• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

Since that's a monster character, it's not on the wiki's yet. Could actually just be an early recruit that wouldn't normally be available till late in the game (It is an A rank monster after all).

Visceir

SS characters take forever to level up. I can get some B/A characters to the level I want them, then another party of B/A characters and my SS characters won't still be on the same level. Will be worth it in the end though.

Bahamut dungeon tomorrow! Hopefully some new characters too, need to roll the dice with my 5 energy.

J0dy77

Looking for the opinion of some of the more experienced players that have progressed pretty far into the game. I'm trying to love this game but it isn't grabbing me, at least not yet. I'm up to chapter 9 now and have a few gripes that seem to be holding back my enjoyment.

- The attack animations are extremely long and boring, seeing the same stationary character animation fly across the screen got old very quickly. I'd really love to see a quick attack option where the icon just pops up briefly and moves on.

- Up to this point the combat seems pretty basic, not a ton of strategy involved, just grind away and heal. I'm hoping this is just because I'm still pretty early on in the game.

What aspects are you enjoying most about the game? Should I power through because I'm missing a lot as the game goes on?

I'm very interested to see what they do with Friends and multiplayer for this and hoping the game catches on for me at some point.

desverger

I can't seem to find an answer to this simple question: If I transfer devices, what will happen to the old device? Will it wipe the data?

edit: Solid, thanks!

Looking for the opinion of some of the more experienced players that have progressed pretty far into the game. I'm trying to love this game but it isn't grabbing me, at least not yet. I'm up to chapter 9 now and have a few gripes that seem to be holding back my enjoyment.

- The attack animations are extremely long and boring, seeing the same stationary character animation fly across the screen got old very quickly. I'd really love to see a quick attack option where the icon just pops up briefly and moves on.

- Up to this point the combat seems pretty basic, not a ton of strategy involved, just grind away and heal. I'm hoping this is just because I'm still pretty early on in the game.

What aspects are you enjoying most about the game? Should I power through because I'm missing a lot as the game goes on?

I'm very interested to see what they do with Friends and multiplayer for this and hoping the game catches on for me at some point.

I honestly have no idea why people like this game. It's about as deep as a well-made Final Fantasy minigame and if you don't want to spent money you can end up with a party with only sword-users and just hate every second of this shit like me. I'd like to experiment with different characters but uhh, the pace at which you get energy and coins makes this a slow and painful process. I usually don't play mobile games but my experience with this game has been just like I always imagined them to be: grind and wait.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
装甲悪鬼村正;135551545 said:
I honestly have no idea why people like this game. It's about as deep as a well-made Final Fantasy minigame and if you don't want to spent money you can end up with a party with only sword-users and just hate every second of this shit like me. I'd like to experiment with different characters but uhh, the pace at which you get energy and coins makes this a slow and painful process. I usually don't play mobile games but my experience with this game has been just like I always imagined them to be: grind and wait.
Sounds like you just don't like mobile games and want instant gratification.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Sounds like you just don't like mobile games and want instant gratification.

I really dont like mobile games and mobile game design that much either, but Terra Battle is genuinely good.
"Instant gratification" isnt a platform specific thing though, Disgaea has 1000s of hours of gameplay for example with a ton of grinding.

Visceir

There's that fastforward button in the top right corner, it speeds up the animations and the battle. I don't do a single battle on normal speed anymore.

They will start workin on battle animations when they hit 1 mil downloads, but I don't really see the need for it.

As for what I enjoy -- I like how everyone starts off with different characters,I like the artstyle and it makes me want to work and upgrade my characters. It's fun to set up your characters exactly so that you will set off big chain attacks. The story isn't all that great, but I'm still curious where it goes. I like seeing all the different boss monster mechanics -- they seem to be quite inventive.

J0dy77

装甲悪鬼村正;135551545 said:

I don't have a problem with mobile games at all, I'm almost 700 days into PAD. I actually like the grind and wait. I take it as an additional challenge and I can play in bursts.

I'm more curious to hear what is keeping the experienced players coming back for more and more.

Datschge

The battles are not as character dependent as people seem to think, there is plenty room to move units strategically that battles can be won even with weaker characters (and since weaker characters are faster to level up the actual difference between weaker and stronger classes is the amount of skills and the higher levels, which become really important only much later into the game).

dramatis

装甲悪鬼村正;135552406 said:
I actually prefer slowly built-up gratification but that concept doesn't work very well with RNG character recruiting. Can't wait to draw another sword-user, can't have too many of those!
I played the first 5 chapter with nothing but spear users, which I'm okay with because I understand the game is free. All you have to do is get more creative lining a lot of people up for extra attacks. You can actually play this game without a perfect team.

The problem here is that you're complaining about the only means through which the developers can make money. You don't have to put money in.

thefro

I played the first 5 chapter with nothing but spear users, which I'm okay with because I understand the game is free. All you have to do is get more creative lining a lot of people up for extra attacks. You can actually play this game without a perfect team.

The problem here is that you're complaining about the only means through which the developers can make money. You don't have to put money in.

I have 2-3 S through B characters of each of the 4 classes, plus a healer, and that's all from free energy they've given out. Not counting the monsters that you capture randomly. I'm just on Chapter 9.

Not to mention the game gives you generic classes from the start to fill out your roster so you have at least one of each type.

17-7 is bullshit. Could they at least have the decency of not giving them the first move...

Urgh, I had 3 rounds of Metal Zone 3, but a bunch of unlucky breath attacks killed one of my archers, and then on the last round the enemies spawned in a manner such that I couldn't attack them effectively. My fifth member died to a pincer from the last two enemies who were near death themselves. I finally gave in and paid energy for the revive just so I could beat the damn level :(.

dramatis

I have 2-3 S through B characters of each of the 4 classes, plus a healer, and that's all from free energy they've given out. Not counting the monsters that you capture randomly. I'm just on Chapter 9.

Not to mention the game gives you generic classes from the start to fill out your roster so you have at least one of each type.
I started with Grace (archer), Kuscah (staff), and Knight (spear). Rolled Koko (spear) and Ellvern (staff with very useless stuff in the early levels of his first job).

And then I rolled Samupi using energy (spear) and beast spear users using coins (like 3 of them). Eventually I got a Knight (sword) and they give you Sword Cat guy, but I was swimming in spearpeople for many chapters.

I didn't get a new archer until like chapter 9, and it was a monster C archer. I had to change Samupi's job. Didn't even get an offense mage until chapter 10. Even with the free energy I definitely don't have 2-3 S-B characters of each of the 4 classes lol. I get by using some monster sub-ins and one of the most useful dudes is the Mech Orbling I got from farming rainbow tears in 8-5. I got him so many times in that stage he's like skill boosted to 25% or something, but it's useless because both his skills are 100% pops...He's good for metal zones.

But it's not too bad juggling a party around.

Visceir

Can you get rare drops from Puppet show? I ain't getting shit.

I've only gotten rares from the big puppet boss, otherwise not.

Spent most of today's stamina on metal zone and leveling up, got Glacier on A'merpact and will have Glacier on Piz'fer in 2 levels.

Was kinda hoping the area of Glacier would be bigger than the standard 3x3 pincer. Really wish they would fix the mage skill descriptions and add the area of effect.

oh nice. puppet king appeared with 5 second left on clock.

killed 3 of my characters with its aoe that resets everything. i shoulda just concentrated on the mobs around it instead of trying to kill it.

only way i see it work is if i make small movements disregarding the mobs and force the spawn with as much time as possible and with lots of spear users

Razzorn34

There's that fastforward button in the top right corner, it speeds up the animations and the battle. I don't do a single battle on normal speed anymore.

They will start workin on battle animations when they hit 1 mil downloads, but I don't really see the need for it.

Luckily, it's an option. I would love battle animations, and I never use fastforward.

So puppet is by far the best dungeon to run for items, and the 12 second limit makes for some pretty interesting gameplay, especially when the puppet king decides to show up and wreck shop. Still took his ass down with seconds to spare. Additionally, the campaign just threw a nice twist into the battle, the boss mechanics can really force you to switch up tactics.

So pretty much you only get one energy for completing campaign dungeons? I've ceased to get login energy bonuses since like day five...

Ryuukan

So puppet is by far the best dungeon to run for items, and the 12 second limit makes for some pretty interesting gameplay, especially when the puppet king decides to show up and wreck shop. Still took his ass down with seconds to spare. Additionally, the campaign just threw a nice twist into the battle, the boss mechanics can really force you to switch up tactics.

So pretty much you only get one energy for completing campaign dungeons? I've ceased to get login energy bonuses since like day five...

The item you get are pretty much separate for the 3 different weekday hunting zones

Vitanimus

For some reason my remedy guy does nothing when there's a poisoned or asleep team member. Is there something I'm missing that activated his abilities?

Visceir

For some reason my remedy guy does nothing when there's a poisoned or asleep team member. Is there something I'm missing that activated his abilities?

Only the Panacea skill will remove all debuffs, and that is a job3 lvl 65 skill.

Otherwise different skills cure different debuffs. Antidote cures poison, Rise and Shine cures sleep. The character who has those skills still needs to be part of the attack chain to activate the skill.

Yes, but I meant shear number of items dropped. Ran the tin dungeon yesterday and got 0 and 1 item. Today, 13 and 15...

The number of item drops doesn't really matter if you don't get the items you need. I'd also advise not running Hunting Zone 1 and just progressing the story chapters until Hunting Zone 2 opens up.

Listonosh

I know this is pointless to complain about since RNG and all that, but I just need to vent my frustration. Two buddies of mine, who have played the same amount of time, did the same amount of pulls, keep getting S and SSs, while I have yet to see a single one. It's shit like that that makes me want to quit this game.

Again, pointless rant but DAMMIT!

Some Nobody

The longer I play this game the more iffy I get about it. The re-rolling bit wasn't so bad--Bahl, Kuscah, and Samantha the Spearmaiden put me in a nice position early on so I didn't worry much about what characters I got. I didn't notice the lack of a decent mage because I got a Mantle Tortoise early on and he put in a LOT of work.

...But yeah, now that I'm past chapter 8 and can access Metal Zone 2 I'm pretty irked. it was "cute" when I first found out metal monsters ran the first chance they got. But something about the zone costing 15 stamina and staying open only an hour when you only have 42 stamina makes the running less cute and more of a rip-off.

Then there's the "skill boost" garbage, where you can flush away a hard-earned 3000 gold only to get a boost to an existing character.

I get that it's designed to make you spend money, but this is why people don't like F2P in the first place.

putermcgee

Thanks to 8-4's johntv for the heads up. I went and picked up the Famitsu issue and got the code. I hope it stays exclusive at least for a while because the magazine is garbage, and I don't want to feel like I wasted the money just on a character that gets thrown into the regular pact pulls ;)

There's also a code for Monster Strike in there, but it doesn't work on the US version of the game, which is lame.

Also, I felt pretty good about this Puppet Show (2) run:
B0pFa-vCYAIm67c.png

zulux21

Does anyone know how close it is to 90k downloads, when we'll be able to download the soundtrack for free?

http://www.terra-battle.com/en/downloadstarter/90dl.html

EDIT: Never mind, I see it on the previous page.

you edited to fast... I wanted to say it's about 800k away from 90k....
in the positive way :p

anyways i have no motivation to buy a famitsu mag for the "exclusive" character as it seems like something that will be added tomorrow in the bahumat thing.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
you edited to fast... I wanted to say it's about 800k away from 90k....
in the positive way :p

anyways i have no motivation to buy a famitsu mag for the "exclusive" character as it seems like something that will be added tomorrow in the bahumat thing.

That would certainly teach me a lesson, haha.

Visceir

i'm excited in general to see the first event.
The event is supposed to be a level 20 event right?

I've seen a picture floating around that hints there are 3 different versions/difficulties for the event.

Supposedly ice elemental characters are good in that dungeon.

That would certainly teach me a lesson, haha.

Pretty sure it was just "early access", but it was just 3 bucks, right?

AwShucks

So I have three rainbow tears and my options are Kuscah, Nakupi or Kana. I use Kuscah but I'm leaning towards getting Kana's next job and using her instead. I have Paralyze unlocked from Job 1 so I can have heal + paralyze and have my healer actually be useful.

Nakupi is my third priority sword unit and Bahl and Gugba will both be getting next job soon, so his job isn't as important.

Aexact

I started with Grace (archer), Kuscah (staff), and Knight (spear). Rolled Koko (spear) and Ellvern (staff with very useless stuff in the early levels of his first job).

And then I rolled Samupi using energy (spear) and beast spear users using coins (like 3 of them). Eventually I got a Knight (sword) and they give you Sword Cat guy, but I was swimming in spearpeople for many chapters.

I didn't get a new archer until like chapter 9, and it was a monster C archer. I had to change Samupi's job. Didn't even get an offense mage until chapter 10. Even with the free energy I definitely don't have 2-3 S-B characters of each of the 4 classes lol. I get by using some monster sub-ins and one of the most useful dudes is the Mech Orbling I got from farming rainbow tears in 8-5. I got him so many times in that stage he's like skill boosted to 25% or something, but it's useless because both his skills are 100% pops...He's good for metal zones.

But it's not too bad juggling a party around.
Haha, I'm also swimming in spear people. Kem (A), Sh'berdan (B), Djugan (S). The worst part is that my other draws were swords, Sheena (SS) and Bahl (B), so I have no elemental damage on my team. I'm almost certain Grace is the superior starter draw but that's probably because I have no archers besides generic tutorial guy. I'm still on Chapter 10 yet and the mandatory lightning lizard has become a staple of the team.

And yeah, Mech Orbling is super handy for Metal Zones, probably my second most useful monster. Caught a Mantledrake and I'm freaking out. His fire attack must be a pale imitation of how the SS Mage rollers feel.

zulux21

I've seen a picture floating around that hints there are 3 different versions/difficulties for the event.

Supposedly ice elemental characters are good in that dungeon.

I wonder what type of rewards we will get from the event. As there has to be some rewards to make people care right :p?

Visceir

I wonder what type of rewards we will get from the event. As there has to be some rewards to make people care right :p?

Bahamut can be obtained. It's S rank and has 3 jobs, probably multiple aoe magic attacks.

I'm sure there are other rewards too though, hopefully we'll find out soon.

Razzorn34

Bahamut can be obtained. It's S rank and has 3 jobs, probably multiple aoe magic attacks.

I'm sure there are other rewards too though, hopefully we'll find out soon.

That sounds interesting... Especially since Bahamut is traditionally non-elemental magic based.

anaron

The longer I play this game the more iffy I get about it. The re-rolling bit wasn't so bad--Bahl, Kuscah, and Samantha the Spearmaiden put me in a nice position early on so I didn't worry much about what characters I got. I didn't notice the lack of a decent mage because I got a Mantle Tortoise early on and he put in a LOT of work.

...But yeah, now that I'm past chapter 8 and can access Metal Zone 2 I'm pretty irked. it was "cute" when I first found out metal monsters ran the first chance they got. But something about the zone costing 15 stamina and staying open only an hour when you only have 42 stamina makes the running less cute and more of a rip-off.

Then there's the "skill boost" garbage, where you can flush away a hard-earned 3000 gold only to get a boost to an existing character.

I get that it's designed to make you spend money, but this is why people don't like F2P in the first place.

That shit is pissing me off too. I hope they take some feedback and implement it to be more generous

zulux21

That shit is pissing me off too. I hope they take some feedback and implement it to be more generous

I doubt it will become more generous as it already is one of the most generous systems out there for f2p mobile games of this type that I have played.

in other news while goofing around on chapter 10 with diagonals I found out you can move people like knights on a chess board if you have the right conditions. if you have two blocked squares in a row, and a person next to the squares if you come in from the opposite direction with a quick diagonal movement you can launch the other person where you started from :p

anaron

I doubt it will become more generous as it already is one of the most generous systems out there for f2p mobile games of this type that I have played.
All I'm asking is for the monsters to not flee as easily. I agree that it's a very generous free game in general

zulux21

All I'm asking is for the monsters to not flee as easily. I agree that it's a very generous free game in general

that might be tweaked later when more people are at the higher levels, but I imagine that they want the metal zone to be challenging beyond the first zone to account for more skilled players and to not make it a boring grind.

I haven't had any issues getting 75k plus exp (usually over 100k) from zone two metal zone just by quickly lining up stuff and ignoring the ones that move.

Or if you only really care about leveling a particular character consider using a smaller party so the EXP isn't as divided.
It'll make up for the loss of overall experience by having larger shares of EXP for characters.
That's what I'm doing for particular characters that I have gotten new jobs for that need to catch up to the rest of the party.

Top Bottom