• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Drek

bryehn said:
Why is the World Baseball Classic not in this game? It's a million times better than traditional spring training.

Oh, plus...Go Canada!!!
Different event they'd have to license and a ton of work would be required to make national teams for a bunch of countries with very few MLers on their roster?

bryehn

Drek said:
Different event they'd have to license and a ton of work would be required to make national teams for a bunch of countries with very few MLers on their roster?

I'm pretty sure MLB runs the tournament though, licensing really wouldn't be a huge issue at all. Plus isn't the whole idea of the WBC to promote baseball that isn't MLB, like the Japanese and Korean leagues? The hockey and soccer games have tons and tons of international teams and The Show has Minor League Baseball already...

I really hope we see this in '10.

Dragon

Banned
bryehn said:
I'm pretty sure MLB runs the tournament though, licensing really wouldn't be a huge issue at all. Plus isn't the whole idea of the WBC to promote baseball that isn't MLB, like the Japanese and Korean leagues? The hockey and soccer games have tons and tons of international teams and The Show has Minor League Baseball already...

I really hope we see this in '10.

Dude it's the WBC, it's a joke. There are numerous rules against using pitchers certain ways. It's like an All Star game. I'm all for improving a product, but I'd rather they use that time and money on something that's broken like the online or the numerous bugs in this year's version.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
TheBranca18 said:
Dude it's the WBC, it's a joke. There are numerous rules against using pitchers certain ways. It's like an All Star game. I'm all for improving a product, but I'd rather they use that time and money on something that's broken like the online or the numerous bugs in this year's version.
Seriously. Id much rather they focus on improving whats there (e.g. online, refining gameplay, graphics, etc.) Adding the WBC would be alot of work and licensing bullshit for something that would not add anything to the experience and moreso no one gives a shit about.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I think it's just that Americans don't give a crap about the WBC. Maybe if the Americans make the finals. We're all more glued to our team's news in spring training.

It was in the 06 2k game, but that game wasn't that great either so...

Mrbob

Yeah, the WBC is a joke. Horrible idea by Bud Selig. Winning it means nothing. I want a world series ring instead, and none of the cubs players getting hurt during the WBC.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Mrbob said:
Yeah, the WBC is a joke. Horrible idea by Bud Selig. Winning it means nothing. I want a world series ring instead, and not to get shat on by Manny and the Dodgers in the playoffs again

Mrbob

I agree, it was horribly embarrassing losing to such a mediocre team as the Dodgers. Just goes to show how big of a choke job the Cubs did last October. Hence my avatar until they win a playoff series!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
bryehn said:
Why is the World Baseball Classic not in this game? It's a million times better than traditional spring training.

Oh, plus...Go Canada!!!
they don't have the rights to do it.

Windu

Real Player Walk Up Music (Amplified and Grouped in 3s)

Well, I FINALLY finished my "grouping project". First, I gotta thank Skyboxer, dmrich28, and all the other guys who put these files together. It took me two days just to organize them, group them, and boost their volumes. I can only imagine how long it took to actually make clips for this many players.

I wanted to organize the clips in a way that was both sensible in terms of the game, and in terms of what people would want. The clips are arranged in divisional order, starting with the AL East - AL West, and then the NL East - NL West. This is the exact format you're given when editing the rosters in The Show.

Hopefully, that provides for a bit easier implementation. Each team is given its own number (01 = BAL, 02 = BOS, 03 = NYY, etc.) and the players are grouped by pitcher and batter within their team listing. I wanted to do this to give people as much flexibility as possible. Now, you can do all hitters, all pitchers, favorite teams, division, league, etc. As I mentioned, I boosted the volume for every clip that needed it, so everything comes through nice and loud now.

After you download the file, unzip it, and copy the main folder to your flash drive. Once you've got it in your PS3, highlight your flash drive, and press Triangle. Then select, "display all". This will allow you to view the individual folders inside. The "Groups of 3" folder is where most of the players are. Copy this folder to your PS3's hard drive. Since most teams didn't have an even number of clips divisible by 3, there were some left over players on each team. These extra players can be found in the...you guessed it, "Extra Players" folder. Copy that folder to your PS3 hard drive. The final folder is just some players that had music that have either retired or are still free agents. I haven't done anything with these files, but I included them, so they're available in case any of those guys sign.

Once you have everything copied to your PS3, go into the game. Select the "My MLB Music" option, and add the files to your custom playlist. You're still limited to 240 files, but now that number gets you three times as far. Once you've done this, now comes the boring part. You have to go into "Sounds of the Show" and select "Music Editor". Now, select one of your tracks and drop the 2nd and 3rd markers at the beginning of the 2nd and 3rd clips of the file. It's a tedious process, but it'll get quicker once you get the hang of it. Even so, I'd recommend doing only one or two teams a day so you don't get sick of it. The good news is, none of this is tied to a roster, so once you do it...IT'S DONE!

Once you've added your markers, go back and select "Edit Players". Find your team, select your player, and press R1 until you get the music options page. From here, you can change the walk up music, homerun music, and reliever music. Select the appropriate option, and be sure to pick the correct starting marker for the player you're editing. Do as many players/teams as you'd like, and have a blast with it! (And don't forget to check the "Extra Players" folder for any players you may be missing!) Having these songs for all these players makes the game much more enjoyable to me.

My only gripes about the pack is that a few of the clips are so short, that when you group them, you get some bleed in from the next song. There's really only a couple songs like that though, so it's not a huge problem...just mildly annoying. Also, I wish we would have had a player song database so we could cross reference which players use the same music. This would have allowed us to include more players, by sharing clips among them. I actually attempted to do this myself, but with 900 players to keep track of, it just became way too cumbersome. I'm really nitpicking with those issues though, as the overall pack is great! I hope you guys enjoy it!

http://www.operationsports.com/foru...layer-walk-up-music-amplified-grouped-3s.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q29WAAUY

Drek

So I've been tinkering with FA compensation/FA some this morning and the only conclusion I can draw is that its just a really buggy setup.

Example:

Did another franchise, signed Ben Sheets to a one year deal to start the season. Sim through it all, and come FA my Type A and B FAs are as follows:

Type A
Jason Bay
Josh Beckett
Ben Sheets

Type B
Josh Bard
Jason Varitek

I offer all of them arbitration and extend multi-year deals to Bay, Beckett, and Sheets.

Of the five only Varitek accepted arbitration, everyone else signed with other teams.

My FA signings were:
Carl Crawford - not tendered arbitration
Rich Harden - not tendered arbitration
Erik Bedard - Type B

Come the next year's draft I have my pick in the first round (29th), the 12th and 22nd (final pick) in the sandwich, 7th and 29th in the second. None of these picks line up with the teams that signed my players since Beckett went to the White Sox (picking #14th, so I should have gotten the 14th in the 2nd round), Sheets went to Arizona (picking 25th, so I should have gotten their 1st), and Bay went to back to Pit (picking 1st, so their second).

That should have totaled up to one compensatory first, four sandwiches (three for the Type A's and a late one for Bard) and two compensatory seconds. Instead I got just two sandwiches and a second.

The reason I assume this is caused by a bug is because while Beckett signing with another team prompted me with a notification that he was no longer considering my offer and had moved on, Sheets and Bay simply signed with other teams without a single pop up to notify me of their decision. A similar phenomenon happened when I had an offer out to Cliff Lee. It was the best offer he had but then suddenly not only was he not on my FA offers list, he wasn't anywhere to be found in the game. I haven't gone looking for him again after the off-season to see if he just "stealth" signed with someone or if he got deleted from the game entirely, but odd none the less.

I'm assuming that these "stealth" signings basically void out any arbitration details (maybe more) and hence I only received compensation for losing Beckett (sandwich and a 2nd) and Bard (sandwich).

EDIT:
Also, does anyone know how I can force the game to 1080p? I have a Pioneer Kuro and my PS3 outputs at 1080p the entire time until I boot up MLB '09 the Show then it suddenly switches over to 720p and I haven't found an option in any menus yet that let me set it to 1080p.

Windu

Drek said:
Also, does anyone know how I can force the game to 1080p? I have a Pioneer Kuro and my PS3 outputs at 1080p the entire time until I boot up MLB '09 the Show then it suddenly switches over to 720p and I haven't found an option in any menus yet that let me set it to 1080p.
Deselect 720p in your PS3 settings.

Drek said:
EDIT:

You have to disable 720p and 1080i in the XMB to get your 1080p resolution.

Sucks, but that's the only workaround I know of.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Either its really hard to hit in this game or I just really suck

I'm 95 percent sure I just really suck.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
shpankey said:
I love the WBC. How can you not enjoy that USA-Can game just now? You have no pulse. Holy crap.

Same here. As I said in the OT, alot of baseball fans are fans of "teams", not the actual sport. The WBC is baseball, very good baseball. The first 2 games today were great and played at a high level for the most part.

CB3, look at shpankey's post about slider adjustments. The game has a learning curve for hitting. I moved pitch speed once to the left instead of twice and moved up the contact slider over to the right one extra move. It still is challenging, but it isn't a disaster like it was before.

Core407

Banned
Oh my GAWD!!! I just no hit someone while playing online. I had a perfect game going until the last batter and Damon walked on a ball a little high. Managed to get Jeter on a fucking rocket hit down the first baseline. I was so nervous, I thought it was going to get passed my 1b but I got it! WOW.

030709184400.jpg

WOO!

Core407

Banned
Linkzg said:
I suck so bad at batting in this game it's ridiculous.

What is your issue? Is it timing or just knowing the zone? I have a rule where I take 95% of first pitches. I'd say more than 50% of those pitches are going to be balls and then I'll usually take the 2nd pitch which may be a ball. Then you're in the drivers seat and can look for a fastball. Depending on how the person is pitching me, I might take it too or just sit on a pitch.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm not hitting as well this year. Or rather, I'm hitting for less power. I still guess a lot of zones and pitches though. Really, my main problem is swinging early. I just think it plays a much harder, real game of ball out of the box. I'm going to spend some time in the practice mode. That's pretty cool anyway. My numbers are still good in most box scores, so maybe I was just overpowered last year.

Core407 said:
What is your issue? Is it timing or just knowing the zone? I have a rule where I take 95% of first pitches. I'd say more than 50% of those pitches are going to be balls and then I'll usually take the 2nd pitch which may be a ball. Then you're in the drivers seat and can look for a fastball. Depending on how the person is pitching me, I might take it too or just sit on a pitch.

yeah, it's just generally knowing where the ball will be that I'm shit at. Like, sometimes I see an obvious low ball, but then it's a strike and I'm left confused. And I can't even land a power hit at all.

Core407

Banned
Linkzg said:
yeah, it's just generally knowing where the ball will be that I'm shit at. Like, sometimes I see an obvious low ball, but then it's a strike and I'm left confused. And I can't even land a power hit at all.

Do the batting practice and pick specific pitches to take. Just watch the pitch to get used to what they look like. People generally swing at curve balls that are knee high cause it looks like its going to stay a strike but it'll drop. If a curve is thrown chin high, it'll fall chest high and is for the gettin.

It's weird. People are complaining about timing a lot now even though they've got a lot more time to swing at balls since they increased the bat swing. Still, a 97mph fastball will require a quick swing but an 89mph fastball you have to pause a second or two for. I love the sense of speed in the pitches, really makes things a lot harder or easier, depending on how you play .

Mrbob

Musashi Wins! said:
I'm not hitting as well this year. Or rather, I'm hitting for less power. I still guess a lot of zones and pitches though. Really, my main problem is swinging early. I just think it plays a much harder, real game of ball out of the box. I'm going to spend some time in the practice mode. That's pretty cool anyway. My numbers are still good in most box scores, so maybe I was just overpowered last year.

Yeah, I've had the same issue but for some reason I'm crushing the ball with Milton Bradley.

464 average and 3 homers in the last two games.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mrbob said:
Yeah, I've had the same issue but for some reason I'm crushing the ball with Milton Bradley.

464 average and 3 homers in the last two games.

Yea, I'm having all star seasons with Adam Everett and R. Santiago :lol

Mrbob

Just finished off a sweep of the Brewers at Miller Park in my franchise. I guess the game truly is realistic after all! :lol

Zambrano and Gallardo starting...low scoring game, correct? This is why I love baseball it is unpredictable at times! I ended up winning the game 8 to 7 in extra innings! The Brew Crew were up 3 to 1 in the top 6th when Milton came up to the plate and inched out a single:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sEADXQOXgc

Fielder ends up arguing after the play, hilarious. :lol

This is important, because the next batter up is Ramirez and he ends up taking Gallardo out of the park to tie the game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sBKW7T-yNE

Big Z loses it though, and ends up giving up a solo home run and a two run homer in the bottom 6th and the Brewers take a 6-3 lead. Six innings and six earned runs given up for Z...not good. Score stays 6 to 3 until Soto comes up with two on in the to 8th and on a 2-0 count crushes a 3 run homer to tie the game at 6. I was waiting on the 2-0 fastball and I got it!

Game goes to extra innings, Fukudome hits a home run to go up 7 to 6 in the top of the 10th, and then Craig Counsel leads off the battom 10th and hits a solo shot to tie the game at 7. :-/ The score stays that way until the top of the 12th when Ramirez steps up to the plate again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FiytaavlSA

Barely gets it over the wall and the cubbies are on top again! In the Bottom 12th the Brewers have a runner at 2nd with two outs and of all people the ball goes towards soriano for the final out. Here is what happens!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT3tOn-l0c4

It looks like he lost the ball in the sun and almost misjudged the ball at the end of the game. :lol So close to being a tie game again thanks to him but he does hold on and I take the win and the sweep! :D Nice bounce back since I lost 2 of 3 in houston.

CzarTim

I'm playing RTTS as a SS. I was doing great on hitting (almost a .400 after 10 games.) Then I hit a really bad cold streak, I'm down to a .295. Don't know what happened. :(

Edit: 5 games now without a hit, now the coach keeps pulling me out when I go 0 for 3. I went from thinking I may go straight to the pros (they kept putting me in to PH on games I didn't start) to wondering if they'll just say GTFO.

czartim said:
I'm playing RTTS as a SS. I was doing great on hitting (almost a .400 after 10 games.) Then I hit a really bad cold streak, I'm down to a .295. Don't know what happened. :(

Edit: 5 games now without a hit, now the coach keeps pulling me out when I go 0 for 3. I went from thinking I may go straight to the pros (they kept putting me in to PH on games I didn't start) to wondering if they'll just say GTFO.

Yeah, it seems like you go through more hot/cold streaks this year in RTTS. So frustrating, but so gratifying...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
my AA pitcher just got on starting rotation...weee lol. Im still on trading block though even after making all star game :(

shpankey

not an idiot
Bob, how are you doing with Lilly? I had 7 no hit innings with him... he was hitting his spots and has such a good variety of pitches I had the Brewers hitters all screwed up.

If only his fastball was better.

Bog

Junior Ace
Is there any way to change your position in RTTS? Why's it let you choose a secondary?

Mrbob

shpankey said:
Bob, how are you doing with Lilly? I had 7 no hit innings with him... he was hitting his spots and has such a good variety of pitches I had the Brewers hitters all screwed up.

If only his fastball was better.

He is 1-1 now. His era is in the low 2s. His first game I gave up 2 runs in 6 2/3 took the loss. Last game he gave up 1 run in 7 1/3 and got the win. His curveball is deadly in the game...if you mix in his fastball around his curve it is tough for hitters to catch up. His curve makes his fastball look better.

I just finished another Franchise game against the Rockies. Defeated them 5 to 4. Marmol almost blew a 5 to 3 lead in the 9th...gave up a run and with a runner at 2nd and two outs finally made the last out to hold onto the game!

Unfortunately, I just found my one semi major disappointment with the title. You probably don't care if you aren't a Cubs fan, but check out this home run that was hit in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6363GeznaA

It looks like there is a clipping issue with the wrigley field basket. Look at how the ball just bounces off it like its a regular wall. :/ Either that or the basket is just a 2D texture. If anything that ball should have hit the bottom of the basket and been a double. Disappointing to see considering how polished the stadiums look. Hopefully San Diego fixes this next year!

Sanjuro

Not being a Sony MLB vet my hitting is atrocious. I haven't played an online game yet without lag and Jacoby retired after my first season in franchise mode. :(

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Just got mine, I played the show and 2k demos for about 4 hours yesterday.

I went with the show because it has better pitching.

Anyway when are roster updates coming? I really need Garret Anderson in my lineup.

If anyone wants a friendly game my gamertag is AndresON777, I dont use my mic though so I hope you dont mind

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bog said:
Is there any way to change your position in RTTS? Why's it let you choose a secondary?

It's an option in the interactions screen (where you talk to your manager).

Mrbob

ChrisGoldstein said:
Just got mine, I played the show and 2k demos for about 4 hours yesterday.

I went with the show because it has better pitching.

Anyway when are roster updates coming? I really need Garret Anderson in my lineup.

If anyone wants a friendly game my gamertag is AndresON777, I dont use my mic though so I hope you dont mind

A roster update just went up a couple days ago. Usually sony does one every week or so. At least they did last year.

Go online through sports connect and it will prompt you to download the new rosters which you can save.

BP mode is godsend. Ive always been pretty average at hitting in this series, and it took just a few sessions to reveal some of the things Ive been doing wrong. For example, it showed my tendency to pull back on the L stick before a pitch, leading to poor coverage on the upper part of the zone. I always had my thumb pressed down like I was playing an action game, but I found this was initiating my bad reflex. Now I just lightly hover and only flick in a direction when I spot the release point. Its improved my contact ten fold.

Speaking of release points, I wasn't picking up the ball as quickly or consistently as I should. BP really underlined this for me. Obviously the earlier you spot the ball, the better. But the bigger gain is seeing how the ball is traveling through the zone. I spent a portion just watching fastballs and seeing how quickly I could pick up location from the release point. Got better in a hurry. I used to get overpowered and defensive on inside fastballs. Now I'm working the count, looking for something fat middle-in and driving it. See ball, hit ball. Whodathunk?

Another thing BP does is illustrate how far the hitting model has come. The physics finally make consistent sense and the variety is terrific. I really hope SD doesn't kowtow to people asking for a swing stick next year. I said it before, its just a gimmicky abstraction. The guts of a simulation are in the 1s and 0s under the hood driving the results, keep the focus there.

CzarTim

Started another RTTS as a CP. I had 11 saves out of 12 games I played, and a 1.00 ERA. I go into a game get 2 outs, then the 3rd baseman overthrew a routine ground out, afterwords I gave up 5 runs, and we loss... asshole.

Mrbob

Milton Bradley is a beast in this game. I gave him the game off to give him a rest and get some energy back and he still comes up in the clutch for me in a reserve role.

Lilly blew two leads in my last franchise game. Gave up a 2 run homer in the 6th to tie it at 2. I then hit a 2 run homer with ramirez to go up 4-2 after 6. I get the first two out in the 7th, then a single, double, and then two out single ends up tieing the game at 4 after the top half of 7. I pinch hit for Lilly with Bradly in the bottom 7th and on the first pitch he crushes it over the fence, the game winning home run and I hold on to win 5 to 4. Man is money.

Core407

Banned
Man, the online mode makes me wonder. I was playing my 7th game and it was buttery smooth up until the 6th inning where the lag was insane. Managed to squeak by with a 7-5 win but still kind of annoying. Somehow I think the guy was purposely causing the lag because thats when he made his run.

shpankey

not an idiot
Yup, I'm figuring out, Lilly has 6 really great innings in him, but that's it. Pull his ass after that.

Core407

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
why the fuck is Jason Varitek so good in this game?
he was hitting homeruns left and right in 08 too. Fix that shit.

That is why I hate playing with hotzones on. Some guys are just overpowered...

CzarTim

Anyone have any tips for RTTS players? Progression seems slow.

Edit: Is it just me or are the training points MUCH harder to come by for fielders rather than pitcher. My CL gets 50-70 points easy a game while I'm lucky to get 10 a game for my SS.

Edit 2: Most of the goals are too difficult. I.E. REACH BASE SAFELY. Well, I hit a good line drive, but the 2B dove and caught it. Now I'll have 0 points for this game... *SIGH*

Edit 3: I enjoy pitching a lot more than SS. It's annoying though, in the AA I keep getting called in for less than an inning. I haven't given up a run yet, but the second I give up a hit or allow a deep fly, they pull me.

Top Bottom