• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Jag22

Banned
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but the demo was so good that I actually might pick up a baseball game after skipping the past few years.

mjc

I managed to find a copy today, this game seems to be the hot ticket right now. I'm looking forward to starting my season with the Brewers tonight.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I bought a PS3 because of it too. For a long time it was a lonely game, but I think they really stepped it up. I'm hard pressed to remember buying 2 games for a system I like as much at once as this and KZ.

skip

anyone else experiencing a randomly disappearing/re-appearing pitching meter line? am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug of some sort?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Man, RTTS can be so brutal. I went through a slump so bad that my controller paid the price. :lol Trust me, if you go through a slump, turn the game off and come back later. You will just get worse and worse. ARGH. We snapped out of it though and my guy is finishing up the AA season strong. :D

alanias

Jag22 said:
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but the demo was so good that I actually might pick up a baseball game after skipping the past few years.

Definitely worth it, this game is a blast.

skip said:
anyone else experiencing a randomly disappearing/re-appearing pitching meter line? am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug of some sort?

When your player has a dip in confidence his accuracy line disappears from time to time. As an over simplification, it's typicality triggered by scenarios like walking a player, bases loaded, hitting a batter, or giving up a home run amongst other things. Of course, it depends on who your pitcher is and his attributes to determine when he loses his line temporarily.

skip

Shawnwhann said:
When your player has a dip in confidence his accuracy line disappears from time to time. As an over simplification, it's typicality triggered by scenarios like walking a player, bases loaded, hitting a batter, or giving up a home run amongst other things. Of course, it depends on who your pitcher is and his attributes to determine when he loses his line temporarily.

thanks -- that was definitely my first guess.

_Angelus_

Banned
Its been a few days and I've tried to deal with this problem but I can't find a solution. I've gone through step with step with adding own own music for player intros and HR replays. It works all the time except when I play my games in Franchise mode. I never get any music here. I'll then switch to an exhibition game and boom the music plays for my batters. Anything think this is a glitch? If it is I hope they'll be a patch layed out for this,its annoying.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Angelus said:
Its been a few days and I've tried to deal with this problem but I can't find a solution. I've gone through step with step with adding own own music for player intros and HR replays. It works all the time except when I play my games in Franchise mode. I never get any music here. I'll then switch to an exhibition game and boom the music plays for my batters. Anything think this is a glitch? If it is I hope they'll be a patch layed out for this,its annoying.
you are using a different roster for Franchise. Start a franchise with the same roster as the one you play exhibition games with.

_Angelus_

Banned
Windu said:
you are using a different roster for Franchise. Start a franchise with the same roster as the one you play exhibition games with.

Its not working for Franchise,when I load up my edited rosters I get no results. If you guys are getting good results its just me then. I just was wondering if this was happening for others is all.

Kintaro said:
Man, RTTS can be so brutal. I went through a slump so bad that my controller paid the price. :lol Trust me, if you go through a slump, turn the game off and come back later. You will just get worse and worse. ARGH. We snapped out of it though and my guy is finishing up the AA season strong. :D

My controller suffered at the hands of Killzone 2 on Sunday. :( I will never break a controller again - I've learned my lesson.

Mrbob

I'll be home around 9PM central tonight if anyone wants to play online. I need more practice playing online!

Musashi Wins! said:
I bought a PS3 because of it too. For a long time it was a lonely game, but I think they really stepped it up. I'm hard pressed to remember buying 2 games for a system I like as much at once as this and KZ.

Been a good couple weeks for the PS3. There are actually about half a dozen PS3 games I want to buy...just waiting for some price drops first. I also want the PS3 blue tooth headset, but I'll wait and see if SOCOM bundle gets clearanced out on the cheap.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Sony published games take way too long to price drop. I don't know if it's because they're trying to maximize some software sales, or what.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
I'll be home around 9PM central tonight if anyone wants to play online. I need more practice playing online!

Been a good couple weeks for the PS3. There are actually about half a dozen PS3 games I want to buy...just waiting for some price drops first. I also want the PS3 blue tooth headset, but I'll wait and see if SOCOM bundle gets clearanced out on the cheap.

ENDWAR is the place to do it. For one EndWar is actually playable (generic, but you're an RTS fan) and I picked up the bundle for $40 at Best Buy after Christmas. F'ing steal.

Big-E

WOOOOOOOOOO. Finally got the time to pick this up, too bad I got a presentation due. Will try to post impressions later.

WTF? So I spend my second year in RTTS and get promoted to AAA around mid way through the season. I hit .290 while up and meet my goals twice. Next season, I'm back down in fucking AA as a none starter. WTF? It felt like all that work was for nothing. Why not just start me off with the AAA team as a non-starter.

Turned off the game I was so pissed off.

CzarTim

DoctorWho said:
WTF? So I spend my second year in RTTS and get promoted to AAA around mid way through the season. I hit .290 while up and meet my goals twice. Next season, I'm back down in fucking AA as a none starter. WTF? It felt like all that work was for nothing. Why not just start me off with the AAA team as a non-starter.

Yeah, I gave up on RTTS. The goal/point system is too aggravating.

I'm 3-3 with my All Old Guy team in Season mode (Hall of Fame difficulty, guess crap turned off). It seems this will be more difficult than last year's All Azn Guy team, but that will make it more interesting. I'm not doing too well hitting so far, but hopefully I'll get used to it. I need to be more patient. I've drawn 3 walks in 6 games... pitiful. I was able to get away with it last year, though, with a team batting average around .320 but so far I'm feeling like Cano when he's not getting base hits-- just an out machine.

Naturally, I'm being the Giants. I tried my best to have all the players be at least 40 years age, but there weren't quite enough position players. No 40+ year old catchers, had to get creative with third base, and damnit, Griffey earned my CF spot even if he's only 39.

Hometown Nine:

SS - Omar Vizquel (41)
LF - Moises Alou (42)
CF - Ken Griffey Jr. (39)
1B - Frank Thomas (40)
3B - Gary Sheffield (40) Yes, third base.
RF - Matt Stairs (41) Range.
2B - Craig Counsell (38) Too bad Kent already retired.
C - Brad Ausmus (39) Man, I can't hit with him.
P - Randy Johnson (45)

Reserve Batters

C - Mike DiFelice (39)
INF - Jason Wood (39) Had to refresh my memory on this guy. Pinch hitter supreme I'm thinking.
OF - Luis Gonzalez (41) I thought he used to be a 2B/SS coming up. Apparently not. I'd have played him there for jokes like Sheffield at 3B.
OF - So Taguchi (39) Couldn't hit with him last year and still can't, even if his contact rating is pretty good.

Rest of pitching staff (everyone's at least 40, woot!)

SP2 - Jamie Moyer (46) Seniority (age) should have earned him #1 job, but he's no Unit.
SP3 - Tom Glavine (42)
SP4 - Tim Wakefield (42) He is a pain in the ass to use, but I'm going to make myself keep using him.
SP5 - Kenny Rogers (44) DL. Got hurt before making his first start >_< *edit - NM. I accidentally sim'd a game.

RP - Russ Springer (40)
RP - Tom Gordon (41)
RP - Doug Brocail (41)
RP - Brian Shouse (40)
RP - Mike Timlin (42)
RP - Keichi Yabu (40)
SU - John Smoltz (41) Older guys got seniority in the rotation. And I doubt real Smoltz will make many starts.
CP - Trevor Hoffman (41)

Schilling sits in AAA if I get desperate. I toyed with the idea of letting myself use Contreras and El Duque since there's no way they're under 40, but decided against it.

Puck

Banned
How does this game play as an arcade/fun game?

We don't get baseball games in AU, the last one i played heavily with friends was Kenny Griffin baseball on N64. Countless hours of multiplayer action on that.

How is this for people who are new to the game?

Wickerman

Puck said:
How does this game play as an arcade/fun game?

We don't get baseball games in AU, the last one i played heavily with friends was Kenny Griffin baseball on N64. Countless hours of multiplayer action on that.

How is this for people who are new to the game?

Ken Griffin
ken-griffin-1008-lg.jpg

I don't know that guy

The Show plays like a baseball sim. From what I understand MLB 2k9 has more of an arcade style of play.

Puck

Banned
Hey, it was a long time ago.

Ken Griffey Jr baseball on N64. That was awesome.

I know that it is meant to be a sim, but how does it play with someone who hasn't played it before. ie does it take long to get used to.

bjscott05

I don't think it takes too long to get used to as long as you understand how baseball is played in general. You can pick it up pretty quickly, it just takes a long time to master.

Puck said:

I know that it is meant to be a sim, but how does it play with someone who hasn't played it before. ie does it take long to get used to.

If you don't have ADD you'll be okay. The game doesn't go out of it's way to be complicated or non-user friendly, it only seeks to replicate the difficulties of hitting a 98 mph fastball. It's the only baseball game that I know of that replicates the feeling that even the best, 45 million dollar player hits the ball successfully for a basehit only about 3 out of 10 times.

The good thing with this is that the satisfaction you get when that one good inning comes where you have runners on 2nd and 3rd and you slap the ball opposite field scoring 2 runs is unparalleled.

But other than that, it's not that the controls or the concept of the game is difficult or prohibitive to new players.

PS: A lot of people say this is one of the few sports game that was seemingly made for people that actually played baseball. It's a feeling of appreciation maybe more so than whiz-bang-ninja-cool video game excitement.

(PPS: I played this game at a friends house)

PPPS: I think I may just have to buy a damn PS3 just because of this game :(

Why o why did MLB 2k9 for 360 have to suck so much ass...

_Angelus_

Banned
Puck said:

I think you might do ok. I mean the batting is pretty easy,no bullshit cursors to have to aim on the ball,just hit X for swing contact and square for a power swing. If you wanna go sim. you can also guess at the area where the ball may be coming,whereas if you get it right you'll get a nice red hit zone to knock the hell out of the ball.

Pitching is abit different but still somewhat arcadey,that is if you play on the classic style of pitching. That being you use one of the buttons on the pad,then aim your pitch,the pitcher will throw the pitch and based on how long you held down that button,he'll throw it for more power,but the bad thing is the harder you throw it increases the chances you loose command and may hang one in the wrong area of the plate.

Running is a weird one,I mean stealing bases for individual runners that is. They have you using the L2 plus left analog stick to choose your individual runner to steal with,it takes time getting use that this area. But again pitching and batting are pretty easy to go with if you play with their options on the classic setting.

I'm not sure if a non sports gamer will pick it up right away though,it depends on your gaming skills and love for baseball maybe,sone of that will play into your enjoyment.
I play with two friends,one can't pitch for shit,the other(who is a Madden gamer) got the hang of the game and within 10 minutes and was already taking my ass on.:b

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
C- Warrior said:
I really wish I never played this game -- it was like a sample of crack to a destined crack addict.

Need.PS3.

do what i did, but one cheap on ebay that has a busted laser and replace it

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DoctorWho said:

I can feel ya there. It's kind of an instance where it gets too real. I can share some stories of a friend of mine and his escapades in AA/AAA for various MLB teams. You think it's frustrating for in game? Imagine real life. :lol

CzarTim

Has anyone made a non-18 year old for RTTS? I was wondering if there was any benefits for starting out a little older.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My RttS pitcher is hitting a slump or something. Threw a shutout and now 3 games in a row where I can barely get outs or strikes.

patsu

Is there a video guide for this game ? I need help in pitching and batting -__-

Am a baseball noob but bought the game because of its awesomeness.

How's the online in the game? I might have to pick this game up, I think a friend of mine in Washington is picking it up so it would be fun to play against him online. The game DOES have voice chat and custom soundtrack right? Wish every game had it so I wouldn't have to ask it.

CzarTim

AranhaHunter said:
How's the online in the game? I might have to pick this game up, I think a friend of mine in Washington is picking it up so it would be fun to play against him online. The game DOES have voice chat and custom soundtrack right? Wish every game had it so I wouldn't have to ask it.
Some people have reported lag, some not so much. I don't think it's as bad as last year.
It does have voice chat and custom soundtrack (music plays through the speakers of the stadium, not sure if you can just listen to a playlist.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Alex Anderson said:
I'm 3-3 with my All Old Guy team in Season mode (Hall of Fame difficulty, guess crap turned off). It seems this will be more difficult than last year's All Azn Guy team, but that will make it more interesting. I'm not doing too well hitting so far, but hopefully I'll get used to it. I need to be more patient. I've drawn 3 walks in 6 games... pitiful. I was able to get away with it last year, though, with a team batting average around .320 but so far I'm feeling like Cano when he's not getting base hits-- just an out machine.

Naturally, I'm being the Giants. I tried my best to have all the players be at least 40 years age, but there weren't quite enough position players. No 40+ year old catchers, had to get creative with third base, and damnit, Griffey earned my CF spot even if he's only 39.

Hometown Nine:

SS - Omar Vizquel (41)
LF - Moises Alou (42)
CF - Ken Griffey Jr. (39)
1B - Frank Thomas (40)
3B - Gary Sheffield (40) Yes, third base.
RF - Matt Stairs (41) Range.
2B - Craig Counsell (38) Too bad Kent already retired.
C - Brad Ausmus (39) Man, I can't hit with him.
P - Randy Johnson (45)

Reserve Batters

C - Mike DiFelice (39)
INF - Jason Wood (39) Had to refresh my memory on this guy. Pinch hitter supreme I'm thinking.
OF - Luis Gonzalez (41) I thought he used to be a 2B/SS coming up. Apparently not. I'd have played him there for jokes like Sheffield at 3B.
OF - So Taguchi (39) Couldn't hit with him last year and still can't, even if his contact rating is pretty good.

Rest of pitching staff (everyone's at least 40, woot!)

SP2 - Jamie Moyer (46) Seniority (age) should have earned him #1 job, but he's no Unit.
SP3 - Tom Glavine (42)
SP4 - Tim Wakefield (42) He is a pain in the ass to use, but I'm going to make myself keep using him.
SP5 - Kenny Rogers (44) DL. Got hurt before making his first start >_< *edit - NM. I accidentally sim'd a game.

RP - Russ Springer (40)
RP - Tom Gordon (41)
RP - Doug Brocail (41)
RP - Brian Shouse (40)
RP - Mike Timlin (42)
RP - Keichi Yabu (40)
SU - John Smoltz (41) Older guys got seniority in the rotation. And I doubt real Smoltz will make many starts.
CP - Trevor Hoffman (41)

Schilling sits in AAA if I get desperate. I toyed with the idea of letting myself use Contreras and El Duque since there's no way they're under 40, but decided against it.

Haha, that's so great. I love this idea. I wonder how many injuries you get.

I played MrBob last night. He's a cheeser who uses Ted Lilley :lol but I don't think our lag was too bad. I even had a check swing at one point. It's definitely not perfect but I can live with this.

Mrbob

Next time we play I will turn guess pitch off and no hit you with Lilly! :lol

I've been practicing hitting the corners with his curve ball in this game. The way his curve drops is ridiculous...it looks like a ball and then it hooks into the strike zone at the very end! Crafty vet!

Captain N

i am playing as a 2nd baseman right now in RTTS and its a lot of fun so far. I kind of want to play as the pitcher now...is it fun to be the pitcher?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Captain N said:
i am playing as a 2nd baseman right now in RTTS and its a lot of fun so far. I kind of want to play as the pitcher now...is it fun to be the pitcher?

It is in that you work a lot in a game (unless you do relief). But honestly it's almost too much doing nothing but pitching. I have an awesome minor league career going.

Mrbob

Oh and I can't hit worth a damn right now online. I have 11 runs scored in 4 games now (7 in one game), struggling. :/ I keep on hitting the ball early, need to be more patient.

Also, I don't know if I like how this game has accurately handled Soriano's fielding ability. Dude is giving me just as much aggro in game attempting to field fly balls as I get from watching him attempt to catch fly balls in real life!

Don't let Mushashi fool you...he beasted me last night. :( I believe I've lost by a combined score of 17-2 now between playing Mushashi and Eznark, not good! :lol Ego bruised!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Puck said:

If you have a friend that you can play with locally it is awesome. I'm guessing that you can find noob players online as well.

I couldnt beat the computer to save my life on veteran difficulty but my buddy (yankees fan) came over last night and I pounded him 6-1 with the braves.

We had a blast though, the player model for jeter is uncanny.

edit--Mrbob I think we should play, I am awful...might restore your confidence

Mrbob

Yeah we can play sometime. Anyone wants to play MLB here is my PSN id:

MrBob2k7

Can't play right now, but I'll always be game for new challengers!

shpankey

not an idiot
Why is he a cheeser b/c of Lilly? Lilly is fun as hell to pitch with, so many good pitches to work with. Last night in my franchise, I stretched Lilly out 7 full innings (the last inning and 2/3'rds I had to dial his pitches up max) and brought in Marmol in the 8th b/c my setup guy was gassed. Holy shit, I'm thinking of brining Marmol into every game in the 8th inning... fucking A he's untouchable. :lol I mean, I was straight up CLOWNING batters with his stuff. 98mph + fastball and a change and curve and sinker and slider. It was hilarious. :D

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
shpankey said:
Why is he a cheeser b/c of Lilly? Lilly is fun as hell to pitch with, so many good pitches to work with. Last night in my franchise, I stretched Lilly out 7 full innings (the last inning and 2/3'rds I had to dial his pitches up max) and brought in Marmol in the 8th b/c my setup guy was gassed. Holy shit, I'm thinking of brining Marmol into every game in the 8th inning... fucking A he's untouchable. :lol I mean, I was straight up CLOWNING batters with his stuff. 98mph + fastball and a change and curve and sinker and slider. It was hilarious. :D

I was kidding, I just swing early in the game so Lilley is a beast with his fastball and breaking stuff looking so similar. Plus, I tend to start my same number starter as the challenger so it meant taking him on with Edwin Jackson who I loathe. It's okay, I chased Lilley out of there finally :lol

Core407

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
I was kidding, I just swing early in the game so Lilley is a beast with his fastball and breaking stuff looking so similar. Plus, I tend to start my same number starter as the challenger so it meant taking him on with Edwin Jackson who I loathe. It's okay, I chased Lilley out of there finally :lol

With breaking balls, it's all about where they come in. Chin high drop right into the zone. Anything at the waist will generally be a ball. I thought the increase in bat swing would make those pitches less prone to be swung at but people still go after 'em.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Core407 said:
With breaking balls, it's all about where they come in. Chin high drop right into the zone. Anything at the waist will generally be a ball. I thought the increase in bat swing would make those pitches less prone to be swung at but people still go after 'em.

I'm certainly guilty of that at times. I got a lot more patient as the game went on. But he has a massive slider too which complicates with his release point. Some of these guys can hit corners and lines pretty well too which can be hard to judge. Really, I agree with you it's learning to sit back on the pitch with the speed compensating, but I'm still learning so I tend to swing early.

skip

I'm a complete sucker for low breaking balls. even when I recognize them in BP, I can't help but take a whack at it, pedro cerrano style.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Oh and I can't hit worth a damn right now online. I have 11 runs scored in 4 games now (7 in one game), struggling. :/ I keep on hitting the ball early, need to be more patient.

Also, I don't know if I like how this game has accurately handled Soriano's fielding ability. Dude is giving me just as much aggro in game attempting to field fly balls as I get from watching him attempt to catch fly balls in real life!

Don't let Mushashi fool you...he beasted me last night. :( I believe I've lost by a combined score of 17-2 now between playing Mushashi and Eznark, not good! :lol Ego bruised!

Don't forget my 18 hits!

I also still stink at low breaking pitches, but I'm hitting the cages to work on that.

Skip, what's your experience been with Hoffman? I refuse to use him online now because his stuff just isn't impressive. I usually use McClung or Villy in the 9th.

Top Bottom