• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

Got my first SS Character today. About how rare are they?
It's odd, I have B rank character called Zezazone or something (dark lancer) and he's my favorite character.

Also, question. My first character (Bahl) stopped gaining experience very fast. She now seems to take forever to level (level 20) while others are zipping fast, or she doesn't get any exp at all. Is EXP no longer shared uniformly across everyone?

What u mean by rage quiting do you keep the stamina?

You can quit the app and it will reload at the beginning of the battle round. So you can keep retrying this way.

So if it's like round 3/5 and I screwed up trying to corral the runners I can just quit the app and restart it and it will put me to the beginning of 3/5 to try again.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I had a boss enemy in puppet show, but didn't kill it in time. What did I miss out on? D:
Has happened only once in about 10 tries.

3 materials

Got my first SS Character today. About how rare are they?
It's odd, I have B rank character called Zezazone or something (dark lancer) and he's my favorite character.

Also, question. My first character (Bahl) stopped gaining experience very fast. She now seems to take forever to level (level 20) while others are zipping fast, or she doesn't get any exp at all. Is EXP no longer shared uniformly across everyone?

Above level 20 no one gets experience in the metal zone if you are talking about that. Otherwise it just takes muuuch longer above level 20 to level, but you still should see progress in the level up screen.

Reposting for one of the pros here for the new page:
Does anyone know whether the % skill raise (blue B) is calculated as a percentage or as an added percentage?

Meaning if a skill has a 30% chance to trigger and your character has 50% skill raise, does it trigger 80% of the time or 45%?

I really want to know how that is calculated, anyone?

Visceir

I am rolling with 2 healer mages (one for each line) and an attack AOE mage, but Amimari is perfectly fine if you just want to replace Kuscah.

And dont use coins for recruitment, then the coins will eventually save up.

I'm rolling with 2 healers as well. When someone was talking about "mages" I always thought of the ones that actually deal AoE spell damage. The ones that deal status effects are kinda useless.

I finally made it to the stage where you can supposedly farm Orichalcum, the boss is easy enough but I'm seriously starving for stamina. Current plan is to farm atleast 6 Orichalcum so I can advance Piz'fer and Amina to their second job. Then go farm for Piz'fer's weapon and get him to third job as well.

Deitus

I really want to know how that is calculated, anyone?

I'm really curious about this myself. The highest skill bonus I have is about 8%, so it would be difficult to do any testing on it without hundreds of data points (and I'm unlikely to spend the time to do that). If I had someone with 25-30% it would be a lot easier to see the results.

I also wonder if there's a cap for the % increase.

I imagine eventually the Wiki will be updated to have this information. With thousands of people playing this game, someone is bound to do the testing required to determine this (or hack the game files to see how the math is done). But since the game just came out, I'm not surprised this isn't common knowledge yet.

Downloaded on all my Android devices just to support. Gotta get dat 2M!!

I just tried this game and yeah, it takes a lot more thinking than Puzzle and Dragons did. I'll have to wait until I get some more free time.

Deitus

Wasted all my gold on bad rolls. Is the best way to get gold just playing the story mode?

You know the special area that cycles out every day (tin zone, pudding zone, etc.), usually giving a higher chance of dropping items? On certain days it changes to a coin battle, which is probably your most efficient way to earn coins if you need to stock up.

But in general (on days that isn't available), pushing through the story is probably your best bet.

Yaari

You know the special area that cycles out every day (tin zone, pudding zone, etc.), usually giving a higher chance of dropping items? On certain days it changes to a coin battle, which is probably your most efficient way to earn coins if you need to stock up.

But in general (on days that isn't available), pushing through the story is probably your best bet.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that!

For a mobile game, this is pretty good. It's actually really enjoyable. The fact I'm even playing it speaks a lot about it as I absolutely hate playing on my phone. Great job, Mistwalker! That said, I'd rather play this on my Vita than on my phone. LOL

Now, here's a question I might as well ask. I somehow got so lucky to get two SS characters (Jennish and RIkken) at the beginning that I didn't need to reroll. Clearly I wouldn't want to mess that up. So how do I actually save my game prior to recruiting a new character in the Tavern? I'm playing on a non-rooted Android phone. Also, are there only certain parts of the game where I can save my game or can it be done at any point?

Thanks!

Visceir

Now, here's a question I might as well ask. I somehow got so lucky to get two SS characters (Jennish and RIkken) at the beginning that I didn't need to reroll. Clearly I wouldn't want to mess that up. So how do I actually save my game prior to recruiting a new character in the Tavern? I'm playing on a non-rooted Android phone. Also, are there only certain parts of the game where I can save my game or can it be done at any point?

Thanks!

It's all server based and you can't save. But as someone mentioned above, it's smart to write down your account ID and set a password, so you can recover it in case something should happen.

I see. Thanks for the response! I really intend to play this without IAP so I guess I really have to be patient with that. If Mistwalker is going to develop a console version of this game, I hope it'd be a full version of it, playable offline and without microtransactions. But maybe that's just me. LOL

Ryuukan

I see. Thanks for the response! I really intend to play this without IAP so I guess I really have to be patient with that. If Mistwalker is going to develop a console version of this game, I hope it'd be a full version of it, playable offline and without microtransactions. But maybe that's just me. LOL

So you can cheat the system by messing with your console's time and basically finish everything in 1 day?

Yeah...sounds fun...

Erm, just because I want no IAP means I intend to cheat? Wow. What if I only want to be able to play the game when I have no internet access, like I usually do when I'm on the road?

Started last night while fighting off sleep and did the first tutorial section. Man... why did I sit on this game for a week without playing it! Caught my interest right away, dat music is great too.

Could not wake up soon enough this morning

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Erm, just because I want no IAP means I intend to cheat? Wow. What if I only want to be able to play the game when I have no internet access, like I usually do when I'm on the road?

Yeah, I'm with you.

I have a 2+ hour flight next week that I was hoping to be able to play this during. Not gonna be the case, though. :\

Anyone know how much stamina it takes for the end game chapters?
It's starting to scale up heavily for me and it really sucks to have to wait half a day to do chapters and level up.

KTallguy

Banned
I paid for some energy and immediately got an SS.

I'm glad they blessed the RNG for me when I used 5 dollars.

That's probably all the money I'll ever use, but I spent a good number of hours on the game, so I'm happy to reward the devs!

anaron

That's probably all the money I'll ever use, but I spent a good number of hours on the game, so I'm happy to reward the devs!
Yeah I'm gonna do the same at some point. Game is so well designed and 'full' that it almost feels wrong not to give them something for it.

Zorbane

Neo Member
Just got a gold contract S character, Alika. She any good?

Her stats seem pretty well balanced between attack and magic attack (skills)

http://www.terrabattlex.com/characters/alika

She has the nice treasure hunter skill late game too when you need gold ;)

Does anyone know if a character can activate more than one skill at once? Don't think I saw it happen once.

Yes it can check this out!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqYfVS9oJB0

zulux21

Does anyone know if a character can activate more than one skill at once? Don't think I saw it happen once.

I am pretty sure they can as I am pretty sure my mage cast both his fire move and his add a anti ice capsule to the board at the same time.

zulux21

o_o...omg

That's good to know. Just 3rd jobbed Burbaba and would regret it if he couldn't use other weapon skills.

to be fair that was an attack skill and a support skill so there might be limitations for two attack skills from the same character at the same time...

I could also be mistaken and he just did his moves across two different attacks as since his fire move is really strong I try to line him up with as many attacks as possible. Thus I am not 100%, but I am like 85% that he did them both at the same time in the same attack. It's not likely to happen for me though with his skills like this
Fire, Pincer Area, 50%
Lv.15+: Anti-Ice Capsule, Chain, 30%

as they are both not super often triggers.

Deitus

to be fair that was an attack skill and a support skill so there might be limitations for two attack skills from the same character at the same time...

No, you can definitely use multiple attack skills at the same time. My starting archer is only on her second job with 4 skills equipped, but when I line up with a power orb she uses all 4 skills at once (a normal attack skill, an area attack skill, and 2 support abilities). Even when I don't have a power orb, she still sometimes uses both attack skills at once.

Longsword

For those who are interested in business side of things...

I poked around a bit to see how well Terra Battle is doing. As you know, it has launched only in 7 countries thus far, so 650K+ downloads in 6 days is phenomenal, especially for a niche genre like RPG. Also, many countries such as China that generate big downloads are missing.

Money-wise things are looking very good too. It is pulling just under 20 000$ a day US alone, on iOS alone according to Think Gaming.

The big action is happening in Japan, of course. Terra Battle is in the top 10 to top 15 grossing daily on iOS. This would translate to around 100 000$ every day in US, but Japanese App Store is far more lucrative.

On top of this it is doing decent (though not spectacular) in Canada, Spain and UK.

As the game needs very little marketing thanks to word-of-mouth and Download Starter, Mistwalker gets to keep far bigger chunk of money after the 30% cut by Apple/Google, and of course there is no publisher to hog the developer money.

I would make a very rough estimate that they are clearing 200 000 US$ every day. Will be interesting to see how the title performs now that the App Store features end. I'd wager very well.

All data from App Annie and Think Gaming.

Good job, Mistwaker!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I'm always wary about this. Like, I wonder if they can flag your account after you spend money...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'm always wary about this. Like, I wonder if they can flag your account after you spend money...

Flagged for what? Your account is naturally flagged as "payer" once you spend money, thats common practice for any F2P game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Flagged for what? Your account is naturally flagged as "payer" once you spend money, thats common practice for any F2P game.

That's what I meant - I didn't realize they did that.

So as a "payer", are they more lenient with goodies when paying for the gacha?

Toma

That's what I meant - I didn't realize they did that.

So as a "payer", are they more lenient with goodies when paying for the gacha?

Probably not. There is no evidence to suggest that. Its certainly possible that some companies do that, but from my insight to several F2P games on the development side, I dont personally know any company doing that. This could easily be measured and backfire heavily, so I am sure companies are sufficiently wary of those practices.

And my experiences with playing Terra Battle: My GF hasnt paid anything yet and she was even more lucky with her draws than I was. It really just seems like random luck.

Longsword

Probably not. There is no evidence to suggest that. My GF hasnt paid anything yet and she was even more lucky with her draws than I was. Its really just random luck.

Yup. Players regularly gather data on the probablities of the games they play, and doing shady stuff like this would be very dangerous to a developer like Sakaguchi who has a reputation to uphold. I find it very unlikely to be the case.

zulux21

Probably not. There is no evidence to suggest that. Its certainly possible that some companies do that, but from my insight to several F2P games on the development side, I dont personally know any company doing that. This could easily be measured and backfire heavily, so I am sure companies are sufficiently wary of those practices.

And my experiences with playing Terra Battle: My GF hasnt paid anything yet and she was even more lucky with her draws than I was. Its really just random luck.

yup, given how many people play the game, and how many people take the time to try to find odds for everything... if there was a clear cut difference between the two it would be known rather quickly and would be seen as a huge cash grab and sour a number of people on the game.

of course games designed to be cash grabs in general can still do fine so it doesn't mean that it can't be done, but I really don't see this game doing it as it's one of the freer free to play games that uses an energy system that I have played.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Cool - thanks for the insight.

I was a whale when I played PAD, haha. So I am avoiding spending money on this for at least a little while. The game play is so original that I may at least poop them some monies to support them at some point. I just wish you didn't need to be on a network to play!

Zorbane

Neo Member
For those who are interested in business side of things...

I poked around a bit to see how well Terra Battle is doing. As you know, it has launched only in 7 countries thus far, so 650K+ downloads in 6 days is phenomenal, especially for a niche genre like RPG. Also, many countries such as China that generate big downloads are missing.

Money-wise things are looking very good too. It is pulling just under 20 000$ a day US alone, on iOS alone according to Think Gaming.

The big action is happening in Japan, of course. Terra Battle is in the top 10 to top 15 grossing daily on iOS. This would translate to around 100 000$ every day in US, but Japanese App Store is far more lucrative.

On top of this it is doing decent (though not spectacular) in Canada, Spain and UK.

As the game needs very little marketing thanks to word-of-mouth and Download Starter, Mistwalker gets to keep far bigger chunk of money after the 30% cut by Apple/Google, and of course there is no publisher to hog the developer money.

I would make a very rough estimate that they are clearing 200 000 US$ every day. Will be interesting to see how the title performs now that the App Store features end. I'd wager very well.

All data from App Annie and Think Gaming.

Good job, Mistwaker!

As much as I like how it started, I feel like their momentum may slow soon if they don't do anything. I haven't seen major websites talk about Terra Battle at all since release day.

Toma

This game is addicting. I wish the energy given and rng was better for s or ss characters though.

Tbh, the game is already VERY generous, even considering some of you guys are very unlucky so far.

zulux21

Tbh, the game is already VERY generous, even considering some of you guys are very unlucky so far.

that is my thoughts as well, they give out plenty of energy, I mean not even PAD gives you 5 energy every 8 days and that was previously one of the more generous f2p games I had played with a system like this.

as for the S and SS ranks, I personally would expect the rates to be something like this
5% SS
10% S
35% A
50% B

I am not sure what the actual rates for this game are, but they don't seem to really be worse than that.

Toma

that is my thoughts as well, they give out plenty of energy, I mean not even PAD gives you 5 energy every 8 days and that was previously one of the more generous f2p games I had played with a system like this.

as for the S and SS ranks, I personally would expect the rates to be something like this
5% SS
10% S
35% A
50% B

I am not sure what the actual rates for this game are, but they don't seem to really be worse than that.

Anecdotal evidence, but my GF has 2 SS out of 4 draws, and I got 3 SS out of 10.
Some people are really, really unlucky, but the odds are incredibly generous. I dont know any F2P game that allows you access to the best stuff in a random draw with a 1/4 chance.

Oh and long time no see Zulux :) Cool to see you again.

Visceir

Doing the story chapter missions makes the game stamina system bearable as you get full stamina once you complete a chapter but farming feels a bit hopeless. I get 5 tries with full stamina and then it'll take an hour or more for the next try.

I guess that's where the F2P issues start to show.

I guess tomorrow we're gonna get to run pudding time again to get some rare, much needed, ores.

Longsword

As much as I like how it started, I feel like their momentum may slow soon if they don't do anything. I haven't seen major websites talk about Terra Battle at all since release day.

Situation might be different in Japan. This is where vast majority of the revenue is coming from. Perhaps one of our members could enlighten us?

Either way, I will keep my eye on the analytics, to see how the title shapes up in the coming weeks.

zulux21

Anecdotal evidence, but my GF has 2 SS out of 4 draws, and I got 3 SS out of 10.
Some people are really, really unlucky, but the odds are incredibly generous. I dont know any F2P game that allows you access to the best stuff in a random draw with a 1/4 chance.

Oh and long time no see Zulux :) Cool to see you again.
between my account and my wife's rerolls we have gotten something like
1 SS
1 S
2 A
8 B

it's hard to gauge the actual percents, I was just saying that is what I would expect in general from a system like that, it seems to be better than that.

and yeah it's nice to see ya again :p
Doing the story chapter missions makes the game stamina system bearable as you get full stamina once you complete a chapter but farming feels a bit hopeless. I get 5 tries with full stamina and then it'll take an hour or more for the next try.

I guess that's where the F2P issues start to show.

I guess tomorrow we're gonna get to run pudding time again to get some rare, much needed, ores.

All you have to do is follow the Nintendo rules of gaming.
Make sure you play in a brightly lit room.
after 30 minutes take a break.
don't play more than 2 hours in a day.

Oh wii, how I don't miss you bitching at me that I am playing to much :p

Zorbane

Neo Member
Situation might be different in Japan. This is where vast majority of the revenue is coming from. Perhaps one of our members could enlighten us?

Either way, I will keep my eye on the analytics, to see how the title shapes up in the coming weeks.

I'd be extremely curious too! Keep us updated

thefro

A few of the download starter goals are newsworthy, like Amano and Matsuno working on game content once they reach 1.5 million downloads, so I think they'll be fine.

KTallguy

Banned
Is it actually illegal to make the RNG favor people who are paying? Is that the gatcha controversy? I thought it was a different issue.

Honestly, I didn't have to put money in, I was doing just fine. But I have only one spear guy, which makes me nervous.

Is it actually illegal to make the RNG favor people who are paying? Is that the gatcha controversy? I thought it was a different issue.

Honestly, I didn't have to put money in, I was doing just fine. But I have only one spear guy, which makes me nervous.

i can confirm from personal experience that paying money does not guarantee shit ;-;

EDIT:

uhhh my game is not starting. its stuck at a black screen after the initial load....

Top Bottom