• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Kingpen

Check your Sam's Clubs if you want a discount. I was strolling in mine today and saw they mistakenly swapped the PSP and PS3 price. They had the PS3 version marked at 35 bucks...

skip

PSP version:

Game 1 -- pirates 12, brewers 5 at miller
Gallardo and bullpen rocked for 22 suspiciously well-placed hits.

Game 2 -- brewers 6, red sox 3 at fenway
Gallardo and McClung calm the mighty boston bats, prince comes through with the grand slam.

Lesson: pirates secretly the best team in baseball. And PSP version is pretty solid overall.

Kccitystar

Blackace said:
The Show's Manny is awesome.. All the way down to the do-rag and the dirty helmet.

Man this game is so damn hawt. Every year they just get better and better. I drafted a great hitting team but man do my starters suck and I pay for it in the 4th and 5th innings all the time..

Also did anyone catch the shot out to operation sports and "the little things thread"?

I think I heard it before but I don't know what exactly is said

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Kccitystar said:
I think I heard it before but I don't know what exactly is said

Something like "They are doing all of the little things today. I wouldn't be surprised if there is discussion about this on the Internet tonight. They can call it "all of the little things thread""

I thought it was an awesome shot out

eznark

Banned
Did anyone know this was the method for getting voice?

Are you guys really that un informed? I've been playing with voice chat since early in MLB 08. As soon as you see the game screen, like, when you get to the point where you can pick your first pitch, each player needs to press L3. Done. Finished. Talk.

I am surprised at how many people do not know this. I found it out last year with a simple google search.

From playstation boards.

Big-E

Minor annoyance I have with RTTS is that your first spring performance does not matter at all. As an SP, I went 3-0 with an era just over 2 and they send me to double A as a reliever. I should have at least garnered a job in the rotation for the double A team.

shpankey

not an idiot
skip said:
PSP version:

Game 1 -- pirates 12, brewers 5 at miller
Gallardo and bullpen rocked for 22 suspiciously well-placed hits.

Game 2 -- brewers 6, red sox 3 at fenway
Gallardo and McClung calm the mighty boston bats, prince comes through with the grand slam.

Lesson: pirates secretly the best team in baseball. And PSP version is pretty solid overall.
Compared to the 08 version for PSP, how much improved are the graphics and animations, lighting, etc? I'm thinking of picking this up.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
shpankey said:
Compared to the 08 version for PSP, how much improved are the graphics and animations, lighting, etc? I'm thinking of picking this up.

Yes, I am close to double dipping on this as well.

Skip if you could type up a few more impressions I would appreciate it.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah push to talk is somewhat annoying but oh well...I need to get a mic!

As far as the little things annoying us in the game, watching these videos helps put things in perspective!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbIVUgW0t0o

I don't think that will replace mlb2k7 superman catch, but it is pretty damn funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3cGmtm81g&feature=related

Virtual Aroid decides he has had enough and tries to escape the game! :lol

I'm not so much complaining as befuddled on why there are no directions on how to make the damn voice work in the game. It doesn't detract a lot, since I play a lot of random people and I don't want to hear what they have to say anyway. It only bugs me in the "why the hell can't I figure this out, now I have to obsess over it" way.
Yes, I am close to double dipping on this as well.

Skip if you could type up a few more impressions I would appreciate it.

I picked up both again this year. I've only played road to the show but it really is just a low res (very, very low res and sparsely populated...no umps, no fans)) version of RTTS on the PS3. Pretty much everything is identical, and it is awesome. I probably will not play any other mode, but having a portable road to the show is 100% worth it in my opinion.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
eznark said:
I picked up both again this year. I've only played road to the show but it really is just a low res (very, very low res and sparsely populated...no umps, no fans)) version of RTTS on the PS3. Pretty much everything is identical, and it is awesome. I probably will not play any other mode, but having a portable road to the show is 100% worth it in my opinion.

Sold!!!!

Macattk15

eznark said:
Griffey looks like shit in that picture, but I just played as the Mariners and when he is in his stance at the plate...picture perfect.

His HR swing isn't picture perfect :(

I play the Mariners almost exclusively .... doing pretty decent with them surprisingly. King Felix and Bedard help me do well and for some reason Carlos Silva has some nasty stuff in this game.

eznark

Banned
Macattk15 said:
His HR swing isn't picture perfect :(

I play the Mariners almost exclusively .... doing pretty decent with them surprisingly. King Felix and Bedard help me do well and for some reason Carlos Silva has some nasty stuff in this game.

Sadly, my buddy hit him in the face twice and struck him out twice. I saw no home runs.

Returners

Question: is there any way to switch back to the 08 baserunning controls? I missed a triple opportunity because I let go of the damm stick just before reaching third and my guy just stopped between 2nd and 3rd :(

edit: also i hate how the damm controls reverse just cause the camera reversed. WTF

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Returners said:
Question: is there any way to switch back to the 08 baserunning controls? I missed a triple opportunity because I let go of the damm stick just before reaching third and my guy just stopped between 2nd and 3rd :(

edit: also i hate how the damm controls reverse just cause the camera reversed. WTF
I think there is a way to do it in the gameplay options.

sun-drop

are there still complaints abt online?

i'm in NZ, new zealand, and granted i get pretty good ping to the states thanks to the transtasmine cable accross the pacific ... but iv played twice now ..and both where lag free. i got 9 hits in the last game i just played now, lost 3-2 and i left the bases loaded at one point.

brilliant.

the online menu could be way better .. i should be able to select a name from my prev matches played and be able to add him to my buddie list easy ...but i can't.

LOVE this game though. i dnt play it nearly as much as fifa, which is by far my go-to game. but man ...something so satisfying about a tight, closley fought game of the show. awesome. i think i punched the sky there in my last game when i hit my 2nd homer ... in my room alone at 6.30am on a sunday ... uhhh ...

Core407

Banned
Jazzy Network said:
Sweet all of a sudden I can't hit anymore. This game can be so frustrating sometimes.

Do you move the analog stick to the location of the ball? I found that just pressing X/Square works pretty well.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I got my "Walk Off In Style" trophy last night winning a 11 inning game with the Yanks with a homer. It was so epic! I can get lost for hours playing this sucker.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ran into a weird bug while playing online. Got to the 7th inning, my opponent was doing stuff in the pause menu (warming up pitchers, pinch hitter etc.) He comes back and the game says 3 outs, and the pitcher and batter walk out of view (still in the batting view). We couldn't do any thing. So the batters box was empty and the pitcher had walked off. We ended up quiting but it sucked, I was winning 1-0.

eznark

Banned
This is lame. Been trying to get a game for 20 minutes while watching the WBC. Every connection is either "Poor" or "Bad."

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've still been enjoying default sliders. More than any other ballgame I've tried. Any good ones online yet through the game? Check there.

Oh btw, I bitched earlier in the thread that I couldn't set special events in franchise. I'm a moron. Just go in the schedule to a home game in the regular season, push the date and it's one of the options there. Dur.

Bog

Junior Ace
Had a hilarious triple in RTTS (where the guy in front of me wanted to stop, but I wouldn't let him since I wanted 3 bases), so I went in to record it, of course, but somehow the recording deal crashed and wouldn't let me out of replay mode. I could still move the camera around and rewind/ff the video, but nothing else worked. Thanks, guys. Awesome feature.

Anyone know how long it takes until you can switch positions in RTTS? LF is ridiculously dull. I've asked the coach a few times, but he keeps shooting me down.

Mrbob

Youkilis is a beast in this game. o_O

I played a random game online....my opponent took the cubbies so i had to take another team. I took the SAWX and wow, Kevin dominated the game.

I won 5 to 3....Youkilis had three home runs that game. Two 2 run homers and a solo shot. My entire offense.

I really hate guess pitch with limited pitches. My opponent kept on calling the 4 seam fastball in his guess pitch...got a couple homers off it. So I decided to jam the hell out of him that game with the four seamer. I got 9 straight outs that game jamming him with the 4 seam fastball since he kept on guessing it. Finally got him to stop guessing that pitch!

A few things...

New Yankee Stadium is beautiful in this game.

Adding custom walkup music makes each stadium feel so damn authentic.

They even recorded the player introductions for Yankee players correctly. (Position - number - name - number)

Switch the fielding camera to low. You feel like you're always on the field and the game's amazing graphics shine even more.

Woody Keller can suck my dick. He is the worst ump ever. There is no way he would be an ump in the Major League for longer than a month. I wish I could send a wild pitch straight to his dome. That bastard has shape shifting strike zone.

Take some cuts (a lot) in batting practice, it really helps.

The bright sunny day lighting is perfect. Game just keeps you saying, "Damn!"

The uniforms look awesome. The way the cloth folds and wrinkles is top notch. I have no idea how they did that. I would love to see a behind the scene feature on just that. The real time infield dirt is also pretty bonkers.

I wish all sports games were this detailed and amazing to look at.

Mrbob

Musashi Wins! said:
I've started to see the wisdom of turning off guess pitch in games. It is sort of cheese.

I wouldn't mind if guess pitch just notified the batter he had the correct pitch coming....what drives me crazy is if the pitch is guessed right, you are screwed as a pitcher. You have no control over the pitch anymore and it can go straight over the middle of the plate. The only defense to it is to make sure the pitch isn't covering the plate at all.

Dez

Mrbob said:
I wouldn't mind if guess pitch just notified the batter he had the correct pitch coming....what drives me crazy is if the pitch is guessed right, you are screwed as a pitcher. You have no control over the pitch anymore and it can go straight over the middle of the plate. The only defense to it is to make sure the pitch isn't covering the plate at all.

you've already selected where you want to throw the pitch. Yes, you lose control of pinpointing the location, but that's necessary.. because if not, then you might intentionally screw up the pitch, and hope it goes away from the strike zone.

The problem with turning guess pitch off is that it's clear the game was designed with that option turned on.. but anyway, I don't mind either way. It's annoying when people only guess fastball all the time.

Returners

Mrbob said:
Youkilis is a beast in this game. o_O

I played a random game online....my opponent took the cubbies so i had to take another team. I took the SAWX and wow, Kevin dominated the game.

I won 5 to 3....Youkilis had three home runs that game. Two 2 run homers and a solo shot. My entire offense.

I really hate guess pitch with limited pitches. My opponent kept on calling the 4 seam fastball in his guess pitch...got a couple homers off it. So I decided to jam the hell out of him that game with the four seamer. I got 9 straight outs that game jamming him with the 4 seam fastball since he kept on guessing it. Finally got him to stop guessing that pitch!

actually i use that tactic sometime. Mainly cause if its NOT the 4 seamer. usually it will be a slower pitch (which helps my timing)

mintylurb

I've been playing this game for the past week or so. Hitting is still hard but I'm slowly getting better at it. Anyway, I did notice that there's a black border when playing in 720P. I have my tv setting at just scan so I'm guessing that means this game isn't exactly running at native 720P contrary to digital foundry's claim. I suppose that explains why it can upscale to 1080P and run at 60fps.

sun-drop

could some 1 explain what the left stick actually does during batting?

so the ball has left the pitchers hand and it's coming my way ... what does the left stick infulence?

is it:

a: controling where i WANT to hit the ball ...ie, high into right field, or a low grounder towards 2nd base ..

OR

b: where i think the ball will be in the strikezone ... so swing my bat in that direction

or is it a combo of both ..ie a ball right down the middle of the strike zone ..if i push my stick top right ..... where will the ball go if i hit it ...would i hit it (assuming my timing is right) ..

sun-drop

so the ball has left the pitchers hand and it's coming my way ... what does the left stick infulence?

is it:

a: controling where i WANT to hit the ball ...ie, high into right field, or a low grounder towards 2nd base ..

OR

b: where i think the ball will be in the strikezone ... so swing my bat in that direction

or is it a combo of both ..ie a ball right down the middle of the strike zone ..if i push my stick top right ..... where will the ball go if i hit it ...would i hit it (assuming my timing is right) ..

sun-drop

is it:

OR

Mrbob

Dez said:
you've already selected where you want to throw the pitch. Yes, you lose control of pinpointing the location, but that's necessary.. because if not, then you might intentionally screw up the pitch, and hope it goes away from the strike zone.

The problem with turning guess pitch off is that it's clear the game was designed with that option turned on.. but anyway, I don't mind either way. It's annoying when people only guess fastball all the time.

I've always figured guess pitch was in to give the game more of an arcade feel...I wouldn't say the game is built around it at all. If anything, the game is built against guess pitch but sony added it to give hitters a better chance at whacking the ball.

If you think about it, you can be looking fastball in real life from a pitcher, but even if you know that pitch is coming it should never alter the angle at which the pitch is being thrown.

Big-E

sun-drop said:

is it:

OR

Its b. If you press L3 after a pitch the game will tell you were your swing was and how late or early you were on the pitch.

Returners

sun-drop said:

is it:

OR

What big-E said, right stick (only up & down) influences ground balls vs. line drives

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So hard to play online...I could not hit lol. Ended up striking out 22 times and they had a perfect game lol. It was too laggy when throwing pitch I didnt even had a chance :/

sun-drop

Returners said:
What big-E said, right stick (only up & down) influences ground balls vs. line drives

ah cool, thanks guys .... umm right stick? how/when do you use that ..my right hand is busy pressing x or square to swing .. :/ ???

Top Bottom