• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

Takuan

Is it actually illegal to make the RNG favor people who are paying? Is that the gatcha controversy? I thought it was a different issue.

Honestly, I didn't have to put money in, I was doing just fine. But I have only one spear guy, which makes me nervous.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bonus and I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with it. I don't spend real money on these types of games beyond a few bucks but feel those who should deserve a bit of a reward for their support.

These sorts of games always become a pay 2 win type deal, especially when it comes to any sort of competitive event with highly sought-after rewards. I don't expect this game to be any different, but perhaps they'll be more generous than others to people who don't have the time/money to spend. It's already more fun at its core than Fantasica, one of the two mobages that had me hooked for some time, so I'm fine with progressing slowly.

anaron

For those who are interested in business side of things...

I poked around a bit to see how well Terra Battle is doing. As you know, it has launched only in 7 countries thus far, so 650K+ downloads in 6 days is phenomenal, especially for a niche genre like RPG. Also, many countries such as China that generate big downloads are missing.

Money-wise things are looking very good too. It is pulling just under 20 000$ a day US alone, on iOS alone according to Think Gaming.

The big action is happening in Japan, of course. Terra Battle is in the top 10 to top 15 grossing daily on iOS. This would translate to around 100 000$ every day in US, but Japanese App Store is far more lucrative.

On top of this it is doing decent (though not spectacular) in Canada, Spain and UK.

As the game needs very little marketing thanks to word-of-mouth and Download Starter, Mistwalker gets to keep far bigger chunk of money after the 30% cut by Apple/Google, and of course there is no publisher to hog the developer money.

I would make a very rough estimate that they are clearing 200 000 US$ every day. Will be interesting to see how the title performs now that the App Store features end. I'd wager very well.

All data from App Annie and Think Gaming.

Good job, Mistwaker!
Fantastic (and encouraging) collection of information. Thanks for sharing :)

Deitus

Is it actually illegal to make the RNG favor people who are paying? Is that the gatcha controversy? I thought it was a different issue.

Honestly, I didn't have to put money in, I was doing just fine. But I have only one spear guy, which makes me nervous.

I'm not sure if there would be legal issues with that in the US or in Japan, but it probably wouldn't be worth their effort to implement (though if they implemented such a system, they might be legally required to disclose it). It would only increase revenue if it was a significant enough difference for players to be able to tell. If the drop rate was extremely low for free players, and they though that was normal, they would never dare sink money in, because they would expect it to remain low. If everyone knew that paid players were the only ones who had a decent chance of good drop rates, they would risk chasing away new and free players, before they got deep enough in to get hooked. I just don't think that would be worth it to them.

There wouldn't be much controversy if they created a separate currency that is extremely difficult to earn in game, except through real money transactions (and maybe give one or two freebies through normal gameplay to give people a taste), and have that be used for a separate roll that gives higher level characters at a higher rate. A lot of games with a gacha mechanic work this way. I hope they don't go this route though, because it just further increases the gap between paid and free players.

The legal issues with gacha are largely over something called complete gacha, or kompu gacha. Basically, it was where there were set items that could be earned in a gacha, and there was a significant bonus for collecting the complete set (which could only be obtained this way). The Japanese government made this illegal a couple of years ago, because kids were spending a fortune dropping money in the same RNG over and over again hoping for that last one or two drops to complete their set. Of course there is always controversy about anything that might be classified as gambling, especially in products ostensibly targeted as kids. But that is the only example I've heard of that's been outright banned.

Longsword

Fantastic (and encouraging) collection of information. Thanks for sharing :)

NP. This is what I like about mobile: the number of devices is so vast that other genres than just FPS can be truly successful (nothing wrong with FPS, I just like variety), and even more importantly, a developer like Mistwalker gets to keep the fruits of their hard work instead of the corporate suits of the publisher hogging it all and then closing the studio leaving the developers unemployed.

Can't stress enough how impressive it is how high on Top Grossing Terra Battle is. That is a herculean effort if you consider there are over 600 000 apps on iOS App Store alone.

le.phat

For those who are interested in business side of things...

I poked around a bit to see how well Terra Battle is doing. As you know, it has launched only in 7 countries thus far, so 650K+ downloads in 6 days is phenomenal, especially for a niche genre like RPG. Also, many countries such as China that generate big downloads are missing.

Money-wise things are looking very good too. It is pulling just under 20 000$ a day US alone, on iOS alone according to Think Gaming.

The big action is happening in Japan, of course. Terra Battle is in the top 10 to top 15 grossing daily on iOS. This would translate to around 100 000$ every day in US, but Japanese App Store is far more lucrative.

On top of this it is doing decent (though not spectacular) in Canada, Spain and UK.

As the game needs very little marketing thanks to word-of-mouth and Download Starter, Mistwalker gets to keep far bigger chunk of money after the 30% cut by Apple/Google, and of course there is no publisher to hog the developer money.

I would make a very rough estimate that they are clearing 200 000 US$ every day. Will be interesting to see how the title performs now that the App Store features end. I'd wager very well.

All data from App Annie and Think Gaming.

Good job, Mistwaker!

Mistwalker never returning to the console space confirmed. Kind of sucks.

Koozek

i can confirm from personal experience that paying money does not guarantee shit ;-;

EDIT:

uhhh my game is not starting. its stuck at a black screen after the initial load....

Oooh, no, that's what I had, too :/ I hope you wrote down your User ID/etc down for a data transfer after you reinstalled. If not, the other way is to backup your app data with Titanium or something like that, then de- and reinstall the game and lastly restore the app data with Titanium.

Oooh, no, that's what I had, too :/ I hope you wrote down your User ID/etc down for a data transfer after you reinstalled. If not, the other way is to backup your app data with Titanium or something like that, then de- and reinstall the game and lastly restore the app data with Titanium.

phew. just turned off phone and turned it back on and it fixed itself.

but i saw your message right after it happened and my heart sank. Luckily, nothing happened but i did write down all the info just to be safe,

th4tguy

I've downloaded the game like 20 times now over the past few days. Still can't seem to get any character higher than a B rating.

hiryu

Just started playing this today, I did two recruitments with the green energy I got. I pulled an SS and an A, is that good and should I keep them?

Visceir

......... no

Exactly what am I supposed to do?

When you start the game you always get 2 B rank characters. You complete the chapter 1(tutorial) and then get 5 energy and get to roll for a random new character. Then you go to the options, insert the dhth66nWXVCbjdTC promo code, get another 5 energy and roll for another new random character (those 2 characters can be anything from B rank to SS rank)

If you're not satisfied with those characters you start over again, do the tutorial and roll for new characters. I'd recommend aiming for a damage dealing (pincer attack) mage or some other high rank damage dealer with an active damage skill. Makes the game more fun.

Good luck~

Uthred

1stworldtbproblems and all but the xp gain for post level 30 SS characters is nuts, 100K xp seem barely enough for a level, my starter SS guys just hit 32 while my starter B & A's are around 37/38

1stworldtbproblems and all but the xp gain for post level 30 SS characters is nuts, 100K xp seem barely enough for a level, my starter SS guys just hit 32 while my starter B & A's are around 37/38

that's what is not very well known yet.

SS take a shitload of time to lvl. they SHOULD have better stats in the end, but i wonder who will stick with the game that long (consider each job max level is 65, so thats 3 trips to 65).

I figure at some point you have to maybe pray for for a second SS character to appear from using energy to forego the time requirement since i heard SSs level up 5 lvls instead of 1 like the other classes when duped.

AND ALSO TO MAKE SURE YOU ARENT IN A JOB THATS ALREADY MAXED WHEN YOU GET A DUPLICATE CHARACTER OTHERWISE ITS WASTED LEVELS I ASSUME

EDIT: has anyone gotten their bonus for the day? its well past time timer reset @ 5 pm pst :/

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Is there anything good from the puppet show? I feel like my team is going to be over leveled for the recommended levels soon.

anaron

5gjZNWE.jpg

th4tguy

When you start the game you always get 2 B rank characters. You complete the chapter 1(tutorial) and then get 5 energy and get to roll for a random new character. Then you go to the options, insert the dhth66nWXVCbjdTC promo code, get another 5 energy and roll for another new random character (those 2 characters can be anything from B rank to SS rank)

If you're not satisfied with those characters you start over again, do the tutorial and roll for new characters. I'd recommend aiming for a damage dealing (pincer attack) mage or some other high rank damage dealer with an active damage skill. Makes the game more fun.

Good luck~

Thank you. That helps so much.

Oh gosh having a character that has the levitation skill is so damn useful to me right now. These fucking frogs were getting on my nerves.

zulux21

this could actually result in the opposite... instead of them being stuck in mobile games without funding they will be able to use their mobile game to fund console games they want to make.

Saprol

What does petrification or confusion do to enemies? I've rolled two remedy characters now and I have no idea if they're useful outside of curing their specific ailment.

meow

After getting a mage with a pincer area ability, so OP. Especially when you get enemies in a line and it pincers (whatever) down the whole line.

putermcgee

Above level 20 no one gets experience in the metal zone if you are talking about that. Otherwise it just takes muuuch longer above level 20 to level, but you still should see progress in the level up screen.
Is that for every metal zone, or just zone 1? I haven't opened zone 2 yet, but I had thought that since the recommended level for zone 1 is 1-19, it would make sense that characters above that wouldn't benefit from going there.

I paid for some energy and immediately got an SS.
I'm glad they blessed the RNG for me when I used 5 dollars.
Flagged for what? Your account is naturally flagged as "payer" once you spend money, thats common practice for any F2P game.
That's what I meant - I didn't realize they did that.
So as a "payer", are they more lenient with goodies when paying for the gacha?
Probably not. There is no evidence to suggest that. Its certainly possible that some companies do that, but from my insight to several F2P games on the development side, I dont personally know any company doing that. This could easily be measured and backfire heavily, so I am sure companies are sufficiently wary of those practices.

And my experiences with playing Terra Battle: My GF hasnt paid anything yet and she was even more lucky with her draws than I was. It really just seems like random luck.
There are some interesting articles on Gamasutra about this type of thing, mostly related to Candy Crush Saga, where players who pay once are more likely to pay again. And again. So if the RNG was modified for paying customers in Terra Battle, which I'd doubt, it could just as easily be in a way that makes it less generous.

As for why anyone rolls a bunch of SS or B characters, that's what the R in RNG is all about.

Veldin

So far 15 of my (free) energy has given duplicate recruits. Thanks for that Terra battle.

Feels like I'm playing the game on Hard mode compared to these folks with their teams of S and SS characters.

Neol

I too pulled an SS today. My third one so far.

A bit bummed out considering I already have 4 other spear users >_>

Hmm... is it bad that I'm on Chapter 10 and have yet to unlock the 2nd job class for my main characters?

Its not too bad although you might be missing out on some extra skills that could be very useful in the long run. Also the stats for the 2nd job are usually higher than 1st job. With the 3rd job usually having the best stats.

AwShucks

Had 10 energy. Did a double recruit. Got Kana twice in a row. Bummer.

Edit: if seeing right, she heals status effects and not health? So I want a healer I should stick with Kuscah?

Marvelous

Its not too bad although you might be missing out on some extra skills that could be very useful in the long run. Also the stats for the 2nd job are usually higher than 1st job. With the 3rd job usually having the best stats.

Guess I'll focus on unlocking the 2nd job class, then. Story mode can wait for a while.

Takuan

Just got Amina. Glad to have SS, but a little sore she isn't offense oriented; I feel I could really use another melee dude.

Slowly progressing through the series of quests for chapter 4, should I bother to level up the C grade beastman units? The mage looks like she might be helpful.

Top Bottom