• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Wickerman

Puck said:
Hey, it was a long time ago.

Ken Griffey Jr baseball on N64. That was awesome.

I know that it is meant to be a sim, but how does it play with someone who hasn't played it before. ie does it take long to get used to.

I forgot that there was a Ken Griffey game for N64. I thought that you talking about "Winning Run" on SNES. Now that game fun.

Hey Bob I'm going to add you on PSN.

skip

eznark said:
Skip, what's your experience been with Hoffman? I refuse to use him online now because his stuff just isn't impressive. I usually use McClung or Villy in the 9th.

only used him once so far in the 9th. walk, base hit, pop out, then he settled down and induced a game-ending DP. not very impressed with that one outing.

eznark

Banned
skip said:
only used him once so far in the 9th. walk, base hit, pop out, then he settled down and induced a game-ending DP. not very impressed with that one outing.

I think the problem really lies in games where guess pitch is on. He has two pitches, which make him a liability. I hate getting into games where guess pitch is on.

Mifune

Mehmber
RTTS this year is just about the most addictive thing ever. The addition of batting practice to boost your stats is tremendous.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Player Face Comparisons: 2K9 vs The Show - Pasta Padre

2k9 (LEFT) - 09 (RIGHT)

Daisuke Matsuzaka:

2dtvc7p.jpg

Prince Fielder:

25qyate.jpg

Ken Griffey Jr:

1zh1t10.jpg

Matt Holliday:

mr2zvr.jpg

Randy Johnson:

rtqo9c.jpg

Francisco Rodriguez:

2zzmhr7.jpg

Cliff Lee:

muzsrc.jpg

Manny Ramirez:

152e5gx.jpg

Albert Pujols:

whit06.jpg

Vladimir Guerrero:

1zp4dph.jpg

Windu said:

2k9 (LEFT) - 09 (RIGHT)

Daisuke Matsuzaka:

2dtvc7p.jpg

Prince Fielder:

25qyate.jpg

Ken Griffey Jr:

1zh1t10.jpg

Matt Holliday:

mr2zvr.jpg

Randy Johnson:

rtqo9c.jpg

Francisco Rodriguez:

2zzmhr7.jpg

Cliff Lee:

muzsrc.jpg

Manny Ramirez:

152e5gx.jpg

Albert Pujols:

whit06.jpg

Vladimir Guerrero:

1zp4dph.jpg
and the show wins every single comparison there imo. :lol at 2k9 griffey.

Mrbob

It isn't so much the models (few in 2k are lulz worthy cliff lee!) but the lighting in the show is just amazing. Really gives the visuals that extra pop effect in both pictures and especially when you are playing in game.

shpankey said:
Why is he a cheeser b/c of Lilly? Lilly is fun as hell to pitch with, so many good pitches to work with.

I haven't faced Lilly yet, but soft tossing lefties piss me off in general. I can't hit 'em for shit. Last time I played online some dude picked Jamie Moyer over Cole Hamels and I was legitimately disappointed. :lol

Hey fellas, is it too late to join the league? Im down if there's a spot open.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Mrbob said:
It isn't so much the models (few in 2k are lulz worthy cliff lee!) but the lighting in the show is just amazing. Really gives the visuals that extra pop effect in both pictures and especially when you are playing in game.

What resolution do yall play in?

I think it looks fantastic in 1080p when you stretch out the screen. It says it's optimized for 720p but 1080p looks fabulous.

Mrbob

Oh yeah I play it in 1080P as well. Looks great and runs well.

It isn't hard to sit in awe at the visuals in this title during a play or even during a replay. So many animations have been created for this game it is poetry in motion for a sports title.

I had a no hitter going with Marshall in my franchise last night through 7. Soriano came up to the plate and smashed a ball that went off the 2nd basemans glove zoomed up high into the outfield and the right fielder went to make a diving catch and he hit off his glove too for double. I tried getting a replay of this and my game locked up, losing the awesome double no catch and the no hitter. :(

ChrisGoldstein said:
I think it looks fantastic in 1080p when you stretch out the screen. It says it's optimized for 720p but 1080p looks fabulous.
I don't have the game yet, so I'm interested in this part. The past versions were 1080p compatible, but there were massive framerate disparity between both resolutions. But if it doesn't bother MrBob now it should be ok.

shpankey

not an idiot
Mrbob said:
THIS!! Holy shit this. The lighting in this game just destroy's any game I've seen yet... it's almost unfair for The Show to have it and everyone else not b/c it makes such a dramatic difference. I only wish other devs (of every genre) could learn how to do this lighting. I wonder if it's specific to the cell too? I'd love to see this kind of amazing lighting on 360 titles too.

Bob, add me too if there's a spot. I know you have the Cubs so I'll take best available that's left.

Windu

WasabiKing said:
I don't have the game yet, so I'm interested in this part. The past versions were 1080p compatible, but there were massive framerate disparity between both resolutions. But if it doesn't bother MrBob now it should be ok.
Runs much better in 1080p this year.

Sanjuro

anddo0 said:
Just threw my first shutout with Johan Santana. I scattered 8 hits over 9 (all singles) :D
I had some good luck the other day. Had 2 complete game shutouts with Dice-K and Lester. I would have never been able to pull that off with his counterpart

Jon Les2k

ek4ac5.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
skip said:
I'm a complete sucker for low breaking balls. even when I recognize them in BP, I can't help but take a whack at it, pedro cerrano style.

Same here. The commentary always makes me feel like even more of a fool after swinging at a pitch that ends up in the dirt.

Big-E

dskillzhtown said:
Same here. The commentary always makes me feel like even more of a fool after swinging at a pitch that ends up in the dirt.

Inside pitches are my kryptonite. I will always swing at anything inside even if its almost hitting me. I make contact but its always poor contact.

Mifune said:
RTTS this year is just about the most addictive thing ever. The addition of batting practice to boost your stats is tremendous.

I've played for two seasons and I'm still not in the majors. :(

anddo0

Just started my RTTS as a CF. I got drafted by the Rangers :( I'm off to a good start though 2-3 2-singles and 2-rbi. I struck out my second at bat. We won the first game, hope my hot hitting continues. I don't like the Rangers at all! hoping for a trade.

eznark

Banned
Completely unplayable online for anyone else tonight? I just tried playing my buddy three blocks away and we got constant traffic delays.

Windu said:

2k9 (LEFT) - 09 (RIGHT)

Manny Ramirez:

152e5gx.jpg

Vladimir Guerrero:

1zp4dph.jpg

That doesn't look like Manny at all, and Vlad is too light skinned on "The Show".

Torgo

bryehn said:
Why is the World Baseball Classic not in this game? It's a million times better than traditional spring training.

Oh, plus...Go Canada!!!

Mainly because of licensing. The dev team addressed this question in the interview that we did on our show a couple of weeks ago.

shpankey

not an idiot
This game is going to be the death of me. I get home from work, pop it in, tell my wife only one quick game, she laughs all the way to the bedroom knowing that's not going to happen. I tell myself, I will show her... this time I mean it, one game and off it goes. I now look-up to the clock on the wall, it's 1:45am, at the end of my 4th straight game... somehow, I managed to eat while playing I suppose b/c I'm not hungry, but all I can remember are fastball's and double plays! :lol

Big-E

shpankey said:
This game is going to be the death of me. I get home from work, pop it in, tell my wife only one quick game, she laughs all the way to the bedroom knowing that's not going to happen. I tell myself, I will show her... this time I mean it, one game and off it goes. I now look-up to the clock on the wall, it's 1:45am, at the end of my 4th straight game... somehow, I managed to eat while playing I suppose b/c I'm not hungry, but all I can remember are fastball's and double plays! :lol

I was working on a presentation yesterday and I said I would play only one measly spring training game in RTTS. Ended up playing through all of March and April and have to present in a few hours. Oh well it was fun at least.

Wizman23

Banned
Geeze....when I see those close ups of the player comparisons it makes me realize that we are still a few generations away from making the players look likr their real selves. They are getting close, but still have a long, LONG way to go.

shpankey

not an idiot
They could make them look much closer. In basketball games they do... I just think in baseball it's not really something they try too hard to do since it's rare you see them except in cut-scene close-ups. In the field of play, you can't even tell, unlike in the NBA games you can recognize faces while playing so they try harder.

eznark

Banned
Griffey looks like shit in that picture, but I just played as the Mariners and when he is in his stance at the plate...picture perfect.

Windu

Just played my first online game. (exibition). It was laggy but still playable. My oppenent, of course picked the Yankees. I picked the Braves. Pettite vs. Lowe in ATL. I had a perfect game going into I believe the 6th inning, Cano broke it up with a bloop single to LF. The guy I was playing was horrible at batting (so am I, but damn he was bad.). I kept throwing sinkers and changeups and maybe a few fastballs low and into the dirt. He kept on swinging. A couple times he would lay off so I would then throw a fastball up high and then he would swing at that. He of course went back to swinging at stuff low and away, and in the dirt the rest of the game. I faced the mininum through nine. Only had like 60 something pitches thrown (Lowe 9.0) He had about 85. (Pettite 8.1)

Anyway, we get to the bottom of the ninth. Still no score in the game. I think Lowe led off and somehow got out. So there was one out with Kelly Johnson coming to the plate. He hits a single to right field to get on base.

Kelly Johnson - Single to Right (VIDEO)

So with Kelly on 1st and me being a horrible hitter, I decide to take a chance and steal. Sure enough, I was safe.

Kelly Johnson - Steals 2nd. (VIDEO)

Yunel Escobar, who was up at bat at the time, watches the next pitch go to the backstop. So Kelly moves to third on the wild pitch with still only one out. I was having no luck hitting the ball, so I thought a sqeeze might work. But he decides to Intentionally walk Yunel. So I thought the guy was smart, he was going to walk the bases loaded to set up a force at every base. Wrong. He decides to pitch to the next batter. Chipper, lol. So what do I do? Suicide squeeze to win the game 1-0.

Chipper Jones - Bunt (VIDEO)

http://mlb09ps3html-prod.sc.online.scea.com/MLB09/game/game_results_web.php?GameID=164295

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Try playing some night games...see if it helps.

Last night around this time was unplayable. This afternoon was actually pretty good despite the connection indicator saying it was bad.

Mrbob and I had a pretty much perfectly lag free game last week. I thought they had their issues sorted out at that point.

Mrbob

Yeah the connection indicator doesn't mean much. It can be green and it lags...it can be red and the game is smooth. Or something between.

Try choosing to play the game at night. For some reason last year the game ran better online in night games than day games. Might be due to not having to do as much lighting work.

Time to play all my games online at night again.

Windu

The Frankman said:
First off, I NEVER would let you have that lead. RIDICULOUS. 2) If he's the Yanks and doesn't bring Chamberlain or Rivera in that situatiuon God help him. :lol
yeah I had a huge lead. And it was Kelly Johnson, so I probably would have been picked off. I'm surprised I didn't get my ass kicked though, if it was anyone else I probably would have, I'm not too good at this game.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I have a hard time playing sports games with strangers. People are too involved in winning, all sorts of bad cheese. ie. Add me Windu.

eznark

Banned
Just played an awesome game, almost lag free. Won 6-1 Nats v. Rangers. I was editing a video replay to send to my buddy afterwards and the game crashed out. Kicked me back to the XMB.

Strange.

2real4tv

Windu said:
Just played my first online game. (exibition). It was laggy but still playable. My oppenent, of course picked the Yankees. I picked the Braves. Pettite vs. Lowe in ATL. I had a perfect game going into I believe the 6th inning, Cano broke it up with a bloop single to LF. The guy I was playing was horrible at batting (so am I, but damn he was bad.). I kept throwing sinkers and changeups and maybe a few fastballs low and into the dirt. He kept on swinging. A couple times he would lay off so I would then throw a fastball up high and then he would swing at that. He of course went back to swinging at stuff low and away, and in the dirt the rest of the game. I faced the mininum through nine. Only had like 60 something pitches thrown (Lowe 9.0) He had about 85. (Pettite 8.1)

Anyway, we get to the bottom of the ninth. Still no score in the game. I think Lowe led off and somehow got out. So there was one out with Kelly Johnson coming to the plate. He hits a single to right field to get on base.

Kelly Johnson - Single to Right (VIDEO)

So with Kelly on 1st and me being a horrible hitter, I decide to take a chance and steal. Sure enough, I was safe.

Kelly Johnson - Steals 2nd. (VIDEO)

Yunel Escobar, who was up at bat at the time, watches the next pitch go to the backstop. So Kelly moves to third on the wild pitch with still only one out. I was having no luck hitting the ball, so I thought a sqeeze might work. But he decides to Intentionally walk Yunel. So I thought the guy was smart, he was going to walk the bases loaded to set up a force at every base. Wrong. He decides to pitch to the next batter. Chipper, lol. So what do I do? Suicide squeeze to win the game 1-0.

Chipper Jones - Bunt (VIDEO)

http://mlb09ps3html-prod.sc.online.scea.com/MLB09/game/game_results_web.php?GameID=164295

nice

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
AranhaHunter said:
That doesn't look like Manny at all, and Vlad is too light skinned on "The Show".

The Show's Manny is awesome.. All the way down to the do-rag and the dirty helmet.

Man this game is so damn hawt. Every year they just get better and better. I drafted a great hitting team but man do my starters suck and I pay for it in the 4th and 5th innings all the time..

Also did anyone catch the shot out to operation sports and "the little things thread"?

Awesome work

Musashi Wins! said:
I bought a PS3 because of it too. For a long time it was a lonely game, but I think they really stepped it up. I'm hard pressed to remember buying 2 games for a system I like as much at once as this and KZ.

you and me both

Top Bottom