• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

Mistwalker is just 9 people, so this game should see them richly rewarded for their hard work.

See, this is the biggest thing that I feel like folks are forgetting just on a general level. Mistwalker at its core is a very tiny operation, so seeing any kind of big success via Terra Battle is kind of a huge deal.

And ultimately, as weird as the whole download starter idea seemed at first, I think it's paying off quite nicely for them.

Zorbane

Neo Member
Wow that's amazing news. I just hope they keep the content flowing!

It is still weird they haven't released it to other countries yet...

anaron

As promised, I have been keeping my eye on Terra Battle now that the App Store features which have driven many people to the game have ended. All analysis below is mine, and is based on App Annie rankings, Think Gaming data, and my own experiences in the industry.

In US the downloads have fallen, but not dramatically, and the game is still making around 15 000$ every day in US alone, on iOS alone.

On Japanese App Store things are even better -Terra battle is staying in Top Grossing 10-20, meaning very significant revenenue every day. As Japanese App Store is the most lucrative in the world, this should translate to around 100 000$ to 200 000$ US each day in Japan alone, on iOS alone.

On Google play things are even better -the downloads are actually increasing, which means that the word of mouth is spreading. Terra Battle has entered Top 25 Gtrossing in Japan, and is in the Top 50 Grossing in France, Canada and Spain.

Mistwalker also still has all the rest of the world that they can release the game into (they are only out in 7 countries after all), making it very easy in my opinion to get to the 2 million downloads, and a chance to gain very signigicant revenue from countries like of China and South Korea. While many other countries will not generate as much revenue, they will still act as the community for the upcoming Multi-Player modes.

Taking into account that Mistwalker is advertizing very little, they only need to pay the platform holders fee of 30% off the revenue they generate. While accurate estimates are very difficult, I would say I would be surprised if Mistwalker did not bank around 200 000$ each and every day even after Apple feature have ended, thanks to their rise on the Google Play.

This all speaks very well about the future of such high quality games on mobile, and an opportunity for great game developers to shake ther yoke of the publishers and actually get the revenue their creative work generated themselves. Mistwalker is just 9 people, so this game should see them richly rewarded for their hard work. I see other skilled desginers following on Sakaguchi's footsteps.

I will post an update in a week or so.
zYEGHwX.jpg

Thanks again, longsword!

Longsword

Wow that's amazing news. I just hope they keep the content flowing!

It is still weird they haven't released it to other countries yet...

This I believe is driven by financials as well as the difficulty of localizing for Korea and China, Russian et all.

The truth is many App Stores generate very little revenue, so releasing in, say, Russia may net a lot of downloads, it does not help Mistwalker too much. The bulk of their financial success will come (as it always comes in mobile) mainly from US, Japan, Korea, large European countries and China.

Also, they would have possibly hit all of the Download Starter goals in a day or two, negating the great momentum the DL starter gives us.

I want their work to be rewarded but not excessively so. The character designs rely too much on fanservice, for one. :\

Well, you should advance some characters, those exposed thighs aren't going to replace themselves.
I would say a good deal of the cast get some cybernetic enhancements for a 3rd job. There are exceptions to that, like Sheena pretty much is still in a bikini and Bahl just get's a fancier sword. Reading the flavor text for Amina and hinted in other stories makes it seem people are going around handing out enhancements for the characters replacing body parts and making them cyborgs. Kind of irrelevant to the post I'm quoting but I think it's interesting what happens in a lot of 3rd jobs.

anaron

A lot of female characters skimpy designs irritate me too. Big step back from Fujisaka's fantastic Last Story work in that regard

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
A lot of female characters skimpy designs irritate me too. Big step back from Fujisaka's fantastic Last Story work in that regard
I'm fine with female character being sexy but when you can see their butt when they face you...Heh.

The RNG gods have finally blessed me with my first S rank character and one that's useful in my current line-up with Purpopré a shadow caster.

Just need get an archer and/or a ice magic caster and I'm good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't mind the art - yeah, it's sexualized, but it's at least done in a more stylized way versus loli art (which I don't mind in Disgaea, either).

It's all personal preference though, haha.

Hige

13-8 is a big difficulty spike all of a sudden. It probably doesn't help I keep losing a unit before getting to the boss. >_>

putermcgee

you guys are scaring me. im at ch 7 and my highest is lv 22. i'm thinking i screwed up somewhere and didn't grind or something.
Not sure how long you've been playing, but I've got 5 logins and I'm at the end of chapter 6. I've definitely done some grinding in the metal zone to build up more than just my core team, but I haven't replayed any story levels yet. 14 of my characters are over level 20, but none are higher than 22.

EDIT: I underestimated how much of a pushover the final boss in chapter 6 would be, and ended up taking it out in maybe 3 turns. Now I do have a character at level 23, but most are 20-22 at the beginning of chapter 7.

Just got an SS character! And only been playing some hours.
How easy is to get this types? all my rest are B. I used the lightining bolts, I suppose those are rare.

BTW Do i need to buy frequently character with gold in the tavern? My team is still small.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
you guys are scaring me. im at ch 7 and my highest is lv 22. i'm thinking i screwed up somewhere and didn't grind or something.

I was around 20-24, I beat it pretty easily. Just make sure you have characters with attacks in the high 80s to 90s, and don't line up your guys vertically. Obviously, include your healer in your chains whenever possible. Also a spellcaster with levitation helps (I have one, but I forgot to bring her into battle, lol).

Just got an SS character! And only been playing some hours.
How easy is to get this types? all my rest are B. I used the lightining bolts, I suppose those are rare.

BTW Do i need to buy frequently character with gold in the tavern? My team is still small.
SS are the rarest. Don't bother wasting your gold in the tavern. You can only get characters above B using lightning bolts. You can use this code to get 5 more bolts btw:

Gift code is out on Twitter: dhth66nWXVCbjdTC

OP really needs to be updated, seriously...

I was around 20-24, I beat it pretty easily. Just make sure you have characters with attacks in the high 80s to 90s, and don't line up your guys vertically. Obviously, include your healer in your chains whenever possible. Also a spellcaster with levitation helps (I have one, but I forgot to bring her into battle, lol).

SS are the rarest. Don't bother wasting your gold in the tavern. You can only get characters above B using lightning bolts. You can use this code to get 5 more bolts btw:

OP really needs to be updated, seriously...

Oh so I only need to buy characters using bolts then and use the gold to get better jobs.
Thanks for the tips, i really needed them. :)
ANd thanks for the code also!

One more thing, so bolts only are for buying new characters no? also, is there a way to get bolts effciently in this game?
Also what are the objects form chest for.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Oh so I only need to buy characters using bolts then and use the gold to get better jobs.
Thanks for the tips, i really needed them. :)
ANd thanks for the code also!

One more thing, so bolts only are for buying new characters no? also, is there a way to get bolts effciently in this game?
Also what are the objects form chest for.

Bolts revive you when your party is wiped out, or refills your stamina completely. Those each cost one bolt. You get a bolt (or sometimes two?) for every chapter you finish. You sometimes get one for logging in on consecutive days.

Objects from chests are job upgrade material.

Bolts revive you when your party is wiped out, or refills your stamina completely. Those each cost one bolt. You get a bolt (or sometimes two?) for every chapter you finish. You sometimes get one for logging in on consecutive days.

Objects from chests are job upgrade material.

Oh so bolts are not easily gotten if not paying with real money I assume. Or is the consecutive days gifst forever, even if they are slow to get like that?

You get them every day for the first 10 days, then it's a once a month thing I think.

Hope I can get a good team build in 10 days then, becuase holy shit the game is only giving me healers. I have 3 healers in my team of six, but the archer and spear man are characters without names so I suppose they have shitty stats. I ony got a sowrdswomman the game gave at the start and that one has name, its my strongest characters power wise.
Im in chapter 3 and the games is turning difficult, im not dying, but im near dying the majority of the time and bosses can kick my butt.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Hope I can get a good team build in 10 days then, becuase holy shit the game is only giving me healers. I have 3 healers in my team of six, but the archer and spear man are characters without names so I suppose they have shitty stats. I ony got a sowrdswomman the game gave at the start and that one has name, its my strongest characters power wise.
Im in chapter 3 and the games is turning difficult, im not dying, but im near dying the majority of the time and bosses can kick my butt.

You don't really need SS characters or whatever, people have gotten through the story with just B-grade characters. They come with better stats but they're much harder to level up. If you haven't gotten any monster recruits yet, try the tavern if all else fails.

You get 5 more every 8 days with consec logins.

Neat. Didn't know that.

Uthred

Most people might already know this, but it could be handy for new players

What currencies does the game have?

Coins - Coins are Terra Battle's equivalent to gold. They are purely an in-game currency. You use them to pay for job changes for your characters and to use the Pact of Friendship. You earn them from login rewards and completing story missions and the Coin Creeps weekend only Hunting Grounds.

Energy - Energy (represented by lightning bolts in the UI) is Terra Battle's "cash" currency. Energy is used for the Pact of Truth and to continue if all your party members are dead. You earn (1) energy the first time you complete a chapter, from login rewards (regularly for the first 10 days and then only for milestones after that), from consecutive logins (5 every 8 days), from special rewards (such as the current bonus code dhth66nWXVCbjdTC) and of course by purchasing it from the in-game store. I'd strongly advise only using this for the Pact of Truth, using it for revives is almost never worth it.

How do I recruit characters/monsters?

There are four ways to recruit new characters and monsters

1. Via the story - You will receive a number of characters via storyline events. At the start you will receive either Grace (B class Bow user) or Bahl (B class Sword user). You will also receive Kuscah (B class Healer), though you will only receive him till 03/11/14 (or 11/03/14 if you prefer). During the tutorial you will receive a C class spear user and a C class Bow or Sword user depending on your starter. During the course of the story you will also receive a
    B class llightning aspected Sword user, and a S class remedy user.
    (super mild spoilers)
  2. Dungeon drops - When you defeat a monster, including boss monsters, there is a chance you will be able to recruit them. Most monsters are C and D class but boss monsters tend to be B class and will work well as stand in's for weapons or elements you may be missing.
  3. Pact of Fellowship - This is the coin "gacha". Each pull costs 3000 coins. The units available increase as you progress through the story. Only monsters are recruitable (?) and its heavily weighted towards C and D class monsters with only a slim chance of A and B class monsters. There is also an even slimmer chance of getting one of the three SS character units currently available in the Pact of Fellowship. If you try and recruit a unit you already own that unit will gain one level and 5% Skill Boost. if you reach 100% skill with that unit then you can no longer draw it from the pact.
  4. Pact of Truth - This is the energy or real money "gacha". Each pull costs five energy. The units available are all character units ranging from B to SS class. If you get a duplicate S or SS class unit your current unit gains five levels and a 10% skill boost.

Whats this class thing?

Units in the games are ranked according to their class, in descending order the classes are SS,S,A,B,C,D. Higher classes (possibly) have better stats and skills but level significantly slower.

What are jobs?

Each characer (i.e. "named" B class or better) unit has three different jobs. Jobs provide different skills, different weapon attributes and better stats. You change jobs via the tavern. Each job change requires a number of items (which drop from monsters in normal dungeons and the Hunting grounds) as well as a payment in coins (raning from 8000-15000). Each job has its own level, so for example, if you change your level 30 character to his second job he will be level 1 in this job.

What do we mean by re-rolling?

The developers have said that all thirty one chapters are completeable with B class or better units so there is no strict need to re-roll. However SS units do provide an initial boost and may be "required" down the line, especially for those choosing not to spend any money on the game.

Re-rolling consists of completing the tutorial, the first five missions, and then using the five energy you receive to use the Pact of Truth. At the moment you can also redeem the twitter code listed above for a further five energy allowing you to use the Pact of Truth twice. It's recommended to try and get at least one SS unit (Some possibly useless anecdotal evidence, it took me ~40 rerolls on my tablet account to get double SS and the same again on my phone account).

A rough tier list of SS units is:

SS Mages

Piz'fer / Zerro / Lewto / Jennish - Powerful elemental AOE's make them extremely useful

Other SS (in order)

Koko (Capules)
Czekras (Action delay)
Samatha
Gaiga

Yukken (Aoe, slightly more versatile than her sister)
Rikken

Gugba (good but a "late bloomer")
Olber (tanky McTank)

Healers are a little less needed due to a "free" Kuscah

Amina / Amimari / A'Misandra

Any SS is good but I'd strongly suggest trying for a direct damage one, the healers are good but make starting fights a bit boring and long.

Special Zones

There are two special types of dungeon in the game, Metal Zones and Hunting grounds. Metal Zones are used to level up your characters and Hunting Grounds are used to obtain materials for job changes.

Each Metal Zone has a level limit, once you pass it you will no longer receive xp. Its recommended that as soon as you unlock the metal zone you try and level your main party to this limit. Each Metal Zone is open four times a day. One out of those four periods generates a Metal King Zone, where a boss mob is guranteed to spawn on the last floor. You can check the schedule here - http://www.terrabattlex.com/. Personally from metal zone three on I found there wasnt much point using it unless the king was there.

A different hunting ground is available each day of the week (apart from Monday when there is inexplicably none). Full details of the hunting zones are available here - http://terrabattle.wikia.com/wiki/Hunting_Zone and a full list of in game items is available here - http://terrabattle.wikia.com/wiki/Items

Random tips

Completing a chapter increases and refills your energy so use spare energy on Metal Zones or Hunting Grounds before finishing the last dungeon in a chapter.

Always turn on the fast forward option, its just better

Dont feel bad about it, you want 2 healers anyway.
I was doing little damage with 3 healers in my group (have an old man with B that is totally useless, at least the SS healer can do some good damage).
But I just got some monster drops, one of the is a swrodsman, so i entered the metal levels and he went up 6 levels, and the rest 3. SoI say im good know.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If you just max out your characters via the metal zone then play through the campaign it's been rather easy so far. No road blocks for me. I'm on chapter 11 with all of my characters but one in the 30s.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh wow, I just caught a Bomborg (C Monster), which has amazing skills:
http://terrabattle.wikia.com/wiki/Bomborg

LV 35 Disarm Bomb, Equip (Disarm bombs in the area you've traveled.)
LV 65 Build Bomb, Equip (Move with a bomb in tow.)

Any normal character that has those skills or are those unique? I probably should level that guy for harder bomb levels.

Visceir

Oh wow, I just caught a Bomborg (C Monster), which has amazing skills:

http://terrabattle.wikia.com/wiki/Bomborg

LV 35 Disarm Bomb, Equip (Disarm bombs in the area you've traveled.)
LV 65 Build Bomb, Equip (Move with a bomb in tow.)

Any normal character that has those skills or are those unique? I probably should level that guy for harder bomb levels.

SS Gugba has those skills. Gugba also has an AoE skill that deals damage to the whole screen in the shape of an earthquake, very OP...and the highest physical damage. A beast character in general, just takes reallly long to get his good skills.

Does anyone know what Gatz's 3rd form abilities are? as well as what the treasure hunter ability does?
Just debating whether or not to save my dark matter for Samatha or to use it on Gatz for their jobs.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
SS Gugba has those skills. Gugba also has an AoE skill that deals damage to the whole screen in the shape of an earthquake, very OP...and the highest physical damage. A beast character in general, just takes reallly long to get his good skills.

I dont think its all too realistic to rely on getting that SS Gugba guy any time soon :p
So that monster could actually be decently useful eventually, interesting. Levelling it to 65 sure is going to be annoying though.

Visceir

Does anyone know what Gatz's 3rd form abilities are? as well as what the treasure hunter ability does?
Just debating whether or not to save my dark matter for Samatha or to use it on Gatz for their jobs.

Gatz

Treasure hunter increases the chance of items dropping. Gatz is a pretty cool character, would love to have him in my party.

I dont think its all too realistic to rely on getting that SS Gugba guy any time soon :p
So that monster could actually be decently useful eventually, interesting. Levelling it to 65 sure is going to be annoying though.

I wouldn't waste my time on that monster character.

Gugba starts off really slow, so you're perhaps even better off not getting him until later in the game.

Toma

Gatz

Treasure hunter increases the chance of items dropping. Gatz is a pretty cool character, would love to have him in my party.

I wouldn't waste my time on that monster character.

Gugba starts off really slow, so you're perhaps even better off not getting him until later in the game.

Oh wow, Gatz has the disarming skill too, plus levitation and Treasure hunter. Damn. So many good chars out there.

And I cant really affect my chances of getting Gugba, might never get him :p

Pbae

So after playing a bunch whenever time permits, I've rare rolled 6 times and got all A's and 1 B. This doesn't include the SS I rolled in the beginning.

Am I screwed guys?

Toma

So after playing a bunch whenever time permits, I've rare rolled 6 times and got all A's and 1 B. This doesn't include the SS I rolled in the beginning.

Am I screwed guys?

No, you can play the game just fine with only A's and B's. The variety of high level characters is more important than having one more rare character.

Am I screwed guys?
You're only screwed if they're all the same class/weapon.

The ranking is fine as long as you level up properly and unlock the jobs.

Hubb

[*]Pact of Truth - This is the energy or real money "gacha". Each pull costs three energy. The units available are all character units ranging from B to SS class. If you get a duplicate S or SS class unit your current unit gains five levels and a 10% skill boost.
[/LIST]

Good post, the only thing I noticed was the bolded. Maybe it is dependent on the region, but it is 5 energy for NA to pull.

Uthred

Taking advantage of elemental weaknesses and proper positioning to maximise combo attacks has so far been of more use than SS characters as far as I can see. I will say a mage, A, S, SS or otherwise is very handy (well any AOE character really). While they may have better stats at max level the fact that B & A level a fair bit faster makes up for that beforehand e.g. my B class Sword character is 40 compared to my SS spear characters 33/34 and has better stats/gets skills unlocked earlier. This may change at "endgame" but considering there is no endgame at the moment I dont think its anything to be too concernced about. You could consider re-rolling for SS characters to be a mix of early boost and possible "future proofing"

Good post, the only thing I noticed was the bolded. Maybe it is dependent on the region, but it is 5 energy for NA to pull.

No you are correct, my mistake, considering how many times Ive used the thing I've no excuse ;), thanks for pointing it out

Visceir

Just finished 16-10, the boss had a really cool mechanic where it
would drain my hp down to 1 and unleash an aoe with that energy

Amina's job3 weapon is a 16-10 boss drop and I just so happened to get it without even being aware of it. Gonna need 3 Orichalcum to advance her to job 3 now, ugh...

Last 2 recruitment rolls have been duplicates so that hasn't been all too exciting :(

all my chars are ~20+ due to metal zone. but ive hit a exp wall cause the regular stages dont give that much and i gotta wait till metal zone 2

zulux21

you know... aside from the three SS characters you can currently get via using gold in the tavern which since i want more mages in general is why I am using some gold on the off chance I can get them since I don't have materials to change jobs anyways and I have more fun grinding gold then mats :p

Top Bottom