• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

DoctorWho said:
The back of the case says the game supports DTS but when I play it the game runs in DD 5.1. I can't find anywhere in the game to change this.

Go into your PS3 Audio settings and uncheck everything but DTS.

Yeah. :/

Does everyone here pitch from the pitchers view or the default catchers view? I've always just used the default view but wow what a totally new experience it is using the pitchers view. I don't know why the hell I didn't use it before today.

Famicom said:
Go into your PS3 Audio settings and uncheck everything but DTS.

Yeah. :/

Wow.

I guess that would mean I would have to recheck everything when I play a blu-ray movie or game that only supports DD 5.1?

:/

shpankey

not an idiot
First impressions are both good and bad. The good is really good but the bad is really bad. Remember these are early impressions subject to change with more play, and since I've barely tapped the game I only have a few so far...

Good:

- Graphics! Holy shit man! lol, Killzone shmillzone, these are the best I've ever seen. Something to point out though, at first I was using 720p and they are truly amazing. When I switched to 1080p I seemed to lose A LOT of the incredible lighting effects. Though this may very well just be b/c the time of day or clouds or something. I will have to play more games to see.

- I'm adjusting to the bat speed finally. Yay!

- Sound... almost as amazing as the graphics. That is saying A LOT!

- Game is really fun so far, though subject to the bad (see sliders below).

- Did I mention the graphics? It needs repeating. Your jaw is gonna drop off your face.

Bad:

- Sliders. Ok, this one flat out pisses me the fuck OFF! Where did all my sliders go? I'm not kidding, they took out a bunch and on top of that, even worse, they combined a bunch of them! For instance, the ability to set infield, outfield and runner speed separately for the users and the cpu. This is now one fucking setting. WHAT THE FUCK?! Having this ability in 08 really allowed me to dial everything in perfectly and overcome the cheats the CPU would use like running faster than you.

- Where are my reaction sliders? Where are all kinds of my sliders gone to? There were a ton of sliders in 08, all brilliantly done. I had 08 fine tuned like a purring kitten. That shit was tight. I cannot believe this baloney... I'm literally astounded! I can't believe this hasn't been brought up or mentioned already; I am in shock over here. To take all of these out makes no sense whatsoever... it's like 09's sliders should be 08's and vice versa... never have I seen a series take so many sliders out. I'm appalled and as you can see, pretty upset by this. They are basically saying fuck you, you WILL play this game how *WE* want you to, you will not be allowed to overcome our cheats anymore, ahahahaha. (hyperbole, but still, lol).

- Ok, this one is pretty amazing... so much so, I recorded it and I'm going to upload it later... it has to be seen to be believed. CPU at bat, runner on 3rd I think 1 out. Hits a grounder to 3rd, and the runner tries to score... that's the setup, now let me go back. As the batter hits the ball, he steps back and my catcher forward, they literally walk right through each other like neither was there. Oh well, I can live with that, but remember that advancing runner? Yeah.. my catcher receives the ball from the 3rd baseman in plenty of time, so much so, I take a step towards the runner cause he's gonna flatten me, so I do this to meet him head on... what happens? lol, again, they both pass right through each other like neither was there... and I mean, full on bodies head on like both are ghosts right straight through one another. I can live with some clipping, but this is on a homeplate play!! WHAT ... THA ... FUCK?

I want to see that collision! Maybe my guys drops it; it was going to be a truly epic hit! Soon as I upload it I'll link it back here.

Wickerman

Core407 said:
Online or off? Online it is damn near impossible to check swing.

It's the lag. I had a great connection in one game today and I was able to check swing with ease. Every game prior was a lagfest and the check swing was being triggered when I tapped the button.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
shpankey said:
- Ok, this one is pretty amazing... so much so, I recorded it and I'm going to upload it later... it has to be seen to be believed. CPU at bat, runner on 3rd I think 1 out. Hits a grounder to 3rd, and the runner tries to score... that's the setup, now let me go back. As the batter hits the ball, he steps back and my catcher forward, the literally walk right through each other like neither was there. Oh well, I can live with that, but remember that advancing runner? Yeah.. my catcher receives the ball from the 3rd baseman in plenty of time, so much so, I take a step towards the runner cause he's gonna flatten me, so I do this to meet him head on... what happens? lol, the both pass right through each other like neither was there... and I mean, full on bodies head on like both are ghosts. This is on a homeplate play!! WHAT ... THA ... FUCK? Soon as I upload it I'll link it back here.

Ouch!

That sucks about sliders too, I always play with the settings out of the box for a bit, so I hadn't seen that.

Mrbob

Shpankey was the runner tagged out?

I didn't look closely at a replay but I thought I saw the same thing in my game. Looked like the runner going to home plate ran through the catcher, but it was called an out.

shpankey

not an idiot
Yeah the runner was called out, but I wanted to see that hit... I honestly think my guy had a good chance to drop it in the collision, the guy was full bore flying.

If by tag you mean did my guy sidestep and tag? No... I've watched it a bunch of times and recorded it. They went directly through each other, and I mean directly, full bodies, straight through. At one point almost 100% completely inside each other, lol That was kind of funny now that I think about it. But damn, when this play started developing I sat up, I knew it was going to be an epic collision.

I'm hoping it's just a rare glitch or something.. I can live with that. But if it's happens all the time, oh man, that won't do.

Can something like clipping and collision detection be fixed in a patch?

p.s. could this just be a byproduct of playing in 1080p?

As I said, I just got started playing so I don't want to come to any real opinions yet. Some of this may just be rare and or fixable (720p?) or patchable. The sliders thing though... eww, that's frustrating. Though the game is in an infinitely more playable state than 08 was, so it may work out ok. I need a lot more time to see if the cpu is cheating on anything etc. They may have just taken those cheats out so there may not be the need like in 08 therefore combined them. The sliders they flat out took out though.. that I can't understand at all.

Core407

Banned
shpankey said:
First impressions are both good and bad. The good is really good but the bad is really bad. Remember these are early impressions subject to change with more play, and since I've barely tapped the game I only have a few so far...

Good:

- Graphics! Holy shit man! lol, Killzone shmillzone, these are the best I've ever seen. Something to point out though, at first I was using 720p and they are truly amazing. When I switched to 1080p I seemed to lose A LOT of the incredible lighting effects. Though this may very well just be b/c the time of day or clouds or something. I will have to play more games to see.

- I'm adjusting to the bat speed finally. Yay!

- Sound... almost as amazing as the graphics. That is saying A LOT!

- Game is really fun so far, though subject to the bad (see sliders below).

- Did I mention the graphics? It needs repeating. Your jaw is gonna drop off your face.

Bad:

- Sliders. Ok, this one flat out pisses me the fuck OFF! Where did all my sliders go? I'm not kidding, they took out a bunch and on top of that, even worse, they combined a bunch of them! For instance, the ability to set infield, outfield and runner speed separately for the users and the cpu. This is now one fucking setting. WHAT THE FUCK?! Having this ability in 08 really allowed me to dial everything in perfectly and overcome the cheats the CPU would use like running faster than you.

- Where are my reaction sliders? Where are all kinds of my sliders gone to? There were a ton of sliders in 08, all brilliantly done. I had 08 fine tuned like a purring kitten. That shit was tight. I cannot believe this baloney... I'm literally astounded! I can't believe this hasn't been brought up or mentioned already; I am in shock over here. To take all of these out makes no sense whatsoever... it's like 09's sliders should be 08's and vice versa... never have I seen a series take so many sliders out. I'm appalled and as you can see, pretty upset by this. They are basically saying fuck you, you WILL play this game how *WE* want you to, you will not be allowed to overcome our cheats anymore, ahahahaha. (hyperbole, but still, lol).

- Ok, this one is pretty amazing... so much so, I recorded it and I'm going to upload it later... it has to be seen to be believed. CPU at bat, runner on 3rd I think 1 out. Hits a grounder to 3rd, and the runner tries to score... that's the setup, now let me go back. As the batter hits the ball, he steps back and my catcher forward, they literally walk right through each other like neither was there. Oh well, I can live with that, but remember that advancing runner? Yeah.. my catcher receives the ball from the 3rd baseman in plenty of time, so much so, I take a step towards the runner cause he's gonna flatten me, so I do this to meet him head on... what happens? lol, again, they both pass right through each other like neither was there... and I mean, full on bodies head on like both are ghosts right straight through one another. I can live with some clipping, but this is on a homeplate play!! WHAT ... THA ... FUCK?

I want to see that collision! Maybe my guys drops it; it was going to be a truly epic hit! Soon as I upload it I'll link it back here.

I swear to god I've seen collisions at home in MLB 08...

shpankey

not an idiot
Core407 said:
I swear to god I've seen collisions at home in MLB 08...
Me too, all the time. I played the hell out of 08 and you're absolutely right. As I said, I'm hoping it's a rare thing or fixable in 09. I'm suspicious about it being from playing in 1080p. I'll have to get a lot of games in both ways to see for sure.

shpankey

not an idiot
Took some pics cause I'm still in the game and don't want to get out...

TS09_01.jpg

TS09_02.jpg

TS09_03.jpg

TS09_04.jpg

TS09_05.jpg

TS09_06.jpg

TS09_07.jpg

TS09_08.jpg

TS09_09.jpg

TS09_10.jpg

TS09_11.jpg

TS09_12.jpg

Mrbob

I wonder if it is an issue with the Cubs?

I use the Cubs for all my games, and I notice you were playing the cubs in yours.

I read something in OS that all cubs games in franchise mode are at night. It is glitched for the team. Why are my cubbies glitched in mlb 09? :(

shpankey

not an idiot
Man of man, so many sliders flat out gone now, like the ability for the cpu to lay off close pitches.

Just noticed the text describing the slider for pickoffs. It now reads: "Lowering this can allow the user to exploit the cpu unfairly". What in the heck!! They think THEY are the cpu or something and are being cheated by US? lol. In reality, the cpu goes crazy throwing over when you take a single step. This text only makes me even more suspicious about my earlier comment. I'm honestly starting to think they took these sliders out on purpose to keep the cpu advantages. Ugh.

I can't help it, I'm such a tweaker... I love tweaking games to perfection and 08 really allowed for that. I had such an honest and well playing baseball game. This won't mean jack for most people but for people (OCD sports nuts) like me, this is beyond frustrating! :(

Bob, maybe they hate our Cubs? Probably Cardinal fans! ;)

eznark

Banned
Bad lag tonight, two games disconnected. First one was 0-0 in the sixth. Traffic Delay flashes. The games lags out. Ass hole gives me a 1* and I lost 10 points.

Core407

Banned
shpankey said:
Man of man, so many sliders flat out gone now, like the ability for the cpu to lay off close pitches.

Just noticed the text describing the slider for pickoffs. It now reads: "Lowering this can allow the user to exploit the cpu unfairly". What in the heck!! They think THEY are the cpu or something and are being cheated by US? lol. In reality, the cpu goes crazy throwing over when you take a single step. This text only makes me even more suspicious about my earlier comment. I'm honestly starting to think they took these sliders out on purpose to keep the cpu advantages. Ugh.

I can't help it, I'm such a tweaker... I love tweaking games to perfection and 08 really allowed for that. I had such an honest and well playing baseball game. This won't mean jack for most people but for people (OCD sports nuts) like me, this is beyond frustrating! :(

Bob, maybe they hate our Cubs? Probably Cardinal fans! ;)

You can steal a base with most players (who are relatively fast) by timing your jump. Stepping off isn't really required anymore.

shpankey

not an idiot
Core407 said:
You can steal a base with most players (who are relatively fast) by timing your jump. Stepping off isn't really required anymore.
I want to step off... I know it sounds silly but it's part of the game and I like doing it.

Not only that, last years ability to tweak both the cpu and users base runners speed individually, I corrected the issue you're speaking of. That is not accurate, you shouldn't be able to steal so easily, especially without a lead.

Having lots of sliders allows for this minutia tweaking that allows you to REALLY dial the game in. I miss having that ability.

Core407

Banned
shpankey said:
I want to step off... I know it sounds silly but it's part of the game and I like doing it.

Not only that, last years ability to tweak both the cpu and users base runners speed individually, I corrected the issue you're speaking of. That is not accurate, you shouldn't be able to steal so easily, especially without a lead.

Having lots of sliders allows for this minutia tweaking that allows you to REALLY dial the game in. I miss having that ability.

I haven't played the SP too much in the full game but in the demo, I had no real issues stepping off. Yeah they'd throw every once in a while but I could step off most of the time.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Here is another glitch or problem they need to address:

I started a night game at Turner Field and it looks like the lights are not coming on. I continue to play, and sure enough, even though the game is at sundown, the lights are still off. :(

Online borked. Collision glitches. Spelling errors. Sliders missing. Lighting problems.

Why do I get the feeling I am returning this game?

I think I got pitching down after a couple games. I'm finally not beaning hitters and acting all "wild-thing."

Also, now that the roster update finally works, can someone tell me why Eric Gag-Me is still on the Brewers staff? I know he accepted a minor-league contract, and it's not guaranteed he'll make the team, but to put him on the major league roster right away? Bleh. I sent him down immediately. I wish you could just delete players from the database permanently. :lol

shpankey

not an idiot
DenogginizerOS said:

I started a night game at Turner Field and it looks like the lights are not coming on. I continue to play, and sure enough, even though the game is at sundown, the lights are still off. :(
Exact same issue is happening to me playing at Cleveland right now.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
my shitty RTTS player sucks enough without breaking his hand on a terrible swing and being out for 2 months

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DenogginizerOS said:

Online borked. Collision glitches. Spelling errors. Sliders missing. Lighting problems.

Why do I get the feeling I am returning this game?

Well, to compare. I was playing a AA game in RTTS. Game started at sundown, and when I was up to bat, the lights were on and it was night time. <shrugs> Send them an email or wait for a patch to clean up some stuff. Or return it somehow. Whatever works.

Mrbob

Damn you, Soriano. You botched what could have been a shutout win online by not catching an easy fly ball in the 9th! :lol I guess the game is realistic after all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuXFxobYz-c

I honestly couldn't help laughing after this happened. Dude cost us 3 games last year by dropping 9th inning easy catches. :lol

Saiyu

Core407 said:

Wait, so you can time when to steal? All this time I thought (in 08) you press the button to steal and they set off automatically, unless this is a new feature.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
I suck so bad at hitting, yet I really, really love this game. I can't wait to sink more time into it.

shpankey

not an idiot
Despite some occasional glitches that pop-up, man this game is soooo fun!

Also, on the sliders... I should say, this game is in an INFINITELY more playable state out of the box than 08. I made some changes to the sliders we do have and I got it playing pretty damn good right now. More sliders is always welcome, but don't let any of my ocd ranting earlier hold anyone off of this amazing game.

eznark

Banned
gray_fox224 said:
I struck out 22 times in my second game. Darn you Chris Young...

I struck out MrBob about that many times last night! Gallardo had 15! I whupped his ass, 8-1. To be fair, it was either his first or second game and my 7th.

I wasn't going to say anything, but you posted those Hardy videos!

Jazzy, what's your PSN id? I want to beat you next.

shpankey

not an idiot
p.s. I quit playing in 1080p, I honestly think that was causing the clipping issues. playing again in 720p, i had a proper collision at the plate! made me crack a huge grin. :D

also, those of you still in 1080p, does it fill up your screen completely? i have a 1080p panosonic plasma and when i use 1080p there's like an inch black border around the whole game. it may be my tv or receiver (Onkyo, though i have it on pass-through). i was gonna snag a pic, but i just switched to 720p b/c i think it is a bit smoother (especially on stadium pans) and may have less glitches. but still, it made me wonder if the game was truly displaying 1080p, otherwise, why didn't it fill up my screen, which is fixed pixel 1080p? <shrug>

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
shpankey said:
Here's the video of that play. It's kind of fast. But I just took the video with my camera and youtubed it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdOAxzsALnE

...click on HQ for the high quality version.

Seeing this video, the "issue" was you. The collision is a canned animation. The batter was going to bowl your catcher over, however you took the catcher out of the animation by running towards them. If you laid off, the catcher would steady himself, brace for impact and the collision would have happened.

I've seen the crash at home plate a couple of times in the game already.

Remember, there's no collision detection in the game outside of animations.

shpankey

not an idiot
Kintaro said:
Seeing this video, the "issue" was you. The collision is a canned animation. The batter was going to bowl your catcher over, however you took the catcher out of the animation by running towards them. If you laid off, the catcher would steady himself, brace for impact and the collision would have happened.

I've seen the crash at home plate a couple of times in the game already.

Remember, there's no collision detection in the game outside of animations.
Actually, I'm not so sure. If you notice before that, the catcher walks through the batter too. Honestly, I think it had something to do with 1080p. And nobody said it was something that always happened, btw, just to be clear. The fact that it doesn't always happen is not proof that is doesn't happen at all.

But I would find your explanation troubling if true. I hope what you say is not the case, that would be a much more major issue to me... luckily, I'm sure it's not.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I find the gap between EA Sports' titles and other sports titles is growing, especially when it comes to initial quality and online performance. Perhaps I am just majorly disappointed due to the double-whammy of poor internet performance with both Killzone 2 and MLB 09, but in the case of MLB 09 compared to games such as NHL 09 and FIFA 09, MLB is just not on the same level when it comes to initial quality. I find the absolute piss poor performance of this game online to be a major issue that unfortunately leaves me with no other choice but to return it. As someone who cherishes the mornings on weekends when I play lag free games of FIFA against my friend in Germany, I find the inability to connect with people in my same time zone with MLB to be pure incompetence and poor project management on the part of Sony San Diego. To have traffic issues and severe lag three years in a row gives me little choice but to hopefully return it and perhaps invest in something I know that will work online like Tiger Woods or Fight Night Round 4 or perhaps COD:WaW.

shpankey said:
p.s. I quit playing in 1080p, I honestly think that was causing the clipping issues. playing again in 720p, i had a proper collision at the plate! made me crack a huge grin. :D

also, those of you still in 1080p, does it fill up your screen completely? i have a 1080p panosonic plasma and when i use 1080p there's like an inch black border around the whole game. it may be my tv or receiver (Onkyo, though i have it on pass-through). i was gonna snag a pic, but i just switched to 720p b/c i think it is a bit smoother (especially on stadium pans) and may have less glitches. but still, it made me wonder if the game was truly displaying 1080p, otherwise, why didn't it fill up my screen, which is fixed pixel 1080p? <shrug>

maybe your tv disables overscan on 1080p? The game has horizonal/vertical stretch settings to disable the in-game overscan in the Audio/Video options (which I wish more people used when taking screenshots!).

EDIT: Oh right I just remembered. Whenever you switch the resolutions of the game, the game doesn't remember those overscan settings. When I switch my PS3 between my TV and PC monitor I have to reset that every time.

Macattk15

shpankey said:
Actually, I'm not so sure. If you notice before that, the catcher walks through the batter too. Honestly, I think it had something to do with 1080p. And nobody said it was something that always happened, btw, just to be clear. The fact that it doesn't always happen is not proof that is doesn't happen at all.

But I would find your explanation troubling if true. I hope what you say is not the case, that would be a much more major issue to me... luckily, I'm sure it's not.

Honestly don't think the resolution that are playing something at has a code-altering affect on gameplay. It certainly does look like you took the catcher out of the "collision animation" by running up the line towards the runner. You can see he is in his animation to hit you, but you are in your animation of running of the line.

As the previous poster stated, had you just stood still I'm betting he would of braced himself and gotten hit.

shpankey

not an idiot
Wait, so there's really no collision detection at all unless in an animation? Dear God, that sucks. I already have a major issue with games using animations to cover up all their problems and I'm not keen on having to sit aside and watch even more animations to get a game to play right. It has a real "disconnected" feel to me.

I have no problem with a collision detect setting off an animation, but to sit still so an animation can take place so a collision detection will even happen is not a good thing, imo; and I find it laughable for someone to say: 'this "issue" was you' as if I'm to blame for a game's shortcoming.

The game already has other animation issues too, like in RTTS where if you come back to the bag really late on a pick-off, you are safe b/c the first baseman sometimes sweep tags and raises and holds his glove up high to show the official he still has the ball, meanwhile you come sliding back in well behind the animation, while the ball is held high in the air... SAFE!

Core407

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I find the gap between EA Sports' titles and other sports titles is growing, especially when it comes to initial quality and online performance. Perhaps I am just majorly disappointed due to the double-whammy of poor internet performance with both Killzone 2 and MLB 09, but in the case of MLB 09 compared to games such as NHL 09 and FIFA 09, MLB is just not on the same level when it comes to initial quality. I find the absolute piss poor performance of this game online to be a major issue that unfortunately leaves me with no other choice but to return it. As someone who cherishes the mornings on weekends when I play lag free games of FIFA against my friend in Germany, I find the inability to connect with people in my same time zone with MLB to be pure incompetence and poor project management on the part of Sony San Diego. To have traffic issues and severe lag three years in a row gives me little choice but to hopefully return it and perhaps invest in something I know that will work online like Tiger Woods or Fight Night Round 4 or perhaps COD:WaW.

I played 2 online games last night that were perfect. Zero lag, felt like the guy was playing me in a split-screen game.

Top Bottom