• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mistwalker/Hironobu Sakaguchi's Terra Battle |OT| Season 2 has been unleashed!

yoooooooo. my piz'fer is donig 3 column wide ice attacks now with his 2nd job. so stronk!

i dont know why he is doing this though. i got his 2nd job, and the only thing i added from it is another ice, pincer area 20% effect in one of his job 1's 2 slots :s

Got me excited when I thought they were giving out 50 energy per person (and that it was to everyone). They're only giving out 5 energy apiece to 10 people. Not even going to bother with that.

a chance for free 5 energy for 2 mins worth of work doesnt sound bad :p

yoooooooo. my piz'fer is donig 3 column wide ice attacks now with his 2nd job. so stronk!

i dont know why he is doing this though. i got his 2nd job, and the only thing i added from it is another ice, pincer area 20% effect in one of his job 1's 2 slots :s

His second jobs pincer just does that. It says area, but it doesn't say how big the area is. His 3rd job is 3 rows. Its also not 3, its the entire pincer area plus one more on each side. If you get a horizontal pincer of 4 dudes, he will hit 6 full columns (ie the entire board)

I like it! i'm a bit ticked about the skill description on things like this though. i could have been completely overlooking characters because seemingly similar skills aren't explained thoroughly.

whatever though, it's a nice surprise

Hige

It took me longer to get the 3 animaton for job 2 than the masamune, which I got on my 3rd try. But it got a lot easier once my Yukken got negotiator pro. I have Rikken but I still need an apollo to drop, I haven't farmed for it yet, but those girls are SS for a good reason.
Negotiator is for recruiting monsters, not increasing item drop rates.

The Japanese and French translations are more descriptive about the range of skills. The Japanese description mentions if a skill hits columns or rows in addition to being a 3x3 attack whereas the English translation only says "pincer area." Basically, it's best to assume a skill with the exact same name as a previous skill has additional range if the activation chance is lower.

Neol

Yea its kinda throwing me off on how sensitive it is now. Always messing up my character positions when I meant to just move a character to the right or left.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yea its kinda throwing me off on how sensitive it is now. Always messing up my character positions when I meant to just move a character to the right or left.

Yeah. Prob wont be an issue when we're used to it/prob for the better in the end, but still...

Paltros

So I just finished chapter 20 and had enough energy for a roll, got a gold contract with Gatz in it. Should I look into adding him into my team? Here's what I'm using so far:

pXWql7J.jpg

Hige

Do you farm a lot? I started with Piz'fer and he's only at 49% as of chapter 28 lol. Anyway, I'd replace Gegonago since Gatz covers levitation. I think chapter 18 is the big levitation chapter and you're already past that, and treasure hunter/panacea would be more useful in the long run. I think levitation makes a resurgence later in the game if it also works for enemies that leave slime trails, but so far I've managed without it.

KuroNeeko

Did the reset marathon for awhile and got (and lost) a few characters I like. I decided to stick with Amimari because I like how she looks and that she can swap between sword and healing.

I feel like all of my subsequent pulls have been gawd awful - all B & A rank units.

My current party is -

Ba'gunar the Highborn
Bahl the Dark Duelist
Amazora the Airy
Kem the Spearman
Mage (Dark)
Amimari the Nurse

Party level is sitting around 20.

My roster is -

SS:
Amimari

A:
Ethereal
Kana
Kem
Nakupi
S'naip
Ka'pori

B:
Sorman
Beastfolk Hero
Jaguna
Grace
Kuscah
Sh'berdan
Ba'gunar
Amazora

C:
Stonefolk Knight
Mage (Dark)
Beastfolk Warrior
Dracorin
Spinetrich

S'naip and Sh'berdan are usually in my main party, but I'm in a bow-heavy area right now so I'm rolling more Swords.

I don't know - should I keep going? I don't feel like I have too much trouble now, but I feel so....I don't know...plain...

linkent

Anyone main with S mage?
Was wondering whether S mage can be as good as SS, as the skill seems simlar but not sure about the damage.

So envy watching those japanese video where they have full SS mage with full aoe clear whenever they pinch. Basically 1 hit everything with AOE.

Currently using Pepropu(S) and Bahamut(S) which is freaking slow to level up.

Deitus

Anyone main with S mage?
Was wondering whether S mage can be as good as SS, as the skill seems simlar but not sure about the damage.

So envy watching those japanese video where they have full SS mage with full aoe clear whenever they pinch. Basically 1 hit everything with AOE.

I use Pupropu in my main party, since I lack an SS mage. He is very useful, but he simply doesn't compare to the SS mages because all of his skills are 3x3 pincer areas, compared to SS mages that can attack entire rows and columns at a time. As for damage, the S ranked mages are not significantly worse off than SS mages when it comes to their Magic Attack stat. However, the SS mages get access to more total attack spells, some of which have larger area of effect, giving them much more opportunities to do damage.

Pupropu does learn a skill at level 65 that lets him boost the skill activation rate of other mages by 20% though.

Visceir

He will also get a 3 column attack horizontally across the screen, with 2x damage.

Anyone main with S mage?

Bahamut might be comparable to an SS mage as it gets the 20% pincer magic attack that does 3 column across the screen damage at job1 lvl 65 and supposedly a Cross all attack at job3 lvl 35.

The other S mages are definitely not comparable though as they lack the 20% across the screen column magic attacks. Next best thing might be A'merpact with its 1 column across the screen attack, but even that is just decent and definitely not comparable to the SS mages might.

Folstern

Anyone main with S mage?

They'll never be as good as SS mages but they're as close as you can get. I'm using Bahamut and Mantledrake and they do their jobs well enough, for now.

Soulflarz

Banned
*Gets the courage to try 21-1*
W-what the hell is this difficulty curve.

(Well I mean I'm waiting to get Piz'fer to rank 3 till hes 35 rank 2 and he/zuzu are only 20s so that might explain it BUT STILL)

I made an interesting discovery about how the RNG works in this game. Basically, if you're having trouble farming an item or something and you're using the save/reload trick, it may be because you keep repeating the same actions over and over. This is all too easy to do when you're way overpowered for the level you're going into. A TL;DR of the results, and then I'll post proof:

1) When you reload, the drops for *that round* are already determined. Nothing you can do can influence them. Drops for future rounds are not yet determined though.

2) When you enter a new stage, your resumedata.bin file is overwritten, and now drops for the new round are determined and nothing you can do will influence them.

3) On a given round, what you do on that round WILL influence what you get on the next round. If you repeat exactly the same set of actions on that round, you will get exactly the same set of drops on the next round.

In short: If you're farming for an item, vary up your actions a little bit.

Before I submit the evidence, here is some theory to back it up. Random number generators in computer science aren't actually random. A random number generator is really just a sequence of numbers, and each time you generate a random number it gets the next number in the sequence. The reason it appears random is because when a program starts, it tells the RNG to use something like the system time as the "seed", or starting number. So each time you get a different sequence.

What I think happens is that the seed is stored in the resumedata.bin and re-used when you resume. This is why the drops are the same each time for that round. But why does what you do on that round influence what you do on the next round? Well, generating a random number is really just getting the next number in the sequence. If you get to the end of the round and you've generated the exact same number of random numbers, you will start the round in exactly the same place, and everything will be the same. Randomness in Terra Battle happens mostly when it comes to weapon skills. For each character, it rolls a random number to see whether or not to fire your weapon skill. It doesn't matter what the outcome is, what matters is how many times it rolls. If you're on the penultimate round of a battle and you have a system to line it all up and kill everything in one shot and you use the exact same formation every time, then you will have the same number of rolls every time. On the other hand, if you leave 1 guy alive, or even just take 1 guy out of the chain, the rolls differ.

Here are three videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvGSLVKx1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhWAIuF0NOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6YIAtB5UrI

In the first two videos I wiggle my character a bit differently so you can see that they are indeed different videos. At the beginning of the next round, I kill the same monster, and you can see that I get the monster drop both times. Coincidence? Well, first of all, monster drops are VERY rare. Secondly, I repeated this 4 more times, and I got the monster drop every time. I just didn't record the videos every time.

In the third video I make a slightly different action, and the monster does not drop.

I couldn't even survive the very first battle in 18-5...

Ok, somehow made it to the very last battle against one last enemy. Of course, I only had two units left, one of them being my healer. She wasn't able to heal Bahamut, so he died. What a waste of stamina.

I couldn't even survive the very first battle in 18-5...

Ok, somehow made it to the very last battle against one last enemy. Of course, I only had two units left, one of them being my healer. She wasn't able to heal Bahamut, so he died. What a waste of stamina.

A few pages back I posted a list of spoiler-tagged tips for getting through chapter 18. It's possible you already saw it, but go back and check it out just in case.

A few pages back I posted a list of spoiler-tagged tips for getting through chapter 18. It's possible you already saw it, but go back and check it out just in case.
I think I've been more or less doing something close to that advice. :( I just need to find a way to carefully take out multiple enemies with a counter of 1 that easily pincer me.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After close to 100 attempts, I'm done.

IXymOFDl.jpg

This is only a total of about 10 attempts of using my strategy of varying it up. After I figured this out, I finished the dungeon and swapped out every member of my party. In particular for weaker people that would take a bit longer to kill stuff. The idea being that if I'm killing everything in 1 round, the variance in how many RNG rolls the game was doing would decrease. Like maybe I try to mix it up but since I'm so powerful no matter what I do, I'm always ending up on the same 5-10 locations in the RNG sequence when I enter the last round. This way there was more variance, and more ways to screw with the RNG.

I finally figured out that I can also just do a few empty moves after resuming the save data. That's a good way to vary it up a little bit and let the AI use some rolls on the RNG to determine what it's gonna do.

I don't think the "100 attempts" counts if you did it wrong most of the time.

Well is 5+ hours better? :p Not sure what you mean by "did it wrong" though. It's not exactly obvious that the game works this way, and I only started doing the save/reload after burning over 300 stamina doing it the regular way.

Agree that they should fix it, but if they're going to do that they had damn well better increase the drop rate of these fucking weapons.

Visceir

Well is 5+ hours better? :p Not sure what you mean by "did it wrong" though. It's not exactly obvious that the game works this way, and I only started doing the save/reload after burning over 300 stamina doing it the regular way.

Agree that they should fix it, but if they're going to do that they had damn well better increase the drop rate of these fucking weapons.

It's all RNG though, just like how some people didn't get bahamut/weapon after 30+ tries.

Got one of the needed SS weapons the first time I killed the boss and the other one took me 8 tries. Got a second one right after on the 9th try as well. That, again, is just part of the game though.

It's very unlikely, but I hope there won't be a huge ban wave as the result of all of this.

It's all RNG though, just like how some people didn't get bahamut/weapon after 30+ tries.

Got one of the needed SS weapons the first time I killed the boss and the other one took me 8 tries. Got a second one right after on the 9th try as well. That, again, is just part of the game though.

It's very unlikely, but I hope there won't be a huge ban wave as the result of all of this.

I don't think they can ban over it because they have no way to detect it. You're not modifying any game files. To the game it looks no different than someone who crashed and restarted the app.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong, it is possible to detect. Each time you progress from one stage to the next, it could communicate with the server. When you resume, the server could notice that the progress in your resumedata doesn't match your progress stored on the server. It would be weird if they were going to ban over it though, because if they were already detecting it then when starting up, you would think it would just say "uhh, your shit is out of whack. I'm kicking you back out to the main screen".

Wow metal tickets have different leveling zones now.Sort of bummed out I used most of mine on 1-20 since it's the higher levels that go slower.

desverger

I feel this game handles the characters rather miserably.

-There's far too few characters
-There's a huge disparity between the usefulness of the characters
-The good characters are exceedingly rare
-There's no character "borrow" system, so you're stuck with the ones you own

I can understand the amount of characters not being huge, since they have big art associated with them, and the characters look considerably better than rival f2p games.

However, the rest of the points can make this game a truly miserable experience. If you're not rerolling to start with, I don't know, Piz'fer or something, you're already at a disadvantage later in the game. If you don't even have a mage, you definitely are at a huge disadvantage.

Even if you reroll and finally start with something decent, the game is still super stingy with the few, useful characters it has. You cannot evolve a "bad" character into a good one, and essentially, any character you don't want to use, is a waste of energy. There's also nothing that guarantees you will get an useful character if you spend 100 energy.

This could easily be circumvented with a character borrow system that similar games have. Got stuck in a fire-element chapter? Borrow your friend's ice mage or something similar.

Btw, when I say useful, I don't necessarily mean SS. I recently rerolled a few times on an another device, and pulled Eileen with my free 5 energy. She's definitely a game changer, I was rofling my way through the first chapters since sleep is so immensely powerful. Now, how many characters in the game DO have sleep? That's right, only Eileen.

I understand I'm complaining about a f2p game, but with these mechanics and the amount of characters, I'm really dissuaded about spending any money into this. I could spend $100 and get nothing but dupes of Bs I have. I've probably done around 100 pulls alltogether, by rerolling and with free energy, and I guesstimate the rate for an SS is about 3-5%.

Ok, so it seems trap damage is somehow bugged for me now. My characters take three hits when they hit a minor spike trap, so they instantly die from full health when they previously did not. God damn it. This is literally impossible. I can't reach the enemies now. I managed to move diagonally one time without triggering a spike, but I can't get it to happen again.

Ok, so it seems trap damage is somehow bugged for me now. My characters take three hits when they hit a minor spike trap, so they instantly die from full health when they previously did not. God damn it. This is literally impossible. I can't reach the enemies now. I managed to move diagonally one time without triggering a spike, but I can't get it to happen again.

You take a hit each time you enter and again at the end of your turn if you remain. Maybe post a video?

Visceir

I feel this game handles the characters rather miserably.

-There's far too few characters
-There's a huge disparity between the usefulness of the characters
-The good characters are exceedingly rare
-There's no character "borrow" system, so you're stuck with the ones you own

I can understand the amount of characters not being huge, since they have big art associated with them, and the characters look considerably better than rival f2p games.

However, the rest of the points can make this game a truly miserable experience. If you're not rerolling to start with, I don't know, Piz'fer or something, you're already at a disadvantage later in the game. If you don't even have a mage, you definitely are at a huge disadvantage.

Even if you reroll and finally start with something decent, the game is still super stingy with the few, useful characters it has. You cannot evolve a "bad" character into a good one, and essentially, any character you don't want to use, is a waste of energy. There's also nothing that guarantees you will get an useful character if you spend 100 energy.

This could easily be circumvented with a character borrow system that similar games have. Got stuck in a fire-element chapter? Borrow your friend's ice mage or something similar.

Btw, when I say useful, I don't necessarily mean SS. I recently rerolled a few times on an another device, and pulled Eileen with my free 5 energy. She's definitely a game changer, I was rofling my way through the first chapters since sleep is so immensely powerful. Now, how many characters in the game DO have sleep? That's right, only Eileen.

I understand I'm complaining about a f2p game, but with these mechanics and the amount of characters, I'm really dissuaded about spending any money into this. I could spend $100 and get nothing but dupes of Bs I have. I've probably done around 100 pulls alltogether, by rerolling and with free energy, and I guesstimate the rate for an SS is about 3-5%.

The game is balanced in a way that you can finish it with just A/B characters or even just a party full of monsters. SS/S rank is just pure luxury.

Most skills/roles can be covered by monsters. I have 2 monsters that can use sleep, one with potentially even better sleep skill than eileen (pincer attack).

Folstern

If you try the reload floor thing where you shut off the game and restart, this happens.

You take a hit each time you enter and again at the end of your turn if you remain. Maybe post a video?
Oh man, the one time I actually manage to beat the stage, too!
If you try the reload floor thing where you shut off the game and restart, this happens.
What happened was that I noticed me taking more damage than usual, so I quit the game and started it again. But that time, my unit that started off on a trap immediately died, and anyone who'd touch a trap also died instantly. It got unbugged once I got to the next wave, though.

desverger

The game is balanced in a way that you can finish it with just A/B characters or even just a party full of monsters. SS/S rank is just pure luxury.

Most skills/roles can be covered by monsters. I have 2 monsters that can use sleep, one with potentially even better sleep skill than eileen (pincer attack).

It probably is - I don't know, I haven't got too far yet (around chap 10). It might just be that my point of view is skewed also - playing with A/B chars is not very "fun", if you could have a SS mage that can clear a screen for example. But I guess that's their hook of getting people to spend money.

I still argue a character borrow system could potentially be awesome for this, because that would at least show different characters and make you want them.

Now you could end up playing the whole game with A/B chars and never even know there's mages and other, more interesting types of characters that don't just rely on regular attacks and mega/tera/giga-attacks.

anaron

Ok the new metal zone ticket policy is amazing.

Still only up to 2 in-game but the tickets now allow you to do 3 and with no stamina.

Alucrid

Banned
It probably is - I don't know, I haven't got too far yet (around chap 10). It might just be that my point of view is skewed also - playing with A/B chars is not very "fun", if you could have a SS mage that can clear a screen for example. But I guess that's their hook of getting people to spend money.

I still argue a character borrow system could potentially be awesome for this, because that would at least show different characters and make you want them.

Now you could end up playing the whole game with A/B chars and never even know there's mages and other, more interesting types of characters that don't just rely on regular attacks and mega/tera/giga-attacks.

There's a lot of A and B mages though

Ryuukan

You win

How good is Korin?

Korin, Kem and Pahrl are all chumps on their own, but with two additional chars of the same weapon type and getting their boosting skills, they're deadly

yes, this goes against the whole rocks paper scissors balanced party idea, but 30% def and 20% skill chance, fuck it

You win

How good is Korin?

Dude is a tank! Has ok offensive skills, but he has 2-3 stackable defense skills, and can self heal. Great to put in precarious situations while your weaker mages throw spells from afar. Thinking I am going to have to keep him around as well.

Anyone using Zenzoze? He is like the only spear user I have that can switch jobs, but rather not invest the time farming Claw of Fate if he is weak in the end. He looks to have some useful offensive skills though, like a column attack and an area attack that takes off a 1/3 of life off every enemy hit.

Korin, Kem and Pahrl are all chumps on their own, but with two additional chars of the same weapon type and getting their boosting skills, they're deadly

yes, this goes against the whole rocks paper scissors balanced party idea, but 30% def and 20% skill chance, fuck it

Also this. Gugba for me has a low skill activation, but with Korin's Frequency skill it helps a ton and of course there is the defense buff as well.

putermcgee

Aughh 13-8. I try killing off the minions first, but keep ending up in situations where I can't heal the characters that need it, or I get down to two characters, and they're stuck in their own separate dimensions, unable to attack. Is there a good strategy for this one?

Soulflarz

Banned
Anyone using Zenzoze? He is like the only spear user I have that can switch jobs, but rather not invest the time farming Claw of Fate if he is weak in the end. He looks to have some useful offensive skills though, like a column attack and an area attack that takes off a 1/3 of life off every enemy hit.

Hilariously, yes. Mid 50s, rank 1. I dont wana rank him up as im still hoping I'll get someone better.

Aughh 13-8. I try killing off the minions first, but keep ending up in situations where I can't heal the characters that need it, or I get down to two characters, and they're stuck in their own separate dimensions, unable to attack. Is there a good strategy for this one?

DARK ATTACKS. I mean he theoretically cant hit you if you kill all his extras before him, as he does the exact same pattern every time. Learn that pattern and get out of the way and you should be good. But dark attacks basically stun him for a turn, and make him waste his next one on trying to teleport your team away but failing, so Its all for the best.

Hilariously, yes. Mid 50s, rank 1. I dont wana rank him up as im still hoping I'll get someone better.

DARK ATTACKS. I mean he theoretically cant hit you if you kill all his extras before him, as he does the exact same pattern every time. Learn that pattern and get out of the way and you should be good. But dark attacks basically stun him for a turn, and make him waste his next one on trying to teleport your team away but failing, so Its all for the best.

I don't mind ranking him up, as I have a couple of other characters to take through the Metal Zone that just switched jobs, it is just a matter of getting Claw of Fates to do it. Screw it! His column and 1/3 life skills have my interest piqued enough, and being a B character is somewhat of a plus in that it will be much quicker to level up.

Top Bottom