia revels in all the pleasures of the flesh and has earned some highly unflattering nicknames.
camellia.png

None of the new characters really interest me, would love to see something other than sword users.

Edit: I did kinda wish the art would be more consistent

Hige

So with Deitus' setup the order would be like this (assuming the top left character was the moved one):
Code:
o 1 o
4 _ 2
o 3 o
7 _ 5
o 6 o
Am I getting this right? That would result in 25. That's not too far off the optimum surprisingly.
If top left is the moved character I think it's:
Code:
o 1 o
2 _ 7
o 4 o
5 _ 6
o 3 o

Almyn

Thanks to the 5 free energy today I rolled my first SS, Zerro :) I've also finally gathered up enough materials to open up some of the second Jobs, But then I realized I also need quite a bit of gold to actually unlock them. I regret spending it all on those crappy C and D rank characters now.

Azusa

Suoh Human SS Rank
1st Job: Swordsman. Suoh works as a sellsword in the dark underbelly of society.

Camellia Human SS Rank
1st Job: Swordsman. Camellia revels in all the pleasures of the flesh and has earned some highly unflattering nicknames.

None of the new characters really interest me, would love to see something other than sword users.

http://wiki.famitsu.com/terrabattle/キャラクター/スォウ
http://wiki.famitsu.com/terrabattle/キャラクター/ツバキ

They have different types of weapon. 1st job - sword, 2nd - bow and then spear.

Ducarmel

New characters added, so gave pact of truth a yolo and got Sh'berdan B class spear user.

I don't mind it but I wish I could get a bow class, I don't have anything better then C class.

When I get more cash I will try my luck on Pact of fellowship

Ducarmel

Don't, save the gold for job changes.
Spent a lot of gold the other day on jobs and I just want to do one pull.

I don't mind grinding for gold on the weekends, I am working on 3rd jobs now for my most used characters I got a long grind ahead of me for the materials.

i had like 12k saved up mis pressed the once button for the at once button and wasnt paying attention.

OH WELL! (
nothing fancy came from it
)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So where do I start getting upgrade mats for my job increases? I need 3 of the 3rd item on every job I have. I'm on chapter 9 now I think?

Visceir

So where do I start getting upgrade mats for my job increases? I need 3 of the 3rd item on every job I have. I'm on chapter 9 now I think?

Get through chapter 9 to unlock hunting zone 2 and do pudding time/tin parade/puppet show hunting zones to get the neccessary 3rd items.

Suoh Human SS Rank
suoh.png

Camellia Human SS Rank
camellia.png

\

ugh

i love his manga, but his character art does NOT flow well into what's already in.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Get through chapter 9 to unlock hunting zone 2 and do pudding time/tin parade/puppet show hunting zones to get the neccessary 3rd items.

Awesome thank you! My team is starting to feel the burn on the enemies that are level 29+, especially the fucking lava frog dudes.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
What Visceir said but you can also look at the wiki to see where those items can also drop in the campaign.

But the hunting zone will get you a lot on items overall.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What Visceir said but you can also look at the wiki to see where those items can also drop in the campaign.

But the hunting zone will get you a lot on items overall.

I thought I read somewhere that the wiki did not reflect the latest drops? Like someone made a comment that the drops were shuffled in a recent update?

Just downloaded when I read the OP. Good to have a version for Spain. Just beat the first chapter.

Reminds me of Doctor Who puzzle game, although on this one the units seems to be more important. The art and music is phenomenal.

The only thing I dont like is the time bar im seeing, but thats becuase im accostumed to not having it in Doctor Who and giving nightmares in love live.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just downloaded when I read the OP. Good to have a version for Spain. Just beat the first chapter.

Reminds me of Doctor Who puzzle game, although on this one the units seems to be more important. The art and music is phenomenal.

The only thing I dont like is the time bar im seeing, but thats becuase im accostumed to not having it in Doctor Who and giving nightmares in love live.

I'm surprised at how few times I've run out of stamina. It only happens when I farm the Metal Dungeon. Otherwise, I play 3-4 levels of the story, take a break to do other things, and come back with enough stam to do a few more levels. Unless you're planning to sit for 2+ hours and play, you shouldn't be TOO starved for stam.

Or maybe that's just me. :p

Visceir

I'm surprised at how few times I've run out of stamina. It only happens when I farm the Metal Dungeon. Otherwise, I play 3-4 levels of the story, take a break to do other things, and come back with enough stam to do a few more levels. Unless you're planning to sit for 2+ hours and play, you shouldn't be TOO starved for stam.

Or maybe that's just me. :p

Once you get to higher chapters they will start costing more stamina. When early on it costs 5 stamina to do a part of a chapter then later on, at chapter 15 for example, it's 12 stamina.

I got Amina to her second job
NIDZZjv.png

Ducarmel

Potential Story/gameplay spoilers

Chapter 12
I have not been paying too much to the story but I noticed Palpa got mentioned, will something special happen if I bring her along?

depths20XX

So it tells you how often a skill will proc but what determines whether it will miss or not?

Things like sleep and paralyze will activate frequently but also miss frequently.

So it tells you how often a skill will proc but what determines whether it will miss or not?

Things like sleep and paralyze will activate frequently but also miss frequently.

status effects are so low chance of succeeding i'm starting to think some monsters can only be hit by a specific type of status effect

Vhalyar

First time trying out the game, and I rolled Zafitte (S) and Kana (A). Worth keeping? I don't mind rerolling a couple of times since as far as I can see the battle system looks pretty fun.

Top Bottom