• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

Reposting for a new page.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the save / reload trick works post patch? I just save/reloaded over 20 times trying to get a Masamune from 14-10 and no luck. Wondering if drops are determined at the beginning of the dungeon now.

Got screwed in 22-7 because the enemies happened to spawn in a formation around my characters such that I literally couldn't attack them on my turn. I hate it when the game does that.

Hige

I just got Bahl to level 65 and her physical attack x1.5 skill can stack and it doubles your damage output. With enough skill boost you can keep it perpetually active. Top tier confirmed.

Visceir

Uh...yeah, about that...
*is at 21, just waiting to get my guys up a little*

There will be a chapter with mostly all ice element monsters that get healed when you attack them with ice type attacks. Your Piz'fer and ice spear guy will be useless in that chapter.

Akito

Reposting for a new page.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the save / reload trick works post patch? I just save/reloaded over 20 times trying to get a Masamune from 14-10 and no luck. Wondering if drops are determined at the beginning of the dungeon now.
Should still work, I farmed an Asclepius yesterday.

Visceir

Finally got all the mats to advance Alika to job3 just as I got job2 to lvl 65. So not in the mood to start leveling an S class job3 from lvl 1 again though.

Time to advance the story for a little.

I can't get past 21-7...
The phoenix always wipes out my team, with maybe 2 members left.
I can't finish him off fast enough.

My team is around lvl 40 (mix of job2/3)

Deitus

Is Pupropu worth job 3?

If you can get his job 3 to level 65, he learns his most powerful lightning spell, and he is (I'm pretty sure) the most powerful non-SS lightning mage in the game, so it's definitely worth it in the long run unless you happen to already have Jennish. But his first three skills of his job 3 are not that useful. I guess Anti-Darkness shield is useful if you are fighting enemies that use darkness abilities, and he will have better stats than job 2 if you take the time to level him up.

But I'm personally holding off on getting him to job 3 until I get to the point where getting to level 65 is possible, and in the meantime using those items on a character who more immediately benefits

Visceir

I'm making my way through that chapter right now, with Piz'fer and A'merpact benched.

All the enemies are sword type too, so I'd advise to level up one or two spear users (that arent ice type) ...or just bahamut/fire mage to blast everything with magic.

I'm using Kem and Sh'berdan myself.

Haven't obviously done 28-10 Boss myself, but I'm guessing he is much like the pudding type monsters and normal hits just won't land.

If you can get his job 3 to level 65, he learns his most powerful lightning spell, and he is (I'm pretty sure) the most powerful non-SS lightning mage in the game, so it's definitely worth it in the long run unless you happen to already have Jennish. But his first three skills of his job 3 are not that useful. I guess Anti-Darkness shield is useful if you are fighting enemies that use darkness abilities, and he will have better stats than job 2 if you take the time to level him up.

But I'm personally holding off on getting him to job 3 until I get to the point where getting to level 65 is possible, and in the meantime using those items on a character who more immediately benefits

Pupropu's job2 lvl 65 skill seems waay better than its job3 skills. Piz'fer' magic attacks have got me spoiled as they deal damage for 3 rows both horizontally and vertically. The lvl 65 tempest attack just does the usual 3x3 attack, it's powerful but rather focused.

Deitus

Pupropu's job2 lvl 65 skill seems waay better than its job3 skills. Piz'fer' magic attacks have got me spoiled as they deal damage for 3 rows both horizontally and vertically. The lvl 65 tempest attack just does the usual 3x3 attack, it's powerful but rather focused.

Well yeah, increasing the rate of skill activation by 20% of all mages in battle is going to be a huge benefit, especially if you have even more powerful mages (for me though, he is by far my strongest mage). All the more reason to stick with job 2 until later when you have better ways to level up to 65.

But Tempest is the strongest lightning spell Pupropu can learn. And since none of his spells have better than the usual 3x3 area, there's really no reason why you wouldn't want to learn it eventually (and have the potential to use 3 attack spells per turn), assuming you want to continue to use him in your party. But it's more of a down the road thing, because it's an investment with a payoff that takes so long to reach if you aren't in the later parts of the game.

I imagine most players, like me, don't have the luxury of having access to SS mages that can wipe out entire rows and columns of enemies in one go.

Yeah checked the wiki and think I'll hold on on him for the while.

Did they lower the cost of HZ3? I swear it used to be 25, now it's 20. I just did Tin Parade and got over 25 items 3 times in a row. I did HZ2 twice and got 12 and 15. Easily worth it for just 30% extra stamina.

Hige

It's always been 20.

I swear you guys see changes where there are none. >_> Every week people think they nerfed the drop rates lol.

It's always been 20.

I swear you guys see changes where there are none. >_> Every week people think they nerfed the drop rates lol.

Not saying they nerfed anything. I just always hear people complaining about how HZ3 isn't worth it compared to HZ2. So on Tuesday I did HZ2 4 times and HZ3 4 times and came to the same conclusion. On some runs I was even getting more drops on HZ2. Just saying that I think the different zones have different rates. I'm not having the same experience at all with Tin Parade that I did with Pudding Time, I'm getting way more drops on HZ3 Tin Parade than HZ2, and it's definitely worth it.

Hige

Oh, I'm talking about other people claiming they nerfed drop rates, not you. It happens like once a week. And I'm one of the people that feel like HZ3 isn't worth it, since I get slightly more drops, but the same amount of rares as HZ2. However, this is based on my very small sample size and I prefer to save the stamina if I'm going to get the same amount of rare drops anyway. I'm not that tempted to gamble with HZ3 if my experience with it hasn't been great.

I found this and I'm surprised I never noticed that the HZ difficulty level changes depending on your party's levels. I'll have to give HZ3 another go since the difficulty level is higher than when I tried it before.

Aexact

Oh, I'm talking about other people claiming they nerfed drop rates, not you. It happens like once a week. And I'm one of the people that feel like HZ3 isn't worth it, since I get slightly more drops, but the same amount of rares as HZ2. However, this is based on my very small sample size and I prefer to save the stamina if I'm going to get the same amount of rare drops anyway. I'm not that tempted to gamble with HZ3 if my experience with it hasn't been great.

I found this and I'm surprised I never noticed that the HZ difficulty level changes depending on your party's levels. I'll have to give HZ3 another go since the difficulty level is higher than when I tried it before.
Wait, is this true? Being at a higher level (even above the recommended level limit) increases your chances of getting drops?

I only remember bad experiences from having people above the level limit. Does this person have some sort of cred to say it's a mechanic rather then speculation?

Wait, is this true? Being at a higher level (even above the recommended level limit) increases your chances of getting drops?

I only remember bad experiences from having people above the level limit. Does this person have some sort of cred to say it's a mechanic rather then speculation?

Pretty sure it's true. About 10 pages ago I discovered that the amount of exp you get in Metal Zone is proportional to the highest level member in your party. Although in that case I found it was proportional to the highest level and not the average level. Either way, at that time I speculated that perhaps hunting zones worked the same way, but I wasn't able to take the idea any further.

This basically explains it though. The difficulty (which you can see on the screen before entering) of HZ and MZ is a function of either the highest level or average level of your party (needs more testing to determine if it's truly average, or just highest in HZ). You can see what it is before entering the dungeon.

We already know that the higher it is, the better your drops, because that's the difference between HZ1 and HZ2 for example -- the difficulty. So it makes sense that if you can increase the difficulty through other means (e.g. by bringing a higher level group) that the drops would go up. And we already have an easily testable and reproducible way to check that difficulty level does affect something, just because of metal zone.

If you want to test it with metal zone, go into MZ with a group of people all under level 10. Kill 1 regular (non-runner) guy. You'll get like 3k-4k exp. Exit out (or finish, whatever) and swap 1 guy with a level 50. Look at the difficulty of the dungeon before you enter, and now each kill will grant you about 10k exp.

Edit: I'm wrong, I just confirmed it's average level, and not highest level. Easy to confirm that the Difficulty rating of the dungeon is exactly the average of all your party levels. Combined with the evidence from metal zone, I think it's safe to say this is true.

TL;DR:

1) The difficulty of an HZ or MZ can be calculated as MIN(average party level, max dungeon level)
2) The amount of drops (or exp) you get in an HZ or MZ is proportional to the difficulty.

I can't get past 21-7...
The phoenix always wipes out my team, with maybe 2 members left.
I can't finish him off fast enough.

My team is around lvl 40 (mix of job2/3)

He will always change from resurrecting his wings to phoenix flames at 50%, I'm assuming phoenix flames is whats killing you (it was me); set it up so that you have all your power points ready, and push him past 50% with a power point attack, with a turn to go still.

Now, move all your characters are far away as you can (phoenix flames do less damage the farther you are away, my guys within 2 tiles all got 1shot, when farther they all lived). He should then move straight down and get a 2 turn timer, hopefully you have enough power points and damage that you can power him down from whatever he is at in those 2 turns.

Visceir

I've been occasionally playing my other, original, account. While first it didn't seem so bad then now that I'm fighting monsters that arent sword type it's absolutely awful, haha.

I can barely kill monsters when I'm pincering them with my whole team. Half of my team (Bahl, Ra'pori, Jugen) have no attack skills whatsoever. I can still make my way through chapter 9, but it's rather awful how little damage my team deals. Such a stark contrast to my other playthrough with a SS mage.

The positive thing is that I'm still getting the 10 day login bonuses and will hopefully gain some energy quickly to then perhaps roll something more decent. I'd even settle for S'naip, haha.

Visceir

8-10 hates me (legendary drop)

also Visceir do you buy energy

Edit: Oh. Look at that, it dropped. Funny how that works :p

I bought some energy early on with the other account which got me Zuzu and Amina. ~15$ worth.

I enjoy the game and felt it was worth spending that amount to support the developer. As weird as it might sound it's probably my GOTY so far. I imagine Dragon Age or Far Cry might dethrone it though.

Deitus

TL;DR:

1) The difficulty of an HZ or MZ can be calculated as MIN(average party level, max dungeon level)
2) The amount of drops (or exp) you get in an HZ or MZ is proportional to the difficulty.

Interesting. I knew it applied to Metal Zones, but didn't realize it worked for Hunting Zones as well.

That actually explains why lately my Tin Parade drops have been very good while my Pudding Time drops have been crappy. I don't have a whole lot of good elemental attackers, so half of my Pudding Time team are underleveled. For my Tin Parade team I just use all of my highest level characters. So my difference in average level between the two is pretty significant.

Aexact

Sheena requires Excalibur for her 3rd tier and that drops from the dreaded 18-10.

But it dropped while I was trying to clear the chapter. Praise the RNG goddess.
... Hunting Zone 3 is pretty nifty, for 5 more stamina, go from 10-15 drops to 20-25 drops. Not super dramatic like going from Hunting Zone 1 to Hunting Zone 2 but glad so relieved I got through Chap 18. Never going back ever ever.

Decided to drop $60 since I've put a lot of hours into the game and felt like supporting Mistwalker. I didn't use all 20 pulls. I did use about 12 though. I got a few duplicates, but I also got Czerkas (SS swordsman) who looks like a total beast, so I'm happy about that.

Zerro, SS shadow mage. 14-10 drops the Masamune, and ironically Zerro is the *only* person who needs the Masamune for upgrade. FML

It took me longer to get the 3 animaton for job 2 than the masamune, which I got on my 3rd try. But it got a lot easier once my Yukken got negotiator pro. I have Rikken but I still need an apollo to drop, I haven't farmed for it yet, but those girls are SS for a good reason.

Negotiator is just a watered down Treasure Hunter right?

Also do any of you find Heal 1.5x useful? debating whether or not to level up my Amimari's Job 1 or just focus on her 3rd job.

Top Bottom