• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 09: The Show - Official Thread

Mrbob

I've played 9 franchise games...and I've noticed a high number of errors coming form throws from 3rd base. Two in the last game, roughly 10 overall in 9 games this season. Not sure why this is happening so often. I've had it happen to me and the cpu. These are just routine ground balls to 3rd as well. Maybe I need to adjust a slider.

CzarTim

These points are bullshit.

Solo HR = 10 Points
Fail to drive in a runner from second x2 = -10 Points.

So I don't progress any because I failed to add MORE points to the board (we were up by 5.) Home runs should be 40 Points solo, and add 10 for each person on base. Ridiculous.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
BigNastyCurve said:
The hell? Who is this guy? Is he for real?
yep, rookie of the year in 2001. But good thing the braves traded him before he sucked.

....no. HBO Show.

_Angelus_

Banned
Maybe one of you guys can help me out. I'm tring to have my batter intro music and homerun music work but it doesn't.

I go to MLB music,I choose my songs. I then go to player edit,pick the songs for the intro and HR music,I then hit start to save the edits,I then save it to profile,settings,and roster,and franchise,not sure about this last one but my point is I save it to every setting I can just to be sure its saving my edits.

Now when I play Franchise I'm loading up all the saves,thats profiles,rosters,etc. Yet the friggin' music never plays. Are you guys having the same problem? What the hell am I doing wrong?

Angelus said:
Maybe one of you guys can help me out. I'm tring to have my batter intro music and homerun music work but it doesn't.

I go to MLB music,I choose my songs. I then go to player edit,pick the songs for the intro and HR music,I then hit start to save the edits,I then save it to profile,settings,and roster,and franchise,not sure about this last one but my point is I save it to every setting I can just to be sure its saving my edits.

Now when I play Franchise I'm loading up all the saves,thats profiles,rosters,etc. Yet the friggin' music never plays. Are you guys having the same problem? What the hell am I doing wrong?
Did you do a roster update? Because the music ties into the roster and when it's updated my understanding is music doesn't carry over.

_Angelus_

Banned
The Frankman said:
Did you do a roster update? Because the music ties into the roster and when it's updated my understanding is music doesn't carry over.

Yeah I did. But I got one a few days ago. I know of the bug that deletes the music from your rosters,but I did the music edits after my roster updates. I make it a point to avoid roster updates unless theyre major anyways,I can edit player movement for the most part.

Btw,who is most likely going to be the Mets #5 guy? I doubt its going to be Garcia since he's looking awful in Spring training. I'm about to use him but if I send him down in the game I'll use one of his options,don't wanna do that unless I really have to. Anyways...Redding,Hernandez,or Neise..which do you think is most likely to get that spot?

Angelus said:
Btw,who is most likely going to be the Mets #5 guy? I doubt its going to be Garcia since he's looking awful in Spring training. I'm about to use him but if I send him down in the game I'll use one of his options,don't wanna do that unless I really have to. Anyways...Redding,Hernandez,or Neise..which do you think is most likely to get that spot?
As of Mets WFAN beat writer right now it looks like Livan will win the job, Niese gets sent down and Redding is the long reliever. However I do not discount the possibility that if something happens to Livan the Mets taking a long hard look at Pedro Martinez. He's been awesome in the WBC and per ESPN was throwing 91-92 on his fastball.

Heck whenever the online league starts I just may sign him myself.

_Angelus_

Banned
The Frankman said:
As of Mets WFAN beat writer right now it looks like Livan will win the job, Niese gets sent down and Redding is the long reliever. However I do not discount the possibility that if something happens to Livan the Mets taking a long hard look at Pedro Martinez. He's been awesome in the WBC and per ESPN was throwing 91-92 on his fastball.

Heck whenever the online league starts I just may sign him myself.

Youre a beat writer Frankman,damn. And here I was thinking you were just simply another nutty fan of the Amazin's. Good going.:D

I haven't been paying any attention to the WBC,good for Pedro though,but I'm weary of a long season with him. Too fragile to be honest,and the guy shouldn't have to relieve for anyone. Just keep him away from the Braves and Phills,let him sign with anyone else.

I just read the last 3 posts :lol :lol

If it makes you feel better I did audition to be Mike Fatscesa's co-host on WFAN last year; why I submitted myself just to hear "I HAVE SAUCES!!!" and "You're a stupid Mets fan, wat do you know??" for over 5 hours I'll never know. I'm also a proofreader for the articles on TheKnicksBlog.com.

templeusox said:
On another note, I really like Brandon Inge. I REALLY like Brandon Inge. I like him a lot.
:lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZAuH7pSgc

Can't believe later on he implied Inge was as good as Wright. No wonder Wright is boycotting Mike'd Up on WFAN now...

Man, I'm getting so off-topic. I'll repost the instructions I got for clipping the music:

Yeah, once I added the tracks to the MY MLB MUSIC it was a piece of cake. Here's how.
Once you download the clip into your PS hard drive go to the game and MY MLB MUSIC.
You'll see those songs on the left, PAGE1
To the right is the CUSTOM PLAYLIST
Hit X and transfer the song left to right, you'll see it appear in the CUSTOM PLAYLIST
back out of this screen
Go to SOUNDS OF THE SHOW
EDIT PLAYERS
For example, we'll use the first screen Baltimore and Nick Markakis
Hit X to EDIT PLAYER
Press R1 until you see the PERSONALIZE screen for Nick
Scroll down to WALKUP MUSIC hit X
Use R1 to scroll through your pages of music
find the clip you want and hit X
A window that says CHOOSE MUSIC START INDEX pops up
MARK 1, START POINT is already highlighted
Hit X
NOW....hit the O button on your controller to back out.
You'll see the new clip in his WALKUP MUSIC line
Press START to FINISH
ACCEPT CHANGES AND PROCEED?
Hit OK
You are done. Remember to SAVE that roster file as it will attach those songs to the player.

_Angelus_

Banned
The Frankman said:
:lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZAuH7pSgc

Can't believe later on he implied Inge was as good as Wright. No wonder Wright is boycotting Mike'd Up on WFAN now...

Man, I'm getting so off-topic. I'll repost the instructions I got for clipping the music:

Thanks Frankman,I'll give them a go tomorrow. Gary Cohen HomeRun calls will be so damn nice to hear when the Amazins take these guys deep.

Having Manny on your team can be pretty funny. His reputation for a complete lack of hustle carries over into the game.

He hustles to catch a pop fly...
"Well that was out of character for Manny to move that fast" (or something to that regard, this was Saturday when it happened)

They also take shot at him when his batting isn't the greatest.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
templeusox said:
On another note, I really like Brandon Inge. I REALLY like Brandon Inge. I like him a lot.

heh. The first video I made with the game was him making an error in an exhibition game and me sending it to a friend saying it was going to be a long year at 3rd. Now he's practically gone!

shpankey

not an idiot
templeusox said:
Picture+2.png

bryehn

shpankey said:
I love the WBC. How can you not enjoy that USA-Can game just now? You have no pulse. Holy crap.

That game was so good. Assuming Canada takes out Italy today the next CAN/USA game should be good too. Kinda sucks they're in the same pool though.

Even in years with no WBC, I'd like to see a CAN/USA game, two really good teams, though Canada's pitching roster could really use Ryan Dempster.

I thought baseball fans liked the WBC, it's pretty popular here in Canada. I find it way more interesting than regular old spring training. I just love the sport though, not really a "team" guy, well besides the Jays of course.

I'm just getting around to starting my season now. Decided to do my RTTS on PS3 this year too, just not feeling the PSP version as much as I used to.

I just played 2K9 on the Wii and it's so damn terrible. The compression on the announcer's voices sounds so bad. The motion controls are a laggy mess. Why can no one make a good Wii baseball game? Why am I never required to swing like a real batter either?

Sorry to rant in here, but searching "MLB 2K9" on GAF is rather pointless.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
I've played 9 franchise games...and I've noticed a high number of errors coming form throws from 3rd base. Two in the last game, roughly 10 overall in 9 games this season. Not sure why this is happening so often. I've had it happen to me and the cpu. These are just routine ground balls to 3rd as well. Maybe I need to adjust a slider.

Why did you trade for Bill Hall?

shpankey

not an idiot
man i was up 5-0 on the brewers and then a storm came in and blinked my power out. i go back into franchise, start the game over, lose 0-5. FUCK!

skip

what's with everyone telling stories of beating up on the brewers?

today: milwaukee 9, houston 5 -- 17 hits for the good guys

TAKE THAT

(batting practice helps so, so much)

Mrbob

These Pedroia vs Playstation ads are the best sports ads I've seen for a video game in the longest time. :lol

eznark said:
Why did you trade for Bill Hall?

Seems like the whole league is full of Bill Halls. :/

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
These Pedroia vs Playstation ads are the best sports ads I've seen for a video game in the longest time. :lol

Seems like the whole league is full of Bill Halls. :/

I hold my breath every time there is a ground ball or I throw a low breaking pitch. Tons of passed balls and air mailed throws.

I had another 15+ strikeout performance from Gallardo today. Dude is absolutely sick.

CzarTim

I hate the Advancement Goals. Fuck you coaches, I'm not working on bunting.

Anyway, I got done with the AA season, got on the 40 man roster and got called up to the Majors. But before I played one game, I got optioned to AAA because I didn't do the Advancement Goals.

Macattk15

eznark said:
I hold my breath every time there is a ground ball or I throw a low breaking pitch. Tons of passed balls and air mailed throws.

I had another 15+ strikeout performance from Gallardo today. Dude is absolutely sick.

I seriously have the same thing. So many fucking airmailed throws from Shortstop and 3rd. Sickens me. And the Mariners have a pretty damn high Defense rating.

Windu

czartim said:
I hate the Advancement Goals. Fuck you coaches, I'm not working on bunting.

Anyway, I got done with the AA season, got on the 40 man roster and got called up to the Majors. But before I played one game, I got optioned to AAA because I didn't do the Advancement Goals.
I wish you could turn those off and just put your points into whatever you wanted.

Mrbob

eznark said:

Yeah I was too for the longest time, then I realized the breaks on the ball are greater this year than last year. So I've been setting up my breaking pitches a bit higher now and getting good results.

I can't believe a big deal hasn't been made about the throwing in the game. For the past three iterations, the throwing has been broken. You could tap the button and the fielder'll still throw the ball harder than fuck.

I guess im just now getting riled up over this because Ive lost 4 games online thanks to throwing errors, but still, its long overdue.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Yeah I was too for the longest time, then I realized the breaks on the ball are greater this year than last year. So I've been setting up my breaking pitches a bit higher now and getting good results.

Oh, these are balls I am purposely throwing in the dirt. I know your crappy pitchers don't have the ability of Gallardo to pinpoint a 12-6 curveball so you have to be ginger about where you are throwing it. Thing is, they are NEVER blocked and it happens to CPU opponents as well. I've reached first on 3rd strike passed balls more in two weeks than it happens in an entire year in real life.

shpankey

not an idiot
Yup, it's happening quite a bit to me too. In the 10 games I've probably played, I know for a fact it's happened 3 times, but I think 4. Strike-out ball in the dirt becomes passed ball and I haul ass to first, safe.

Sanjuro

I lost power late last night until this morning. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucking glad I hit a walk-off in the bottom of the 17th in a 1 hour and 21 minute ballgame. If my power went out during that I would have been rip shit.

He did not throw a high pitch the entire game with the Mets. I started with Lester and gave up one run in the 2nd as he bunted his way to second/third and got a single with two outs. He had Santana going and got the run back in the 4th moving to second on a passed ball and a single. Stretched out Lester to the 11th with 127 pitches...brought in Manny Delcarmen for 4 and finished the game out with Masterson. Ended up getting Drew onto first and finally catching him on a changeup without much movement with Lowell over the monster.

http://mlb09ps3html-prod.sc.online.scea.com/MLB09/game/game_results_web.php?GameID=120513

Windu

MLB 09: The Show - The System Seller?

It certainly was a system seller for me. If the 2k baseball games were any good, I wouldn't have bought a PS3. But because 2k wasn't great and I was desperate for baseball, I bought a PS3 for The Show. Still the only games I have for the system.

Windu said:
MLB 09: The Show - The System Seller?

It certainly was a system seller for me. If the 2k baseball games were any good, I wouldn't have bought a PS3. But because 2k wasn't great and I was desperate for baseball, I bought a PS3 for The Show. Still the only games I have for the system.
In all seriousness, I know more people who have bought the system for The Show than KZ2. That might speak more to the people I fraternize with, but there you go. It also speaks to the importance of "owning" specific genres.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Started RTTS. Got drafted by the Astros at 3B, played several games, hit my first HR, and had the game freeze on me while in the field. Good thing for autosave after every game. Right?

Pitcher for the Royals right now, just got called up to their AAA team, absolutely loving it so far. Although I don't remember advancement goals being so tough last year.

Sanjuro

I've never played a game for the console until MLB 09. (sans demos/trials and 15 mins or so with rented Killzone 2.)

I've owned a PS3 since launch.

Top Bottom